Pondering New Iron Purchase

Golfing Panda

Reaction score
Hi there,

I was hoping to get some help from more experienced folks. I’m fairly new to the sport and currently use the Strata by Calloway club set. I know it’s the epitome of a beginner set but I’m thinking of picking up a new set and getting some lessons since I’ve been spending a lot of time at the range and actually playing these days.

Admittedly, I still struggle hitting the ball straight with any sort of consistency hence why I’m signing up for lessons.

Questions are:

1. Is it worth it to invest in a new set like a Taylormade Sim2 Max OS?

2. Should I go with steel or graphite shafts?

My understanding is that the OS is good for beginners? Is this true?

Anyhow, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Strata is actually a pretty good beginner set. Nothing wrong with it while beginning your lesson journey.

The Max OS set is another good set of irons and while they weren’t my favorite, many seem to enjoy them.

Graphite vs Steel is a question that comes up a lot, but will really come down to preference as both can be a fit for the golfer.

It’s hard for us to define worth for you.

Looking at the Strata set it’s a good set as previously mentioned and plenty good enough for lessons and beginning your journey. So if worth to you means clubs you can learn and improve with I’d say you are good to go.

I see it’s only 12 clubs. I spent a month out of town over winter and could only take a half set of clubs. It really didn’t impact my scoring much at all. (Pretty sure there is a lesson for me in that). So if worth to you is scoring I wouldn’t fret much about missing two clubs. Lessons in my opinion will be much more impactful to scoring.

Golf is a game and hobby for most, so if worth to you is getting the enjoyment out of getting something shiny and new, Taylormade makes good irons. I’ve played one set of their irons for over a decade until I just switched this winter. I fell into this group this winter.

If you take door #3, I think you will find most folks here would recommend going to get fit for the clubs. A good fitter will be able to offer the best insight into steel vs. graphite for you. Good fitters can handle your inconsistency but if that is holding you back from going I think you may have answered your question.

( If door #2 is a concern, if you were to round the bag out I’d possibly add a 50 deg wedge if and possibly a 54 or 56. Personally I wouldn’t go more lofted than that as a beginner until chipping and pitching technique is solid.)

Last edited:
Seriously lessons. Then practice before investing in new sticks, unless you just want new stuff. Nothing wrong with that.

Find a good professional, spend money on lessons. You can't get a decent fit unless you have a consistent swing to fit.

If you've got the money and want to spend it on new clubs, go for it. Go get fit for clubs.

If you're on a budget and new clubs would be a stretch, you've already mentioned lessons... get those first. The clubs you've got will work for a while.

If you want brand spanking new clubs, they're pricey... or can be.
If you're open to gently used clubs, there are plenty of places on the internet that have like new equipment at less than new prices. Budgetgolf, Callawaypreowned, 2nd swing...

Nest advice is take some lessons when starting out. So you learn the correct basics like grip and alignment.
If you have extra cash then get fit and find a set of clubs that will help you to the max of your ability.

Lessons then new clubs unless your rolling in dough!

Welcome to THP and the game of golf!! I agree with the school of thought that says spend money on lessons before buying a new set of clubs. At some point you'll decide that:
A. You're going to stick with the game
B. The set of clubs you've got has provided all of the benefit you can expect from them.

Once you feel that you've outgrown the set you have, get fitted for a set of irons and whatever other clubs you're looking to replace...
Good luck and have fun!

Lessons, then get fitted for good clubs.

Hi there,

I was hoping to get some help from more experienced folks. I’m fairly new to the sport and currently use the Strata by Calloway club set. I know it’s the epitome of a beginner set but I’m thinking of picking up a new set and getting some lessons since I’ve been spending a lot of time at the range and actually playing these days.

Admittedly, I still struggle hitting the ball straight with any sort of consistency hence why I’m signing up for lessons.

