Ping Anser Driver Review - Forum Testing

Agree... I just sold my G25, because I need the lower spin the anser provides. Both are great drivers, though.

I think the Anser is very forgiving. I find it interesting, though, that it is one of the top choices for least forgiving int the "least forgiving driver" thread going on in this forum. I can hit balls all over the face and still stay in the fairway, and it is 460cc.. It must be low spin players that have issues with it, I guess.

Sorry you had to ditch the G25 but I can't imagine things getting much better than the Anser...

Top choice for "LEAST FORGIVING"? You've got to be joking. I handed my club to 30+ handicapper today in a select-shot tourney and he hit the best drive he's EVER hit. I call B.S. on that. Now, this club isn't one of those offset drivers for people who hit bananas all day but it's the PERFECT balance between length and forgiveness that you can have (at this time, IMO)...

I'm like you, I can hit the ball anywhere on the face and achieve basically good to great results. True, the drive is LOW SPIN. That may be the issue because a lot of golfers can't produce enough club head speed to make it spin enough for their needs. Of course, they may have the wrong shaft in it too. Either way, they can say what they want this driver just flat-out ROCKS!!!

Good write-up and experience. Sounds like you were fitted well. This driver instills confidence. If you're a little off, you don't pay a lot. The forgiveness for a driver of this magnitude is just criminal. I have no doubt there's longer. I also have no doubt there are drivers more forgiving. But the combo this driver provides in one package is quite an accomplishment. Ping has really outdone themselves...
Thanks! After another demosession (this time it was Callaway who visited us) I am not so sure anymore. What the person from Callaway pointed out is that my attack angle is too steep, 7-9*. It should be around 2*. He asked me to try hitting up on the ball rather than down. After a couple of smooth swings my number got better. If I have a lower attack angle I also produce less spin on the ball.
I would like to practice more on this swing (which I thought was how I hit the ball - probable due to early in the season) and then try Anser vs G25 again. I liked both club heads but if I can produce same low number with the G25 I would prefer it because it's a bit more forgiving.

I have tested this driver a few times and I can't comment on the forgivness every swing is in the middle of the face. It's just so easy to hit well and it's longer than some others I have tested. This is a great driver to grab off the shelf and go.

After gaming the Anser for nearly 8 months, I went to an R1. Distance wise, the Anser was superior, but I had trouble controlling it for some reason. Maybe too low spin?? The R1 didn't sacrifice much distance wise and I'm in the short grass a lot more often.

After gaming the Anser for nearly 8 months, I went to an R1. Distance wise, the Anser was superior, but I had trouble controlling it for some reason. Maybe too low spin?? The R1 didn't sacrifice much distance wise and I'm in the short grass a lot more often.

davo, what shaft were you using in the Anser?? It seems apparent to me that this club requires a shaft that matches the individual. I suppose that's why they offer 3 aftermarkets and a proprietary (with no upcharge)...

I had my first Trackman experience today and I discovered how much more forgiving my 9.5 Anser was compared to my 11.5 Callaway FT-iq. In fact the Anser's numbers were much better than the X-Hot or the 912 D2. We tried various lofts and shafts and my Anser with the stock TFC shaft was noticeably better, especially in dispersion. I always thought my Anser's low loft was too much for me and only used it at the range, now its headed to the bag.

I definitely agree that the Anser is underrated and even though it isn't the latest and greatest I would recommend comparing data before dismissing it out of hand.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I had my first Trackman experience today and I discovered how much more forgiving my 9.5 Anser was compared to my 11.5 Callaway FT-iq. In fact the Anser's numbers were much better than the X-Hot or the 912 D2. We tried various lofts and shafts and my Anser with the stock TFC shaft was noticeably better, especially in dispersion. I always thought my Anser's low loft was too much for me and only used it at the range, now its headed to the bag.

I definitely agree that the Anser is underrated and even though it isn't the latest and greatest I would recommend comparing data before dismissing it out of hand.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Great share D-T, this is what people don't get. You have to test the Anser and get the shaft that fts YOUR game best, and the results will follow. Please, if your in the market for a new driver, give the Anser a fair shot. IMO, there is no driver out there that can compare to Anser in terms of performance as it applies to forgiveness and distance...

