Run through lines…anyone aware of them?

bigvivec

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
going 4 it
Run through lines…anyone aware of them?

A pet peeve of mine when I actually do play with other people…walking on my run through line…that being the line that extends on the other side of the hole for a minimum of 5 feet directly on the line of my putt including consideration for the break…while most take consideration not to step on playing partner’s lines as the balls on the green lay in relation to the holes, a suprising amount never consider the run through or second putt and will walk to their ball right across the back side of the hole rather than skirting the green and entering in such a way so that unless a putt is shanked the chosen path will not come into play…anyway, it’s my cross to bear and it’s not something that I mention when playing with strangers as the concept takes more time to explain than I’d care to, but the better players I play with are aware and never go near the cup save for marking their ball and when doing so usually enter on their putting line from the rear of the ball unless their ball is on someone else’s line and then the process of marking the ball looks a little like a mission impossible bit where the player (or caddy as the case may be) looks as if they’re tiptoeing down a corridor of alarm lasers, ever mindful of the lines of the other players…

I take it as a sign of either ignorance (as in not knowing the etiquette) or general lack of awareness, but it’s a peeve all the same…

…now if they walk through my run through on the way to repairing their pitch mark as well as a few others, all is in balance and IMO they’ve done their penance at that point…

I've actually haven't heard of this. But when the BF walks through my line when I'm putting, it bugs the heck out of me and he does it on purpose :banghead:

Not that big a deal to me. A couple feet, maybe but farther than that I shouldn't have hit it that far past.

I usually give it a couple of feet, three at the most. To be honest, if someone made a big deal about it I would tell them to worry more about making the putt. If you worried about everyones run throughs in a foursome you would look like a ballerina out there.

I usually give it a couple of feet, three at the most. To be honest, if someone made a big deal about it I would tell them to worry more about making the putt. If you worried about everyones run throughs in a foursome you would look like a ballerina out there.

Im with you TGM. After a couple of feet, its overkill in my opinion. We walked some practice holes with the PGA guys at Doral and Transitions this year and spoke about this very thing. They kind of chuckled about it and never worried about it at all during the rounds.

with 4 golfers on the green, if you're asking for 5 feet past the hole

you're not leaving much room for walking to the hole to get your ball out of the cup

I do understand the ettiquite of not walking on lines, but for convenience's sake I don't think it's a big deal of someone walks on my line on the other side of the cup

(plus with most putts having break, it's hard for the rest of the golfers in your party to know what you're extended line is, since it's rarely straight past the hole)

I generally try to be cautious of it within a few feet of the hole; but, honestly, I am not that concerned about "hypothetical" putts. And considering that it would only be impacted on a missed putt, the missed run through line could vary by several feet.

I guess it depends on who's talking...

...if you watch players who play on tv, no one is tromping around the cup...everyone skirts the green and enters more or less behind their ball...it's how it's done properly and it keeps the green from being marked up too badly...thoughtful players don't take shortcuts across the green next to the cup and they don't put their feet within a foot of the rim...

...funny...it was an interview with a pro on one of those playing lessons with the pros shows that I heard him going on about run throughs and how the amateurs in the pro ams like to step all over the grass around the cup...I guess it all depends on who's doing the talking...

My first concern is the line of putt, and that does not extend past the hole. When there are 4 players on the green, all putting from different angles, trying to attend the flagstick and manage your shadow without stepping on someone's primary line can be hard enough. I'm not going to overly concern myself with the return putt until it's an actual fact.

I will reach as far as possible to remove the flagstick, and I will avoid everyone's line of putt when I do so, but I can't predict how badly anyone is going to miss the hole, so not stepping on someones run-through line is something of a crap shoot.

I don't play on the Tour, and I don't play with pros very often. Even when I do play with one or more of the course pros, they've never expressed any such concerns. In fact, in 35 years, no one I've ever played with has said a single word about it. I can't say that I've ever blamed a missed come-backer on someone stepping on my run-through line. :confused2:

.thoughtful players don't take shortcuts across the green next to the cup and they don't put their feet within a foot of the rim...

Really? Maybe we are missing something, but at the events we went to this year (4) they all are around the cup when they pull their ball out after making it. By the end of a round, the 1-2 foot area around the cup looks crazy.

I've never given this a thought. It seems like we usually surround the hole anyway so every side has a line for someone. The thing I hate is when someone gives a little hop, skip or jump over a line - great you avoided the line, but look at the mark you just left for the next group coming through.

I am loving this mental image!

I am aware of them and try to be as mindful of them as I can. As Fourputt mentioned, with 4 players, regular lines, and shadows it can be difficult to do. If I pull or tend a flag I will do my best to not get in a through line.

I had the opportunity to caddie for 12 holes at a Nationwide Tour event a few years ago (Guy's caddie was sick and couldn't continue, right place, right time for me). I was asking the other caddie different things when I had the chance. One thing he brought up after about two holes was to watch the through line and try to walk around the hole in a way that it wouldn't be stepped on. Luckily there were only two players in the group so it wasn't that hard to do. The player mentioned it to me at some point as well, so I guess some of them care about it.

If you are missing the cup by 5ft, you have other issues besides through lines. I pay attention to the primary line and will pay attention right around the cup to not disturb the ground as much as possible, other than that I don't care.

I am well aware of them. Played in a tournament a year or so ago,one of our 3 ball was very anal about them,insisting on several feet to be allowed. He didnt appreciate it being pointed out that his putting must suck to need such an allowance.:banana:

IMO, people fussing over others walking on their putting line is a bunch of nonsense. People walk all over the greens all day long, someone walking on your putting line isnt going to make a bit of difference.

IMO, people fussing over others walking on their putting line is a bunch of nonsense. People walk all over the greens all day long, someone walking on your putting line isnt going to make a bit of difference.

And especially, someone walking on your possible line? You'd have to block off about a 20 square foot area for this (5 feet long, 2 feet on either side in case your aim is off). :confused2:

And especially, someone walking on your possible line? You'd have to block off about a 20 square foot area for this (5 feet long, 2 feet on either side in case your aim is off). :confused2:

I agree with both thoughts. I think that it certainly CAN happen, but in my opinion this has to do more with some dated rules when spikes punctured grass. Granted the new spikes can tear up greens too, but they are being walked on all day every day. Unless you play first and are the first after the rollers come out, I do not see it affecting people.

I think that most people try and avoid walking on their partners lines, I've never given any thought to walking on the run through though. I prefer that nobody walks in my line but if they do it doesn't bother me.

I don't think it matters much, but I always try to consider the putting and through line. I play with strangers a lot, and they often tell me to not worry about it (but they then are considerate of my line for the rest of the round)! One thing that I sometimes like to do, if I meet the right crowd, is taking a really exaggarated long walk around the through line(s), 20 ft. or so around the hole, for entertainment value.

Make the first putt and it is not an issue. Stop ball closer to the hole when a miss happens....Not an issue. Besides there is more damage near the hole on all sides as it is, due to folks walking up and picking their ball out of the cup, leaving spike marks.

Folks should thank me because I don't wear spiked shoes most of the time. My flat soled shoes smooth out some of those spike marks left by others. :banana:

I take it as a sign of either ignorance (as in not knowing the etiquette) or general lack of awareness, but it’s a peeve all the same…

……

I would take this as a sign of someone who is a little too full of themselves or they can't putt worth a damn.

This is problely true unless it's Claire's(Gasman's) ballerina

I have never thought about this. I guess with everyone playing before I reach the green there is nothing I can do about what condition the the area immediately around the hole looks any way. As for people walking in the line behind the hole, that has not been an issue either at least for me.

Back