Senior flex shafts (they are actually really cool, for slower swing speeds!)

butchammon

Keeping it "old school"
Reaction score
Handicap
what?
Now, now, c'mon guys.... No egos, okay? No admonishing others. No trash talk.

It's just that some of us older guys -just don't have the swing that we used to have- and had to make adjustments. For me, I stumbled upon a used Taylor Made 3-Wood in one of those used sporting goods stores, laying in the rack. It had a Senior Shaft factory stock from Taylor Made, excellent condition, yada yada yada... So, I took a chance on it, figuring, "what the hell", you know? Anyway, long story short - I took the old used Taylor Made Burner (from 2007) 3-Wood out to the range, just to see what it would do with my laid back, easygoing, type of golf swing at 62 years old.

Ka-pow... I cleanly swept the ball straight off the astroturf mat at the range, dead straight, 230 yards! o_O
I said to myself, "Wait a minute.... just wait a minute... that was a fluke... that can't be right!"
Ka-pow... Again, straight out there, cleanly off the astroturf mat 230 yards. o_O

So, as you can read in my various posts, I completely outfitted myself, club by club, with excellent condition/used Taylor Made clubs in a senior shaft. The new 10.5° driver (Taylor Made Burner 2007 Driver with RE-AX senior flex shaft) is amazing, mint condition for being used. I can hit it (carry distance - not including roll) 250+ yards without even trying to kill it! Unbelievable.... :love:

I'm not a wuss, I'm not a wimp, it's just that after all these years, and my nagging lower back (L5/S1), I just don't have the 96 mph swing speed that I had back in the day. Nothing wrong with that.... You just have to find something that works for your game. My son-in-law teases me and calls them "Grandpa clubs", but I just say "Shut up... I'll show you!", and I can match him drive for drive on the course! :cool:

You’re safe on THP, nobody here is going to trash talk you for using senior flex shafts! 😆 Whatever works best for you is what works best for you, smart move to not let ego/pride get in the way of a better golf game.

I’ve asked fitters at my last two fittings if I’d benefit from senior flex shafts, both have assured me that I’m not there yet - but when the time comes I’ll do it without hesitation.

Not only maybe some extra distance but also less pain. Know if I hit a shaft too stiff there's pain in the lower back for a day or two. As we old people say "getting old ain't for sissies".

Would be nice if there was an industry standard for flex. I had a light bulb moment recently with flex. Put a Ventus blue 5r in my Radspeed big tour 3 wood head. Shotscope average distance with combo is 244. Thinking it might be time to go r flex in driver.

I used a 3wd with a Tensei CK series A flex from a 7wd as my "driver" for two years. Short course, but I could hang with the older gentleman I played with driver shots. Looked like John Daly's backswing and yes I sent a lot of balls into the drink, or a front yard.

Sounds like you’ve made a great discovery! Glad for you! More players would likely have increased enjoyment out on the course if they would just experiment with this sort of thing a little more.

Driver, 5W, hybrids, irons, all senior flex.

Just got new irons. Got senior flex tipped 1/2”. Fitter said I’m almost there.
what about the Ping ultra lite shafts? How do those compare?

I used a 3wd with a Tensei CK series A flex from a 7wd as my "driver" for two years. Short course, but I could hang with the older gentleman I played with driver shots. Looked like John Daly's backswing and yes I sent a lot of balls into the drink, or a front yard.
LOL.... I agree. I can vividly remember trying (in vain) to compete with my nephews and my son-in-law, swinging with everything I had in my very soul. Sure, sure, I sent the ball way out there 225 yards out there, but then way way way way off course into the trees. o_O:rolleyes:

<Clint Eastwood's famous quote>
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited:
Sounds like you’ve made a great discovery! Glad for you! More players would likely have increased enjoyment out on the course if they would just experiment with this sort of thing a little more.
Thank you..... I learned the hard way through golf. As we age, there comes a point where you just can't do the things we used to do. So with the help of Senior shaft clubs, we can still take a normal, gentleman's swing off the tee, and still drive the golf ball 250+ yards straight down the fairway! :cool:

I'm 55 and still swing 105+ mph with driver, but I'll say, with recent experience, that senior flex shafts are more than just fine.

