Product Spotlight – Custom Prescription Golf Sunglasses from Golf Rx

I tried to cover both bases because I wasn't sure if you were or not. Ha!

I think it'll depend on the person, but I love lenses like this for golf and find myself wearing them when I'm just out in the sun as well. If you like a darker tint though, they do offer a similar one to this that shades things a little more.

Doubt I would need too dark a tint being here in the UK..... we don't tend to get that bright thing shining in the sky as much as you do :D

Like the basis of this..... but still prefer the LASIK if it is an option. Best money I have ever spent

My vision is just bad enough where I don't feel comfortable wearing non-prescription sunglasses on the course. Glad to see there is another option out there, but I can't justify spending the $300-$500 that I have been quoted at other places for a pair of prescription Oakleys.

I have had some luck at Wal-Mart and Sam's Club finding less-sporty, but still semi-wrapped options for more in the $100-$150 range that work fine.

Definatelygoingto check this company out. I live in Colorado so that is a huge plus. I paid over $500 for my prescription Oakleys so this might not bee a bad option.

I would've been all over this before I got lasik a few years back. It was such a pain with glasses/contacts/sunglasses etc, especially when it was windy

LASIK is definitely best option. Just wish I had the balls to get it done. Watched a video on YouTube and that was the end of that for me.

I tried it with my Maui Jim's with my optometrist's shop. They told me they could do it and I bit the bullet. They TOTALLY screwed it up. Put the regular lenses back in and gave me my money back. That was with my last prescription. It's time for a new one, so maybe this is an option. My deal is I don't like or need the bifocal option to play golf. It's irritating and a distraction. My long range visual acuity has just now gotten bad enough that I lose track of the ball in flight. I want them now.

JM

I've been purchasing sunglasses from Sports Optical in Denver for at least 10 years. I found his shop through an ad in a local running/biking magazine and gave him a try as a "last ditch effort" because of my extreme sensitivity to Rx changes. He is the only person who has been able to consistently make 8-base curved Rx glasses without any visual distortion or fishbowl effect. Between myself and my family I probably have purchased 15-20 pair of glasses from Bret and every pair has been great. I highly recommend his shop.

He can put a lense in almost any frame and has a great deal on Rudy Project's if you like their frames.

Buffs99

Thanks for this review JB. These sound like they could be just what I've been looking for. I've had a couple opticians tell me, they can't do prescription sun glasses in anything but a standard non curved lens.

I'll definitely be looking into these.

Thanks for this review JB. These sound like they could be just what I've been looking for. I've had a couple opticians tell me, they can't do prescription sun glasses in anything but a standard non curved lens.

I'll definitely be looking into these.

The guys at Sports Optical can definitely do it. I am a +2 with astigmatism and my wife and one son are a -5 with astigmatism and they've made Rx sunglasses for all of us.

I used to wear contacts but my eyes are now too dry to comfortably wear them. My corneas are too thin for lasik. The Rx sunglasses from Bret have been terrific.

drn92

The guys at Sports Optical can definitely do it. I am a +2 with astigmatism and my wife and one son are a -5 with astigmatism and they've made Rx sunglasses for all of us.

I used to wear contacts but my eyes are now too dry to comfortably wear them. My corneas are too thin for lasik. The Rx sunglasses from Bret have been terrific.

drn92

Thanks. Your previous post pretty much sealed the deal on top of JB's review. I get some HSA funds in January, so this will be perfect.

Having read this review I contacted Kyle by email and received a same day reply. We have discussed my needs, transition lenses that are suitable for working in dark hangars and bright sun flooded areas to playing golf and general day to day use. He has provided a quote for me with Custom RX Lenses, advised on colour choice of lens. Once I get home I will send a copy of my prescription and if I opt for a expedited order and priority overseas shipping they will be ready to ship within a week.

Once I have them and have used them I'll update this post.

I've been purchasing sunglasses from Sports Optical in Denver for at least 10 years. I found his shop through an ad in a local running/biking magazine and gave him a try as a "last ditch effort" because of my extreme sensitivity to Rx changes. He is the only person who has been able to consistently make 8-base curved Rx glasses without any visual distortion or fishbowl effect. Between myself and my family I probably have purchased 15-20 pair of glasses from Bret and every pair has been great. I highly recommend his shop.

