Penta or Bridgestone RX-S?

I have a higher swing speed so for me it's the Penta. The RX-s just doesn't perform consistently for me.

I have a higher swing speed so for me it's the Penta. The RX-s just doesn't perform consistently for me.
With your swing speed no way the RXS would work for you Biggsy. Maybe the B330-S but not the RXS. The latter was designed for players with sub 105 mph swing speeds.

I was never a fan of the RXS, like the RX much better, along with the 2011 e7 which I used today. I had used the Penta ball pretty extensively last year, but am getting now where though I still like it, I really like the RX and the e7. I was really pleased with how the e7 played today.

I have been swapping back and forth from the 2010 Pro V1x and V1, the Penta and the 330Rx. I have not noticed much difference in distance in any of the balls and my driver swing speed is around 95-98. I have not tried the RXS. It will be my next one to try. I like the spin I get with the Penta and V1's but the standard RX was not getting it done on the harder greens. I played an e6 most of last season and love the compression of the ball off the Tee I just cant get it to stop on the harder greens.

Im going to try the 330RXS next, maybe it will be the best of both worlds.

PS: I shot my all time low 76 two weeks ago with a Penta used it the entire round and it still looked good when I was done.

With your swing speed no way the RXS would work for you Biggsy. Maybe the B330-S but not the RXS. The latter was designed for players with sub 105 mph swing speeds.

I tried hitting it still. Even against JBs doing, it was more of a test. I believe I posted my results in that testing thread a while back. You never know unless you try and I had some free time to try it. I still think it's on of the better feeling balls around the green and my favorite to putt with. Off the driver it was like a marshmallow.

I tried hitting it still. Even against JBs doing, it was more of a test. I believe I posted my results in that testing thread a while back. You never know unless you try and I had some free time to try it. I still think it's on of the better feeling balls around the green and my favorite to putt with. Off the driver it was like a marshmallow.
I'm sure it was! But I can see how you'd like it around the greens.

biggsy are you talking about the bridgestone? the marshmallowness? only asking because i am confused by the post.

Yes he was. With his SS being at up to 130mph, the ball compresses too much for him. When he was fit, he was fit for the higher compression Bridgestone balls.

biggsy are you talking about the bridgestone? the marshmallowness? only asking because i am confused by the post.

At his SS, a steel ball bearing feels like a marshmallow.

Damn I knew he was long but 130 SS - holy crap batman.

350 yard drive = 3 foot putt biggsy.

Lol that's me rationalizing you

How does the RXS compare to the Z-Star balls? I have a 102 SS which would suit me better?

How does the RXS compare to the Z-Star balls? I have a 102 SS which would suit me better?

Both would be compressable (not a real word), so it would come down to other numbers and preferences. I would venture to say that the RXS would spin less off the tee which would be a good thing in many cases.

I played an e6 most of last season and love the compression of the ball off the Tee I just cant get it to stop on the harder greens.

Im going to try the 330RXS next, maybe it will be the best of both worlds.

Have you tried the new e5 ? I was at a Bridgestone ball fitting last week and a guy in front of me hit both the 330RXS and the e5. The number were so close that the Bridgestone tech recommended that he play the e% and save the extra $$$.

is the RX more forgiving then the Penta? looking to make a change

My swing speed is comparable to yours. I spent some time testing these against each other a month or two ago. I would say they are both very good balls and you should try a sleeve of each to see which you like better. My recollection is the Bridgestone balls stopped a little quicker on approach shots, were a bit straighter off the tee and were just as long off the driver. Several times during my testing I experienced that the balls felt very different off the driver but were exactly the same distance. I would need to go back and find my posts to be sure, but I think it was that it felt like I absolutely crushed the Z Star and the B/Stone felt just okay. Now some might prefer the Z Star because of the feeling of crushing it. I tended to lean the other way - even though it didn't feel as good off the driver the performance was better (equal distance but straighter) and it was better into the greens. But again, that's why I recommend buying a sleeve of each and trying it for yourself.

EDIT: it was very wet and colder here in the PNW when I tested the balls. That meant zero rollout off the driver and more stopping power on approach shots. Performance would like be different now that it is warm and dry...it would be interesting to give this another round of testing to see how it plays out.

is the RX more forgiving then the Penta? looking to make a change

Well i has a soft core that allows maximum compression for swing speeds under 105 which allows the user to use the full potential of the ball unlike the penta-for me at least- I was only taking advantage of the mantle layer so the RX went longer and straighter for me due to the gradational compression core.

Dead men walking
UId46J87yqhq1r3dxSaNG3m5o1_500.jpg

I am going to try the E6 vs the B330-RX. I looked at the q-star but I didnt particulary love the AD333 and I hear they are about the same ball.

