Single Most Important Stat Influencing Score

leftshot

Remember to smile
Reaction score
What stat do you think influences or correlates to scoring more than any other single stat? Share the stat and why you think it is the single most influential stat.

This should be fun and informative.

Usually GIR for me. Followed by putts.
If I hit 50% I'll be in the mid 70's
Doesn't happen as often as it used to 😢

Last edited:
for me personally its getting off the tee box.. Typically if im hitting my driver good, im usually doing good everywhere else.. My scores are most effected by my driver!!

Putts, in general. The ball has to actually go in the hole.

For me, it's putts per round. If I am sub 30, I will typically shoot in the 70s.

Another one that @Jman tracks, that I started tracking as well as distance of my first putt from the hole. Obviously, when my average first putt is closer to the hole, score is better.

distance of my first putt from the hole. Obviously, when my average first putt is closer to the hole, score is better.
We plays different games as I don’t find many GIRs. I’d almost be willing to bet if my first putt average is further from the hole there is an 80% chance that score beats my scoring average. I will be closer to the hole chipping on than hitting a green from 160.

That said, for someone with higher GIRs I really like that stat. Or similarly tracking total feet of putts made. I don’t think that one is the key to scoring but a good indicator of putting that round.

GIR for me. I usually have 1 or 2 blowup holes because I can't get to the green. A GIR with a 3 putt bogey would be better than the doubles or triples that kill my score right now.

GIR. I hit so few in regulation. If I could hit 50% in regulation regularly I would be golden

Putts, doesn't matter how pretty or efficiently you get it there if it's taking you 3 to get it into he hole.

Last edited:
Lag putts.

this may not be a 'stat' but when I evaluate my missed shots... "routine" was ignored or had a doubt cross my mind before my swing... when I score good... my confidence level is high from my driver to putter and everything else between.

While it isn't a stat I currently track, lately I have been thinking I need/want to be keeping track of scrambling more.
If I miss the GIR, then hopefully my Scrambling helps mitigate a blowup. Lately though, I can be 15 feet from the hole in 2 shots.... and then take 4 more shots to finish. Chip way past the hole, chip back again, a couple putts..... then you go from an easy par chance to a double bogey.

For me it’s probably driving accuracy. If I hit a normal length drive and I’m in the fairway I will make bogey at worst baring something crazy like a straight shank into water. My last round is pretty typical for me…86 with 3 doubles and a triple, all because of drives that put me in poor position or a penalty or ob.

I am going to suggest the stat is average proximity to the hole on approach shots. Here is my thinking.
  • GIR, which several have mentioned is a close cousin, but average proximity to the hole takes it to the next level. It's not just getting it on the green, but getting it close to the hole.
  • Even at the pro level proximity from the hole is HUGE for putting. 8 feet is the 50/50% distance for making a putt. So, whether you are a good putter or not, proximity to the hole has a huge impact on the number of putts per round.
  • If your ball striking is great on approach shots your ball striking on other shots is probably pretty sound. Conversely, if you can't get off the tee reasonably far and in the fairway, your proximity from the hole on approach shots isn't going to be very good.

I am going to suggest the stat is average proximity to the hole on approach shots. Here is my thinking.
  • GIR, which several have mentioned is a close cousin, but average proximity to the hole takes it to the next level. It's not just getting it on the green, but getting it close to the hole.
  • Even at the pro level proximity from the hole is HUGE for putting. 8 feet is the 50/50% distance for making a putt. So, whether you are a good putter or not, proximity to the hole has a huge impact on the number of putts per round.
  • If your ball striking is great on approach shots your ball striking on other shots is probably pretty sound. Conversely, if you can't get off the tee reasonably far and in the fairway, your proximity from the hole on approach shots isn't going to be very good.

I’ll agree with this. No golfer makes many putts over 20 feet often(other than Spieth back in 2015/16) so getting it close matters a lot. Driver, wedge, and putter are the 3 most important clubs.

I track my stats on most rounds.

For me, my lower rounds come from hitting more GIR, with the second indicator being # of putts.

FIR doesn’t impact my score much at all outside of spraying it OB.

Lately it has been driving horribly but more often then not it is probably GIR.

GIR. I rarely 3 putt, so when I'm on the green so the absolute worst outcome is bogey. Just wish I could convert a small percentage to birdies.

GIR is likely the most influential overall. For me it seems to be penalties.

Proximity to hole. It's the ultimate decider for me. My GIR can actually be too high. History and data analysis show that if it goes above a certain percentage my proximity and ultimately my scoring gets worse because I'm not being aggressive enough. Putting percentages can have streaks but in the long run don't change much from various distances so proximity and distance of that first one is what matters. A great drive and average wedge to 20 feet is less likely to be a birdie than an average drive and a wedge to 10'. Proximity to pin wins every time.

Back