Ping Anser Driver Review - Forum Testing

Looks like a sensational club. Going to have a demo of it just as soon as I can. Will be a nice upgrade I think to the G15 I have been playing with for a few months now.

I think you will like it Susan. It has a lot of qualities that the G15 has, but I bet you will gain a little bit of distance. That is always nice. :act-up:

I think you will like it Susan. It has a lot of qualities that the G15 has, but I bet you will gain a little bit of distance. That is always nice. :act-up:

And looks 1000x better. Whats better then gaining some distance? Looking good while you do it.

And looks 1000x better. Whats better then gaining some distance? Looking good while you do it.

This is true dude. I love the flat black look. I just need to add a reminder down there to swing easy. HAHA

Looks like a sensational club. Going to have a demo of it just as soon as I can. Will be a nice upgrade I think to the G15 I have been playing with for a few months now.

Definitely worth a shot, let us know how it goes

This is true dude. I love the flat black look. I just need to add a reminder down there to swing easy. HAHA

Definitely worth a shot, let us know how it goes

I totally agree with these guys. I'd be surprised if you dont find more success with it over the G15. The matte black is awesome, so come back and let us know how it goes.

Ping Driver Testing...9.5* Neutral Diamana Ahina Shaft
11/9/12
Hamilton Elks Golf Course, 9 holes Red course
58*, sunny, slight winds

It had seemed like an eternity since I had swung a club. I had to take advantage of the great weather coming our way, even though I was heading out of town. I only had time for 9 holes, but my focus today was on hitting driver everywhere I could and really trying to "get through" the ball. In the past few months Ive struggled with quitting my swing at impact, which I believe is part of the reason Im hitting balls right so often.

Hole #1-350 yard Par 4--Hole is a dogleg right. Tee ball was 231 yards that I pushed out to the right in what Ive come to call "my spot" which is usually blocked by trees on the 2nd shot. Ball flight was very high.

Hole #2-395 yard Par 4--Dogleg right. Hit this one 240 yards dead straight, which put me through the dogleg and into the rough. I was OK with this as I was just trying to make good contact and hit the ball straight.

Hole #4-363 yard Par 4--Short par 4, hard dogleg left, usually a 5I or 7W off of the tee. Again hit this one straight, through the dogleg and into the trees. Ball hit trees right around 220 yards.

Hole #6-515 yard Par 5--Pretty straight off of the tee then the rest of the hole goes left. Similar tee ball to #1, high and right, 221 yards to the right of the cartpath, basically jail on this hole.

Hole #7-300 yard Par 4--Dead straight hole, usually an iron off of the tee as the front of the green is covered my water. Hit a line drive left on this one, though I was near a trap in the left rough, ended up finding my ball up on the left side near the water with a lob wedge into the green, 251 yard shot, almost had to have been tree aided.

Hole #8-490 yard par 5--Pretty open off of the tee, 242 yards right down the middle, high ball flight didnt look like I got much roll on it at all, but felt good at impact.

Hole #9-365 yard Par 4--Straight forward off of the tee, 224 yards down the right side of the fairway, another high ball flight that didnt much distance.

All in all I hit 2 of 7 fairways, but 2 of my misses were on holes I dont typically hit driver, that if it wasnt a dogleg I would have been right down the middle of the fairway, so for testing purposes I can live with that.

I then spent some time on the range with the driver. Was either hitting it somewhat straight or was "fading"/pushing balls right. Most seemed shy of the 250 marker on the range as far as distances goes. Will continue to focus on swinging through the ball in hopes of getting more consistent results on the course.

Sounds like a rough day out there with the Anser Mike. I don't want to sound harsh with this question, but when was the last time you had a really great day out there with the Anser? What was going for you that day? I had a rough day on Monday and I am trying to figure out how to fix it.

Sounds like a rough day out there with the Anser Mike. I don't want to sound harsh with this question, but when was the last time you had a really great day out there with the Anser? What was going for you that day? I had a rough day on Monday and I am trying to figure out how to fix it.

