Ordered 5-UW today with KBS Tours in stiff, yellow dot, +1/2"

Went to the local Ping demo day over the weekend and came away very impressed with the whole i20 line. Biggest surprise was the 5 wood (18*) and its stock shaft. Found it very easy to hit and pretty long - 230-240y on the trackman. Seriously thinking about dumping 4 wood and hybrids for a new i20 5 wood and hybrid.

Main reason I went was to hit the i20 irons off grass and test shafts. Wish I could have tested a few other new irons side by side but it was Ping only demo day and I've now traded everything in to support my golf club habits (except my trusty R7 TPs w/PX 5.5s which I will keep forever) - only spent $182 for the new i20 irons.

Like many others here, I was very happy with the feel of the iron and the look at address, especially the compact shorter irons with little offset (not totally sold on the 5 iron yet in terms of looks but will reserve final judgement for when I hit it on the course).

I have some numbers for the 3 shaft "finalists" but will post on the KBS thread since they are really a shaft comparison. In short, though, I was hitting the i20 7 iron with KBS Tour stiff 166y carry and 172y total with crappy range balls and a breeze mostly right to left but slightly into us - I use my R7 TPs at 155y as a comparison and even the Burner 2.0s I had was a 165y club. Spin averaged almost 700 rpms less than the 134g DG Tours, one of the finalists (5,339 vs 6,000).

Hoping I get lucky and they come in time to play this weekend. Ive been through a half dozen irons in the past 2 years so I am going to reserve my enthusiasm this tiem until the first few rounds - need to get past the honeymoon this time :)

Would it be a bad for a 17 handicap to invest in these?

I went to my local PGA Superstore today and tested the jpx-800, jpx-800 pro, G20, and finally the i20. I didn't hit the JPX-800 pro or G20 well at all. I really liked the JPX-800 and hit them well. What was really surprising was how well I hit the i20s. Tight dispersion and had the best spin and launch angle. This was surprising. Shouldn't these be too much club for my handicap?

I have only been back in the game for three years and am coming from Taylor Made Burner Pros. I feel like I am getting close to dropping some significant strokes and want new clubs but certianly don't want to send my game in the wrong direction.

Thoughts?

Would it be a bad for a 17 handicap to invest in these?

I went to my local PGA Superstore today and tested the jpx-800, jpx-800 pro, G20, and finally the i20. I didn't hit the JPX-800 pro or G20 well at all. I really liked the JPX-800 and hit them well. What was really surprising was how well I hit the i20s. Tight dispersion and had the best spin and launch angle. This was surprising. Shouldn't these be too much club for my handicap?

I have only been back in the game for three years and am coming from Taylor Made Burner Pros. I feel like I am getting close to dropping some significant strokes and want new clubs but certianly don't want to send my game in the wrong direction.

Thoughts?

If you got good numbers and results I dont see any reason other then price not to go with these. And if price isnt an issue then go for it. I think they are great irons and a lot easier to hit then people would think. Hit a lot stuff and if the i20's are still speaking your language then go for it.

If you hit them well you hit them well. I'm not someone who thinks one's handicap should necessarily reflect what clubs they play....to and extent. If you hit these well though, maybe go back a few more times and see if you get the same results and if you do, then they sound right for you.

Its probably better to say how awesome it is of Ping to do a huge forum testing, first for them, in here and no litter up the testing sign up thread. Talk about it. Awesome of PING to do this and I hope they will continue in the future.

sorry Kevin...your so smart

Yeah great opportunity to test one of the best looking clubs out right now.

Tapatalk

I think if you aren't a Morgan Cupper, you should apply in here. What a glorious opportunity, and like Kmac says, this is kind of a big first and it's incredible. Go PING!

They look like really good irons for the low and mid handicaper. I am really interested to read the feedback. I wish winter in Cheeseland didn't break my heart.

I may just move in with one of our Southern THPers, just for these irons.

Its probably better to say how awesome it is of Ping to do a huge forum testing, first for them, in here and no litter up the testing sign up thread. Talk about it. Awesome of PING to do this and I hope they will continue in the future.

I agree. I hope a lot of people sign up for this testing. Ping makes some quality irons out there.

Sure is great opportunity for those selected. I seriously can't stop thinking about these. Usually leads to bad things.

Really? Fine dude go back to the testing sign up thread and post again.

I was agreeing with you pal...calm down

Sure is great opportunity for those selected. I seriously can't stop thinking about these. Usually leads to bad things.

lol and its called an OEM

Oh snap! KMac and One T! Haha.

Oh man it is so awesome of PING to do this forum testing. Though I'm not sure I can handle a ton of good feedback, I might have to OEM lol. I bet these irons get awesome reviews and they just look great.

WTC is going on in here!! 2 of my favorite THP'ers snapping at each other. Lets all calm down and be happy I get my irons today. And yes I am pumped that Ping has decided to do forum testing. Shows how great a job JB & GG are doing and also how great a job the testers have done. That Ping bag testing has been awesome and it's lead to this opportunity. 3 THP'ers going to have a big job on their hands.

WTC is going on in here!! 2 of my favorite THP'ers snapping at each other. Lets all calm down and be happy I get my irons today. And yes I am pumped that Ping has decided to do forum testing. Shows how great a job JB & GG are doing and also how great a job the testers have done. That Ping bag testing has been awesome and it's lead to this opportunity. 3 THP'ers going to have a big job on their hands.

I'm not talking to you in this thread until old TMex has at the very minimum a Ping i20 7i in his bag.

What's interesting is the feedback from folks who have them and have hit them, and that's that everyone is seeing some explosiveness off the face and some distance that one wouldn't expect to see out of an iron like this!

What's interesting is the feedback from folks who have them and have hit them, and that's that everyone is seeing some explosiveness off the face and some distance that one wouldn't expect to see out of an iron like this!

That is cool. I don't really take the i series for distance gain, but more consistency and performance.

these are some sexy irons. i really love the look. are the I20s more of a GI iron or a Players iron compared to the G20? im not up on all of Pings line currently.

these are some sexy irons. i really love the look. are the I20s more of a GI iron or a Players iron compared to the G20? im not up on all of Pings line currently.

More a players iron sir.

KMag with a great point. I hope someone close to me gets to test these irons. I want to try them.

Edit: Buckjob, the G series is the GI series and the i series is their players cavity. The sole is much thinner on the i series.

Back