Punk , New Wave , Ska

Elmave

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
In light of @Davidhibler acquiring the legendary Johnny Rotten today I think it is time to start another @Davidhibler inspired thread. And what better song to start this thread with , right David. It had to be. Look forward to see the songs and groups posted in this thread. I added New Wave and Ska because they are basically from the same era and so many great songs out there.

Last edited:
I love New Wave and Ska. One of my favorites:

I'll dive into some 3rd wave Ska from time to time, but mostly already well known stuff (MMB, RBF, Goldfinger, Streetlight Manifesto, etc.). I normally don't go into large binges of it, but I enjoy it sprinkled into some of my playlists from time to time.

Oh yeah, and Derrick Morgan. Heard one of his songs on a video game, so I started listening to him from time to time.

This is right up my alley!!! When i am not working i will share some of my favorites. Look forward to seeing what gets added here.

My ska is pretty much just Five Iron Frenzy and MMB.

Punk runs the total gamut for me - everything from the Dead Kennedys to A Wilhelm Scream. I do tend to lean more towards hardcore & post-hardcore more, though. Boysetsfire, Hot Water Music, etc.

My ska is pretty much just Five Iron Frenzy and MMB.

Punk runs the total gamut for me - everything from the Dead Kennedys to A Wilhelm Scream. I do tend to lean more towards hardcore & post-hardcore more, though. Boysetsfire, Hot Water Music, etc.
We are going to get along just fine. Looking forward to seeing what you have to share!

I mentioned this in the punk cover thread but this one is still one of my all time favourites. This song live blew me away at 16 and would probably still if I saw them tomorrow.

The Clash will always be my favorite punk band, and although it was kind of an MTV-ish tune, Rock the Casbah was awesome!!

And one of many I'm sure I will post from my all-time favourite. Another one that blew me away seeing live. After the encore Jerry Only stood with his foot up on the monitor and pulled his bass strings until they stretched and broke one by one. I was right up front and asked for an autograph and he grabbed the front of my shirt with one big meathook and scribbled his signature on the Fiend Skull's forehead. Good times.

The first two Clash albums, ALL by Descendents, Never Mind the Bollocks, Tim and Pleased To Meet Me by The Replacements, any Ramones, Husker Du, Jello Biafra and DOA "Full Metal Jackoff", so many more.

This channel on YouTube is absolutely loaded with great pro-shot shows from bands that run the gamut across punk, hardcore, and metal. These guys are from my hometown, my younger brother was good friends with them when they first started out. The hardcore band he was singing for at the time let these guys come onstage to play a song at one of their shows, and the guitarist from my brother's band decided to take a running leap into the crowd from the stage, kicking me in the head and giving me my first ever concussion. Fun times!!

Well well well.....

This is a thread I like a lot. For me, I got into punk as a teen and was lucky that there were some bands being commercially successful otherwise I never would have heard of them in small town Eastern Oregon.

First band really was the Offspring, which led me to Rancid which got me to:

Kept diving and got to probably my favorite punk band:

Not a huge ska fan, but I am a big fan of some ska core bands like Less than Jake, Suicide Machines and a lot more. Need to get my ipod back out because I have Gigs of songs that I know I will be listening to for hours on end.

I used to be WAY more into it (like I used to be in a ska band) but I love me some punk and ska. Some of my favorites listed below:

Reel Big Fish
Streetlight Manifesto / Old Catch-22
Less Than Jake
Mad Caddies
Rancid
Op Ivy
Buck O Nine
Goldfinger
The Toasters
The Clash
Rise Against
Green Day
Flogging Molly

Got to add the Ramones to this one. At CBGBs in NYC my wife and I saw the Ramones, Talking Heads and a few others.

This one rips.

Some ska....
Mephiskapheles - Doomsday

Hepcat - Goodbye Street

Last edited:
Not sure it fits well here, but I’m a big dropkick Murphys guy.
Probably the only one I can get behind in this thread 🤣 I think….only because I don’t know names of the songs on our golf playlist that I might like too.

Well well well.....

This is a thread I like a lot. For me, I got into punk as a teen and was lucky that there were some bands being commercially successful otherwise I never would have heard of them in small town Eastern Oregon.

First band really was the Offspring, which led me to Rancid which got me to:

Kept diving and got to probably my favorite punk band:

Not a huge ska fan, but I am a big fan of some ska core bands like Less than Jake, Suicide Machines and a lot more. Need to get my ipod back out because I have Gigs of songs that I know I will be listening to for hours on end.

Bad Religion's catalog, from start to finish, is hands down incredible. The Decades videos they put together on YouTube a few years back are awesome, seeing them revisit their history was so fun to watch.

I'm not a huge NOFX fan by any means, but I absolutely LOVE this version of The Decline.

Not sure it fits well here, but I’m a big dropkick Murphys guy.

Fits fine IMHO, pretty broad spectrum. I dig me some of their stuff.

Bad Religion's catalog, from start to finish, is hands down incredible. The Decades videos they put together on YouTube a few years back are awesome, seeing them revisit their history was so fun to watch.

I'm not a huge NOFX fan by any means, but I absolutely LOVE this version of The Decline.

Probably the two best but most different live bands I have ever seen. Lucky enough to go to a few shows, but remember warped tour where they both played at. NoFX was so funny and cracking up in between rocking out. Bad Religion... "we are bad Religion" and bam they were going HAM. The mosh pit went absolutely nuts and they just rocked out song after song and they were all absolute bangers.

Back