Previous Generation Callaway Drivers

RatFink

Carnivore
Reaction score
Handicap
lim x-> 0
I'm looking at my driver and thinking it needs to be replaced. I have been combing the used market as a new driver is out of the question expensive.

When we look back at the past generations:
- Mavrik
- Epic Flash
- Rogue
- GBB Epic

Are there any that really stand out that I should be looking at or is it mostly the same? I've seen reviews that call out the latest Epic Speeds as being tangibly better than the Mavriks, but is that the case with each of these?

Personally I always liked the epics better than the other models. GBB Epic was a big leap forward, but the sound was not considered great by a lot of people. Flash to me was quite good and is the one I would be most interested in.

I still game my Epic Flash. Still the best in my opinion.

I'm looking at my driver and thinking it needs to be replaced. I have been combing the used market as a new driver is out of the question expensive.

When we look back at the past generations:
- Mavrik
- Epic Flash
- Rogue
- GBB Epic

Are there any that really stand out that I should be looking at or is it mostly the same? I've seen reviews that call out the latest Epic Speeds as being tangibly better than the Mavriks, but is that the case with each of these?
I have owned them all. I liked the Mavrik the most out of all of them. Was the best combination of performance, feel, and sound. Wasn't a big fan of the Epic Flash sound. They definitely took care of it in the Mavrik.

On a side note. I know it's a couple months away. But, Callaway Golf Preowned typically has some killer black friday deals.

I played Flash most of this year. I wasn't a big fan of Rogue and felt Epic spun too much for me. Mavrik, like most 2020 drivers, I never gave a chance.

Either of those will do well. My Rogue 4W is amazing and I am a bit biased because of that. I hit a GBB Epic and it was long, but not as forgiving as some other options. The Rogue I tested was better on the forgiveness side but I just bought a new driver when I tested it and the fitter said to save my money. Tech keeps getting better so I'd be happy to game any of those drivers.

Has the Rogue become Callaway's discount-line driver? It's still sold as new from Golftown while the others are all gone.

I have owned them all. I liked the Mavrik the most out of all of them. Was the best combination of performance, feel, and sound. Wasn't a big fan of the Epic Flash sound. They definitely took care of it in the Mavrik.

Has the Rogue become Callaway's discount-line driver? It's still sold as new from Golftown while the others are all gone.

I think Mavrik is at this point. Starting at $299 new. They don't list Rogues on their site. Rogue was their 2018 lineup. Also a solid option if you hit it well. I just happen to hit the Mavrik a little better.

I am not sure what exactly you are needing, but I thought the Mavrik line was a bit underrated if that's possible. The standard Mavrik quite forgiving while not sacrificing distance.

I gamed all of them, I agree with the others that have said it… I liked the Mavrik the best…

Last edited:
I've hit all of them - I like the Mavrik the best. My son is using a Mavrik. I hit it. and it has the same soft feel as the Epic Speed. I did not like the Rogue only due to the terrible feel off the ball for me - I sold it just because of that feel - but Mavrik, soft yet responsive feel.

Last edited:
Epic Flash Sub Zero is still the best driver I've ever played.

I've hit the Epic Flash and was seriously considering buying one until the Mavrik came out. The Mav is worlds better for me, it's still in my bag.

I'm also a Mavrik fan. I don't like the orange color so I bought a custom black and silver one from Callaway Preowned.

It still works better for me than the Epic LS did.

Still have the GBB in the bag , find it hard to beat and yes have trialled few newer models with shaft combinations too the heights and distances compared to my incumbent didn’t warrant purchase of the newer model at this stage , I want to see substantial improvement for the current costings for latest models.

Another vote for the Epic Flash Sub Zero, my old one (now replaced by the Max LS) was my second all time driver. Hit a lot of 💣’s with it. I never played the Mavrik but hit a buddy’s afew times and wasn’t longer than the Flash but don’t think you could go wrong with either.

I’ve gamed the Rogue for a few years and can’t fault it.

The Mavrik is a great club and I liked everything about it except the left miss. If you do not struggle with a hook then it is nearly perfect.

The Mavrik was the best driver I've had, maybe ever. I'm not happy with myself with getting rid of it. I have not liked the Epic Max LS nearly as much.

They are all very good clubs, as you can see there are strong fans of each. I’ve got a Rogue driver and enjoy it very much. I’ve got Epic Flash fairways and they incredible, super long and forgiving. Obviously getting fit would be ideal, but if you’ve got a couple shafts to play with you’d be hard pressed to not find a winner on CPO.

I have a Mavrik and did a Titleist fitting last year for the new TSi line and neither the TSi2 nor 3 could beat it out. The Titleist fitter told me he couldn’t recommend that I buy a new driver. I would assume there are some on CPO.

I will say the Rogue is a solid driver also. That is what I came from and I gave it to my son and he is hitting it very well.

Still have the Epic Flas Sub Zero in my bag

Epic Flash still in my bag. I didn't see a massive jump in performance on the Mavrik line, so that didn't do much for me. You can probably find a solid price on the flash with a bit of searching at this rate too.

I loved my GBB Epic. If it wasn’t for being bored in a hotel room and deciding to venture to a nearby Golf Galaxy I would probably still have it. I heard good things about the Epic Flash but never really saw anyone playing it. I thought the Mavrik was fantastic the couple of times I hit it.

Back