subvet

I never finish anyth
Reaction score
Handicap
11-ish
I heard an interesting piece on the car radio this morning on my way to the golf course. Speed Golf, and an upcoming tournament on it. Players hit and then run to their shot. The record and best score is a 65 for 18 holes, in a 44 minute round. Pretty astounding in my opinion.

I thought it was an interesting idea but personally, it's not for me because, #1: I don't enjoy running as exercize #2: I golf to relax so i have little desire to get it over with quickly because I relish the time on the course and almost always wish I could play more when I finish 18.

The fella they interviewed says he plays better because he doesnt think about his shots in a traditional sense. It's a more "reactive" game. I suppose. Whatever floats your boat I guess. :act-up:

Link to an older WSJ article
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122610474805110179.html

Sorry if this is posted somewhere else. I did a quick search and didn't find anything on it.

Interesting idea here...All this said, I play better when I play fast... Not to the point of rushing, but not waiting on playing partners or other groups. My record round was a 76 and I shot that in 1hr and 46 minutes

Dan

Sent via Tapatalk on my Samsung galaxy s3

A tourney was held at Bandon over the weekend. I have to say this isn't for me. I want to enjoy the game not just rush through it as fast as possible.

You lost when it said "run to your next shot"....as many times as I hit it??

I could really enjoy speed golf I think. I just don't know where in the world you could practice it unless you get the first tee time. I'm not really a morning person so thats not going to happen.

My buddy is one of the best in the world at speed golf. He has made it a science. He plays better when running then when in a cart. Plus he is one of he best teaching pros I have ever been around

There was a guy on Big Break a few seasons ago that would do this. He would play 9 or 18 on his lunch break!

I'm with the OP on this one. I ain't running to get my golf over with. I also hate running. Very interesting concept for those that like running though!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Not for me! I have a good friend that I golf with early mornings in the summer. We get in 18 in 2 hours but we don't run--we use a cart. We don't rush but play at a good pace. That is as close to speed golf as I would get/

It's not about finishing fast. It's about combining two passions, running and golf. The focus between shots is incredible.

I enjoy playing briskly, but I won't run to my next shot. My friend and I play a round in about 2 1/2-3 hours. That's as fast as I want to play.

I dunno about this. To each his own I guess. Its really now a different sport or at least totaly different form of golf if ya ask me. I can certainly understand too much thinking can screw ya up but there are ways to cut that down (as mentioned in article) simply by doing less prior to addressing and doing less at address before striking the ball.

I know I wouldnt want to play that sport. I like to absorb the fact I am out on the course trying to enjoy my golf hours vs being at work or home doing chores or whatever. I would never be looking to rush away the round so fast that I couldnt take it all in. Besides (like many high cappers) I dont golf good enough consistantly enough for it to work. They say for "experienced golfers" but should really state its for "experienced and consistantly good golfers" or " low cappers"

I've had to rush through shots plenty times due to inconsistant play (on blow-up holes) so that i will not hold up my group. Believe me, for a high capper when you quickly rush to the ball and quickly swing without much anything going on in your head at all it is bad way more often than good.

Did ya ever get to a course as a single walk-on and they want to put you out there right away cause a threesome is on the tee? Rush to the car, throw your cleats on, set up your crap, and rush to the tee, then tee off like a crazy maniac while the others waited?? Screw up the tee shot, now ya rush even more to get your ball out the tree line and etc... you get the picture. Now it takes ya 4 friggin holes of golf before you even calm down enough to start making good strikes.

Nothing against it at all but not for me, No thanks!

It's not about finishing fast. It's about combining two passions, running and golf. The focus between shots is incredible.

^^^^ this. yeah, that's what the spot on the radio was about. The guy is/was a golf coach or instructor at an OR. University and avid runner and was looking for a way to work both of his passions into his life and came up with Speed Golf. He's taken "ready golf" to a couple of levels higher than anyone could imagine. :act-up: No practice swings, and he scrutinizes his line and formulates his shot on the run...says it eliminates any 2nd-guessing there might be and results in a better round. Not for everyone though.

Last edited:
I love the idea and would love to try it, but I doubt I'd ever do it more than once or twice.

Someone need to link the video of the guy doing bandon in a record time with a record score. It was awesome to watch.

I listened to a story about the world speed golf championship on NPR yesterday (yes, I an a NPR nerd). The attached video is great too. Cannot believe he shot a 65 in about 44 minutes in 2005.... Wow! Also cool that they will be showing this year's championship during the masters.

Anyone try this?

http://www.npr.org/2012/10/21/163331953/on-your-mark-ready-set-golf

There's a few (less than a handful) of people who were doing this locally this season, mainly first off in the morning. More power to them, if I tried this I'd also be combining my passion for massive heart attacks.

I listened to a story about the world speed golf championship on NPR yesterday (yes, I an a NPR nerd). The attached video is great too. Cannot believe he shot a 65 in about 44 minutes in 2005.... Wow! Also cool that they will be showing this year's championship during the masters.

Anyone try this?

http://www.npr.org/2012/10/21/163331953/on-your-mark-ready-set-golf

video=youtube;zQ43miMu0lw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ43miMu0lw&sns=em[/video

Enjoyed the vid interlooper, I will have to leave that type of golf to you whippersnappers.

That was the video I was looking for. It said the doped championships were oct 20-21.. Wonder I that time/record was broken?

HOLY SCHMIDT! Dude is incredible. Shot -4 at Bandon in an hour! That's amazing. Looked like he didn't mishit one shot!

Chris is a friend who I have played with a few times-at a regular pace. Geez-it takes me 45 minutes to put on my shoes and sunscreen. Chris teaches at Pumpkin Ridge and has a book out-his thesis is that you play better golf if you played faster and had less thoughts running through your head. He had the world record at one time (not sure if he still does) by shooting a 65 in 44 minutes. Speed golf or regualr golf-Chris can play-good guy too.

He didn't even take out the pin. Speed golf is worse for golf than Bubba Watson is.

That video was awesome! I used to play a lot of disc golf and people speed golf all the time in that sport. I played professionally for a while and could post sub par rounds on the run but cant imagine breaking 90 with a golf club. I also was surprised to see that he used a bag, for what ever reason I envisioned a few balls in pocket and three clubs in hand.

Anyone know what's in the bag? Seems like a driver, a couple irons, and a putter. Interesting concept, but to quote Willy Wonka "If the good lord had intended for us to walk, then why did he invent roller skates?" I'll stick to the cart thanks!

on the NPR piece I heard, he says he carries 6 clubs

if this were played in suped up golf carts i would be in. running that far is not on my things to do list anymore lol. would love to watch this tho. i think it would be very entertaining.

Back