vgolfman

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Just posted this on the tweeter machine and thought it could lead to an interesting discussion on the THP forum so...

I'll me monitoring (lurking?) and will try to answer any follow up questions, but preference will be giving to tweeted questions. ;)

Thanks as always for the knowledge bombs @vgolfman - I had no idea that the change in lie to face angle was that insignificant.

What, to you, is the most important aspect of putter fitting?

Wait wait wait...

Shouldn't adjusting lie angle leave the loft the same?? If you didn't adjust it it was off say flat or upright, your loft would be messed up there correct? Which really kind of manifests in jacked-up face angle. The loft either making the ball start more left or right of the target depending on how you are off. But zeroing on the lie angle should bring it back to normal..

Thanks as always for the knowledge bombs @vgolfman - I had no idea that the change in lie to face angle was that insignificant.

so little loft, it makes sense there is not going to be much change. It is basically 90* or 93* really. lol.

Wait wait wait...

Shouldn't adjusting lie angle leave the loft the same?? If you didn't adjust it it was off say flat or upright, your loft would be messed up there correct? Which really kind of manifests in jacked-up face angle. The loft either making the ball start more left or right of the target depending on how you are off. But zeroing on the lie angle should bring it back to normal..
I'm equally confused by this as well, I didn't think adjusting the lie angle on the putter was going to do a whole lot to the loft. The way it presents itself to the ball maybe, like a dynamic loft? (still doesn't super make sense but that's golf) or is it changing the static loft on the putter?

I think you guys are missing the boat here. He's not talking about the loft changing - he's talking about the face angle changing (i.e., more open or closed).

I'm equally confused by this as well, I didn't think adjusting the lie angle on the putter was going to do a whole lot to the loft. The way it presents itself to the ball maybe, like a dynamic loft? (still doesn't super make sense but that's golf) or is it changing the static loft on the putter?
Well @vgolfman did the math showing it doesn’t change much at all. Which makes sense when dealing with so little loft. I am curious to make sure I understand what he is saying. If you start with a static flat like then adjust back to a flat lie all things should remain the same.

The loft is NOT changing. Only the lie angle. As the lie goes up/down the face starts to point left/right. Most people are aware of this correlation on irons (see examples below), which is very important to start line and ball flight curvature in an iron fitting. Too many people then correlate a similar effect to putters, however as the loft is so little (typically 3* like in my example) the effect is so very small. In fact, if loft was zero, lie wouldn't matter at all. 🤔🤔
1708554810653.png

Understand now?

The loft is NOT changing. Only the lie angle. As the lie goes up/down the face starts to point left/right. Most people are aware of this correlation on irons (see examples below), which is very important to start line and ball flight curvature in an iron fitting. Too many people then correlate a similar effect to putters, however as the loft is so little (typically 3* like in my example) the effect is so very small. In fact, if loft was zero, lie wouldn't matter at all. 🤔🤔
View attachment 9243931

Understand now?
Way much more, yes. I read face angle as loft, because I forgot how reading works apparently and mixed loft and face angle. It's been a day :(

Way much more, yes. I read face angle as loft, because I forgot how reading works apparently and mixed loft and face angle. It's been a day :(
Season 10 Hug GIF by Friends

View attachment 9243931

Understand now?
Ok. This is what I was thinking.. thanks!

Great question. If you make me pick a single, most important thing, I'd say alignment accuracy/consistency. Other things that matter a lot, in no particular order... length, loft, grip, head weight, shaft and loft. Things that matter a little... lie and how cool the head cover is.

Not exactly on topic…but what do you think about the theory behind lie angle balance putters?

So much for eyes over.

15130_2.jpg

Just posted this on the tweeter machine and thought it could lead to an interesting discussion on the THP forum so...

I'll me monitoring (lurking?) and will try to answer any follow up questions, but preference will be giving to tweeted questions. ;)

Super interesting. Any states for irons or wedges that are bent?

Great question. If you make me pick a single, most important thing, I'd say alignment accuracy/consistency. Other things that matter a lot, in no particular order... length, loft, grip, head weight, shaft and loft. Things that matter a little... lie and how cool the head cover is.
Umm, this is THP @vgolfman The coolness of the headcover is THE most important factor!

Super interesting. Any states for irons or wedges that are bent?
A loft of 26* and a lie angle that is off by 2* changes the face angle by about 1*. The higher the loft, the more effective face angle/start line changes. Example, the least effect is on putter, then driver.... the most would be on wedges.

A loft of 26* and a lie angle that is off by 2* changes the face angle by about 1*. The higher the loft, the more effective face angle/start line changes. Example, the least effect is on putter, then driver.... the most would be on wedges.

Hmmmm………🤔

That’s the last place I ever think about lie angle. Damn.

Bumping this from the morning crowd.

Back