Practice Greens vs Course Greens

My club has two separate practice greens that are side by side. One green is for each course. The greens on each course are completely different, and the practice greens are very close to the course they represent.

I would say at the majority of places here that I play it’s close.

the biggest thing though is that practice greens seem to be over undulated and faster if anything due to them cutting or rolling them daily vs some courses only doing that to the greens every other day cutting and rolling once maybe twice a week.

For most of the places that I play they are pretty much the same as on the course. Most of the putting greens are in the sun though, and a lot of our courses have shaded greens, so they dry out differently.

It annoys me when they aren't as what's the point of warming up on a green that in no way mimics the greens you find on the course?

Nah, they try to keep is close to the regular greens, but it's always a bit different. It's usually a little slower and more bumpy.

This is a pet peave on my home course. Rolling on the practice green does not give an accurate speed assessment for the course. To make matters worse, the two 9's were developed at different times, and switching sides comes with a green style and speed difference as well. They know this and work on it as they can. For my part, I just try to let it go and hope the adversity helps me to become a better putter.

Yea, mine is very close most of the time. They do a good job matching it with the real course greens.

Before this winter they were exactly the same. But for some reason the practice green got fried from one of the freezes and is now like putting on glass. Pretty sure the green is toast and will have to be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No relation at my course. Practice greens are all in the open and predominantly flat. Actual greens are very small, sloped, mostly in the shade and WAY slower than the practice greens. Only thing the practice greens are good for is checking stroke path.

Back