Srixon Q-Star Golf Balls

Marc I haven't forgot you, pga was packed with the r11 launch so launch monitor time wasn't available. I get the #'s ASAP hombre

--
tapatalk

I'm wondering how the QStar performs for those of you with higher swing-speeds? Any negatives?

I typically swing 110-115 mph but have had a problem with direction this season. Equal parts hooks, slices, pushes and pulls. Maddening. Way more good than bad but I'd like to minimize the bad. I know the ball's not the culprit but anything that may dull the effects of a not-so-good swing would be fantastic.

For reference, I presently play the B330. The Penta ballooned on me a bit off the tee but where I guess I'm a weird fit, the Wilson Zip and it's extremely low compression was a bomber with no ill effects (considering going back to it, actually).

I'm quoting myself here and answering my own question as I grabbed a dozen Q-Stars and hit the course with 'em. Benign conditions, nice day. The Q-Star is a bit shorter off the tee for me, maybe 10 yards on average. The B330 I've been playing is the longest I've played. When I compress that ball, it takes off like a rocket.

My driver swing is still off as I was pushing and pulling a bit all day but no hooks or slices. Surprising really because on at least two swings where I came out of it, I expected to see a horrible banana. Nope, just a straight push. So even with the driver swing on the blink, I'd still have to say that the ball helps me plenty wrt to side-spin.

The ball's also shorter off the irons for me, but less so, maybe a loss of 5-7 yards. More with the longer irons, less with the shorter irons and wedges. It was an easy adjustment though. Ballflight is a bit higher than the B330 but not significantly and no ballooning at all, even with driver. Spin into the greens was similar as far as I could tell and it rolled very nicely off the putter.

Where the ball has impressed me most is with its feel off of the irons, wedges and putter and its wanna-go-straight tendency. Even though my iron game was also a bit off (hadn't touched a club in 3.5 weeks), every shot was dead-straight, just some pushes and pulls.

I'm intrigued enough to stick with them a while to see but I can already tell that it's a quality ball and one that will suit a great many golfers out there.

I played this ball today and its worth more than $25 lol, what a great ball for the price. The only thing I was disappointed in was distance off the tee, this ball was a good 10 yards behind where the tour iZ is for me. It held greens really well, felt great off the irons, wedges, and putter. It doesnt cut down the spin on the driver as much as the tour iZ does for me but it sure did help some, there were a couple shots I hit that would of been in the rough with the Zstar but the Qstar settled that side spin down just enough for me to find the center of the fairway. I will gladly play this ball when im out of my normal ball, I will also be playing this ball on courses im not familiar with. I will also add it didnt scuff up as bad as I though it would, my wedges still did a number on it but I could get a full round out of a ball.

Bump for SW. At least I think this is the one you want!

Bump for SW. At least I think this is the one you want!

Thank you smalls!

Put these on the launch monitor today vs the Callaway Diablo Tour. 10 wedge shots with a 54* xft and 5 with a R11 10.5*. Results below.

Wedge
Q-Star
Distance avg. 112 yds
Backspin 5873 rpm
Side spin 361 l

Diablo Tour
Distance avg. 93 yds
Backspin 6306
Side spin 177 l

Don't focus in so much on the distance differences. The callaway was launching way higher, hitting the top of the practice bay higher. Got a few looks from the staff after that one :D

Driver
Q-Star
Distance avg. 245
Carry avg. 241
Ball speed 147
Launch angle 11.0
Backspin 3478
Long 258
Short 233

Diablo Tour
Distance avg. 254
Carry 247
Ball speed 150
Launch angle 12.6
Backspin 3516
Long 271
Short 244

Dispersion on the driver was night and day. Q-Star had much more, 2 draws, 1 dead straight, 2 fades. The Diablo was much straighter, 4 tiny draws and one dead straight.

The Diablo felt miles better off the driver and despite some crazy backspin #'s still out carried the srixon.

Hope this helps paint a little clearer picture of this ball. I've gamed it over the past few rounds and the on course thoughts are very similar to my results here, except for the distance off the tee.

--
tapatalk

Thank you smalls!

Put these on the launch monitor today vs the Callaway Diablo Tour. 10 wedge shots with a 54* xft and 5 with a R11 10.5*. Results below.

Wedge
Q-Star
Distance avg. 112 yds
Backspin 5873 rpm
Side spin 361 l

Diablo Tour
Distance avg. 93 yds
Backspin 6306
Side spin 177 l

Don't focus in so much on the distance differences. The callaway was launching way higher, hitting the top of the practice bay higher. Got a few looks from the staff after that one :D

Driver
Q-Star
Distance avg. 245
Carry avg. 241
Ball speed 147
Launch angle 11.0
Backspin 3478
Long 258
Short 233

Diablo Tour
Distance avg. 254
Carry 247
Ball speed 150
Launch angle 12.6
Backspin 3516
Long 271
Short 244

Dispersion on the driver was night and day. Q-Star had much more, 2 draws, 1 dead straight, 2 fades. The Diablo was much straighter, 4 tiny draws and one dead straight.

