Putts Per Round - Overrated Number?

The OP stated that missing greens will lower your putts per round so please explain why this number is not important.

Because ppr has very little correlation to score. Didn't mean GIR isn't important, that probably has highest correlation to score of all the old school stats.

What stats are important to you? You have only said what you feel is not important.

Strokes gained is #1 by far.

Proximity to hole, GIR, Good drives (FIR+GIR when you miss fairway) are the ones off the top of my head that are useful.

3 putt avoidance is decent as well I guess, but it is highly tied to proximity to hole.

I think a better indicator of your putting performance is total distance of putts made. You can roughly walk off how far each one is.

Slightly better probably but super easy to be skewed. If you 2 putt 3 holes in a row from 50 feet that is really solid but might only be 5 feet of putts made, same as hitting a 50 foot bomb and following that up by 3 2 putts from 5 feet, might look good but is awful.

As long as the actual number is between 30-36 you're good. Anything outside of that typically means either poor ball contact or on the high end bad putting. Can't really remember the last time I didn't have under 36 putts

As long as the actual number is between 30-36 you're good. Anything outside of that typically means either poor ball contact or on the high end bad putting. Can't really remember the last time I didn't have under 36 putts

id say in general you'd probably be correct but that's only in general. But placing a number on it is still not something that should be done as a definite tell tail sign of how well one is putting. One can in theory spend all day chipping/pitching very close after missing most or even all greens and so putting up a 34 strokes putting may actually be on the poor side where as far too many 1-putt opportunities were missed. But hence the problem with stats...... No matter what and how you think they speak to you they can be and are indeed often skewed.

I think that is to general of a statement, this would vary depending on the player. For myself and most of the guys I play with anything over 30 is considered poor and over 32 is awful.

As others have said I think total putts is good when some other factors are considered. Strokes gained putting or putts per gir are better indicators of putting performance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think that is to general of a statement, this would vary depending on the player. For myself and most of the guys I play with anything over 30 is considered poor and over 32 is awful.

Still a general assessment that can be meaningless unless you take greens hit into account. If I hit 18 green 32 putts is pretty good but if I miss 18 greens 24 could be a bad number.

I don't thing there is one statistic that can sum up putting performance. Probably the best would be strokes gained since that generally compares you to a particular level of golfer, 3 putt avoidance, and make percentage from a distance.

Still a general assessment that can be meaningless unless you take greens hit into account. If I hit 18 green 32 putts is pretty good but if I miss 18 greens 24 could be a bad number.

I don't thing there is one statistic that can sum up putting performance. Probably the best would be strokes gained since that generally compares you to a particular level of golfer, 3 putt avoidance, and make percentage from a distance.
I agree that is why I wrote I thought putts per gir or strokes gained putting were better indicators of putting performance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think it's helpful to a degree, but take it in context as well....I mean if I hit a wedge and stick the landing pin high within 6 feet and 2 putt, that's bad (while I'm generally pretty happy to 2 putt, if looking at it with no context).

If I'm 20 feet out...I don't want to 3 putt either...because I should be able to knock the 20 footer within a couple feet most times.

That said...if your ball lands on the green and you've got a 70 foot putt all the way to the other side....I don't think you should kick yourself if you wind up with a 3 putt.

I think as a general rule though...there is nothing wrong with setting a goal to average 2 putts (or however many) per hole. Or x amount per round.

I think that regardless of the number of putts you take, you KNOW if you are putting well or not. You can putt awesome, have nothing fall and have 36 putts or you can have a bad day putting but because of other things in your game, have a lower number of putts.

Unless every putt is over 35 feet 36 putts is just awful.

At this point in my game it is a non-issue for me. I am still trying to get "house hit" to zero!:D

As a general rule, I sort of know if I had a good putt day or not, knowing actually how many I had, would not help me at the moment. For a high handicapper I am concerned about just getting to the green.

Is there a stat that makes a correlation of putts in a round versus your score differential from handicap? That would be useful. Seems like that would be a better indication of how significant the number of putts were in terms of the effect on your total score.

I didn't read every post so forgive me if someone already mentioned it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strokes gained is the only good one that can be independent of ball striking stats and their effect on putting stats.

Some that are decent would be putts per gir and % made by certain distances but the % made is mostly useless in a sample size of 1 round.

Overrated? Nah, not for everyone. I find the correlation to score pretty accurate. Others, maybe not so much. My short game is pretty weak from what I've been reading in this thread. If I chip it on, I have as much chance of getting a tap in as I do stubbing it to the edge of the green. That poor short game allows the numbers to be meaningful to me.

I think a more telling stat would be distance left from x feet. 10-15 foot putt, what is the average second putt length? How about 20-30? The distance for 90% success rate on putts could be another. So overrated, I don't think it is. But I also don't think it's the single most telling stat either.

Back