Questions are:

1. Is it worth it to invest in a new set like a Taylormade Sim2 Max OS?

2. Should I go with steel or graphite shafts?

My understanding is that the OS is good for beginners? Is this true?

Anyhow, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ask your teaching pro these questions.

It’s hard for us to define worth for you.

Looking at the Strata set it’s a good set as previously mentioned and plenty good enough for lessons and beginning your journey. So if worth to you means clubs you can learn and improve with I’d say you are good to go.

I see it’s only 12 clubs. I spent a month out of town over winter and could only take a half set of clubs. It really didn’t impact my scoring much at all. (Pretty sure there is a lesson for me in that). So if worth to you is scoring I wouldn’t fret much about missing two clubs. Lessons in my opinion will be much more impactful to scoring.

Golf is a game and hobby for most, so if worth to you is getting the enjoyment out of getting something shiny and new, Taylormade makes good irons. I’ve played one set of their irons for over a decade until I just switched this winter. I fell into this group this winter.

If you take door #3, I think you will find most folks here would recommend going to get fit for the clubs. A good fitter will be able to offer the best insight into steel vs. graphite for you. Good fitters can handle your inconsistency but if that is holding you back from going I think you may have answered your question.

( If door #2 is a concern, if you were to round the bag out I’d possibly add a 50 deg wedge if and possibly a 54 or 56. Personally I wouldn’t go more lofted than that as a beginner until chipping and pitching technique is solid.)

Admittedly, I did want something new and shiny, but it seems like the consensus is to really invest in some lessons and get a good swing going before getting fit for a new set of clubs. I have my lesson scheduled for 03/18 so I was also thinking coming in with new set may be useful for said lessons, but I don't mind waiting. I get a little trigger happy sometimes, once I make a decision I just want to go full steam ahead haha.

Admittedly, I did want something new and shiny, but it seems like the consensus is to really invest in some lessons and get a good swing going before getting fit for a new set of clubs. I have my lesson scheduled for 03/18 so I was also thinking coming in with new set may be useful for said lessons, but I don't mind waiting. I get a little trigger happy sometimes, once I make a decision I just want to go full steam ahead haha.

There is nothing wrong with wanting something new. Sometimes it is the best motivator.
Lots of really forgiving options out there including Cobra RADSPEED, Callaway Big Bertha, Cleveland Launcher, etc

Nest advice is take some lessons when starting out. So you learn the correct basics like grip and alignment.
If you have extra cash then get fit and find a set of clubs that will help you to the max of your ability.

Lessons then new clubs unless your rolling in dough!
But I've watched a million YouTube and Instagram videos! It seems like no matter what I do, I still can't hit straight with any consistency. I've registered for a lesson with Golftec so that I could really have my swing analyzed on slow motion cameras and get the data for swing speed and what not. Is this a good idea? Or, should I take lessons at my local course? Or, is there somewhere else I should be going for lessons?

That's because new and shiny is fun!

I love the idea of sinking your teeth into some lessons first, because it will not only allow you to see potential improvement, but also allow your instructor to make suggestions that support your swing as we don't get to see it.

When I feel like I am itching to buy something golf related but don't want to mess with the bag, I usually end up with a new pair of shoes or something like that haha - maybe that'll satisfy the itch while you learn more about your swing!

Welcome to THP and the game of golf!! I agree with the school of thought that says spend money on lessons before buying a new set of clubs. At some point you'll decide that:
A. You're going to stick with the game
B. The set of clubs you've got has provided all of the benefit you can expect from them.

Once you feel that you've outgrown the set you have, get fitted for a set of irons and whatever other clubs you're looking to replace...
Good luck and have fun!
Definitely sticking with it! I enjoy the sport, but get frustrated by my lack of consistency. I hit off the fairway more than on for sure. Consensus seems to be wait for my lesson then get fitted. Going with that. :cool:

Welcome to THP! The others’ advice is good. If you have access to a golf specialty store, like PGA Superstore, Golf Galaxy, Worldwide Golf Shops, etc., I would recommend going there and hitting quite a few different offerings to see what gives you the most confidence. I don’t think that steel or graphite matters that much at this point in your golfing journey. What you need is something that makes you want to play more and in which you can grow your swing.