The Diablo felt miles better off the driver and despite some crazy backspin #'s still out carried the srixon.

Hope this helps paint a little clearer picture of this ball. I've gamed it over the past few rounds and the on course thoughts are very similar to my results here, except for the distance off the tee.

--
tapatalk

Thanks for the info SW, I also found this ball to be shorter off the tee than my normal tour iZ, my tour iZ is also straighter off the tee, the sidespin I saw with this was noticably more than the iZ

Bought 12 for $22.99 played them this week. Great feeling ball drives rolled out great, need to get use to a little more roll on the green.

I tried these today along side Nike 20xi (s) which is my usual ball more or less to find a cheaper option. I did notice these balls felt like a rock off the driver face which I didn't care for at all. Iron feel was a little softer but not what I prefer. Approach shot and wedges did check and stop after a short bounce and around the greens I didn't see much more roll than my Nikes. Bottom line, not a bad ball but I can't get over the feel off the tee. If that doesn't bug you maybe these are for you, IMO.

WOW! Is it already freezing up north? I really can't see anyone describing these as rocks unless the 20xi's are total marshmellows. I only have a driver speed of 93-95 and I can feel these compress nicely. Different strokes for different folks to use a somewhat golf pun.

So I finally got to play these on monday. My normal ball is the Diablo Tour, but I did not play these side by side. I've been playing the Diablo Tour all summer, so I know the feel, for me, pretty well. The Srixon felt similar, but not as good for me. Now, I made an adjustment in my driver set up, and because of that I wasn't making contact with the sweet spot as well as I had been, but it was a much straighter shot. Now, when I connected with the Q-Star, it felt good, but with the same shot with the Diablo, off the tee I was losing maybe 10 yards or so. Now, like I said, I wasn't making as good of contact as normal due to the change. I now know how I need to adjust for it, so the next round I get in I will be able to make a more fair comparison for that. I will say that shots that I thought would normally be not only off the fairway, but the planet in it's entirety, not only ended up in play, but found the fairway. The 25+ yard slice I thought it would be ended up being a 5 to 10 yard fade. Now, again this could be due to set up, but this is what I saw in my round.

Now onto the feel off the irons and spin. The ball definitely does not spin as much as the Diablo Tour. This is what I noticed right away. My iron game was not perfect on monday, but I was still making semi-decent contact. The ball held the greens, but, I did not get any hop and stop, or even 3 hop and stop. Nearly every shot with my 7 iron to pw would hit and roll out. For example, I had a pw into the green on a par 4, about 125 in distance, front pin. I could either try to hit a hard 52 or hit my 47 PW easy and have it hold. I hit the PW, full swing but easy, and the ball landed on the front of the green and I ended up with a putt from the very back of the green. The only shot I had that had good spin was a par 3, 100 yards. I hit a 3/4 52 wedge and the ball hit, bounced once and stopped. On the same hole last time I played through, I hit the same shot with the Diablo and the ball hit, and when I got to the green, the ball was closer to the front of the green than it's ball mark. Only as couple of feet, but it definitely spun back, as the green is nearly flat. The last round I played with the Diablo Tour, I had 185 yards to a green, kind of uphill, and I hit a perfect(very rare) 5 iron that hit once and stopped, so I know the Diablo will spin for me.

Coming out of the rough around the green, it's difficult to judge the spin that you may or may not get, but I think the Diablo even spins more coming out of that. I did not have a single chip from the fairway, as I missed a good number of greens, so I can't tell you how a bump and run or spinning chip reacted as I couldn't get the club on the ball very well from just off the green. But the Diablo will check up when you want it to, or roll out on command.

For my money, I think I may stick with the Diablo. I liked the feel of the Q-star, but, from what I found with this single round, I don't know if it's worth it for me to change. I love Srixon balls, and my preferred ball would be the Z-star, but I can't afford it. For the price, I think I get a little more of what I like out of the Diablo Tour compared to the Q-star. Will I not play it at all? No, I would definitely play it, but it will be choice number 2 for me, based off of one round. I still have a few sleeves, so I will definitely be playing it more, so this could change, as it could have just been on off day, but these are my findings so far.

So I got another chance to hit the course and give these balls a try.

Distance- Although I don't drive the ball very far, I felt I was losing a little bit on my drives with this bar. It produced a good boring trajectory but didn't seem to carry like other balls I play.

Feel- The ball has great feel of the irons and was very soft off my hybrids. I experienced a little bit of control problems at first with my wedges. I noticed the ball was springing off my wedges and going further than expected. I dialed in my wedges and after 4-5 holes I was putting the ball exactly where I wanted to. The ball was stopping just as well as my ProV1X's.

Control- Like I mentioned earlier I had some early issues with the ball off my wedges, but it performed great with my irons. I had no problem putting a little fade on the ball when needed to and for the most part it flew where I needed it.

Chipping and Putting- This ball is going to stay in my bag for this very reason. I putted beautifully and chipped with precision. The ball stopped on a dime and rolled when you needed it to. I usually don't hit may good flop shots but I had to hit a few during my round and when I thought the ball was going to just plop down on the green it rolled out a lil like a good flop shot.

