Ping G20 Irons Review Thread

Just picked up my Pings. They feel better than the store demo model! It is raining here but hopefully tomorrow I can try them out. Now after looking at them, I am not sure if my 6 year old Walter Hagen bag is good enough for these clubs. You know what they say, " A fool and his money plays golf."

Actually I never heard that before but feel that way everytime I go to the golf store.

Check out the Ping Traverse cart bag. I bought the black one, well built, looks great and is very light weight.

I had 1 range session with the G20's before I played my first round with them yesterday. So easy to hit, just wow. I really liked the W/S Di11's but they were not fit for me and the shafts weren't the best fit for me either. the G20's were perfect for me, I was hitting draws all day long and carded my first round under 90 of my life. My previous best round was a 94 and I shot 86 yesterday, with my first round with them! I could have gone even lower as I was putting for birdie 3 times and ended up with bogeys on all 3 of them :banghead:. The soles on these just slide through the turf I dare say like butter. The scoring irons are just as good, if not better than the Di11's I was using previously. I hit a 102 yard shot from the FW and hit it a bit fat and thought for sure I would have to pitch on, but it landed 10 ft from the hole!

I can't wait to get my distances dialed in and see how great they can be.

Great to hear RPR!!

The rain stopped today so I quickly went to the range to test my new irons. I am coming from a TaylorMade Burner 2.0 that I have been using for about 6 rounds of golf this year. Before that I had a Cleveland CG4 set. I would classify my golfing abilities as, for as little as I have played,I am holding my own. 88-100 depending on my state of mind.

I don't know if I am the best person to give an opinion because I am not that technical when it comes to my swing. I just know what I should be doing, just not how to do it. BUT, I feel that I can represent a lot of people on here that loves golf but can only play about once a month or family man with a job.

These irons in my opinion are gorgeous. I can see why someone with a low handicap would like the style of a blade better BUT for me, I haven't seen a style I like better INCLUDING the I-20 irons. So from the start, my head is in the right state of mind.

The weight I feel is perfect. It makes me think that it will "just shovel" the ball up with little effort. Sort of the way a hybrid makes me feel. To me, this is great because now I don't feel like I have to swing hard. When I slow my swing, my balls go straight.

I ordered the mid-sized grip which felt perfect for my hands. Not large, but not medium either. My only complaint is the irons seem shorter. Coming from the Burners 2.0, I understand why, I just have to get use to these. Now to the good part.

U,W,S Irons: I hit these about the best I have hit any irons similiar. They ALL went straight and high. I just have to get my distance down. I would group every ball with these irons. This is exciting to me because to start off this way was like a dream. Then I woke up:

4,5,6 Irons: When I did what I was suppose to do, they went great, felt great, and looked great. I guess this can be said about every iron on the market. My Burners felt like hitting a rock when I did what I was suppose to do by the way. When I didn't do what I was suppose to do, they all pulled left. My Burners pulled right. Not sure why the change. I flubbed a few as well but this could be from me being use to a longer shaft. I would say I hit these 3 irons better than the Burners, not longer, just straighter on a higher percent of time. To me, I still felt good about my shots because there were way more good shots than with my Burners.

7 Iron: This was my last iron I hit today. Out of about 20 hits, I grouped about 12 balls within a 10 foot circle. To me, this was great. Remember I am just the average golfer so to someone else, this might not be so good. All in all, I was very encouraged with these irons.

I am not going to say these irons are going to make me play better or these irons are the best thing since sliced bread. I am the only one that will make me play better. What I will say is that after hitting these Irons with just one bucket of balls, for the first time I feel like a golfer, not a hacker. My shots were nice and they were straight. I can also say without a doubt, I hit better with my Ping G20 irons over my Burners. I now feel like I have a chance of hitting in the low 80's now.

I am playing a round of golf tomorrow so that will be my first test. I will post back.

Well I got my G20's in Saturday afternoon. They are a used set with KBS Tour stiff shafts and Ping ID8 orange (midsize) grips. They were supposed to be 1/4" over length and black dot. I have been fitted a few times over the last 6 months and it usually comes up 2* up right and 1/2 to 1" over length. I have a hitting net in my back yard and a small real feel mat so I took a few swings and first thing I noticed is they were HEAVY!! I have been playing Mizuno MP 59's, 2* up 1/2" over with Dynalite gold XP s300 shafts and lamkin midsize that are special in that they weight the same as the regular size grips instead of 11 grams more like the normal midsize cross lines. I have been working on some tweaks to my swing to turn the club over better and try to delay my early release. I know now that this was a bad move for me and caused me to get too handsey and flip the ball.

I pulled the grips and found out that they were 1" over with heavy extensions in them. I installed new 1" light weight extensions and my own aforementioned grips. Much better on the weight. I can really feel the head through the swing now. Maybe too much in fact. I dropped 25 grams total weight and it made a big difference.

