Srixon Q-Star Golf Balls

After reading all the comments about this ball, I am going to have to pick some up next time I am in Denver and give them a whirl.

I had another range session with these yesterday at the chipping green. I am learning the greenside nature of these balls more and more and I am more and more happy with what I see! I have been able to make these things hit and roll out on shorter chips with my 56º and I have also been able to make them land softly and have very little rollout with my 60º. I think it is cool that I can generate a good bit of spin if I want to and also to be able to have rollout if I want to. I know that most of the better players can do with with a tour level ball, but I am not that good yet and I tend to generate too much spin on all shots with the Penta. I still like the Penta better off the driver, but the greenside characteristics of the Q-Star far outweigh the shortcomings off the driver as of right now.

Agree with the greenside nature of the ball. Compared to the e6s Im able to control this ball a lot more. Stops well on higher flops/pitches and runs as I envision it on bump and runs.

I am going to give them a shot once I use up the Penta's and B330rx's I have already stocked up on.

Hit it a few times today and wasn't really a ball for me. Probably didn't hit it enough to get a real good feel for it but it felt like a distance ball to me. Was long but not much spin. More durable then most for the few holes i played it. Again i didn't hit it but for a few holes so I'm not really a good one to go of off but my initial thought would be a great ball for someone looking for durability and length mixed with a one/two hop stop ball. I like more spinny balls so it just wasn't for me but it felt good the holes i played it. I did notice it was hot off the putter face(unless i was off on speed all day but don't think so)

I usually play the e6 in the winter. I might have to try these this winter. They sound pretty good.

I posted this in one of my threads but it applies here so I am pasting again.

FYI - I was just a bridgestone ball fitting, I came upon it by accident, I had no idea they were gonna be there but I pulled up, saw it, and was like - No Way!!! It was cool but at the same time I didn't have my clubs and didn't have time to go get them. I wish I would have taken others advice and looked at the schedule but anyway wierd coincidence.

So Latley, I have been thinking about playing the new Q-stars, so I decided to buy some and test them. After hitting the 5 shots with the Q-star they recommended I try the E6. I hit 5 shots with that and that was it; there were other people waiting.

RESULTS:
So the E6 reduced backspin by 500rpms, side-spin 150rpms, and E6 was almost 20yds longer. Now, I have to be honest, I don't know how much faith I have in it because...
A) I wasn't warmed up - at all. I only took 5 practice swings and I am not a very loose person, it generally takes me a few holes to get loose and rythmic
B) I was using their equipment. I don't even know what driver it was but the face looked pretty closed. After my quick practice swings, they began recording the Q-star was first.
C) My SS and ball speed was faster by 3-4mph with the E6 because I think I was getting looser.

So not really sure what to make of it if anything. I really don't place any value in the distance because I wasn't warmed up and it does take me a while. Whether or not Sidespin was a factor, I have no idea. As for the Side and back spin reduction, I assume they are valid as the other variables are constant.

I guess if anything this confirms my frustration and confusion when trying to pick a golf ball. It appears that there is no compromise for me when it comes to balls. It's either Spinny or Not and I have to accept the pros and cons of each trait. You just cant get long, straight, and spinny, regardless of what they say.

Spinny Balls = Shorter Distance, Exaggerated curvature, More Bite and hold on the greems
Not Spinny Balls = Longer Distance, Less Curvacture, Less Bite and hold on the Greens

If this is truly the case, and the more research i do it appears it is, How do you choose when you need both Distance and Spin?

And I do NEED both. My driver distance is like 220 so getting 10-20 more yds is the difference of me hitting mid irons vs long irons/hybrids. And I need spin to make more GIRs which I think is they key to scoring.

I played these again yesterday on a course with some firm greens. I expected to have trouble holding the greens but that wasn't the case. Full wedge shots were one hop and stop, instead of the little bit of back up I got on my regular course. Still pretty good performance. There was a little more release on the mid and long irons but that was to be expected. Still hitting it straight and distance is good. So far, I can't complain.

jwalker, I know how you feel trying to find a ball. For me the Trispeed and Q Star have been the only two that helped straighten my drives and had decent spin, and not lose distance. Those were the best compromise for me. I've played a lot of different golf balls trying to find one that I really liked, but I did have a lot of fun testing them out.

Hate to be a downer here but I went to play 9 this morning. Only got 2 holes in before getting rained out. I hit the E6 and Q-star. With only 4 drives to compare, the E6 did in fact prove to be about 20yds longer off the tee. I missed both greens and noticed a tad more bite with the Q-star.

I think what I am going to have to do is accept the fact that I need to play distance balls as I cannot afford to lose any distance off the tee. I am sick of hitting hyrbid and wood approaches. Then, around the greens, I will have to use higher trajectory and use more LWs to land more softly and hold more greens. Either that or become very good at hitting bump and runs. That's the best strategy I can think of. It really sucks becuase I like spinny and softer balls but I just cant afford to lose distance.

Also, now that I know I need less spinny balls, I assume that less spin means more distance so does anyone know if there any longer balls than the E6?

