Private Club question: charging members for push carts and only allowing their push carts?

InHartWeTrust

Ball Go Far.
Reaction score
Handicap
4-5ish
Quick backstory on why I am asking...I'm looking to join a different private club and I'm doing my diligence to read through all the "rules" and "other things" that might be red flags for me. I came across a rule that says "Cost will be $12 per rental and members must use pull carts provided by the Country Club". Huh?! :unsure:

So my question: Is this common?

I have my own ClicGear 8.0+ that I've used for a while and have a ton of accessories for. It's a big part of my golf game (as odd as it sounds). I understand the economic side of things from the CC's POV; it's a ticky tack add-on to drive an incremental revenue stream for the club. That said, I don't want to use their crappy cart because I'd rather use my own better cart with my own accessories that are a part of my golf game.

I'm initially feeling very put off by being nickel and dimed by the club...makes me wonder what other "hidden fees" are looming, and generally just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I plan to ask explicitly about this before signing and paying the massive non-refundable initiation fee, but before I do so, I figured it was worth gathering some background from others that might have some experience at other clubs. I don't want to "speak out of school" on something if this is indeed commonplace...but some quick Google searching suggests it is not.

I could try to negotiate a "Trail Fee" with a fixed amount, but again, I don't see the need. Will they charge me to wear my own rain gear when it rains?

The only private course I was ever a member of did this. I just purchased a Clicgear 3.5 right before joining only to be met with the "you can only use our push carts, which you still have to pay for" mumbo jumbo. I ended up carrying my bag mostly out of spite, lol, and I was only a member for a little over a year, though I absolutely love the course.

This was about 9 years ago and the course now allows personal push carts.

My club does not do this ridiculous charge and if they did their membership would drop drastically. I have never heard of charging a member to use their own pushcart...smh

That'd be the first time I heard of that at a private. It'd put me off from that club personally because then I would just assume they're going to charge for every little thing out there. I'd question their financial situation.

I can't speak to this policy with experience. I have been to places which have special pull carts...The Riksha. Which is not sold except to clubs for their use to rent. They have huge wheels and the clubs which offer them also allow for the unit to pass over the greens. Bandon Dunes has them.
Clubs have some crazy rules. My son was at a club in NJ which required you to valet your car every time you entered the parking lot. He was there one year and left.

My parents' club did this for a few years before some louder members convinced them how absolutely ridiculous it was.

$12 to use their pushcart on top of your dues. If they aren't going to budge on it, I would want to look elsewhere.

Paging @Canadan

Our club does not have that fee. They do charge for rental of push carts, and the ones that they have are actually pretty nice.

Our pro saw me using my @Motocaddy M7 earlier in the season and was asking me about them. Another member was trying to get one and he wanted to know what to recommend. I told him they should get a fleet and rent them out.

Just down the road in Cincinnati at a private club, and they do the same thing.

I cannot take my clicgear to the course, and despite efforts and having many agree to pay a trail fee, was declined that idea was well. For a long time they claimed optics, but have now sort of admitted to it being mostly tied to the dollars in play.

I challenged the same as you - should I get charged to rent a golf bag when I play? I think the line gets drawn in that these clubs have been around for a bit, and 20+ years ago, using a push cart was, for lack of a better word, for sissies. It's obviously different now, but the line has been drawn in the sand.

It sure seems so. I thought for a second is he joining the O? :ROFLMAO:
Is it sad that the first thing I did was check his location?

Also, we're on a wait list, so apparently it's not hurting membership draw 😄

Seems strictly a revenue stream for them or a way to discourage walking. Unless you really like the course and want the membership I would look elsewhere.

Crazy policy.

Our club allows any walking with your own cart without an additional fee.
In fact they go a step further and if you want to walk and don't have a push cart, you can use theirs for no additional charge.

I cannot take my clicgear to the course, and despite efforts and having many agree to pay a trail fee, was declined that idea was well. For a long time they claimed optics, but have now sort of admitted to it being mostly tied to the dollars in play.

I challenged the same as you - should I get charged to rent a golf bag when I play? I think the line gets drawn in that these clubs have been around for a bit, and 20+ years ago, using a push cart was, for lack of a better word, for sissies. It's obviously different now, but the line has been drawn in the sand.
so our club required caddies or carts on the weekends before 10am, Memorial to Labor Day.

We are in the first tee time of the day as a 3 some. Requested caddies 2 weeks ahead of time. They only have one caddie for us. OK, but it is wet and cart path only. So I run to the car to get my Motocaddy. Caddiemaster/starter tells me that isn't allowed. I tell him that if they want us to take caddies, they need to have caddies available when requested, and if the pro wants to charge me a cart fee for using my cart, and keeping the caddie from triple bagging, killing the pace of play, he is welcome to have that conversation with me later. I heard nothing after that.

Common sense, doesn't seem so common.

Our club allows any walking with your own cart without an additional fee.
In fact they go a step further and if you want to walk and don't have a push cart, you can use theirs for no additional charge.
Hats off to them!

I haven’t seen this before. I probably wouldn’t join a place like that either. I’m sure the money they generate from that isn’t significant so the fact they enforce it is a small red flag

You have hit on a couple of important points :

The stigma associated with the use of push carts at some private clubs. Push carts are for public courses mentality.
It's tied into revenue and more usage of push carts affects the revenue from riding carts. I know at my former club , the club pro received a portion of the cart rental fees . So both the club and pro had a financial interest in people using riding carts. And for the longest time riding carts or a caddie were mandatory on weekends before 2pm.

My current club allows you to use your own push cart and the majority of members walk.

And for the longest time riding carts or a caddie were mandatory on weekends before 2pm.
Who would get the caddie fees? We have a similar policy, but the caddies get all the money directly. I would rather pay double to a high school or college kid hustling than pay our owner for a cart.

Seems kinda silly. I agree it’s just nickel and dining you to death. Surprised they don’t make guys who carry their bags rent shoes from the pro shop 🤣

The club I play at has a 100/yr fee for pushcart storage if you want to leave it there… (including free washes and oil changes) 😜. We have no fees for golf carts, aside from an amount that is factored into dues… which aren’t exorbitant.

Back