Realistically how long can you use the same set of irons without it impacting you negatively?

Paddy1Putt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I am just curious what your thoughts are on this. I own some 2017 F7 Cobras and absolutely can hit them better than anything I have ever purchased etc... I've been through Ping 410, i210, Taylor Made Sims, and some others.....

I'm 46 and play about once 1 week. Do I run much risk staying with these for the rest of my golfing life? I ask, because I am really tempted to buy a set of them same specs off of eBay but wanted to console the forum first before spending that type of scratch or do you have a different solution?

6 through GW are my best clubs I absolutely love them, I am concerned as time goes on it will become harder and harder to find these.... Or am I being weird? Is it as simple as staying in the same club family and finding something that matches these in weight, length etc.... I'm just concerned if I lose a club I am in trouble and would like to have another set.....

Recently I played with an gentleman in his early 60's who had some older ping zing blue dots and said he would never switch off of them, he knows them and plays well with them. ***He did when we payed together and they were from the 90s I think. A buddy of mine who is an assistant club pro uses those old Hogan irons from 2000, he refuses to swtich... But again this is just one persons opinion and by no means a club junky or clubby.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

One last note. Johnny Miller in an article once said if you find a set of irons you can hit always stick with them...... I also beleive Mark Calcavecchia bought a ton of Ping G series as well once they went into a model change.

Last edited:
I'm wondering how many THPers will respond with 1 or 2 rounds.

Tech changes every few years so dispersion might get tighter but it is a trade off for spending and really up to you.

As far as wearing out the grooves? A long, long time. Thousands of rounds I'd guess.

As far as tech potentially providing benefits, or your swing changing to where a new fitting is warranted? I wouldn't go more than 10 years without at least taking a look. I went about 7 years between fitted iron sets and trust me when I say there was a big difference. To the tune of 1-2 clubs of distance and night and day dispersion.

It depends on how often you play but, a long time.

Interesting question. You would be giving up tech advances that make things easier, but i dont know that it would have negative impact.... short of the risk of equipment failure and worn grooves. You wouldnt be doing yourself any favors keeping them, but if you are comfortable and play them well, all the power to you. I have seen guys shoot par with crazy old clubs.

You shouldn’t use them if the grooves wear out. But beyond that don’t worry about it. 20 years? 30 years? Mine are 11 years old and I bet I’ll get another 10-15 out of them. Don’t underestimate the impact that confidence and a history of hitting great shots with a set of clubs can have.

Even if you played 100 rounds a year they will last quite a few years. I have a friend who is retired and plays about 250 rounds a year, has been using the same clubs going on 5 years now. He doesn't have any issues at all.

I am just curious what your thoughts are on this. I own some 2017 F7 Cobras and absolutely can hit them better than anything I have ever purchased etc... I've been through Ping 410, i210, Taylor Made Sims, and some others.....

I'm 46 and play about once 1 week. Do I run much risk staying with these for the rest of my golfing life? I ask, because I am really tempted to buy a set of them same specs off of eBay but wanted to console the forum first before spending that type of scratch or do you have a different solution?

6 through GW are my best clubs I absolutely love them, I am concerned as time goes on it will become harder and harder to find these.... Or am I being weird? Is it as simple as staying in the same club family and finding something that matches these in weight, length etc.... I'm just concerned if I lose a club I am in trouble and would like to have another set.....

Recently I played with an gentleman in his early 60's who had some older ping zing blue dots and said he would never switch off of them, he knows them and plays well with them. ***He did when we payed together and they were from the 90s I think. A buddy of mine who is an assistant club pro uses those old Hogan irons from 2000, he refuses to swtich... But again this is just one persons opinion and by no means a club junky or clubby.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

One last note. Johnny Miller in an article once said if you find a set of irons you can hit always stick with them...... I also beleive Mark Calcavecchia bought a ton of Ping G series as well once they went into a model change.

One set of irons I had were played for about 750 rounds with little to no sign of wear or diminished performance other than having to check loft and lie periodically.