After much deliberation and comparison, I purchased the Ping Anser today. Tried every driver out there and this one just works the best for me. I cannot say enough about how getting the right shaft makes all the difference. Went with the 'Ahina (stiff) in the 10.5* and love the ball flight I am seeing and the numbers. Working with it on the range over the weekend and will hit the course on Tuesday.

Anybody compared this to the G25

Anybody compared this to the G25

I'm sure you've probably seen this but Mark Crossfield did a comparison of the Anser, G25 & i20...

I'm sure you've probably seen this but Mark Crossfield did a comparison of the Anser, G25 & i20...

That was helpful. In gonna hit both when its time. Never been driver fitted. Answer intrigues me cause of shaft offerings.

We'll will be getting fit for either the anser or g25 after vacation next month.

We'll will be getting fit for either the anser or g25 after vacation next month.

I think you'll do great with either. The Anser will have a better shaft selection at no upcharge and a neutral weight configuration. The G25 will have a longer length shaft (factory length) than the Anser and has a draw bias weight configuration. Both heads are very forgiving and L-O-N-G!!! Hit them both side by side (outside if possible) and decide which you like better...

I think you'll do great with either. The Anser will have a better shaft selection at no upcharge and a neutral weight configuration. The G25 will have a longer length shaft (factory length) than the Anser and has a draw bias weight configuration. Both heads are very forgiving and L-O-N-G!!! Hit them both side by side (outside if possible) and decide which you like better...

Didn't realize G25 is draw bias.

Didn't realize G25 is draw bias.

I'm fairly certain all the G-series are weighted that way for aiding in "slice-correction". The Anser and I-series are neutral. Ping doesn't publish the weight configuration, only that there's perimeter weighting that's lower and further back to increase MOI. I'm sure it's not much anyway, just hit them both and determine which suits you're swing best...

Nice dude. I want to hear about both! I miss my g15 on occasion. Not always, but sometimes haha.

Hitting the G25 and the Anser both on the range and on the simulator, I pulled the G25 hard left every time. The Anser had a much better ball flight, and a much better result both on grass and on the simulator. The only other club I've hit that was similar to the Anser was the Callaway RFE.

Reading that the anser seemed the better of the two. I'm gonna try both but if its more neutral I think it will be better

I hit the Anser a little better but I liked the feel of both. You will find out what works best for you at your fitting though. Both are good clubs.

Hi folks,

This is my first post though I have been lurking here awhile. I'm in the market for an Anser driver and this thread has been very helpful with the wealth of info I have found in it. So I just wanted to say thanks to all who have posted.

Hi folks,

This is my first post though I have been lurking here awhile. I'm in the market for an Anser driver and this thread has been very helpful with the wealth of info I have found in it. So I just wanted to say thanks to all who have posted.

Awesome
..thanks for stopping in and welcome to thp

I know this is an old thread, but I recently acquired an Anser and put it in play this weekend. It was a little shorter than my XHot, but I'm a lower swing speed player who benefits from a little more spin, and it was also a wet day.

On the positive side though, I really hit it straight. I hit 11/14 FWs which is a percentage I've not hit in a long time.

The club came with the light weight RIP Phenom in stiff and I liked it. I think the shaft really feels good, though the whole setup is a bit higher launching than I would have expected. I normally play heavier weight shafts in R flex.

I know this is an old thread, but I recently acquired an Anser and put it in play this weekend. It was a little shorter than my XHot, but I'm a lower swing speed player who benefits from a little more spin, and it was also a wet day.

On the positive side though, I really hit it straight. I hit 11/14 FWs which is a percentage I've not hit in a long time.

The club came with the light weight RIP Phenom in stiff and I liked it. I think the shaft really feels good, though the whole setup is a bit higher launching than I would have expected. I normally play heavier weight shafts in R flex.

If you need more spin, the Anser is not the club you will want to be playing to be honest. Very low spinning head. I was apparently one of the few who really loved it. Was an awesome club with the right shaft in it.

If you need more spin, the Anser is not the club you will want to be playing to be honest. Very low spinning head. I was apparently one of the few who really loved it. Was an awesome club with the right shaft in it.

I definitely agree that it'd take some tweaking to get the same numbers as a slightly higher spinning setup. I do love how the club looks, and loved that FWs hit stat. Because of that alone, I had a personal best on the course that I played.

Back