Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

Jman, are you concerned that the ball flight will be too high with the CFS stiff? Maybe it's just me but the CFS stiff height seems moderate, not too high and no ballooning. Serious distance when striped but of course, YMMV.

Jman, are you concerned that the ball flight will be too high with the CFS stiff? Maybe it's just me but the CFS stiff height seems moderate, not too high and no ballooning. Serious distance when striped but of course, YMMV.

I'm a high baller by nature with irons. I just am, so it is a concern of mine. With a 3i though I couldn't tell at all though first time out because the loft is so low on it.

I will say this, the 3i will be a lethal weapon on short par 4's for me. LETHAL.

I'm a high baller by nature with irons. I just am, so it is a concern of mine. With a 3i though I couldn't tell at all though first time out because the loft is so low on it.

I will say this, the 3i will be a lethal weapon on short par 4's for me. LETHAL.

I'm not a high ball hitter and, frankly, the flight is a bit lower than I'd like but not enough to cause me concern. The increase in length is enough to compensate. Really looking forward to hitting the 3i off a tee. Haven't enjoyed hitting off a mat, that's for sure. Thinking about buying my own swath of turf from Home Depot's nursery department to bring to my local range but I don't think they'd appreciate the mess. Juneuary has returned to Seattle so there's only one day this week that looks even close to playable.

I'm not a high ball hitter and, frankly, the flight is a bit lower than I'd like but not enough to cause me concern. The increase in length is enough to compensate. Really looking forward to hitting the 3i off a tee. Haven't enjoyed hitting off a mat, that's for sure. Thinking about buying my own swath of turf from Home Depot's nursery department to bring to my local range but I don't think they'd appreciate the mess. Juneuary has returned to Seattle so there's only one day this week that looks even close to playable.

Juneuary....HAHAHA!

Sorry dude, that sucks, it was 95 and humid as hell here today. My noggin is TOASTED since I went visor like a numb nut.

3i off the tee was a blast today, but I had one off the deck on a par 5 from 219 out today that was bliss....and to 14 feet.

Dude trees are 100% error. You are never supposed to hit trees

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I think he meant that trees are 90% air​.

Juneuary....HAHAHA!

Sorry dude, that sucks, it was 95 and humid as hell here today. My noggin is TOASTED since I went visor like a numb nut.

3i off the tee was a blast today, but I had one off the deck on a par 5 from 219 out today that was bliss....and to 14 feet.

219 and 14 ft from the pin with a 3i sounds like bliss to me. Wish we could combine climates right now, it'd be perfect.

Juneuary....HAHAHA!

Wow, Jman, you are an inspiration for me to get off my butt and go to the driving range more.

Wouldn't it be funny if we found out Jman took a consultant job with Ping.:bicker: I know I bought mine because of his reviews. I wonder how many more can say the same.:banana: Even if he did, I still want to thank you for turning me onto the I20's. I can't say enough how easy they are to hit AND when you do get a great swing in, the ball just looks like magic. My biggest problem is to really on the clubs more. Meaning, I don't have to swing hard to get distance from these clubs.

First time, long time. +1 to the i20 army.

I know one person here moved from the Ping eye 2's to the i20's and had a tough time at first. Just looking for an update...How are you finding it?

This is the first set i've ever bought and this thread has given a ton of insight. tks.

I know one person here moved from the Ping eye 2's to the i20's and had a tough time at first. Just looking for an update...How are you finding it?

This is the first set i've ever bought and this thread has given a ton of insight. tks.

Pretty sure I'm among several who have or are contemplating the move from Eye2s. Hitting the 7i at demo/fitting was an eye opener, 10-15 yards of increased distance and a wonderful feel. The reality of getting used to the long irons has been a bit of a challenge. I've experienced some frustration that's come from hitting off artificial turf. Shorter irons, no prob. Longer irons, yikes. The bounce of the i20 is significant and I definitely hit down on the ball. My one experience on a real turf driving range was much better.

On the very positive side, everything from 5i up has been pretty wonderful, even off mats. They're forgiving but definitely let you know when you've mishit. I've yet to have them out on the course (just bad timing with work, weather) so I really don't have the full picture yet. 20 years with the same clubs made me forget you don't just step into a new set without a bit of transition and that was naive.

Congratulations on your decision Doug, expect you'll be very pleased with your choice. Where are you in the process?

Thanks JPaul, they were just ordered yesterday. 3-PW, CFS-S, standard lie, lofts (hoping this speeds the process up since they wont have to make any alterations).

During my static outdoor fitting, along with hitting them well, I was told the i20's outperformed the irons in its class on the GPS trackman system (which I did not use). After weeks of trips to golf smith, and a bunch of research, I finally pulled the trigger.

I'm hoping I made the right choice, but at the same time I'm confident in PING and confident these will be in my bag for a long long time.

Welcome to THP and thanks for jumping in the i20 thread. This is my second set of Ping irons but definitely my favorite of the two by far. Congrats on the new irons too.

