Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

My Ping homer set up.

803be318.jpg

That is actually what I am going for. I have my old Mizuno MP-37 blades that I am playing currently, and I feel like the added forgiveness of the i20's without sacrificing any feel could really work out well for me.

I don't try to work the ball too often (unless it is necessary), and I am naturally pretty good at moving it either way when I need to, so I really don't see there being any reason NOT to make the switch.

I went from the Nike Pro Combos to these. I am loving the switch so far. I have not lost anything in terms of workability and have gained a ton of forgiveness.

I hate to sound overly glowing but I have yet to find a negative. Some of the best forgiveness that I have ever seen for misses on the toe. Not just for players irons but for all irons. The forgiveness in these is insane

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

I went from the Nike Pro Combos to these. I am loving the switch so far. I have not lost anything in terms of workability and have gained a ton of forgiveness.

I hate to sound overly glowing but I have yet to find a negative. Some of the best forgiveness that I have ever seen for misses on the toe. Not just for players irons but for all irons. The forgiveness in these is insane

Dead on about the toe strikes. Misses just aren't that bad.

Kmac, those are gorgeous!

I think I will have something very similar to this

The G20 has a dritac too but the grey one. Frank I actually called GG today just because I had a hunch. Sure enough they were there. I ask them to get them done today because I didn't want to stop by on Friday afternoon. But I don't think they would have done them if I hadn't called.

I was just page Kmaced. Nice pic dude. Those dri tacs are sweet looking

The G20 has a dritac too but the grey one. Frank I actually called GG today just because I had a hunch. Sure enough they were there. I ask them to get them done today because I didn't want to stop by on Friday afternoon. But I don't think they would have done them if I hadn't called.

Noted. I will call and check in on Wednesday next week.

Edit: Personally best grips for me ever. So nice on my hands.

Thanks dudes. Yeah I think the red ones came out really nice on the i20's. I didn't swing them because they just did the grips today but they sure feel amazing on my sensitive hands. lol

Stock shafts and all! Nice little picture there Kmac

Was going over the score card, worksheet, and some of my last test post. Some of those ho hum GIRs and easy 2 putts were way better than the norm for me. It's like I'm coming to expect it and I'm not surprised when it happens.

Great writeup Griff. Nice sticks Kevin.

So I had an errand to run at lunch today and I happened to be close to a Golf Town. So....I had to step inside and hit me some i20. Wow. I've tried a lot of irons this winter - Mizuno JPX800, JPX800 Pro, MP53, Callaway Razr X, Diablo Forged, TM R11, TM CB, TM MB, Titleist AP1, Wilson Staff Ci11. These are the best combination of feel and accuracy I've had.

So now I have a little dilemma. I can go get fit for these next week at a Ping fitting day, but I've been waiting to get fit for a set of Wishon 560mc's all winter long. Now I have no idea what I should do, Ping or Wishon. Good problem to have I guess but also stressful!

Mike

So I had an errand to run at lunch today and I happened to be close to a Golf Town. So....I had to step inside and hit me some i20. Wow. I've tried a lot of irons this winter - Mizuno JPX800, JPX800 Pro, MP53, Callaway Razr X, Diablo Forged, TM R11, TM CB, TM MB, Titleist AP1, Wilson Staff Ci11. These are the best combination of feel and accuracy I've had.

So now I have a little dilemma. I can go get fit for these next week at a Ping fitting day, but I've been waiting to get fit for a set of Wishon 560mc's all winter long. Now I have no idea what I should do, Ping or Wishon. Good problem to have I guess but also stressful!

Mike

I think the key thing is getting fit. I'd stick to the plan with getting fit for both and let the numbers and comfort do the spending.

Kmac, just looks sick. Love the set-up.

Mike

Just get both PK! That's what I am going to do! I already have the 560's and getting the i20's or G20's this weekend.

Just get both PK! That's what I am going to do! I already have the 560's and getting the i20's or G20's this weekend.

That's awesome, you're my hero! :)

Hmmm... I have training in Nashville next Tuesday and it just so happens that a golf shop there has the nflight fitting system. Sounds like fate.
Who does? Jacks?

Nothing wrong with two sets up badass irons. Im in favor.

GREAT review from yesterday Griff! Congrats on the 76 and great pitch with the SW to the cup.

I really like what I am reading here from you, getting that forgiveness on the mishits that either still find the green or just barely off is crucial for amateurs like us being able to score. The ball flight you are seeing is also what I prefer, penetrating enough to cut through some wind but high enough to hold the greens and not run like crazy after landing.

Keep up the great efforts!

I just wanted to say that the testers, and forum members who own or have just purchased these irons, are doing an absolutely incredible job!! :smile:

I just wanted to say that the testers, and forum members who own or have just purchased these irons, are doing an absolutely incredible job!! :smile:

Folks are knocking this one out!

GREAT review from yesterday Griff! Congrats on the 76 and great pitch with the SW to the cup.

I really like what I am reading here from you, getting that forgiveness on the mishits that either still find the green or just barely off is crucial for amateurs like us being able to score. The ball flight you are seeing is also what I prefer, penetrating enough to cut through some wind but high enough to hold the greens and not run like crazy after landing.