I am going to try the E6 vs the B330-RX. I looked at the q-star but I didnt particulary love the AD333 and I hear they are about the same ball.

In my personal opinion, they are not the same ball at all, trust me- check out this thread about the 2012 srixon golf balls and talk to the morgan cup cleveland staffers about the q star and hopefully it will encourage you to try it, you may find something you like!

In my opinion, the q star is right in between the E6 and the B330 series, it has the distance of the E6 and the spin of the B330-RX, I really recommend this ball.

I know plenty of people like the E6 but in my opinion a) there's really no point comparing it to the RX, as the RX is clearly superior and b) the Top Flight Gamer 2 is superior to the E6 and slightly closer to the RX. If you want to experiment with something cheaper than the RX give the Gamer2 a try. I have read plenty of great stuff about the Q star (sounds like an upgrade from the Gamer 2) but haven't played it. I might buy a sleeve tomorrow and sneak in 9 with them.

I know plenty of people like the E6 but in my opinion a) there's really no point comparing it to the RX, as the RX is clearly superior and b) the Top Flight Gamer 2 is superior to the E6 and slightly closer to the RX. If you want to experiment with something cheaper than the RX give the Gamer2 a try. I have read plenty of great stuff about the Q star (sounds like an upgrade from the Gamer 2) but haven't played it. I might buy a sleeve tomorrow and sneak in 9 with them.

How is the Top Flight closer to the RX than the e6? The Gamer and e6 both share similar covers, similar layers and compression is not too far off. Im curious what makes one closer to the RX than the other?

How is the Top Flight closer to the RX than the e6? The Gamer and e6 both share similar covers, similar layers and compression is not too far off. Im curious what makes one closer to the RX than the other?

Fair question and maybe my statement was loose with language. I have pretty consistently found the Gamer2 to have a lot less roll out than the E6 on approach shots but still less than the RX. That is what I was thinking about when I said in between.

E6- Shortest, straight, most rollout on approach shots
G2 - Longer, straight, less roll out
RX - Comparable G2 length, almost as straight, even less roll out

Fair question and maybe my statement was loose with language. I have pretty consistently found the Gamer2 to have a lot less roll out than the E6 on approach shots but still less than the RX. That is what I was thinking about when I said in between.

E6- Shortest, straight, most rollout on approach shots
G2 - Longer, straight, less roll out
RX - Comparable G2 length, almost as straight, even less roll out

I guess different strokes for different folks and that is why ball fitting can be so crucial. I find the e6 and gamer to be very similar in all categories except off the tee where the e6 is considerably longer for me (completely based on fitting of course and compression). Im still unsure how one is spinnier than the other based on manufacturing. I have seen multiple tests that show this one spins more than that one and vice versa, but in the end, spin comes down to technique first and the urethane cover second. I have yet to find a surlyn ball that spins any more than any of the other ones based on launch monitor numbers.

I am guessing that for some, technique might be quite the big thing here and then it would come down to ball flight and using flight to show roll out.

I guess different strokes for different folks and that is why ball fitting can be so crucial. I find the e6 and gamer to be very similar in all categories except off the tee where the e6 is considerably longer for me (completely based on fitting of course and compression). Im still unsure how one is spinnier than the other based on manufacturing. I have seen multiple tests that show this one spins more than that one and vice versa, but in the end, spin comes down to technique first and the urethane cover second. I have yet to find a surlyn ball that spins any more than any of the other ones based on launch monitor numbers.

I am guessing that for some, technique might be quite the big thing here and then it would come down to ball flight and using flight to show roll out.

Interesting. I consistently got 15 - 20 yards less on average with the e6 vs. the G2; I don't think I've ever hit an e6 driver longer than a G2 driver. I understand your point about spin when they are constructed similarly. I don't know. My swing is always a work in progress (unfortunately) but the sample size is big enough to account for that. The G2 with 9i or wedge was commonly 1 bounce and some roll - say maybe 6' to 8' - from the pitch mark. The e6 would be more like a couple of bounces and roll out to maybe 10' from the pitch mark (FWIW, the RX would be 1 bounce and less than 6' from the mark).

I never appreciated the difference in balls before this season. My big take away is to buy sleeves...it can suck having a bunch of balls laying around that you aren't fond of :)

If one is getting 20 yards or more from one ball to the next, it is almost always a ball flight/compression issue and points more to getting fit off the tee more than anything else. If someone is say overcompressing a ball, they will balloon it and could result in shorter drives.

Thanks for that input. There was a ball flight difference consistent with what you describe.

Back