RyanG’s Road to a 5

ryang13

Wristy McWristFace
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
9.0 GC
After some deliberation and a chat with Mrs. G, I’ve decided to put this one out there. Like I mentioned in another thread, I ended last year at around a 20 hcp and currently sitting at a 10 on the Trackman. I gave a brief explanation of how the handicap system works and what my scoring would have to be to get to an actual 10 to my wife and her response was “so what’s stopping you?”. I didn’t have an answer that didn’t sound like an excuse, and I’m sure you all are a much better audience for a road to improvement story so I’m going to use this thread to post updates, stuff I’m working on in my lessons and practice, and hopefully be able to provide some chuckles along the way. Thanks for the support from all who’ve shown it and for providing an amazing place to grow, get motivated, and converse with others that are enjoying the game and all it provides. I’ve had a few lessons up to this point so I’ll try to get some “updates” posted later on.

Cheers everyone.

Ryan

Quick backstory and more context here, I had a pretty inconsistent 2021 season. Because of work conflicts in the spring, I didn’t play my first round of golf until mid July. Despite the tough start, I was able to play about 15 rounds, split about 50/50 in the triple digits and the 90’s, with 90 being my lowest score this year and 108 being my worst. I would say my two biggest struggles were punishing myself off the tee box and inconsistent iron play - my short game and putting were the highlights for sure. It’s tough watching another tee shot sail into the woods, even tougher to finally put a good one in the fairway and slice the follow up into the woods or bunt it down the fairway. I had remarked to my regular group a few times during rounds that I had been thinking of taking some lessons over the winter to fix some of the issues but wanted to find someone I was comfortable working with first. As the season wound down and courses started closing, I started looking for a winter simulator league to continue the momentum from my late start and keep playing on a consistent basis. I ended up finding a facility that had just opened up not far from work (I was actually one of their first customers at the new facility) and joined up with the league right away.

How much do you think you can play in 2022? If you take lessons or even organically figure out how to minimize some of your misses, plus play a lot more golf, it would seem to be very doable.

I've always kind of been a believer that getting to a 10~ was mostly about just getting to the greens with minimal problems. And then getting from 10 to 0 starts becoming dis proportionally short game related. It's probably because that's how i did it (pounded balls my first few years and then worked on short game as i got better)

I'm sure there is data suggesting this is all nonsense. All parts of golf are important. But if you can just get it pin high in regulation and not be dead--you can be a 10 pretty quick

Looking forward to following your progress, so please keep us up to date.

Similar situation here. I ended the season with a 22 handicap, started out the season shooting in the low 100s and ended in the low 90's. Additionally, I shot an 87, breaking 90 for the first time since I started playing again (after a 10-year hiatus) when I retired in 2019. Given how I ended the season, I've come to the conclusion that getting to 10, while perhaps a stretch goal, is not impossible for me either.

Last edited:
That's what I like to hear! Good luck in the journey man! Excited to follow along!

Good luck you got this!

How much do you think you can play in 2022? If you take lessons or even organically figure out how to minimize some of your misses, plus play a lot more golf, it would seem to be very doable.

I've always kind of been a believer that getting to a 10~ was mostly about just getting to the greens with minimal problems. And then getting from 10 to 0 starts becoming dis proportionally short game related. It's probably because that's how i did it (pounded balls my first few years and then worked on short game as i got better)

I'm sure there is data suggesting this is all nonsense. All parts of golf are important. But if you can just get it pin high in regulation and not be dead--you can be a 10 pretty quick
At the VERY least I’m looking to double my rounds played (bring it up to 25+ on the season). I didn’t really anticipate my workload last spring being the way it ended up being, I’m sure many people can empathize and commiserate with life getting in the way! Lessons are in the works, got a few “update” posts to share on my swing analysis and the first 2 lessons I’ve taken so far. Eliminating a miss on one side of the course has been a big part of the workload and has definitely helped me in my simulator rounds so far!

But if you can just get it pin high in regulation and not be dead--you can be a 10 pretty quick
I love how easy this sounds. This may be my mantra in ‘22.

Looking forward to following your progress, so please keep us up to date.

Similar situation here. I ended the season with a 22 handicap, started out the season shooting in the low 100s and ended in the low 90's. Additionally, I shot an 87, breaking 90 for the first time since I started playing again (after a 10-year hiatus) when I retired in 2019. Given how I ended the season, I've come to the conclusion that getting to 10, while perhaps a stretch goal, is not unreasonable for me either.
How good did that 87 feel?! Congratulations on your retirement and good luck in your improvement!

Might write this on the palm of my glove.
Right! It sounds like we have similar games. I get much better, relatively speaking, the closer I get to the green. Short game all in all was pretty tidy this past year.

I will be following closely, rooting for you, and maybe picking up a tip or two along the way.

Right! It sounds like we have similar games. I get much better, relatively speaking, the closer I get to the green. Short game all in all was pretty tidy this past year.
I joked with Rob (swing coach) after my new irons showed up that I didn’t want to do the golf equivalent of buying a Ferrari and stalling it in the parking lot so “don’t stall” has been our mantra. Someday I’m going to have the same level of confidence off the tee that I do with a short iron/wedge.