He can put a lense in almost any frame and has a great deal on Rudy Project's if you like their frames.

Buffs99

Thanks for the feedback.

Having read this review I contacted Kyle by email and received a same day reply. We have discussed my needs, transition lenses that are suitable for working in dark hangars and bright sun flooded areas to playing golf and general day to day use. He has provided a quote for me with Custom RX Lenses, advised on colour choice of lens. Once I get home I will send a copy of my prescription and if I opt for a expedited order and priority overseas shipping they will be ready to ship within a week.

Once I have them and have used them I'll update this post.

Looking forward to it. I'm glad you saw the same level of interaction I did.

I have just received my final quote for new glasses, considering there is a 14 hour time difference between Denver and Thailand the level of customer service so far has been excellent. They are hoping to have these in my hand within 7 - 10 days as I have opted for the expedited order and express overseas delivery. Platinum RX Rydon frames with Brown transition RX lenses, with anti reflective and anti fogging coatings. I've never been excited about new glasses before.

I received a email from Kyle on the 12th saying my lenses were made and fitted into the frames I ordered. He supplied the tracking number and said he was hoping they should arrive on the 17th. I picked them up from the local Post Office earlier this afternoon.

They are superb, I went for the Rudy Project Rydons in Platinum with Brown transitioning lenses. First impressions extremely well made, the lenses are totally clear indoors and low light and even though the sun is not splitting the heavens today the lenses are adjusting to how bright it is. This is the first pair of fully curved lenses I have worn and initially there was a fish eye effect but after 20 minutes or so everything started to appear normal again.

The frames are firmly attached to my head, which is one of the reasons for ordering them. Whilst at work and sweating in the Hangar or on the hardstanding I was having problems with my previous frames slipping off my head. Not ideal when trying to work with both hands and not able to push them back up nose. The bridge piece and arms on the Rydons are anti slipping and sweat resistant.

I have had 2 sets of glasses made over here in Thailand and whilst not knocking the local opticians the vision through these lenses is super clear. They are exactly the same prescription strength of my previous ones but are a lot clearer. I for one will be using them again in a couple of years time when I get my eyes tested next.

A big thumbs up for Kyle and his team at Sports Optical.

Thanks for the post garethw.

I know exactly what you are saying when you mention the different view/perspective the first time you put them on. Coming from a flat lens world into these takes a short time to get used to and then it's extremely nice.

I accidentally knocked these off my head yesterday then as I had my hands full tried to catch them on my right foot which resulted in them hitting gravel and quite badly scratching the lenses. I dropped a quick email to Kyle at Sports Optical late last night Malaysian time and he responded this morning informing me new lenses are going to be made up and sent out to me. All I have to cover is the shipping to Thailand. He also mentioned as I am the other side of the world it maybe possible to keep the current ones as a spare set providing there are no issues with their materials supplier.

Again outstanding service. Initially I only asked if there was any way of polishing out the scratches, as I was not expecting any warranty to cover accidental damage.

That's pretty amazing, especially since you know as well as I do how much those lenses are worth.

I was highly impressed with the customer service aspect during the ordering process and it sounds like they have a long term commitment to their customers as well.

I wonder if they are going to offer the bi focal version for those that need it? Good looking glasses for sure and I would be open to wearing them if the price was right.

I think they can do just about anything Bill.

Finally some options state side. I had to order them from Japan for my Oakley Fastjackets. Although expensive there were lots of options. Good to know someone is working for the visually impaired.

I wonder if they are going to offer the bi focal version for those that need it? Good looking glasses for sure and I would be open to wearing them if the price was right.

They can make bi-focals or progressives.

Buffs99

It was time for a eye test as the headaches after spending a day in front of a computer at work, reading manuals and and struggling to see up close was getting really bad. My new prescription shows I need either Bi-Focals or Progressive lenses. A couple of emails back and forth with the guys at Sports Optical and my new lenses are now getting made.

The level of customer service from these guys is second to none, and still really well priced.

Going to look into these a bit more. At -7.5/-7.0 RX stuff like his interests me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back