That's awesome Doug! Cannot wait to hear your thoughts when they come in.

WELCOME TO THP!!!

Thanks JPaul, they were just ordered yesterday. 3-PW, CFS-S, standard lie, lofts (hoping this speeds the process up since they wont have to make any alterations).

During my static outdoor fitting, along with hitting them well, I was told the i20's outperformed the irons in its class on the GPS trackman system (which I did not use). After weeks of trips to golf smith, and a bunch of research, I finally pulled the trigger.

I'm hoping I made the right choice, but at the same time I'm confident in PING and confident these will be in my bag for a long long time.

I expect we'll both have these in the bag for a long while. They really are in the sweet spot for me. I tried the S56's because I wanted to go back to a blade and play something more aggressive and workable. The S56 6i was fine but looking down at a 3 or 4 was downright scary. The G20 felt like a floppy-eared sledge hammer and the i20 was the perfect split between the two. Based on the terrific feel of the 7i, I thought I was going to slip into them like a comfy pair of slippers. Surprise!

Ping might have stock sets already built but, if not I think it took them about 10 days to build mine which are blue lie along with a couple of tour s wedges. The wait is excruciating but unpacking them is a lovely reward for your patience.

Just got word mine are supposed to arrive tomorrow. One day short of three looooong weeks. Again, adjusted length, lie, grips and custom engraving though. Just in time for the office tournament on Friday. The adjustment period from my slingshots better be VERY short. I'll be sure to post my first impressions...especially for you other poor high-handicappers out there like me.

Welcome to THP and thanks for jumping in the i20 thread. This is my second set of Ping irons but definitely my favorite of the two by far. Congrats on the new irons too.

That's because your last set were the G-Shovels though. Am I right?

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

That's because your last set were the G-Shovels though. Am I right?

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

Yeah they were the G10's? I think that was it. Ball went up, up, up and up.

Based on the terrific feel of the 7i, I thought I was going to slip into them like a comfy pair of slippers. Surprise! .

lol, I could really go for a set of comfy slippers right out of the box!

Yeah they were the G10's? I think that was it. Ball went up, up, up and up.

You are a couple of ups short and dont forget to measure from the bottom of the monster divot. :)

You are a couple of ups short and dont forget to measure from the bottom of the monster divot. :)

haha you are exactly right. Hey, if you need help getting the ball in the air the G series are great but if not the i series is where its at.

OK, so, got out for another round today. 78. I'll be getting the two writeups tonight I hope since I'm home alone. Quick thoughts though from today.

3i off the tee, ball go far. 3i off the deck, ball go far.

Synopsis, ball go far.

Its absolutely ridiculous that I'm not only hitting a 3i and 4i, its even more ridiculous that I'm hitting them WELL and CONSISTENTLY. I truly duffed a 3 wood off the tee today and almost missed a drive off the tee as well and the 3i second shots put me ON for birdie on one and left me a tiny 10 yard pitch on the other. Crazy.

Long iron mania! A good 3iron that's dependable can be a very valuable asset to one's bag. I won't lie, there's a tiny part of me that is interested in the 3 and 4 irons.

Long iron mania! A good 3iron that's dependable can be a very valuable asset to one's bag. I won't lie, there's a tiny part of me that is interested in the 3 and 4 irons.

It's only a matter of time until I am on the phone ordering the 3 iron with C Taper...and I just got my sticks a week and a half ago. The 4 is already my favorite club in my bag.

Jman, Your killing me with the 3 iron talk... I just added the 4 iron and love it, after couple of hybrid duffs your tempting me with all the 3 iron raves. I never hit a regular 4 iron well until this one. Problem is during the last year and a half I have gone from 120s to low to mid 80s. Best tournament at 85. That's just due to a major obsession that had me pick up the game at age 41--at the range or playing a few times a week. I gave up 3-4 irons early and it may just be due to swing improvements and not i20s that have made playing with these long irons so much better. now to decide on 3 vs hybrid... gaming L-4 now in i20

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

It's only a matter of time until I am on the phone ordering the 3 iron with C Taper...and I just got my sticks a week and a half ago. The 4 is already my favorite club in my bag.

No kidding? The 4iron is your favorite? That's outstanding. I'm quite fond of the PW myself, LOL. I like being creative with it.

Dude, they are so good. I'm pretty positive you're a better ballstriker than me so I can't even imagine you unleashing on them.

It really is a weapon though, took it off the tee on a 360ish par 4 today and it was bliss. It just lets me play to a number so much easier and think my way around the course more. I don't HAVE to take a driver when I know if I get to 150 I will hit the green in reg, I will. Why risk an errant tee ball? Its just a whole new thought process I'm not used to having. My 3w and 3i are becoming weapons very quickly.

I feel like I'm learning.

Heck, I shot a 78 today and by all intents and purposes TRULY don't feel like I played well. I struggled off the tee and missed several greens by mere feet. But being feet out instead of YARDS has changed my game.

I'm a crazy rambling Okie.

Back