Best Day I had with it was October with Canadan at Yankee Trace. Couldnt miss a fairway and when I did it was not by much. Was crazy windy that day too and distances were terrible but they were going straight.

It certainly wasnt my worse day with it, 2 out of 7 could have easily have been 4 out of 7 on a non dogleg hole. Forcing myself to hit driver on holes that arent for drivers probably isnt the best thing in the world to be doing, but I just want to ht the ball straight and get it dialed in. Sure I'll have some bad swings, but as long as there are less of them over time, I'll be fine with that

Best Day I had with it was October with Canadan at Yankee Trace. Couldnt miss a fairway and when I did it was not by much. Was crazy windy that day too and distances were terrible but they were going straight.

It certainly wasnt my worse day with it, 2 out of 7 could have easily have been 4 out of 7 on a non dogleg hole. Forcing myself to hit driver on holes that arent for drivers probably isnt the best thing in the world to be doing, but I just want to ht the ball straight and get it dialed in. Sure I'll have some bad swings, but as long as there are less of them over time, I'll be fine with that

Do you blame the other misses on the driver "arrow" or the "Indian"? Most of my misses tend to be because I am getting to flat or over swinging, which causes an over the top move. I have had some really great days with this driver and I have been debating if I have had more with this driver over other drivers I have played. How do you think it compared to the Classic?

I have had some really great days with this driver and I have been debating if I have had more with this driver over other drivers I have played. How do you think it compared to the Classic?

I have this conversation with myself all the time. I've had some of my best driving days this year with the Anser and also some of my worst. Probably my best drive to date was with the Anser at the STL Tour Van Stop, but I have had many forgettable misses since. I really like the lower ball flight on those dry fast days, but think I need more help with my spin for more carry yardage overall. If we get a break in the weather, I might have to fit in 9 holes where I do some side by side with the high spin SuperTri.

Do you blame the other misses on the driver "arrow" or the "Indian"? Most of my misses tend to be because I am getting to flat or over swinging, which causes an over the top move. I have had some really great days with this driver and I have been debating if I have had more with this driver over other drivers I have played. How do you think it compared to the Classic?

Oh I'll take the blunt of the blame, as I know my swing is inconsistent and I have things to work on. But that same day, I hit the Classic better both on the course at at the range rotating shots.

I have this conversation with myself all the time. I've had some of my best driving days this year with the Anser and also some of my worst. Probably my best drive to date was with the Anser at the STL Tour Van Stop, but I have had many forgettable misses since. I really like the lower ball flight on those dry fast days, but think I need more help with my spin for more carry yardage overall. If we get a break in the weather, I might have to fit in 9 holes where I do some side by side with the high spin SuperTri.

I don't know if I have had as bad of misses has older drivers. Actually one of the worst combos I had was the RIP shaft and the Razr Hawk head. Once I changed out the shaft it was one of the best drivers I've ever played. I think the Anser is right up there with the Matrix/Razr Hawk combo.

Oh I'll take the blunt of the blame, as I know my swing is inconsistent and I have things to work on. But that same day, I hit the Classic better both on the course at at the range rotating shots.

What do you think made the Classic preform better? Lighter swing weight? Lighter shaft? I think both the Classic and Anser are both low spin heads.

Interesting, were your misses similar with both?

I don't know if I have had as bad of misses has older drivers. Actually one of the worst combos I had was the RIP shaft and the Razr Hawk head. Once I changed out the shaft it was one of the best drivers I've ever played. I think the Anser is right up there with the Matrix/Razr Hawk combo.

What do you think made the Classic preform better? Lighter swing weight? Lighter shaft? I think both the Classic and Anser are both low spin heads.

I have no idea, I'm going to keep trying the comparison and see what comes from it and hopefully be able better answer that.