This isn't really the thread to discuss your ball fitting issues. Copy your post over to your other thread and we can discuss.

oops, sorry

I am thinking that the Qstar has a bit too much spin off the tee for me. For everything else it's just fine but it feels a bit crazy off the tee and launching higher than prefer. Going to play it Sunday and switch back and forth from the B330-rx/E6 (whichever I grab outta the bag).

I picked up a box of the Q-Star's last night on impulse and will likely put them into play the next time I go out. It will be interesting to see if they knock the e6 out of my bag. I really liked playing my free sample of Penta TP's but they are out of the range I'm willing to spend on golf balls at this point in my game.

I picked up a box of the Q-Star's last night on impulse and will likely put them into play the next time I go out. It will be interesting to see if they knock the e6 out of my bag. I really liked playing my free sample of Penta TP's but they are out of the range I'm willing to spend on golf balls at this point in my game.

I'm going to assume the Qstar will knock out the e6 from your bag. It'll be longer and stop much better on greens.

I am thinking that the Qstar has a bit too much spin off the tee for me. For everything else it's just fine but it feels a bit crazy off the tee and launching higher than prefer. Going to play it Sunday and switch back and forth from the B330-rx/E6 (whichever I grab outta the bag).

Too much spin off the tee - as in it's ballooning, or just launching higher? I'm currently gaming the Trispeed Tours and it launches high, with the occasional balloon. So I was looking at this ball to bring that down a bit. With a swing speed of 107, I'm not sure what ball I need to be playing. (I'm sure it's definitely the Indian and not the arrow.)

If I had to bet they will knock the e6 right out of your bag.

They feel good, they have some spin, but for me, I didnt see enough distance off the tee. Granted I only played 2 holes, so can't really judge them on that alone.

They feel good, they have some spin, but for me, I didnt see enough distance off the tee. Granted I only played 2 holes, so can't really judge them on that alone.

Enough distance compared to what?

I'm surprised. I really haven't seen any loss in distance.
I had 2 really nice drives my last round - one was about 270-280 but the landing area was downhill and the other was right around 260 on a level fairway.
Most of the others were wayward but of no fault of the balls.

I'm surprised. I really haven't seen any loss in distance.
I had 2 really nice drives my last round - one was about 270-280 but the landing area was downhill and the other was right around 260 on a level fairway.
Most of the others were wayward but of no fault of the balls.

This is exactly what I have been seeing which is why I asked.

Enough distance compared to what?

Sorry I played 2 holes with the Qstar and the E6. Not nealry enough to make a definitive call but so far, that's my experience.

Too much spin off the tee - as in it's ballooning, or just launching higher? I'm currently gaming the Trispeed Tours and it launches high, with the occasional balloon. So I was looking at this ball to bring that down a bit. With a swing speed of 107, I'm not sure what ball I need to be playing. (I'm sure it's definitely the Indian and not the arrow.)

the ball tends to get a bit higher & gets to the peak faster than my E6. It wouldn't be a bad thing if the ball didn't drop as fast either. I prefer more of line drives that roll. My SS is 100 but I don't get great compression or impact (whatever you call it) A friend of mine has the same SS but easily carries it 20yds more.

the ball tends to get a bit higher & gets to the peak faster than my E6. It wouldn't be a bad thing if the ball didn't drop as fast either. I prefer more of line drives that roll. My SS is 100 but I don't get great compression or impact (whatever you call it) A friend of mine has the same SS but easily carries it 20yds more.

I'm with you, I would rather have the line drives. Often times my ball rockets high and drops fast, and I know I'm losing distance because of it. I may need to get my swing checked out. I might be overdoing it with the hands or letting the driver pass my hands to much. Oh, the joys!! :banghead:

Sup! Man the q star blew me away today, I couldn't believe they were $24 balls! I usually play pentas but for the price of these it really makes me want to do a switch once my pentas run out! Off the tee definately e6sh it seems to kill a slice by a few yards, when you get it good they will fly... and in my game the truth is 300 or 270 ill take streight over an uncontrolled rocket of a shot. I tried a few different shots below tree lines (not by choice) and the ball is very workable. Irons got very good control a good feel from the face, I like my solid shots to feel more on the softer side and these feel very sound off the irons but with the controlled feel of a hi end ball. 100yds and in, absolutely awesome, I hit multiple greens where I either saw the ball stop on a dime, back spin a foot, and some depending on the shot roll a foot after the bounce. The ball like a lot of folks say is comparable to the e6 or e5, I havent played the e5 but have played the e6, the e6 on the same approach shots would have rolled out at least 2ft. Definately like an e6 with porche brakes! I am sold Srixon did their job on this one! Have fun...!

Gonna pit the Q-STAR against the Z-STAR tomorrow to see which I prefer for my all around game. I know I'll lose spin around the greens with the Q but that isn't all that makes a ball as spin sometimes saves my @$$ and sometimes kicks it. Maybe a happy median will work perfectly for me. I'd be happy if I could save some $$$ by gaming the Q. We'll see.

Back