Ping Anser Driver Review - Forum Testing

Rumour has it that MikeDean has hit 6 of 7 fairways on the front 9 during his round today..

That's some SERIOUS accuracy with the Anser.

6 of 7 on the day, the one I missed was 2 feet into first cut

Some long ones, some not so long

Loved it

I love only missing one fairway. I did that this past Tuesday and shot a decent score.

I love only missing one fairway. I did that this past Tuesday and shot a decent score.

No joke, ill post the numbers later but I had 4 in the 220s, 2 in the 240s and 1 in the 250s distance wise

Shot 40, super excited, so much so I didn't play back 9

Because usually there is a 1 to 1 relationship between loft and face angle. Close the face adds loft, open the face decreases loft. This is all relative to the face being returned to square at impact. This driver can adjust loft by .5*, like I already stated.

Well, learn something new everyday. Ive always thought that shutting the face lowered the loft.

So if I have the 9.5 set to + its a 10* with a shut face ?

tapp tapp tapp tappatalk

Well, learn something new everyday. Ive always thought that shutting the face lowered the loft.

tapp tapp tapp tappatalk

Yep that's what I'm playing now

tapp tapp tapp tappatalk

Well, I used to always assume the exact same thing too because it just seems to make sense. Close face lower loft. But its actually the opposite. So yeah if you set a 9.5* to 10* the face will be closed. But there are some drivers with technology that keeps the face square out there.

Thanks both you guys. It threw me for a loop when I went from 9 to 10 and started hooking the ball. I think I'll leave it neutral and forgetabougit

tapp tapp tapp tappatalk

Thanks both you guys. It threw me for a loop when I went from 9 to 10 and started hooking the ball. I think I'll leave it neutral and forgetabougit

tapp tapp tapp tappatalk

Yeah I'm hoping to get back to that when my "fade" goes away

6 of 7 on the day, the one I missed was 2 feet into first cut

Some long ones, some not so long

Loved it

that is awesome work MD, nice job.

Love the fade dude, unless its "The FADE". Great work in here.

Yeah this driver really hasnt produced "THE FADE" like my old Burner 2.0 and even my VRS used to

Not nearly as penalizing as those unless you make a real FUGLY swing on it

Shaft Fitting at Golf Tec

So I went with both the Diamana 'Ahina and the TFC 800D to get a shaft fitting at my local Golf Tec. I have been doing lessons there for the past few months and my Pro said he would help me decide between the two shafts. I have some good news and bad news to this fitting. It went really great and we were able to nail some numbers down. I thought that I was going to be able to access them online after the fitting, but they didn't get saved and I don't have the actual numbers. I do have what I remember the averages were. Here they are.

TFC 800D Standard setting-
16.5* Launch
2700 Spin
140 ball speed
232 carry

Diamana 'Ahina 9* setting-
12* Launch
3000 spin
144 ball speed
244 carry

Edit the numbers were saved and just emailed to me!

Here they are.

Spoiler

shaftdata.jpg

We went through and played with the settings a ton after we realized the 'Ahina was the best for me. It seemed like my launch angle didn't really change much, but my spin increased the more I increased the loft. That is why we went with the 9* setting and decided to work on increasing my launch angle with lessons. Over the 'Ahina was giving me about 10 mph more ball speed and more carry. This translates to longer drives. I also seemed more consistent with it.

So the winner of the shaft fitting was the-

Diamana 'Ahina Stiff

Previous post
Spoiler

Last edited:
Seems like similar results to my fitting, more speed and distance, congrats on locking down ur shaft

Shaft Fitting at Golf Tec

So I went with both the Diamana 'Ahina and the TFC 800D to get a shaft fitting at my local Golf Tec. I have been doing lessons there for the past few months and my Pro said he would help me decide between the two shafts. I have some good news and bad news to this fitting. It went really great and we were able to nail some numbers down. I thought that I was going to be able to access them online after the fitting, but they didn't get saved and I don't have the actual numbers. I do have what I remember the averages were. Here they are.

TFC 800D Standard setting-
16.5* Launch
2700 Spin
140 ball speed
232 carry

Diamana 'Ahina 9* setting-
12* Launch
3000 spin
144 ball speed
244 carry

Edit the numbers were saved and just emailed to me!

Here they are.

Spoiler

shaftdata.jpg

We went through and played with the settings a ton after we realized the 'Ahina was the best for me. It seemed like my launch angle didn't really change much, but my spin increased the more I increased the loft. That is why we went with the 9* setting and decided to work on increasing my launch angle with lessons. Over the 'Ahina was giving me about 10 mph more ball speed and more carry. This translates to longer drives. I also seemed more consistent with it.

So the winner of the shaft fitting was the-

Diamana 'Ahina Stiff

Previous post
Spoiler

Nice Grant!! So are you going to play the Diamana at -1?

Nice Grant!! So are you going to play the Diamana at -1?

That is my plan right now. I was pretty impressed with the numbers at that setting. I would be happy with a 265 average all day.

That is my plan right now. I was pretty impressed with the numbers at that setting. I would be happy with a 265 average all day.

It was the first thing that stood out to me. A couple turns of the wrench and you're looking at 10+ yards? Nice.

The last two had awesome descent!

It was the first thing that stood out to me. A couple turns of the wrench and you're looking at 10+ yards? Nice.

The last two had awesome descent!

Is 38 a good number? I have never looked at that before.

Is 38 a good number? I have never looked at that before.

Hah, unless I got fed a line, yes.

When Mike did his fitting I had a descent angle of 42-46 with the Classic and the Anser in stiff. He said that a descent under 40 helps to generate rollout..

Anything above 40 is more incline to plug, which I am admittedly awesome at doing.

Hah, unless I got fed a line, yes.

When Mike did his fitting I had a descent angle of 42-46 with the Classic and the Anser in stiff. He said that a descent under 40 helps to generate rollout..

Anything above 40 is more incline to plug, which I am admittedly awesome at doing.

Nice. I never knew that. I have been know to plug a drive with my old driver. I moved to a 9.5* head from a 10.5* head to help get more roll out.

Was giving the Anser the business at the range this evening! I was actually hitting everything extremely well. Haven't swung a club in a couple of weeks and was just swinging and forgot about all the mechanics for once. It felt really good! I had great results and was really loving the flight I get out of this driver. Starts low, steady continuous climb up to pretty damned high, ending off with a very shallow decent with some decent roll. I can't find much to complain about.

Driving for show and chutting for dough

I am excited to see how the fitted Anser does for me on the course today.

Tapatalkin

This is awesome Grant, love seeing the hard numbers. Makes me wish I was able to get the numbers from my fitting; shouldve stuck with GolfTec. I would take 265 all day long too. Did you use your pro v1x on all the setups or just the last one? Any word from Ping if they will let you send the TFC to our fellow tester kmac?

This is awesome Grant, love seeing the hard numbers. Makes me wish I was able to get the numbers from my fitting; shouldve stuck with GolfTec. I would take 265 all day long too. Did you use your pro v1x on all the setups or just the last one? Any word from Ping if they will let you send the TFC to our fellow tester kmac?

I used a Callaway black the whole fitting till the end. I just wanted to see the difference with the Pro V1x. Ping did say it was cool to send it to KMac. I am going to ship it out first of next week.

Tapatalkin

Back