Sneak peak SC Newport Notchback Black (pics)?

drl828

Reaction score
Handicap
Pizza
Not sure if I should post this, but I got an opportunity to roll a few out with the new SC Newport 2 and the Notchback. I'm used to my Odyssey D.A.R.T which I'm a wizard with, but it looks silly and I want a blade. So, I've been testing the Anser and the Method. I was draining 10-15fters with the Ping no problem after getting acclimated to the feel.

But, I took a chance and asked if they had the new line in and if so, could I? I could.

===
IMG_0496.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

===

I could only grab a quick few picks of the Notchback, which I preferred to the Newport 2. Available tomorrow, the 2.6s are going to be drop shipped on the 7th, I was told.

In putting together a bag (which I'm doing now), I think I'd take the Anser, though the new finish to the SCs are stunning. Honestly, I have every desire in the world to get the SC - my first one (special feeling in a boy's life, you know)...But, I'd like to take some more time than I was able to to really get a feel. If I can justify the purchase at that point, I'll readily fall head over heels.

Anyway, I know there are tons of pics of this, but I'm new here so I'd figure I'd contribute something off the bat - I hope it's not a repost or anything.

(Impressions: Face is hot, but man, what feedback - I was having a bit of a problem keeping the blade under control, I have a tendency to open the face with both SCs and the Method, though not so much with the Anser - with the gigantic D.A.R.T I have, it's hard to move things around in the takeaway and it's weighted for players like me, but I know it's a skill I need to improve and I'm always of the opinion to get it right the first time, buy more than you may need so you have room to grow, rather than trying incremental improvements and all the headaches and wasted money that goes along with that)

Ok, that was my first post about a golf club - I'm not great at discussing hardware, but I'm sure I'll get better along the way since I'm a junkie who can satisfy his habit...Oy!

The one thing that was really weak, and I'm not sure if this is a standard thing, but to replace the weights on the sole, you have to send it back to Titleist. I think I'd have better feel if it wasn't weighted symmetrically.

I like that Scotty is finally releasing the black finish to the public. I could definitely roll one of these.

The one thing that was really weak, and I'm not sure if this is a standard thing, but to replace the weights on the sole, you have to send it back to Titleist. I think I'd have better feel if it wasn't weighted symmetrically.
Thanks for the pics, wow, that is one sweet putter.

Titleist still think it's 1996, huh?

Holy crap I want this.

I assume thats a deep mill, looks awesome. I think they did an awesome job with the colours and I am really curious to see the variation in feel between the two milling styles out in the Newport lines right now.

Tapatalking from my iPhone

you can actually buy the tool on the custom shops website along with other weights

A) I'm glad I can contribute right off the bat.
B) The club is STUNNING in person. Pics don't do it justice.
C) The quality is there - I don't see this bronzing or fading, though I'm not an expert on these matters. The difference in feel between some black clubs and these putters (the literal feel of the finish) is noticeable.
D) Since I'm waiting a couple days to try out the 2.6, which is probably Monday for most, maybe Sunday for big box stores, I'll have probably figured out an excuse to purchase one of these despite my current pref for the Anser.

you can actually buy the tool on the custom shops website along with other weights

This is BS (not your post, that you have to buy it). I've got 910d2 driver and fairway, I've had other adjustable clubs - they all come with the tool and are at least as expensive as these putters. In this day and age, we should be allowed to screw up our equipment as we see fit, at MSRP.

Price of these things on the Bay isn't too bad...about $500

This is BS (not your post, that you have to buy it). I've got 910d2 driver and fairway, I've had other adjustable clubs - they all come with the tool and are at least as expensive as these putters. In this day and age, we should be allowed to screw up our equipment as we see fit, at MSRP.

Actually it is kind of BS the tool is $42 on the website but you have to send in the putter to get new weights (doesnt make sense) then they send you the putter with new weight and old weights back. They ought to just sell them separately more people would purchase them

Actually it is kind of BS the tool is $42 on the website but you have to send in the putter to get new weights (doesnt make sense) then they send you the putter with new weight and old weights back. They ought to just sell them separately more people would purchase them

Do the Valentine 1 thing - serial numbers or receipts to verify ownership/possession of the club. Or better yet, don't be lame and make it user changeable.

$500 - I didn't even ask what the MSRP is. That's crazy talk (though I'm still gonna keep it on hold, just in case!).

It is, indeed, a stunning putter. I will just leave it at that.

awesome looking stick

hahahahah that is truly laughable.

$500.

I lied, apparently the 500 is for the 1st of 500 ones. Looks like they're 200-300 in stores for the regular ones.

hahahahah that is truly laughable.

$500.

I hope that's just a premium price on ebay - if I recall, they were listed around $350 on the sticker. I really didn't do a great job with photos (I would have loved to take a couple more - at address, the tag, etc) - I didn't want to get the kid in trouble who brought a giant flippin' box of SC putters out from the back room to play with. (The mallets are silly looking, but better than the competition, frankly [I've reconsidered, they're actually quite handsome if you don't want to use a blade style putter - I believe this is the GoLo line.]).

I'll make a phone call and find out the price and report back.

Last edited:
I'd be shocked if these were any different in pricing than most of their current lines..

I'd definitely agree that 500 would be silly, but I doubt they'd ever take it that far.

Even at $350 US, that mean's they'll push it to $380-$400 here. That's still laughable IMO for a putter off the rack.

If they keep it at the $350 they normally go here, that's not terrible, but anything over that is just crazy.

I can confirm, price for the Newport 2 and the Notchback are both 349.99 + tax.

Even at $350 US, that mean's they'll push it to $380-$400 here. That's still laughable IMO for a putter off the rack.

If they keep it at the $350 they normally go here, that's not terrible, but anything over that is just crazy.

I guess it just depends what you're comfortable with.. Drivers are 500+ now.. Is that crazy?

I guess it just depends what you're comfortable with.. Drivers are 500+ now.. Is that crazy?

I don't want to turn this into one of those threads again, but I just think when you can get custom putters in the $400 range, why buy one off the rack?

I don't want to turn this into one of those threads again, but I just think when you can get custom putters in the $400 range, why buy one off the rack?

I can fully appreciate what you're saying, but again the same logic can be placed on folks who walk into their nearest golf shop and drop 500 bucks on the latest stock driver without even a hint of fitting to a shaft or flex etc..

I think the prestige of SC is well beyond what it probably should be considering the quality that is out there in the custom putter market, but if the putters are selling, I really don't have an issue with their price point.

Back