Keep up the great efforts!

Thanks cookster! Biggest feeling I'm getting when I hit an i20 is I have 100% trust in the club and my swing, even if the swing isn't there. Helping my mental game big time.

Thanks GG!

Folks are knocking this one out!

Thank ya Frank!

Got out to play with 5 members of the school I teach at's golf team (they'd been goading me for months) and despite the nerves of not wanting to look like a fool and dealing with Crameron obsessors I'd say it was a pretty kick arse round...with witnesses! lol

REFERENCE LINKS:
  • Unboxing: CLICK HERE
  • Initial thoughts: CLICK HERE
  • First Round: CLICK HERE
  • First Range Session CLICK HERE
  • Second Round: CLICK HERE and HERE
  • Second Range Session: CLICK HERE

ROUND/RANGE RUNDOWN:

Date: 3/29/12
Played: 18 Holes
Weather: 87* and Sunny with 10-15 MPH Winds

I played it backwards again as the front was log-jammed with HS teams practicing for the tourney being held at the course there today and the back wide open.

Round Rundown:
  • 38 (+2) + 39 (+3) = 77
  • 10/18 GIR's
  • Also, though not applicable here: 26 Putts!

Hole 10: Par 3 - 170 - 3
  • 7i to a middle white pin. Concentrating on not de-celling is paying off, I made super solid contact, unfortunately I didn't play the wind and I landed on the right side of the green. Can't be mad at dancing though baby!

Hole 11:
Par 5 - 494 - 4
  • hit a 3/4 7i from 210 in the fairway. Took the 3/4 7i instead of the 4i because its a hard green to get at in two with the trees surrounding AND because I wanted something lower lofted than just a wedge into wedge range. Great down and through and the the ball just kept a nice low flight to the flat area I was aiming for.
  • LW from 80. Pin was in the back but with the angle I had it was more like the middle. Took a full LW and just let it work, hopped and stopped to 5 feet.

Hole 12:
Par 5 - 491 - 5
  • 5i from about 210 out BIG time downhill to a green fronted with water. Full swing that came through a bit fat on the ball above my feet, just cleared the water and took a hop to the fringe.
  • Chipped with a putt from off the green lol

Hole 13:
Par 4 - 353 - 4
  • PW from 118 out to a middle pin into the wind. Being taunted by the team's captain (his was right next to my ball) I got after it and stuck it to 3 feet. First thing he said was "what a divot" and then proceeded to take my PW to try it himself (he's using t***y blades....he wants i20's now after the round).

Hole 14:
Par - 4 - 410 - 6
  • After an errant tee shot....
  • 5i from 190. I shouldn't have with the wind but I did. Great swing on the ball but I wound up 20 yards short because of the gusts.
  • LW from 20 out with a little pitch shot. This is one of those areas I'm still struggling on distance gauging from the wedges. Too much meant me about 28 feet...but I was just happy to be on the green at that point (and I drained the putt lol)

Hole 15:
Par 4 - 426 - 5
  • Punch 4i from under overhanging tree branches. I love this shot, I got this one slowed by the thick stuff but still about 10 feet off the front of the green.
  • LW from 10 feet off to an uphill pin. You can see why this was dumb. I dropped it in front and it was killed by the hill leaving me 20 feet to the cup. Why I didn't go with the chip 7i I don't have a clue.
Hole 16: Par 4 - 370 - 6
  • After another fun journey to and fro from the tee...twice...
  • 9i from 125 to an uphill pin in the wind and stuck it to 3 feet. I was angry, you won't like me when I'm angry (and have an i20 in my hand)

Hole 17: Par 3 - 169 - 3
  • 4i to a back hole into a pretty fierce swirling wind off the tee. Nutted it. On the green about 35 feet from the cup dropped and stuck IN its divot. First time I've hit this green in the last 35 rounds here. I hate this hole.

Hole 18:
Par 4 - 414 - 4
  • After a journey from the woods with a hybrid punch
  • LW from 90 yards out, took this one hard off the toe and STILL ended up on the green and about 20 feet form the cup (holed it too!). Crazy forgiveness, the kids were amazed by it too when I showed them where I hit it on the face.

Hole 1:
Par 4 - 371 - 4
  • 8i from 150 out (don't ask) that I AGAIN took off the toe, this one I paid a bit more for as I ended up about 10 yards off and to the right of the green. Was getting frustrated here and I'm not really sure why.
  • LW from 10 yards to a short sided pin. Opened it up and hit the mini flop...WITH A WEDGE FROM AN IRON SET!!!! Dropped it on the fringe and stopped 3 feet from the cup, YESSIR!

Hole 2:
Par 3 - 157 - 3
  • 7i into the wind here off the tee, should have been a 5i realistically. Great swing off the tee but I paid for it head on into the wind that was picking up at this point. About 10 yards off.
  • 7i chip/pitch/runner! Played it back and put the putting chip on it, just got to the fringe and that kind of killed alot of the run. Ended up 12 feet form the cup.