All-in-all this is my second round with this ball and I am thoroughly impressed. This might be the best ball you can buy for $25 hands down. Many have compared this ball to the E-6, and while the E-6 is meant for distance it does not compare to the Q-Star in all of the other categories especially around the green.

I just wanted to give this thread a little bump and update, I have officially fallen in love with this ball, I just ordered another dozen with the TGW 15% off sale a couple days ago in the yellow this time. It has decent distance off the tee, still shorter than the tour iZ for me but still good enough to where I am happy, feels great off of every club in the bag, spins pretty darn good too, I spun back a couple 9 irons on a shorter par 3 about a foot.

Overall for 25 bucks you cant beat it IMO, I am very pleased with it and will always have a sleeve or two in my bag along with the tour iZ.

I just wanted to give this thread a little bump and update, I have officially fallen in love with this ball, I just ordered another dozen with the TGW 15% off sale a couple days ago in the yellow this time. It has decent distance off the tee, still shorter than the tour iZ for me but still good enough to where I am happy, feels great off of every club in the bag, spins pretty darn good too, I spun back a couple 9 irons on a shorter par 3 about a foot.

Overall for 25 bucks you cant beat it IMO, I am very pleased with it and will always have a sleeve or two in my bag along with the tour iZ.

I'm right there with ya 10yd! I've been using this ball for my last 4 rounds and absolutely LOVE it. It has a great feel, though I don't love the sound of it everything else is absolutely fantastic. I personally play the yellow version. If I didn't play this one, I think I'd be playing the Z-Star anyway!

But this ball is great, and economical too!

I'm right there with ya 10yd! I've been using this ball for my last 4 rounds and absolutely LOVE it. It has a great feel, though I don't love the sound of it everything else is absolutely fantastic. I personally play the yellow version. If I didn't play this one, I think I'd be playing the Z-Star anyway!

But this ball is great, and economical too!

Agree 100%. I love the yellow zstar and played them a lot when I played the Zstar. I bought the yellow Qstars this time around. I actually like the sound of it, its def not a loud/clicky ball IMO

I played this ball Saturday and came away impressed. I agree the distance isn't the best but it's still good. Feel and distance off the irons was very good. I chipped pretty good with it and putting was ok too. Hanks noticed this ball is much more white in color then other balls. Or so it seemed. Overall I liked it. Specially for the price.

I played this ball Saturday and came away impressed. I agree the distance isn't the best but it's still good. Feel and distance off the irons was very good. I chipped pretty good with it and putting was ok too. Hanks noticed this ball is much more white in color then other balls. Or so it seemed. Overall I liked it. Specially for the price.

I agree about the color OEM, the Zstar and the Qstar are a much brighter white than others

I agree about the color OEM, the Zstar and the Qstar are a much brighter white than others

Yeah I wasn't sure if it was just me or what but that is a really white ball. I played the same ball my whole round strangely enough with how poorly I played and it only had a few minor scuffs.

Yeah I wasn't sure if it was just me or what but that is a really white ball. I played the same ball my whole round strangely enough with how poorly I played and it only had a few minor scuffs.

its pretty tough for sure, the first time I played it it scraped up pretty easy but it hasnt done it since that one ball.

This is a really good ball. I gamed one today and love the feel off the driver, irons, & putter.

This is a really good ball. I gamed one today and love the feel off the driver, irons, & putter.

I was playing this ball exclusively for about a month and loved it. Then the Trispeed tours went on sale for the same price and I bought a box of those that I've been playing for about 2 weeks and I hate them compared to the Q-starts. I can't wait till I run out and can get some q-stars again. Its not the best ball in the world, but it does everything I need it to do.

I was playing this ball exclusively for about a month and loved it. Then the Trispeed tours went on sale for the same price and I bought a box of those that I've been playing for about 2 weeks and I hate them compared to the Q-starts. I can't wait till I run out and can get some q-stars again. Its not the best ball in the world, but it does everything I need it to do.

True and the price is right for a really good quality golf ball in the Q - Star.

I agree CB, it really does everything you need it to and for 25bucks

True and the price is right for a really good quality golf ball in the Q - Star.

price is great, I would gladly play 30-35 for this ball

I agree CB, it really does everything you need it to and for 25bucks

price is great, I would gladly play 30-35 for this ball

shhhh...don't give any ideas.

I've been playing it along with the the penta, other than obvious differences the q-star is a solid performer.

--
tapatalk

shhhh...don't give any ideas.

I've been playing it along with the the penta, other than obvious differences the q-star is a solid performer.

--
tapatalk

haha ya def dont want to give them any ideas on that.

Breeze, what you do like about the Q-Stars better than the Tri-Speeds?

Breeze, what you do like about the Q-Stars better than the Tri-Speeds?

Hawk, I think its longer off the tee, it "feels" softer around the greens and with the putter, and I think offers more spin even though the Trispeed tour is a 3 piece. I have nothing to prove this, but I think both the core, and the cover of the Trispeed Tour are harder than the Q-Star.

Back