SmithWorks Extreme Range 3.0 and Elite 3.0 Wedges Review

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Ever since I took up golf, there is one shot that I have been enamored with, the wedge shot that just sticks like Velcro. There is no denying that at times I have chased it, and I don’t think I am alone in that camp. Admittedly, as I have improved and learned more about wedges, I don’t seek it out as much because it now becomes too much at times. However, that certainly doesn’t take away from just how fun it is to see. Introducing SmithWorks Extreme Range 3.0 and Elite 3.0 wedges.

Continue reading...

Fun read. Visually, the Xs in between grooves seems a bit distracting. And on the non-conforming, I am wondering about the impact of debris getting in there and being tougher to keep clean. Sounds like the conforming for full swings and non-conforming for around the greens would be fun to try. I do play a lot of club events so non-conforming aspect would limit its use for me.

This was very interesting - well done @Jman ! I've had unexpected things occur like that and it can make you question everything except the club at first. Kudos for sticking with it and verifying your results.

In terms of looks, I'm liking everything until the face shows up. Just not a huge fan of such an unusual looking groove pattern, but the shape is nice. Finishes are spectacular.

I was surprised, as I know you were, to see the difference in spin once you started getting into longer swings. Great job at figuring out what was going on. I think you are right that once you get some grass between the ball and the face that things may look different.

In terms of spin in general (let's take the Elite for example), is that a typical amount of spin for you to see? I guess I expected to see even a bit more than 7k/8k on those 80 yard shots.

Started out how I expected. But then changed. I expected the full swings to be more similar and flatten out as speed increased..

Man, at first glance, these definitely look like a TaylorMafde wedge.

Great read. I was close on estimates of spin on short shots but way off on full shots. Once you explain it I can see the reasoning. Guessing this was a fun experiment. Love the copper

• Staff
Fun read. Visually, the Xs in between grooves seems a bit distracting. And on the non-conforming, I am wondering about the impact of debris getting in there and being tougher to keep clean. Sounds like the conforming for full swings and non-conforming for around the greens would be fun to try. I do play a lot of club events so non-conforming aspect would limit its use for me.
The X’s are large enough a brush or towel takes care of cleaning them just like standard grooves.

I've seen this on my instagram feed for a while and my main question was are they conforming or not, as it's not clearly laid out on their site or the ads. So thanks for clearing that up.

@Jman - This was one of the more interesting things I have read in recent memory.

I will admit I was shocked to see the results on more full swings regarding spin, but your explanation makes sense.

Thanks for doing this testing - I will say those 'Xs' IN the face look wild.

@Jman Nice Write up.
Think you will put either one in the bag for a while?
Be fun to take a flyer on the Extreme Range 3.0 for Winter work at the Sim or a Dome.

Tried to read on my phone this morning and there was too much there to take in so waited till I got into the office. First great write up as usual, and applaud the fact that you re-recorded data after seeing unexpected results- Kudos for that.

I have to say that the finishes in the close up pics looks really well done, and when first reading about the X's between the grooves I thought it would be too busy, but I don't really think it is in the photographs. I like the fact that they are giving us more options, even if they are ones that are non-conforming. As someone who loves seeing a ball one hop stop, or zip back a little bit but not really being able to do it on command, this sounds like a bit of fun to be had.

@Jman Nice Write up.
Think you will put either one in the bag for a while?
Be fun to take a flyer on the Extreme Range 3.0 for Winter work at the Sim or a Dome.
Not as a gamer, but one of the main reasons is they’re not the type of grinds I prefer.

The spin differences wouldn’t dissuade you? Do you get to practice pitches and chips in the dome?

Not as a gamer, but one of the main reasons is they’re not the type of grinds I prefer.

The spin differences wouldn’t dissuade you? Do you get to practice pitches and chips in the dome?
My dome is only 70 yards and most times, I work on hitting baskets 20/40/60 yard range.

Started out how I expected. But then changed. I expected the full swings to be more similar and flatten out as speed increased..
I agree, that’s what I expected, but it didn’t work out that way over hundreds of shots and re-testing.