Hole 3:
Par 5 - 457 - 4
  • 4i from 200 out to an uphill green on a ball above my feet. FAT. Luckily it ended up straight as can be and in the middle of a flat part of the fairway about 100 out.
  • SW from about 100. Into the wind here so I was focusing more on the not de-celling again and it paid off (as it always does, why am I so hard headed?) hopped and rolled out about 2 feet to 10 form the cup. BOOM.

Hole 4:
Par 4 - 396 - 4
  • 9i from the middle of the fairway and 140 same as last round (I like this shot lol) and dropped it on with a release of about 3 feet to leave me 15 feet for birdie...that I missed.
Hole 5: Par 4 - 409 - 5
  • PW from 125 out. I went with more club here and the wind died mid-swing. Cleared the green. It was really pretty though (and had one HELL of ap pretty divot!).
  • 9i chip shot. Putting stroke, hit about 2 inches BEHIND the ball and ended up at 30 feet.

Hole 6:
Par 4 - 370 - 5
  • UW from about 120 out, for a THIRD straight round. I toed the SNOT out of this one, I'm talking I'm still not convinced I got any grooves on it. Ended up looking like a punch fade, strange....saved my butt.
  • LW from 20 yards. Opened it up for a flop to a short side, left it at 10 feet...not bad. (AGAIN a flop form the LW!

Hole 7: Par 3 - 166 - 3
  • Took 8i here. Had a VERY good day on the par 3's off the tee. Dropped and stopped this one in the dead middle of the green 25 feet form the pin.

Hole 8:
Par 4 - 418 - 4
  • 8i from 150. Pretty divots! On the dance floor again. This one faded pretty good on me though, stance? Right side of the green to 30 feet.

Hole 9: Par 5 - 530 - 4
  • UW from 110 into the wind. Great way to end the day! Dropped it and actually pulled it back 4 feet...sadly that left me 10 feet instead of 6. Also only the 3rd time or so I've ever pulled one backwards. YAY!

GENERAL THOUGHTS:

Ball Flight:
How about supercalifragiwondefultastic? Still the ball just flights so wall for me in the 4-PW, it climbs but never balloons and is just goes and you simply sit there and stare at it. That's not to say its any better of a flight than I saw off of my J40's, but there just something about these I can't put into words yet lol.

Feel:
I had a really good day with the i20's in ballstriking and I honest to goodness think that most f that has to do because I'm getting dialed into how these react and give feedback...feeling out the feel essentially. I love to death that there is no harshness but I KNOW when I miss. It really walks a fine line tightrope in between the two. More so than any other set I've had, the J40's pounded me with feedback but more harshness and the 2.0's gave me little feedback but no harshness. PING has got something here with their cavity design and stabilizers and such in these.

Distance:
I'm where I think I should be on these now, my gaps are all coming together nicely as my swing begins to round out more and more and I get rid of that pesky de-cel. They've honestly been just as long for me as my 2.0's ever were (though I never played the stock lightweight 2.0 shafts) and honestly I did NOT expect that. I knew I'd see more than the J40's from what I'd heard and read abotu the i20's, but I thought they'd be in between the two sets.

Forgiveness:
The i20's just flat out rock here. I think Griff hit it dead on the head in his synopsis about where the thought the different handicaps would/could be if using the i20's. In fact, yesterday when I played with the kids on the HS team their captain (2 handicap) even said the SAME exact thing about the i20's in comparison to his Titleist Muscle-backs, he played 5 iron shots out of my bag on the round with extra balls against the same in his irons and I kid you not the i20's were longer and more on target every single time. He was amazed by how easy they were for him to hit, and this kid is only 16. I think that says a ton there.

Wear:
I was banned from the DSLR camera last night as the wife was using it and it is her's after all. I will come back and edit this tonight or just put up another post on the wear I'm seeing so far. (Sorry ddxu, I got shut down by the boss! LOL).

General Thoughts:
I'm doing everything I can to not just say these are the best irons I have personally put into play, for my game. I know there is a TON of testing left and a LOT can happen between now and then as far as the honeymoon effect goes but they are just exciting to go play. I literally get excited to get to hit these and don't fear if my swing is on or off on that day. Honestly, I see why so many here have gotten on the i20 train and why PING was willing to bring this incredible testing to THP, they KNOW they have got a winner here and the word is getting out. I cannot wait to get out and test them some more for you guys.

Jman - your write-ups are crazy detailed, I love it.

The different angles all of the testers are taking here is awesome. I'm new here, but I can't imagine there has been a review thread more well rounded than this one. With the detailed write-ups, "miss sheets", etc. this is a really exciting thread to read (not to mention a thread that is going to cost me $(insert amt I end up paying for my i20's when I get the money here)).

I like your thoughts here and think you'd be very happy with the i20's. Really looking forward to getting mine out.

As soon as I get the coin together for them (sucks being a recent college grad), I'm all over it.

This gets me excited. the VR PC's were my original plan until the i20's came along and blew that plan to all hell.

Another very thorough and informative review Jman! I am happy to see the success you are having with these. Needless to say, I really want to try these soon to experience the hype myself - let's make it happen!

Back