Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
While they have been known about for a while now, today PING Golf makes it official that their newest G-Series iron release is joining the family. Yet another piece to the puzzle when it comes to the plethora of 2024 iron releases from PING, the G730 seeks to tie things together in a bow by being the brands most easy to hit iron in their arsenal.

Continue reading...

Those look good for what they are. I'm interested to hear what they sound like.

Those look good for what they are. I'm interested to hear what they sound like.
That’s a good call. The last ones left a little to be desired there imho

I think these look pretty meh. I’m sure they perform but not for me

I think of Ping having it's own unique look. These look generic for Ping. I am sure they do what they are meant to do.

The notch on these is worrying but assume these have been put through the ringer.

• Staff
The notch on these is worrying but assume these have been put through the wringer.
Ping has used that notch for YEEEEEAAAAARS now, there is no concern there.

Cavity is about as good looking as I've ever seen on this series from PING.

Very well aware. Looking more so as far bending lie with that thin of a bending point.

Very well aware. Looking more so as far bending lie with that thin of a bending point.
Again, they’ve used it for years, and it’s for the purpose of being able to bend the lie angles. It’s been tested forever now, and it’s a cast iron so concerns should be small.

Cavity is about as good looking as I've ever seen on this series from PING.
This was my immediate takeaway as well.

Again, they’ve used it for years, and it’s for the purpose of being able to bend the lie angles. It’s been tested forever now, and it’s a cast iron so concerns should be small.
Cast would be more of the concern when bending the lie angle as it isn’t as subtle when bending like forged.

Cast would be more of the concern when bending the lie angle as it isn’t as subtle when bending like forged.
Which is why the notch is there.

There’s quite literally no durability concern with the notch.

forever.

Not my ping iron of choice, but these look pretty good.

This one's a bit confusing for me on where they've gone with the look, and it's place among others in this space at that price.

They look better than the 430 with similar bounce, and offset but stronger lofts.

I hope they improved on the Purflex as I found it underwhelming on the 430.

I would take a serious look at getting these and offloading my Stealth which has gapping issues.

I had a set of G5 irons around 20 years ago and they had the notch.

Not my style of iron, but these are very well done.

I just saw these at a Ping fitting van that's at one of my clubs and they have less offset and a thinner top line than the 430.

They actually looked at felt really nice.

IMG_1701.jpegIMG_1699.jpegIMG_1700.jpegIMG_1702.jpegIMG_1697.jpegIMG_1704.jpeg

The notch on these is worrying but assume these have been put through the wringer.
I believe it’s there to facilitate bending. They’ve been doing it a long time and I see similar in other makes. There’s still plenty of steel so you’re not in any danger of shearing the head off.

I believe it’s there to facilitate bending. They’ve been doing it a long time and I see similar in other makes. There’s still plenty of steel so you’re not in any danger of shearing the head off.
I know that. This series has less material than most around the notch is my point. With the cast being what it is for bending is why I’m tentative on the way it’s shaped.

@Hacker67 ”at one of my clubs”
Nice gig if you can get it huh?
Where is that? Looks like the southwest?

Going to order a set of these this week. Worked with the Ping fitter today at a local vendor days as I’m losing swing speed. The G730 outperformed the G430 and my Mavrik Max with regular flex. Fitter put me into the Alta Quick 45 (sr flex) shaft and it transformed things for me. Typical 7-iron ball speed gain of 10 mph although comparing best speeds I saw up to 20 mph. Vs the Mavrik, better dispersion and higher launch from a slightly stronger loft. Decent feedback on mishits. The lighter weight allowed me to get around better and I was actually hitting some pulls/draws, which ain’t normal. I instantly felt comfortable with this club. I’m not one to ask about looks/sound, but nothing ewww-worthy jumped out and they felt very nice.

Always interesting to watch a fitter who knows how to use both a launch monitor and a calibrated eyeball.

Going to order a set of these this week. Worked with the Ping fitter today at a local vendor days as I’m losing swing speed. The G730 outperformed the G430 and my Mavrik Max with regular flex. Fitter put me into the Alta Quick 45 (sr flex) shaft and it transformed things for me. Typical 7-iron ball speed gain of 10 mph although comparing best speeds I saw up to 20 mph. Vs the Mavrik, better dispersion and higher launch from a slightly stronger loft. Decent feedback on mishits. The lighter weight allowed me to get around better and I was actually hitting some pulls/draws, which ain’t normal. I instantly felt comfortable with this club. I’m not one to ask about looks/sound, but nothing ewww-worthy jumped out and they felt very nice.

Always interesting to watch a fitter who knows how to use both a launch monitor and a calibrated eyeball.
I

Back