I am a 14 handicap and have been driving the ball well and average about 31 putts per round. My main strength is damage control. I rarely have blow up holes of more than double. Weakness is pitching. I suck at it big time!! I usually feel pretty good about my iron game and I am comfortable with any club you give me in my hand, blades to shovel although I have usually played narrow sole player cavity irons. This is my first set of GI/SGI irons. My other irons are Mizzy MP 59's and Wilson Staff 1976 tour blades and I score equally well or bad with either set. I have an early release and not very long hitting my 7i about 140. Smooth tempo and a 6i ss of 82 mph.

I took the new G20's out to the course for my usual wednesday round but was not able to warm up as usual with a bucket. The front 9 was a mixed bag. I noticed I was getting about 1 club extra in distance and got caught up in the 'How far can I hit it' mentality and was swinging way to hard. I did hit the green on both par 3's and was within 5 feet of the green on 3 other holes with my approach shots. I hit some really awful shots on 8,9 and did some mental revaluation over the next 9. Slowed down my swing and the good shots started coming left and right. I had 4 more GIR's and 2 more that hit the green but didn't hold and ran through. Both were elevated greens. My course has pretty small greens overall so this was great! I had more GIR'S in that round than I usually do in 2-3 rounds. Unfortunately I had 38 putts to my usual 31. OUCH!!

I bought these to hopefully gain about 10 yards distance to eliminate a gap in my bag and I feel I got that, maybe more. 2nd goal was to gain some forgiveness on my approach shots so as to hit more greens as I was habitually 15-25 yards left or right with my 59's. Based on this first round, I am very excited with the results. I did not putt or drive well yesterday and first time out still shot my average round of 89. Now that I have gotten my distances narrowed down and have returned to my smooth tempo swing, I feel they are going to give me exactly what I was looking for. Remember these are not even fitted for me yet on the lie angle.

I hit the long irons well, in fact the 4i was money all day. I was getting a 20 yard fade with the 3 and 5 though. I think the lie adjustment will help there and this was most evident when I was overswinging. 6-PW were very consistent with the distances and nice 10 yard gaps. I could actually see the ball start to fade on a few shots and then straighten out just before the apex of the shot. Very strange to see as the ball looked like it wiggled right in mid shot. The U wedge during my prebuy testing was what tipped the scales for me and it was the only club I was disappointed in yesterday. Go figure LoL. I know it will perform but I very well may change the shaft out on it to the CFS shaft as it just didn't have the feel with the KBS shaft that the test set did. Throughout the set, fat shots and thin ones gave me better results than the 59's did with several traveling full distance and only a couple yards offline.

I came down with a horrible cold last night so will be a while before I have the energy to get them fitted and play again but overall gut feeling is that I made the right decision. I think once I get some more course time with them, get the lie adjusted they will be every thing I was looking for. I just hope I don't have to mess with the swing weight on them.

I have read through this thread because I am also looking into purchasing some G20 irons. I have the K15 driver and G15 hybrids right now. I don't know if this has been said and I missed it or not but how is the turf interaction with these clubs? I playing thinner sole clubs now(Adams XTD II's), which are an off the shelf box set.

I went back and forth as to which club I should have purchased. The I20 or the G20's. Going by my handicap, I bought the G20's. After reading 1000's of reviews, most of them from the I20 thread, I am glad I bought the G20's instead of I20's. They are easy to hit. I haven't had any problems with turf interaction. I can get my wedges to spin the ball backwards a little. My balls feel like they fall from the sky on the greens now.
If my handicap was around 10, I would have bought the I20's instead. But until then, I am extremely happy with the G20's.

I think that I am probably going to go with the Ping G20's instead of the burner 2.0's. I like the look of the G20's and I already have Ping clubs in my bag that I love so I will just stick with Ping when it comes to getting irons.

I think that I am probably going to go with the Ping G20's instead of the burner 2.0's. I like the look of the G20's and I already have Ping clubs in my bag that I love so I will just stick with Ping when it comes to getting irons.

If it will make you feel better, the Burner 2.0 were the irons I had before I bought the G20's. I like the G20's a lot better. I do have my burners for sell at the marketplace forum if you are interested.

I've been gaming the G20's for about 4 months now. I can tell you one thing for sure...FORGIVING! I can hit toe shots all day long and still be straight but bout a club short. The only down fall that I have noticed with these is the sole is so big that it can make playing tight lies alittle difficult.

I've been gaming the G20's for about 4 months now. I can tell you one thing for sure...FORGIVING! I can hit toe shots all day long and still be straight but bout a club short. The only down fall that I have noticed with these is the sole is so big that it can make playing tight lies alittle difficult.

Playing tight lies it was I was worried about. The course I normally play has very tight lies and very thick rough. So I am thinking that this might not be the set for me then.

