Should every course have a sub-300 yard par 4?

Should every course have a sub-300 yard par 4?

• Yes

Votes: 53 58.2%
  • No

Votes: 38 41.8%

• Total voters
I really like the idea of it but it's still a no for me because of pace of play.

As others have mentioned, every man and his dog would think they can drive the green and the backups would be atrocious. Hell, a lot of the idiots wait for the green to clear when they're hitting their second on a 528 yard par 5, despite their drive going 220.

Kind of indifferent on this one. While they can be fun I usually am not getting there in 1 anyway so have to hit into it like any other par 4 albeit a little closer, definitely don't mind them though.

Ha what is sub 300? Not going to make a difference as I won’t reach it.

I love holes like this but I wouldn’t mandate that a course HAS to have one. Fun when they do though.

My home course has two par 4s in the 330-350 range. They make up for it by having two par 4s in the 480-500 range. I don’t make nearly as many birdies on the short ones as I do bogeys on the long ones. I still like the variety though. Courses should have character.

Most of the time I won’t even try to drive the green just because of pace. I’ll hit last to give myself an opportunity, but most of the time I’m laying up. There are a few holes I’ll wait as long as possible because there’s hardly any danger, but after waiting that long I’m not reaching it. The smarter thing for me is to have my two clubs and pick whichever one lets me hit sooner. So no, I don’t like the idea that every course would have one. In most cases it hurts the flow and I enjoy flowing rounds more than an eagle putt on a par 4.

It depends on the design of the hole, but I’m ok with one risk reward Par 4.

I dont think every course needs one, but they are fun. My local course has a ~280 yard par 4 that is dead straight with a bit of a backstop on the green. Never really had a problem with pace of play on this hole, but I do go out as early as possible with people who generally focus on pace of play. The range net is also along the right side so that helps contain wayward shots.

I voted yes but didn't consider the pace of play everyone is mentioning. It does cause an issue at times

No, it leads to bad decisions making.

I like them & think they add variety to a course much like an extremely reachable par 5.

disagree on that mountain hole. :LOL:
Just don't miss right. Short or left are fine. Also don't go long on approach shot. It's so satisfying though when you actually get one to run up one it or land one on that stops and doesn't go long.

Absolutely not. We have one and the holdup on the tee boxes is frustrating as hell with people who always think they can drive the green. It’s even worse when you play that side during league. Literally sit there for 25-30 minutes every single time from last putt on the previous hole to tee off on that hole. 5% drive the green, the rest shank it and time was wasted for everyone.

That’s not saying I don’t like them. I think they are super fun and don’t mind them from a course perspective. It all comes down to holding up the course though so I’d vote no

Course I played today had a drivable par for as the finishing hole.

View attachment copy_044DD75B-5D01-474C-BBFF-21BCA4C33DA1.mov

For reference this was the pace of play on a packed out course on the first 65° day of the year.
1708543617421.png

The pace of play concerns are not an actual thing. Which could be because it’s the last hold of the day.

Last edited:
I like ‘em, but I wouldn’t make it mandatory. Biggest reason not is pace of play. Even if they can’t hit it 230 with rollout on concrete, it seems everyone wants to wait for the green to clear for the chance to flex their muscles. Not unusual to see groups lined up three deep on a busy Sunday on holes like this.

Definitely. They are fun.

They are fun, but need to be very high risk/reward, IMO.

I'm a shortknocker, so I'm all in favor. The chances of me driving the green if it's 260 or longer are virtually zero, so I won't be waiting to tee off - I'll gladly go first and all you big hitters can hang back and wait if you don't want to club down for it.

One course around here has a drivable 244 par 4 from the forward tees. And it's a huge green. I've driven the green twice on that course. I think the edge of the green is more like 210 from the tees. I had a 100' ft uphill putt both times and four-putted. Honestly I would've rather used a wedge or hybrid than a putter on that one.

Yep! Why not?

while they are fun to 'go at' when a course has a sub 300 yard par 4 it normally creates even more pace issue, so I say no. Besides, I can't reach anything nearing 300 yds anymore so I'd be laying up anyway 🤷‍♂️

for some players, playing from the correct tee ground make that happen.

I'm distance challenged, so yes they are needed.

for some players, playing from the correct tee ground make that happen.
We played the forward tees (4940 yds) at my course yesterday for a change of pace, all 11 par 4s were sub-300.

It's fun to play driver and wedge or short iron into most of the greens, but it would be murder on my handicap if we did it regularly. Because of the CR/slope being so low, you have to shoot a pretty low score for a decent differential. I shot a 79, and it was a 16.1 differential. :oops: I would've had to shoot a 76-77 just to play to my handicap!

I see no reason. 300 yrds you're hitting 5 Iron and a 54 deg. Do you need to be closer unless you want to Drive it.

Back