For me it was 2 things that mainly got me under ten.
1. Short game, missing a green is not big deal but you have to get that chip, (only 1 chip) close. You cannot be chipping twice.
2. Putting, chip close and make those one putts. Or if GIR then only two putts. Eliminate 3 putts and that is quite a few strokes.

One thing I would do is break the course into 6/3 hole rounds. if you go +2 in each 3 holes that is 12 over par for the round, which is roughly a 9HC depending on slope and all the other crap that goes into it. It is a good place to start, then move the goal to +1 every 3 holes and you are breaking 80 every time.

For me it was 2 things that mainly got me under ten.
1. Short game, missing a green is not big deal but you have to get that chip, (only 1 chip) close. You cannot be chipping twice.
2. Putting, chip close and make those one putts. Or if GIR then only two putts. Eliminate 3 putts and that is quite a few strokes.

One thing I would do is break the course into 6/3 hole rounds. if you go +2 in each 3 holes that is 12 over par for the round, which is roughly a 9HC depending on slope and all the other crap that goes into it. It is a good place to start, then move the goal to +1 every 3 holes and you are breaking 80 every time.
This is great advice, thank you sir! I like the idea of breaking things up, I’m hoping walking more rounds will get me to slow down and focus on the task at hand a bit more. The 3 putts definitely need to go down, I’ve been spending more time each day with the flat stick as it’s the easiest club for me to practice (at lunch in the office, while the kiddos are watching a Saturday afternoon movie, etc) and an impromptu lesson from Rob one night was a game changer on that front. He was watching me roll some before I played a round at his facility and took some time with an alignment stick and got me to square up my feet/hips/forearms and explained it as “putting is 3 things - target line, alignment to target, and pace”. Within 5-10 minutes I was more consistent, I would have never come to the conclusion that keeping the forearms square would help keep the face of the putter square on my own.

Here’s another thought… if you’re slicing drivers and fairway woods out of play, don’t hit them! Tee off with the longest club you can hit consistently straight. Never hit an approach shot with a club that you can’t hit consistently straight.

Look at it like this. If you can hit a 7-iron straight and 150 yards with some consistency you should be able to make bogey or maybe even par on a 450 yard hole! Easy par or bogey on a 300 yarder. Especially if your chipping and putting are somewhat sound.

The golf course is not the place to learn how to hit a driver or FW or long iron straight and far. That is what the driving range is for. When you get to the course, play golf! Sensible, safe, consistent golf. Fastest way to lower scores is no penalties, keep it in the fairway, and chip/pitch and putt.

This is a great read! Thanks for sharing @ryang13

I really look forward to following along with you this season. I had thoughts on doing a similar type of thread but I think it might end up being too much pressure for me personally and instead I’m going to do a thread regarding the lessons I’m going to start in a couple weeks.

Good luck getting to your goal!

Hank Haney breaks it down to 3 things:

58E00E6D-DACB-4D50-9DC8-CB39748E1DF7.jpeg

Like Hank or not, those 3 things are huge and easy to focus on!

Are you a 10 on the Trackman Combine? Is that what you are referring to?

I would start with tracking stats to see where you are losing strokes. @USAF Ret in Wis posted the keys to staying consistently below bogey golf. Eliminate penalty shots, 2 chips and 3 putts. Tracking stats will help you figure out where your issues are then you can put a plan together. If you can consistently drive the ball 230 between the trees (no penalty strokes per round) there is no reason you can’t play to a 10 or better.

My swing guru told me that accurate tee shots, (fairways and greens) and putting well was the key to low scoring golf.

When I missed a fairway, he told me to recover to an easier approach shot. To take my medicine.

That when I missed a green, to pitch, or chip accurately, and putt even better.

To work on the longer approach shots. 160 yards and closer.

That all these scenarios were the path to a lower single digit handicap.

This discussion took place at the beginning of our 8 year student /teacher partnership. His words and alot of work on my part had me playing to single digits on just about every new, or familiar course I played.

My point is to play consistent single digit golf, find the right instructor, stick with that instructor, and put in the required work. Pretty simple plan, right?....lol

My swing guru told me that accurate tee shots, (fairways and greens) and putting well was the key to low scoring golf.

When I missed a fairway, he told me to recover to an easier approach shot. To take my medicine.

That when I missed a green, to pitch, or chip accurately, and putt even better.

To work on the longer approach shots. 160 yards and closer.

That all these scenarios were the path to a lower single digit handicap.

This discussion took place at the beginning of our 8 year student /teacher partnership. His words and alot of work on my part had me playing to single digits on just about every new, or familiar course I played.

My point is to play consistent single digit golf, find the right instructor, stick with that instructor, and put in the required work. Pretty simple plan, right?....lol

That is all solid advice. I agree that accurate tee shots are very important. If you hit the ball in between the trees you should be able to get the ball up by the green then make bogey or better assuming you only have one chip and not more than 2 putts.

Good luck! That would be a fantastic achievement.

^^^This ... along with the 3 items from Hank Haney that was posted by @USAF Ret in Wis. You can do it!

Back