Playing tight lies it was I was worried about. The course I normally play has very tight lies and very thick rough. So I am thinking that this might not be the set for me then.

Dont let my results turn you off, try them yourself. I have always been a sweeper type of swing and hardly ever take a divot. The only club that I have truely had a problem with is the SW on a tight lie. It just seems to me that you have to hit down into the ball more with these clubs. But boy, when you hit one flush, you just sit back and watch in amazement. I don't even feel the ball when I hit one flush, and it makes a beautiful sound to go with it!

Good to see ping is being well repped. I know for my game the i20 will work. My demo of the set for three rounds was glorious. If I was still the 14 I used to be, the g20 set would be in my bag without a second thought. I demoed the g20 on the range and my take was it was "impossible" to miss. Huge heads, really really long and down right illegal on fat shots. Also, really really really sweet long irons. Anyone above a 12 should definitely look at these.

I have hit the G20's before but it was on a golf simulator at Golf Galaxy. The clubs felt amazing and I felt the same way you did when I caught one flush, but I'm just worried about how they will react off of real grass.

I just got a set of G20's but got rained out before teeing off. Did hit 2 buckets of balls as the first one was just awful. I think a big part of it was that I went from Titleist DCI cavities that were standard lie to White Dots (3* upright) and + 1/2" shafts. By the 2nd bucket I at least started to feel like I could make solid contact. I did not have any confidence on the wedges but I spent the majority of the time hitting the mid irons. I am hoping to make another range run tomorrow if the rain holds out.

I added a pic of the clubs. I do like the feel of them at address and during the swing. I think 20+ years of playing standard lie will take a little adjustment. I will say the mishits, of which I had many in the first bucket do give much better results than my swing deserved.

42b179a1-f145-3247.jpg

I just got a set of G20's but got rained out before teeing off. Did hit 2 buckets of balls as the first one was just awful. I think a big part of it was that I went from Titleist DCI cavities that were standard lie to White Dots (3* upright) and + 1/2" shafts. By the 2nd bucket I at least started to feel like I could make solid contact. I did not have any confidence on the wedges but I spent the majority of the time hitting the mid irons. I am hoping to make another range run tomorrow if the rain holds out.

I added a pic of the clubs. I do like the feel of them at address and during the swing. I think 20+ years of playing standard lie will take a little adjustment. I will say the mishits, of which I had many in the first bucket do give much better results than my swing deserved.

It takes a couple of buckets of balls to get used to new irons and find your sweet spot. I went through the same issues for a week or so before I started hitting my G20's straight as an arrow..

I snuck out for a quick nine and got rained on after finishing 7 but I figured out that I was addressing the ball too close (new irons are 1/2" above standard and 3* upright). Once I adjusted my position I started striking the ball more like I am used to. I like the feel of the irons after getting more used to them. Was 39 through 7 but I had a 9 on hole one since I hit two drives out of bounds. Should have warmed up with the new driver some instead of spending all my time working on the irons. After the first hole I played bogey golf with one par, one double and the rest bogeys. At no time did I feel I hit an iron shot that really hurt me, I am still learning distances and adjusting to the new setup but they are some sweet sticks.

Just picked up a nice used set of G20's for a decent price.
Mine are 3 - SW black dot. Looking forward to playing them.
I hope I'm as excited about the way I hit them as omikey was back in the thread :good:

Anyone on the thread still around and playing them? Thoughts now you've had them 2 years (or have you all upgraded to G30's? :D

I think quite a few are still playing them. Those that have moved on, have done so in a variety of irons, but nothing wrong with the G20s. Keep us updated on how they are working for you.

Just picked up a nice used set of G20's for a decent price.
Mine are 3 - SW black dot. Looking forward to playing them.
I hope I'm as excited about the way I hit them as omikey was back in the thread :good:

Anyone on the thread still around and playing them? Thoughts now you've had them 2 years (or have you all upgraded to G30's? :D

OMIKEY is still around :blob: just as EXCITED as EVER :alien2: :egyptian:

I still have, and play, the G20's !!! I STILL LOVE THEM !!!! Best clubs I've EVER HAD ..... they suit me nicely !!
I'm SURE you will be every bit as EXCITED as I was when I got mine, and as much as I still enjoy hitting them now !

I'm not playing as much as I did a year, or longer, ago .... just have 'other' stuff getting attention.

Doing a lot of long distance motorcycling, and another new one this year in Feb ... Harley Davidson Ultra Limited Amber Whiskey and Black .... OOOOOOOO LA LA !!!!!!

Spend most of the time when home trading the stock market .... Having fun with that :)

I played them for awhile and did enjoy them. Weren't the prettiest set for my eye but they performed great. I passed them on to my father in-law and he is playing them now and loves them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back