Putts per Round - What's "Good" to You?

BigMac

#LLTG!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
When you look back at a round of golf, what number do you like to see to feel satisfied about your putting? What would you consider a "great" round, a "decent" round, a "so-so" round and a "poor" round, as far as your putting went?

Any round where the number of putts starts with a 2 is very good.

35 and higher, I’m not happy at all.

the stuff in between is arbitrary

24 putts would be an absolutely unreal round, as it would likely mean no 3 putts and probably a half-dozen one putts. Anything between that and 30 is great.

30-34 is decent, 35-38 is so-so and anything more is hot garbage.

If I figure on four par 5s, four par 3s and the remaining 10 holes are par 4s, I'm taking 12 strokes, 4 and 20 respectively just to get to the putting surface. That's 36 total, and that's if it's perfect. If my final score is going to be between 75 and 78, that means I have 39-42 strokes to work with. Since my non-putting game is not going to be perfect I'm going to probably use 6-9 of those strokes, so I have to be in the low 30s with the flat-stick. Yes, it's a lot of math and it's not normally something I track nor think about. Whatever happens while I'm on the course happens, and hopefully when it's all added up the first digit is a 7.

My current average putts per round is 32. Under 30 would be great more than 34 would be bad.

Anything under 30 putts is really good unless all those one putts where bogeys.
30-36 is good
Over 36 and its a bad day.

Depends how many greens I hit. 25 putts means nothing to me if I had to chip 15 times
That would mean you got up & down about 12 of 15 times - meaning you made 12 one putts. That's pretty dam good to me.

According to GHIN, my average for all rounds in 2021 is 32.2. I generally break it down along these lines:

>36 = Poor
33-36 = Fair/so-so
30-32 = Decent
<30 = Very Good

At this point, anything under 2 putts per hole is a win. I think I've found a more consistent stroke, and I have a fitting later this month, so I'm hopeful I can improve my putting stats next season.

For me anything under 30 is a great day, 30-32 is a good solid day, 33-35 is meh, and anything 36 and up is poor.

29 or less

Relative to how well I'm playing overall, on a course I don't play very often I'm happy to stay under 40. On a course I have some knowledge/experience of, I'm looking to stay under 37.

Under 30 is a great day. 30-34 is good but over that I'm not happy.

As a high handicapper, anything 36 or less is a win for me. My main problem is that I’m not skilled enough to get my shots close to the hole from off the green, and my local course has really difficult greens anyway, so more often then not I’m looking at two putts. I’m actually not bad at putting, but constantly having my first putt 15ft or more each time makes finishing a hole with one putt a little hard.

30-32 is acceptable.

Around 30 is solid.

I feel like my total putts is more a reflection of my short game that day. Some of my lowest putts rounds have been lots of missed greens and multiple chips to gimmie range.

If I hit my normal amount of greens I'd say anything under 30 is great, 30 to 33 is very good, 34 to 36 is average and anything higher is poor.

According to Shotscope, I average 40.4 putts per round. Today I averaged 33 putts per round. I'll take 33 over 40.4 any day of the week and twice on Sunday.:)

Happy 29 and down, grumpy 34 and up. The middle area I’ll let Arccos tell me if I should be happy or grumpy.

According to GHIN, my average for all rounds in 2021 is 32.2. I generally break it down along these lines:

>36 = Poor
33-36 = Fair/so-so
30-32 = Decent
<30 = Very Good
Ooh! A scale for rating performance!:D

>36 = Poor (That's being very judgy toward lesser skilled golfers and hurts their feelings.):ROFLMAO: They want double bogies too!
33-36 = Fair/so-so (That's being overly critical of lesser skilled golfers and hurts their feelings.):ROFLMAO: They want bogies too!
30-32 = Decent (That's being overly critical of lesser skilled golfers and hurts lesser skilled golfers feelings.):ROFLMAO: They want pars too!
<30 = Very Good (That's smacks of being snobbish and elitist. This hurts lesser skilled golfers feelings.):ROFLMAO: They want birdies and eagles too!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Just picking and having some fun :LOL::LOL:

<2 putts per hole and I’m happy. More than 36 in a round I’m not happy. 36 and I’m so-so. If I’m putting 20 footers to tap in range that’s cause for celebration. The hole is bound to get in the way soon.

Sub 30 is great, 31-33 is good, 34-35 is very meh and 36 or above hurts my soul lol

30 and below to me is a good day. Have hit it a few times but generally around 32 or so.

Back