Keep us posted as to how things are going and have fun! This game is the best.

That's because new and shiny is fun!

I love the idea of sinking your teeth into some lessons first, because it will not only allow you to see potential improvement, but also allow your instructor to make suggestions that support your swing as we don't get to see it.

When I feel like I am itching to buy something golf related but don't want to mess with the bag, I usually end up with a new pair of shoes or something like that haha - maybe that'll satisfy the itch while you learn more about your swing!
Hahaha good idea!! I have been eyeing a new set of shoes....hmmm

Welcome to THP! The others’ advice is good. If you have access to a golf specialty store, like PGA Superstore, Golf Galaxy, Worldwide Golf Shops, etc., I would recommend going there and hitting quite a few different offerings to see what gives you the most confidence. I don’t think that steel or graphite matters that much at this point in your golfing journey. What you need is something that makes you want to play more and in which you can grow your swing.

Keep us posted as to how things are going and have fun! This game is the best.

I do have a Golf Galaxy nearby that I could go to. I signed up for my first lesson at Golftec though since they can provide quantifiable data. Hoping this will help.

I definitely will keep this updated once I take my lessons. Just joined this forum and must admit, I'm taken back by all the positive responses. Just amazing to see. :)

I took up the game last June. I was gifted a complete bag of clubs (driver, 5w, 7w, 4i-PW, putter). Other than getting everything re-gripped (the grips were all literally falling apart), I worked with everything in the bag until I believed a particular club wasn't working for me or was holding me back. Then I replaced them as economically as possible (used, demos, clearance) as the need or opportunity arose.

E.g.: Yesterday I ordered a 4h to potentially replace my 4i. I did this because: 1. Try as I may, I haven't been able to make my 4i work for me, 2. The 4h was on sale for nearly half off, and 3. I was interested in the experiment.

I'm still working with the original irons, which are a cavity-back iron of uncertain age. Since I hit them pretty well when I do my part (except that 4i), I'll stick with them for now. Everything else (driver, woods, putter) has been upgraded. I may upgrade the irons this season, but only if my game improves to the point I begin to feel they're holding me back.

I'm not going to say don't upgrade your clubs, but I will suggest that doing so at this point may be a bit precipitous--particularly since the clubs you have are apparently a pretty good beginner's set. You really haven't developed any kind of consistent swing.

As others have said, re: steel vs. graphite: It's a matter of personal preference.

But I've watched a million YouTube and Instagram videos! It seems like no matter what I do, I still can't hit straight with any consistency.
That's because "feels ain't reals." What you feel like you're doing, or what you think you're doing, most likely isn't really what you're doing. In this respect full-length mirrors and videoing yourself can do a world of good. But, even then: Unless you know what to look for, you can miss things. E.g.: I knew my swing had flaws, which is why I signed-up for off-season training, but it wasn't until my instructors reviewed the videos I submitted that I found out just how many flaws there were.

Or, is there somewhere else I should be going for lessons?
Heh. That's kind of like steel vs. graphite. Different instructors/methods work for different people. E.g.: My class instructor last summer told us how to do what we needed to do, but not why. Thus it wasn't until I read a couple of highly-technical threads and articles on the biomechanics of a good golf swing, here on THP, that the penny dropped.

Right now I'm taking off-season training from True Motion Golf. I like their methods, but, being as I've no results, yet, I can only provisionally recommend them.

Hahaha good idea!! I have been eyeing a new set of shoes....hmmm
Hah! I know that feeling :ROFLMAO:

Buy a Smart Ball, or one of the economical knock-offs on Amazon. One of the best training aids there is, bar none, IMO.

Back