Diane

Reaction score
You went sailing past the green and end up a foot from the wall of the clubhouse. There is no way to set up your shot to aim for the green. How do you play the shot?

You went sailing past the green and end up a foot from the wall of the clubhouse. There is no way to set up your shot to aim for the green. How do you play the shot?

You aim at the wall and ricochet it toward the green. Just be sure you do not let the ball hit you or your club when it comes off the clubhouse wall.

And duck out of the way so the ball doesn't hit you :)

1. Take relef from the wall if allowed

if not allowed relief.

1. Bank shot off the wall depending on the wall
or
2. Play to a spot where I can get up and down easily

Details guys - what club and how?

It all depends on the shot, as each lie/situation would be different. As in how far does the ball need to go? anything to carry. where's the pin in on the green? and other factors. So I can't definitively tell you exactly how I would try to play it

The "bank shot" I found is easiest to play with an 8 or 9 iron punch type shot and yes, I have done it before. Results were ok but in that case I wasn't trying to get up and down just improve the lie and give myself a chance.

Details guys - what club and how?

I had to do a "bank shot" once, but it was off a stone wall about 25 yards left of the green. It was a links course, so the grass running up to the green was quite short and fast. I took a 7 iron and did a "stub" shot where I dug the club into the grass immediately after making contact with the ball (so I wouldn't hit the wall with my iron). The ball hit the wall and, due to the significant amount of back spin, dove towards the grass within a few feet after the rebound from the wall. It rolled up the side of the green and stopped on the collar. Two-putted for a bogey.

I agree interlooper and "stub" would more accurately describe what I was trying to say instead of "punch" shot.

Like Craig said a lofted club would most likely be the best club if fairly close to the green because you can get the ball higher and stop it sooner, not to mention keep from re-hitting the club. I've never done it, but kinda sounds fun. I bet there have been times where I should have used it off a tree to reach the fairway.

1. Take relief from the wall if allowed

Obviously this is the first choice... relief from an immovable obstruction. If the clubhouse is out of bounds, but the ball is still in bounds, then I just play a Chi Chi Rodriguez chop shot. Watching him play this shot is almost like watching a magic show. A foot from the wall isn't really a problem for getting the clubhead on the ball. This shot will would work if the ball is just 4-6" from the wall. I've used this shot for years when I get too close to the wrong side of a tree trunk or boundary fence. You'd be surprised how well it can be played if you practice it a bit.

I take my 56° wedge and play the ball back of my right foot. This allows for a very steep takeaway and downswing... almost vertical. Take the club away with a sharp wrist cock and strike sharply down on the ball while maintaining the wrist bend... it won't fly very high, and may or may not have a good deal of spin depending on the ball you play and the lie. Struck properly and crisply with the Pro V1 that I usually play, the ball will surprisingly have enough spin to check quickly on the green.

If the building interferes with my stance so that the chop shot isn't possible, then I evaluate the odds of playing something more risky, or declaring the ball unplayable and dropping in a safer place. In such a case, I'm probably more likely to take the safe (smart) way and drop away from the building with a penalty stroke. If the wall is perfectly flat (not stone or shake siding - even brick can be dangerous if you hit a mortar joint) so that I can depend on a reasonable bounce, then maybe I try the carom shot.... not high on my list though. :confused2:

[YOUTUBE]98hbxjtWpgE[/YOUTUBE]

I don't.

I take the relief I'm entitled to and the penalty that goes with it and I comment to myself about being so f****** Polish and remind myself to pay more attention next time.

I say this as a graduate of the "What were you thinking?" school of trick shots where I've learned that even though there exists some "miracle" shot that might be playable about as often as certain comets pass close to the earth, the likelihood of having that shot actually work is quite slim and will often result in a higher score than that which I would have carded had I just taken the drop and the penalty in the first place.

If the shot is a last resort effort to win a match, then it's certainly worth a try. But if nothing is riding on that shot other than the difference between a bogey or a double, then nine out of ten times the smart play is to take the drop and the penalty.

-JP

[YOUTUBE]98hbxjtWpgE[/YOUTUBE]

This is all well and good, but playing a shot off that stone wall is a total crap shoot. No way I try that in a real round, and there is no guarantee that he did it during a round of golf. That video may be the 15th take. :golf3: :confused2:

then maybe I try the carom shot.... not high on my list though. :confused2:

Yeah, yeah, but don't you love saying it "carom shot" - I just like the way it sounds.

Diane, I'm actually going to give JP the benefit of the doubt on this one and say he meant "I don't play that shot, I take the penalty." LOL

If it was me I would most probably try to bank it off the building, not because I believe it will give me a better chance to save my score but because it would be fun. And if by some miracle it worked out the other guys (or girls) in the group would never hear the end of it.

ROFL fourputt, I can't believe you found a video. Honestly don't think I've ever faced that shot. If I had to, step one, borrow someone else's club, step 2 ***, Step 3 Profit!

Diane, I'm actually going to give JP the benefit of the doubt on this one and say he meant "I don't play that shot, I take the penalty." LOL

I know, but I enjoy thinking of a ball bouncing off his head.

Unlike billiards a golf shot that caroms is usually going to end badly.

One day - you too will have a glass that is half full Pjcedog.

Didn't Greg Norman do that in the 1995 British Open? And sink his putt for par?

Didn't Greg Norman do that in the 1995 British Open? And sink his putt for par?

I think that Tom Watson did it once back in the 80's at the Open. Don't know what the ultimate score was though. :confused2:

Good grief JP - just play my game.

I don't play anyone else's game but my own.

I've tried shots like that (as well as many variants) and the risk/reward ratio is just too wide.

It's like the classic "Short-sided Bunker or Rough Shot" to which we've all fallen victim at some point. We think we can make it, but most of the time we either leave it in the bunker, or even deeper rough, or send it sailing across the green. The smart play though, is to just play for the middle of the green and take your chances on sinking the putt; at worst, you'll end up with bogey. But if you insist on playing for the "Short-side Miracle", chances are you'll end up with much worse.

It's all about percentages.

Besides, as Craig Mac pointed out, you're not offering enough information. Are you above or below the green? Is there heavy rough or a bunker between the ball and the green? A stream, perhaps? What's riding on the outcome, a score or money?

Everything is "a situation".

-JP

I don't play anyone else's game but my own.

Everything is "a situation".

-JP

Then set up the scenario for your own game and situation.

I think that Tom Watson did it once back in the 80's at the Open. Don't know what the ultimate score was though. :confused2:

I think Watson's shot was in '84 but it was his second shot that bounced off the wall. He ended up losing to Seve.

Back