I do believe I cracked the code of why what was expected, wasn’t seen though.

I"m actually shocked at some of the results. First I'm suprised it was such a large difference in on the shorter shots. I am stunned by the full swing results with the conforming wedge spinning more. I never dreamed that would be the case.

I"m actually shocked at some of the results. First I'm suprised it was such a large difference in on the shorter shots. I am stunned by the full swing results with the conforming wedge spinning more. I never dreamed that would be the case.
You're not alone. But, I think its a GREAT case study of how much friction matters in relation to activating the grooves as the ball moves up the face, where the added cast X’s simply help take an initial bite with no elongsted friction time.

It also makes one realize that companies have surpassed the groove rule by innovating. So the USGA looks foolish again haha

I agree, that’s what I expected, but it didn’t work out that way over hundreds of shots and re-testing.

I do believe I cracked the code of why what was expected, wasn’t seen though.
I wonder if that would change outside? Or with moister?

this was a real cool review and I like that you did it again because of how different the results were from what you expected. And also, another reminder about how annoying the rule changes for the .5% that impact the 99.5%. Drives me nuts lol

I wonder if that would change outside? Or with moister?
When debris was involved the gap in touch shots got larger while things equalized in longer swings, not entirely, but close enough. Obviously the thicker the rough the better the funneling form the Extreme, but there’s still in my opinion a friction factor it doesn’t overcome.

I spent a LONG time banging my head against the wall on this one and re-testing both the results and my hypothesis. I’m guessing, and it’s solely a guess on my end, that perhaps the grooves aren’t what’s non-conforming, but instead it’s simply the cast X’s. There’s no true clarity there other than they will not submit the Extreme to the governing bodies.

this was a real cool review and I like that you did it again because of how different the results were from what you expected. And also, another reminder about how annoying the rule changes for the .5% that impact the 99.5%. Drives me nuts lol
I do think the USGA bungled that ruling still, but only because companies innovated and we are now seeing wedges with as much if not more spin than the non-conforming grooves thanks to the micro grooves and textures that add so much friction.

This was very interesting - well done @Jman ! I've had unexpected things occur like that and it can make you question everything except the club at first. Kudos for sticking with it and verifying your results.

In terms of looks, I'm liking everything until the face shows up. Just not a huge fan of such an unusual looking groove pattern, but the shape is nice. Finishes are spectacular.

I was surprised, as I know you were, to see the difference in spin once you started getting into longer swings. Great job at figuring out what was going on. I think you are right that once you get some grass between the ball and the face that things may look different.

In terms of spin in general (let's take the Elite for example), is that a typical amount of spin for you to see? I guess I expected to see even a bit more than 7k/8k on those 80 yard shots.
Thank you Hawk!

It’s where I usually sit indoors, though I see the same numbers out of grooves I’ve used for a while on my gamers. But a lot of that too is me now trying to not engage too much spin, I just want a shot that stops and doesn’t rip back on those distances. It’s a brave new world for me hahaha

When debris was involved the gap in touch shots got larger while things equalized in longer swings, not entirely, but close enough. Obviously the thicker the rough the better the funneling form the Extreme, but there’s still in my opinion a friction factor it doesn’t overcome.

I spent a LONG time banging my head against the wall on this one and re-testing both the results and my hypothesis. I’m guessing, and it’s solely a guess on my end, that perhaps the grooves aren’t what’s non-conforming, but instead it’s simply the cast X’s. There’s no true clarity there other than they will not submit the Extreme to the governing bodies.
I would love to find an old Jaws mackdaddy wedge with fresh grooves and compare to a new wedge..

The face is WILD looking. The data is very interesting to say the least, like you I was not expecting those results for spin on full shots based on the shorter ones. Pretty cool stuff here.

I also agree with you from the photos I initially went to TM wedges in my mind but these do look pretty good, other than the face. I'm not sure I could get past that or not.

Great review @Jman that cast x patten is wild. Also interesting to see what happens on full swings.

Any chance you’d have a few nitros laying around to test for science? 😂🤣

Back