The only reason I moved on from them was that as my skill improved and my swing changed the specs on the irons no longer matched what I needed. My new irons have less offset, more loft, thinner soles and top lines, are shorter from heel to toe, as well as having shafts that are heavier and stiffer.

I still have the old set at home and my brother plays them when he comes to visit.

I would say 3 to5 years.

I really don't know. My current bag of clubs haven't reached that age yet.

I recently gave away a 2021 set of TE blades to my cousin's Granddaughter. She hit them better than I could.

My current gamers are 20+ years old, and 7 years older than my second, back up bag.

My putter is around 38+/- years old. I putt well enough with it to not want anything newer.

I had taylormade r9 irons for 10 + years , and had several comments from golf store staff , we never see clubs like your age in such good condition .. depends on frequency of use + where you play + condition/ care of equipment = outcome.

I played one set for 20 years, then went through a couple trying things out over a few years. I got my current gamers a year or so ago and can see them staying with me for at least 10 more years.

I used the same Mizuno MP33s for over a decade and still played them very well.

Depends on skill level. for a High cap who needs the help Tech wise 4-5 years is a long time.
I just moved on from my FT from the 2018 morgan cup. Went to a GI iron and I am very happy.

A good player can probably stay with a set longer but we know how some THPers are.

JMHO

I tell my wife 1 to 2 years. Then I look good when I wait 3/4 years.

Depends on how you view a negative impact. I don't think you're game would get any worse by gaming the same irons for years, but you'd miss out on tech improvements. How much those improvements would help your scorecard is probably going to be player dependent.

For most of us 1-2 decades, IF we maintain those clubs. That means:
  • Keeping them clean so there is no dirt in the grooves
  • Changing out the grips regularly (for most avid golfers this means every 6-18 months)
  • Getting the loft and lie angles checked every couple years (and adjusted if found out of whack)
Now I wouldn't advise this for a low handicap player who plays competitively. But for a 20-30 handicap golfer who plays for fun, you are unlikely to notice a difference unless you go through some drastic swing change that makes those clubs no longer suitable for you.

The answer is generally "longer than most are willing to play with them"

I tried to upgrade and it was a disaster 5 different times.... 5000 k or more.... I am done and I can hit these guy's fine. My 8 iron goes 140 carry and I was trying to get a set where it went 150... I tried like hell but I couldn't hit the short ones on the Taylormade Sim set. The i210 were a disaster for the 5 and 6 iron. 410 were graphite and everything was out to the right, UGH......

Im the complete opposite, went down that road wasted a ton of money I am good lol.

IIRC there's video around here somewhere with Michael Vriska - a very smart guy - saying that you give something away from a technology perspective with drivers after 3-5 years and irons after 10 years.

I don't know where everyone gets these grooves that last decades. I bought my Apex 16 used from a guy that I'm assuming played about as much as I do, and by mid 2019 they were beaten to a pulp. I mean you could play them, but they chew through a ball about every other hole. They're kind of the opposite of smooth. It would definitely hurt the game.

I have new ZX5 irons but still play by MP-33 and 712 AP2 sets.

I played a set of Taylormade irons for 18 years and only replaced the PW, GW, and SW a few times. The have about 2,300 rounds on them and I still take them out once or twice a year. :)

I played a set of Taylormade irons for 18 years and only replaced the PW, GW, and SW a few times. The have about 2,300 rounds on them and I still take them out once or twice a year. :)
Worth noting. Most comments like mine are about IRONS. I consider wedges a different category. I have to replace those about every 2 years and I'm a low handicap player. Meaning for me, I depend on sharp grooves in wedges.

Worth noting. Most comments like mine are about IRONS. I consider wedges a different category. I have to replace those about every 2 years and I'm a low handicap player. Meaning for me, I depend on sharp grooves in wedges.
Titleist claims that performance of a wedge will begin deteriorate after 65 to 75 rounds.

Back