Signing Incorrect Scorecard

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Have we reached a point with all of the technology that exists that signing an incorrect scorecard in golf should just go away? Why are tour players keeping their own score when the tournament does it for them anyway?

This seems like one of the places where if they wanted to start down the road of bifurcation, it would be the #1 candidate to start with. They're calling in rule officials for drops left and right, and have someone walking behind them keeping score, why is this a whole thing?

Have we reached a point with all of the technology that exists that signing an incorrect scorecard in golf should just go away? Why are tour players keeping their own score when the tournament does it for them anyway?
Yeah I think you might be on to something

Sent from my Mi 9 SE using Tapatalk

Definitely a miss - I don’t think the players need to do it anymore.

just get them one of these and we are all good anyway right?

• Haha
Reactions: JB
It's tradition, JB. Don't be ridiculous. :sneaky:

• Mind Blown
Reactions: JB
  • Admin
I'm not sure of the need as well. I can see keeping your score as a check to what the tour is recording for you and then matching it up in the tent, but the need for this to be solely on the player seem archaic.

One word ..... Tradition :unsure:

I think it goes back to the "integrity" of the game. Although, modern technology and protocols does make this tradition obsolete.

I think that rule should go away, just doesn't make sense to me especially with all the technology and media coverage for each event.

I think it goes back to the "integrity" of the game. Although, modern technology and protocols does make this tradition obsolete.

What integrity of the game though. Tradition? Sure. With that said they are calling in rulings at every chance. Up until recently they even allowed those at home to call in violations. They call violations based on HD and zoom cameras, none of this speaks to tradition.

Look at all the wasted paper if you had to redo scorecards. Maybe they can just go into the proshop and rip a third of the card up and give it to customers, that'll fix it.

What integrity of the game though. Tradition? Sure. With that said they are calling in rulings at every chance. Up until recently they even allowed those at home to call in violations. They call violations based on HD and zoom cameras, none of this speaks to tradition.
Asking for a ruling might be gamesmanship...trying to achieve the best possible outcome or it is I do not want to be further penalized, but it still is playing to the rules of the game. Now, with modern technology, the ability to dissect something or get a better look has dramatically increased. But, that's with everything. Technology makes everyone adapt. But, at the end of the round, if you have been as fair and honest with yourself and your play, you sign your name. No other sport really makes someone self-police themselves anymore. It wouldn't bother me at all if they stop it. It would just be one more antiquated rule removed.

Another antiquated tradition. The TV crew is keeping score anyways. Seems like it could go away and nobody would care.

I mean, I guess on tour it makes no difference. But outside of that its kind of everything when its competitive. Self policing is one of the beauties of the game. That doesn't need to happen so much on tour but it most definitely is happening everywhere else competitively.

Don't see it as necessary. Plenty of others keeping the score for them, the caddie could easily do it.

Seems like with as much oversight that exists in pro golf these days, even the formal amateur tournaments, this should ever happen.

It's more than tradition. It's the last line of defense guarding the slippery slope that leads to "everybody gets a trophy.":whistle::whistle::whistle:

Last edited:
TV broadcast and internet scoring is kept by volunteers who from what I have seen don't always know the rules and what is going on during the round. While they have devices to keep score the volunteers are generally older and struggle with the phones. The walking scorers input what they think is correct and it would be overridden by the score kept by the players.

yup, it probably should just go away

I agree that it should not be necessary any longer

Back