playing by yourself

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
After 20 years of on and off golf I did this the other day for the very first time. At one my local munis after rain ended got out by myself. Several empty holes ahead and no one behind till maybe after i was on hole3 did I notice a 3some on hole 1. Anyway I found it very strange. I didnt know how to time things. Of course i never had to wait for anything to clear and also never had to wait for other would be partners to hit or anything.

I never did this before and couldnt seem to find a comfy zone. In one sense I knew i had all the time i wanted and in another sense I felt like (due to the always and neverending pace debates) that I am supose to play very quickly. Of course pace would never been any issue at all since no one was around and shouldnt even been on my mind but for some crazy reason it was. But besides pace it just all felt so very wierd. I was actually supose to tee off with one individual but he opted out before even getting to the 1st tee to go and start off on 10 saying he wanted to just get through things very quickly. All i said was "ok" good luck. Perhaps thats why pace entered my mind. IDK

Anyway I started off good and then couldnt find the right grove and got a bit sloppy. I am also a bad ball spotter and being alone I lost a few balls. Some were ok shots and some were sloppy at this time hits but i would have probably found them had I been with some company. Some in the rough or at the weeds line for some others but i just couldnt get a feel for the exact spots. This also added some worry to try to make sure i saw every shot. This got me a bit annoyed and caused some poorer play but then I calmed down again and also played more consistent again. But then i went back and forth for several holes as far as good shots and poor ones. i just never found a rhythm to get comfy with. it was like i didnt know what to do or how to go about it.

I also found it kind of boring at times because i like to have some laughs and good conversation at least some of the times as i am so use to being with other people. Like to give due notice when seeing others make shots and like to recieve such for the same. Having never done it before the whole experience was just wierd to me. It was very strange. Dont know if i liked it or not. Many on this forum talk of playing alone many times. Did it take some getting use to? Perhaps if i always done it things would be different but i never did so it just didnt feel normal. I'd do it again if the situation came up but i still wouldnt know what to expect other than to say "strange" and will i find that rhythm? . Anyone experience this? Have any thoughts about playing alone? Whatever.

All the time and no I don't think it's strange. I like to tee it up with others as well, but getting out there by myself can be really relaxing for me. I go early when nobody else is there and walk. It's quiet, no waiting, nobody behind me, etc. I deal with humans enough as it is, so having a couple hours away from them is never a bad thing imo.

I play alone about as often as I play with other people. Sometimes more actually.

I enjoy it

I've done it a few times...show up Sunday late or something, and just go off by myself.
I spend most of the round praying I won't get a hole in one.

I have trouble picking the ball up on occasion, so I do lose a few. Such is life. I do miss the social aspect, it's just more entertaining for me with others. Still, it's golf and if I want to try a different shot, or play a hole best ball, I can do it. A great chance to practice different things and try shots you might not on a regular round.

The upside is that just meandering about, not running or rushing, you can get a round in very quickly.

isnt ther some part of it that takes getting use to. Unless of course perhaps its something you've always done from the beginning.

isnt ther some part of it that takes getting use to. Unless of course perhaps its something you've always done from the beginning.

I guess so. It's a different tempo for sure.

I like to go out alone when I'm practicing. I drop balls every so often to hit a different club and usually end up playing 3 different balls per hole.

Flip side is when I'm actually trying to keep score and play a nicer course. I think playing golf alone is one of the lonliest things you can do in this situation. There's one thing to be alone when you want to be and practice, another when you're at a nicer course keeping score and having no one to share the experience with.

I love being on the course by myself. Don't get me wrong I love playing with other people but there is just something peaceful about being completely alone. Granted if you catch up to a group it sucks but when you have the whole course to yourself its relaxing. I focus much better and its quite and you can play at whatever pace you want. I really enjoy just hearing the sounds of the course and nothing else aside from the sound of me swinging.

I enjoy playing by myself. I usually only play 9 so I try to get to the course around 5:30-6:00 when most people who are playing after work are already on the course or finished for the day. I tend to play quickly for the first 3-4 holes hoping to put some distance between myself and the first tee in case another group shows up. That lets me take my time the rest of round looking for balls, making sure I'm doing things "right", etc. It's also nice to be able to finish a hole and just take a minute or two to relax before teeing it up on the next.

