skiing. unfortunately is not the most long term interest ...

Love snow skiing. Wish i got to do it more often

@Dawg 1 Are you UGA? Lived in Atl for 35 years. UGA is my second team by default, but I'm Ole Miss - Hotty Toddy - by birth and alma mater. Go Rebs! Go (GA) Dawgs!
Absolutely. Live in South Ga and been an dawg fan all my life.

Love to ski, but it's too expensive. Doesn't make sense to invest in the things that can make it more reasonable, like equipment or season passes, since we don't get that much snow anymore.

I plan on skiing and golfing well in to my 70s. Skiing can certainly be expensive if you don’t live near a ski area but golf can be very expensive if you join a private course that you live right next to.

Where I grew up in Wisconsin we had small ski areas nearby and a season pass was $135 when I graduated in 1983, about the same price as my annual golf membership to a semi-private course. During our long winters I would log over 100 days on the snow and about the same number of days on the golf course during the summer.

Nowadays, a season ski pass is about $500 locally or $1,100 for a nationwide pass that is good at dozens of top resorts. Much cheaper than many golf memberships but obviously there are the travel costs for those who don’t live near ski resort towns. I’ve taken golf trips to Phoenix the last few winters and the total cost per person is about the same as a ski trips. Lodging tends to be more for skiing but the per day costs can easily be less for skiers. I’ll get in about 15 ski days this year on my $1,100 pass but when I lived near the mountains in CA I averaged about 50 days with no lodging or travel costs.

I loved skiing back in my younger days. However, one time, while we were taking a break in a lodge, propping our ski boot clad feet up on a table covered with champagne bottles and trying to get comfortable, my Brother allowed as to how skiing was one of the most uncomfortable sports going!

Based on this , no it’s not lol

It's been years since I last went skiing. Should since I live in Switzerland, but the prices are crazy and want to wait till the little ones are more capable.

I quit downhill skiing about the same time I quit riding motorcycles on the street. Just had too many friends suffer permanent, life altering damage from those activities.

I love to ski. I haven’t done it much the last 5 years due to my son’s lacrosse schedule but I will be doing more this year. My daughter and I are going to Vail for a few days to visit some friends and I will ski a few more days around here.

If you don’t have to get on a plane it isn’t that much more expensive than golf. Fortunately we have a free place to stay at Vail but buying tickets ahead makes it $100 a day and the equipment is about equal with a full bag of golf clubs. When I went to Pinehurst with my son golf was $165-285 a round

Hopefully I will get 10-15 days in this year.

I’ve downhill skied a few times. Too much work. But when you catch a gentle slope and your coordination is on point, it’s pretty exhilarating…

I was always jealous of the 6-10 yr olds zipping around as if they were born on skis…. “Look ma-no hands!” 😒😆

They both have their place. Well it’s snowboarding for me. Never skied before. 21 days so far this year. 3 more after this weekend. And still played 9 holes last wed. Been a tough start in VT but it’s coming. Scored the early pow before everyone got on the mountain Sunday and a great sunrise run this am.

GX013855_V2F_2024-01-07_06-51-27_633.jpegGX013860_V2F_2024-01-12_07-26-45_140.jpeg

I quit downhill skiing about the same time I quit riding motorcycles on the street. Just had too many friends suffer permanent, life altering damage from those activities.

I picked it up for a while, probably a bit too late in life. I had one really terrible fall , got up and was not injured at all....Took it as a sign, walked off the hill , lit my skis on fire and said never again.

We just left Bozeman after a week long ski trip at Big Sky. It was our first family ski trip since we sold our Lake Tahoe condo in 2018 and we had so much fun we vowed to take at least one family ski trip each year. We might even wind up doing a ski lease or buying a condo in the Big Sky area in the near future.

Here’s a photo with my oldest daughter and son from yesterday.
202821A9-D22C-4337-8BD8-9A1AD4B16865.jpeg

I have only done this once, but skiing in the morning and playing golf in the afternoon is the holy grail for me.
I’ve snow skied at Squaw Valley and boated on the same day a couple of times on the 4th of July holiday in Lake Tahoe. :)

My son and I are currently doing a Jackson Hole trip. 8 days and so far we have had Pow and sun. Looks like another storm is coming this weekend. He has not been here since he was 5, now he’s 14. He’s been dropping stuff I would have never imagined.
GX013882_V2F_2024-03-29_11-13-55_216.jpegFullSizeRender.jpeg

I am with you @1860VS ! Had knee repl last year and the rehab has been too hard and prolonged. I love skiing, BUT ... the resorts in the US have gotten way too crowed and there are too many crazies out there who dont give a SH!T if they put you in the hospital. It's all about them and the rest of the mountain better get out of the way. One of my best friends who I ski with in Utah is recovering from 7 fractured ribs, punctured lung, broken clavical (req metal plate surg). Got taken out FROM BEHIND by a dangerous skier. My friend is a very accomplished, lifelong skier who takes very predicable lines/turns, but what can you do when you are downhill from an idiot on weekend bindge/adrenaline rush? The mega collectives and companies like Vail are gobbling up ski reorts just so they can put way too many skiers/boarders on the mountain and then they wont talk about all of the collisions, injuries etc. Just sign your waiver and go "shred some pow man". These resorts know they have a huge problem with certain age groups, but they are in it to make money. Which is why they keep dumping money into building, expanding and promoting terrain parks. Ive been through the wars with this crap man and it's getting really hard to ignore the obvious negligence that is going on in the industry. As long as you sign your waiver, it's really hard to get kicked off of the mountain. Even when you have a history of dangerous skiing. This article that came out recently is spot on.

Last edited:
Back