Trying to simulate the Autoflex shaft's properties (after watching a Mr. ShortGame vid), I bought a Project X Evenflow Riptide CB in A-flex. It's not a weak shaft at all. I happened to spin it too much, but never throughout the swing did I sense the shaft to be "weak." Softer than my usual, of course. But it felt stable as heck.

Obviously, I'll try, and play, anything that works. That's what we should all do, imho.

Bought a heavenwood from CPO. Has an A flex shaft that I was playing for 2 or 3 years without even realizing LOL. My driver is a stiff shaft.

I've played senior flex shafts for one season now (along with senior tees). Glad I made the switch. As to what other might think? Like I give a scheisse. My definition of ego is people who are so afraid of what others think they let that control their actions. It's actually kinda wimpy.

My issue with A flex is that they are usually too light.
Otherwise, I like the pop..

Guys… we have an over 60 thread where we talk about this stuff all the time.

Currently playing senior flex shafts in my driver, fairway woods and hybrids. I am starting my fourth year with my G710s (fitted in September 2019 with regular flex shafts) and am starting to "shop" for my next set, which will also have senior flex shafts.

I recently put a Helium A-flex in my driver and will soon do so in my FWs. I also just got new ZX5 irons and CBX fullface2 wedges with SteelFiber i70cw A-flex. If they work, i don’t care how they’re labeled.

My issue with A flex is that they are usually too light.
Otherwise, I like the pop..
I played with Regular shafts for years and years. Only once, did I try a Stiff shaft (a buddy's driver) -- and hit a 10' high screamer that went only about 175 yards! :oops:

If my son-in-law or my older nephew tried to hit my Taylor Made Burner (Senior Shaft) on the range... They snap the clubhead straight off, with their powerful swing speed and 290-300 yard driving distance! o_O

I recently put a Helium A-flex in my driver and will soon do so in my FWs. I also just got new ZX5 irons and CBX fullface2 wedges with SteelFiber i70cw A-flex. If they work, i don’t care how they’re labeled.

I did well with the Helium 4F2 in a recent fitting in a Driver and a 3W. It was a good shaft for me.

Mid season I "should" be swinging a stiff, usually around 101-104, Last year I was clocked at 111-113 a few times when I went after it, but I usually dont swing full force.
I hit regulars.
On bad back days and especially in colder weather I am firmly entrenched in the R zone.....90-94 swing speed with the driver.
So I just bought a driver with a 50G shaft and a lower kick point for those bad arthritis days because when my back hurts, I'm not launching it well despite the adequate head speed to get it going. The hips get slow, with all its attendant issues. I turn into a sit to pee, OTT weenie. 245 is a cause for celebration. On bad back days, when I am not taking an OTT swipey swipe at it, often I thick I killed it, it goes right up the gut with a baby draw.......all of 238. I hope this new shaft and club helps with that.
Do yourself a favor and don't ever get old.......;)

Have eased my way into a sr shaft. It was an adjustment. But, it gets better with every season. I wonder if a "light" shaft would have been better and easier transition. The extra flex sr shaft takes getting used to.

Have eased my way into a sr shaft. It was an adjustment. But, it gets better with every season. I wonder if a "light" shaft would have been better and easier transition. The extra flex sr shaft takes getting used to.
My driver shaft is 40 grams, and fairway woods are 50. Fortunately, I didn't experience any trouble making the transition from R to A, or the lighter weight shafts. Kinda the opposite. Good luck with the new shaft.

I adjusted too, but then again, I had a few years away from golf, so my swing obviously wasn't what it used to be. Right now I am loving the new/used TaylorMade senior flex clubs!

As a test this past weekend, I decided to get all crazy with my 3-wood at the local range.... JUST ONE TIME...
Get tough. Get nasty. Swing for the fences. Try to hit 96mph CHS, even if I spin out of my shoes. :oops:
The result? No damage to the 3-wood, but I over-torqued the senior shaft, and bombed the golf ball way way out there, but with a massive duck hook left! :oops:
So, it immediately taught me to be nice, be polite, be a gentleman, with the senior flex clubs.

Back