Interesting, were your misses similar with both?
Too early to tell me Cleveland misses were a little bit of everything

Ping Anser 9.5* Adjustable Driver update

Ping Anser 9.5* Adjustable Driver update

Date: 11/14/2012
Club Tested: Ping Anser Adjustable driver 9.5* w/ B. Asha shaft
Ball Used: Srixon Soft Feel
Conditions: 50* some wind

Played 18 today and this is how things ended up with the Anser. Played the white tees here which plays at 6,148 yards.

8/13 fairways which lead to 7 GIR's on the day and shot a 43/43 for an 86.

Hole #1 360 par 4. 261 just missed the FW on the left side and still got the GIR.
Hole #3 380 par 4. 229 missed this one left too
Hole #4 325 par 4. 227 in the middle of FW
Hole #5 480 par 5. Snap hook OB and lost ball.
Hole #7 366 par 4. 238 in the middle of FW
Hole #9 385 par 4. 252 in the fairway.
Hole #10 405 par 4. 257 in the fairway
Hole #11 470 par 5. 230 in the fairway.
Hole #12 365 par 4. 229 missed left.
Hole #13 407 par 4. Pop up, literally straight up in the air and barely made the fairway, awful swing.
Hole #15 353 par 4. 241 in the fairway.
Hole #16 480 par 5. 251 in the fairway.
Hole #18 414 par 4. 230 in right side fairway bunker.

Distance was all over the place today but seemed to hover around 230 which is short. What I think Im starting to see is a combination of a few things. Colder temps leading to less carry and shots that miss the sweet spot are more penal then I thought. It seemed that most of those 230 range shots were off the toe area all day. I do like the ball flight Im seeing with the B Asha but the ball does seem to be falling fast in the cold air. I did have a spell of the lefts today too which Im fairly certain is me getting too far to the inside on my takeaway. When I corrected that I saw a dead straight ball flight.

Really good write ups and thoughts guys. I am curious to find out if you guys come to a consensus about the 'big' misses you have had. It seems like overall you are all having success with it for the most part though.

Really good write ups and thoughts guys. I am curious to find out if you guys come to a consensus about the 'big' misses you have had. It seems like overall you are all having success with it for the most part though.

So far for me the big miss is the occasional snap hook. Ive missed less and less right with the Anser.

I have found my miss to be a push to the right lately. I just don't get my hands turned over to square the face.

Im in the same boat with Grant on the shots right. I can count on 2 hands how many balls Ive hit left lol

This testing is now complete. Thank you to the testers for your work in this thread.

With the testing wrapping up and my rounds of remaining golf being limited I wanted to thank THP and Ping for this wonderful opportunity.

This was the first year Ive switched drivers on multiple occasions trying to find the right fit for me. This testing could not have come at a better time personally as I just was not pleased at all with the VRS and was eager to try this out.

The fitting process was great and eye opening at the differences between the few shafts I was able to try out. Im disappointed in myself that I was never able to achieve even remotely close to the distances that I was seeing on the launch monitor as compared to when I was out on the course. Almost a 30 yard difference average wise.

This is a solid driver, sure the sound gets a bit annoying, but as you can see throughout the process, we all experienced some really good days with it and results speak volumes. Some testers had some amazing days with this that lead to some low scores and some crazy distances off of the tee. My plan is to work on the winter with some lessons and either through that process or once Spring rolls around give this club another chance and see what kind of differences I see from both dispersion and distances.

I'll continue to post here with any updates I may have and please continue to ask questions in here as we are still all eager to help out or share our experiences with the Anser.

Great great job guys - thanks for the effort and the great write ups!!

I have noticed that your typical miss hasn't been as pronounced with it as other drivers have been

So far for me the big miss is the occasional snap hook. Ive missed less and less right with the Anser.

This testing is now complete. Thank you to the testers for your work in this thread.

I just wanted to give some props to the testers, I loved all the information you all brought on this driver. Thanks.

I just wanted to give some props to the testers, I loved all the information you all brought on this driver. Thanks.

Thanks man, I really enjoyed the process, and from start to finish its really been a learning experience for me, one that I hope to build upon in the future.

Back