I'll also play a couple balls if time allows, especially on Par 3s. I like to drop a couple of balls in the fairway or rough if I make a bad shot and give myself a second chance to play a better shot. I'll still play the first shot out for my score, but it's nice to get a couple looks at a shot. I could go out and shoot a 45-50, but really take about 55-60 shots. I look at it as practice time on the course rather than at the range.

I've done it a few times. Hey when you gotta play you gotta play. I usually will play at least 2 balls per hole and then if nobody around I will play several shots from a specific distance just to try out things. I rather enjoy it actually. Much better than going to the range.

I end up playing by myself quite frequently during mid-week rounds after work. The course is empty (semi-private) and the only time constraints I usually have are running out of daylight. It does take some getting used to, and I rarely play as well or better than when I'm with other people, but it is very relaxing (almost zen-like) to be out there alone walking with nothing but your thoughts.

some things that I've done to make it a bit easier on myself would be to play "worse ball" hit 2 balls from every shot and always play the worst one. Play best ball (opposite of previous concept), and sometimes I play with my headphones in if the course is really empty and I don't have to worry about hearing "FORE!!"

I've done it a few times...show up Sunday late or something, and just go off by myself.
I spend most of the round praying I won't get a hole in one.

I have trouble picking the ball up on occasion, so I do lose a few. Such is life. I do miss the social aspect, it's just more entertaining for me with others. Still, it's golf and if I want to try a different shot, or play a hole best ball, I can do it. A great chance to practice different things and try shots you might not on a regular round.

The upside is that just meandering about, not running or rushing, you can get a round in very quickly.

Same here! I almost holed a 9 iron on a downhill par 3 a couple weeks ago. It landed about 5 feet in front of the pin and bounced/rolled about 2 feet beyond the hole. Had it gone in, I probably would have sat at the tee until the group about 4-5 holes behind me showed up so they could follow me to the cup.

I enjoy a solo round here and there - mostly just for the practice and playing 2 balls. on the flip side, i'm more uncomfortable playing as a single and joining a group as a fifth wheel.

I enjoy a solo round here and there - mostly just for the practice and playing 2 balls. on the flip side, i'm more uncomfortable playing as a single and joining a group as a fifth wheel.

I've becom so use to playing as a single with strangers that it seem very normal to me. And its usually good people most the time. Even get to know some more and more friendly. But yes on the rare ocassion there are some i'd rather not play with.

I've shot alot of my best scores playing by myself, I think its because the faster pace really lets me get into a grove.

I'm so used to playing with strangers due to living in Chicago for so many years. If you don't have a foursome it's inevitable that you're going to get paird with some strangers. It's nice I guess if you're a walk on and can usually find a random group to play with.

Moved to IA and that's a pretty rare occurrence. People don't expect to be paired with other people. So I guess it is just me who has to get used to playing alone.

I do it all the time and enjoy it as much as playing with a group. My work requires me to be on phone a lot, dealing with people's questions or issues - the peacefullness of being outside with no one around me is comforting. At times I almost find myself getting into a better rhythm because I am not waiting for another members of my group or for groups in front of me. If I do get behind a group, I use it as a chance to hit a couple of balls from different parts of the fairway or maybe it is practicing my chipping/putting around the green. If I run into a group, I try to be respectful and make sure I am not pressuring them to let me play through.

I've shot alot of my best scores playing by myself, I think its because the faster pace really lets me get into a grove.

Agreed. I have had a couple of rounds in the high 70s on days I am playing a round by myself and I think it is because I can play quickly and get in a really nice groove. That being said, I usually end the round, walking to the car and saying, "No one is going to believe this happened....."

having never done it before, my "grove" has always been dictated by when it is my turn to hit. This is probably a big part of the reson why i couldnt really find one or not try to think about one or whatever.

I like playing by myself. I play on the weekends so it doesn't happen often.

I'm not a big fan of it, but often times during mid week no one else can go, so I do it. Of course that's the only time HIO's are available.

I agree with Wake that I'm usually more focused. Only place that isn't always true for me is on the putting green. I can read my putt and all that good stuff while others are putting, while when I play by myself I read it quicker and may skip some things that can and do help me.

I get out on the course as a single all the time. Kinda like not having to rush or wait on others. But on the other side, can be boring.

I don't mind playing by myself. I use it more for practice though and try things I wouldn't normally try if I'm playing with others. I do like playing with others though, espically with my golfing buds, healthy competition between us.

Back