Steve Jobs Is Watching You

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh snap. OEM with the comeback!

Spoiler
FACE

Actually I like how Apple is getting killed for something that is quite common and all the phone manufacturers are doing. This is happening way more then people think.

And to think that I was doing #2 in private. I wonder if he has a spread sheet on my toileting habits?

Yup, where's the bashing of google, android, whoever else?

Your kidding right? Google got absolutely crucified about this when it came out.

Actually I like how Apple is getting killed for something that is quite common and all the phone manufacturers are doing. This is happening way more then people think.

I think Apple is personally getting the bad end of the stick here. Being an inovator since the first iphone was released they will always be in the spotlight for things like this. We all know that android, google, etc have all been doing this. But Steve Jobs doesn't help the situation with his arrogant attitude. "You're holding it wrong" i mean come on at least acknowledge it and do something about it first......and don't give me a free bumper to shut me up ;)

And to think that I was doing #2 in private. I wonder if he has a spread sheet on my toileting habits?

Actually OEM has all that data.

Yup, where's the bashing of google, android, whoever else? Again, things like this just don't concern me much. What concerns me is a foreign dependence on oil, rising gas prices, crappy health care, things like that.

Don't worry, Mr Jobs will have an iSolution for all those fears.

Your kidding right? Google got absolutely crucified about this when it came out.

Here on THP? I haven't seen that thread, perhaps you can point me in the right direction?

Don't worry, Mr Jobs will have an iSolution for all those fears.

Yeh Mr. Jobs answer to rising gas prices will be "You're holding the pump wrong" :)

I think the criticism is there man but when it comes to Apple it just is a louder voice. Everyone loves to hate the popular kid, look at all the Windoze bashing that went on in the 90's and 00's before Apple got really popular. Everyone loved to slam Microsoft and Bill Gates but now its Apple and Steve Jobs. If Android passes Apple then it'll be Schmidt from Google in the primary cross-hairs
Yup, where's the bashing of google, android, whoever else? Again, things like this just don't concern me much. What concerns me is a foreign dependence on oil, rising gas prices, crappy health care, things like that.

Here on THP? I haven't seen that thread, perhaps you can point me in the right direction?

It was quite a while ago and google has been doing it and getting killed for longer than that.

However you have to look at things a different way. Nobody talks about Mac security issues. WHy? Because in the grand scheme of things nobody uses Macs (percentages). The same thing here. Nobody is going to talk about whether or not Android has the same flaws because it is broken down into 48 companies and they are all different and do different things. The article I believe you posted talked about this in detail I believe.

As a Mac user, I am appalled with the ego that Jobs has shown when flaws are brought up. Or frankly the lack of any response. That would not be tolerated at any other company at any other level.

I think the criticism is there man but when it comes to Apple it just is a louder voice. Everyone loves to hate the popular kid, look at all the Windoze bashing that went on in the 90's and 00's before Apple got really popular. Everyone loved to slam Microsoft and Bill Gates but now its Apple and Steve Jobs. If Android passes Apple then it'll be Schmidt from Google in the primary cross-hairs

Ok.

Honestly, I could care less about any of that stuff. Tech stuff does nothing for me, it's not my fortay. I'm simply commenting that here (on THP, b/c that's where this discussion is taking place) the same outrage for everyone else isn't the same. If it has been, please point me in the right direction. Better yet, don't worry about it. I don't like talking about this stuff anyway.

Ok.

Honestly, I could care less about any of that stuff. Tech stuff does nothing for me, it's not my fortay. I'm simply commenting that here (on THP, b/c that's where this discussion is taking place) the same outrage for everyone else isn't the same. If it has been, please point me in the right direction. Better yet, don't worry about it. I don't like talking about this stuff anyway.

Lets relate it to THP then.

If Tour Edge puts out a piece of garbage driver a few might say some things.
If TaylorMade puts out that same piece of garbage, there is outrage

Make Sense?

It was quite a while ago and google has been doing it and getting killed for longer than that.

However you have to look at things a different way. Nobody talks about Mac security issues. WHy? Because in the grand scheme of things nobody uses Macs (percentages). The same thing here. Nobody is going to talk about whether or not Android has the same flaws because it is broken down into 48 companies and they are all different and do different things. The article I believe you posted talked about this in detail I believe.

As a Mac user, I am appalled with the ego that Jobs has shown when flaws are brought up. Or frankly the lack of any response. That would not be tolerated at any other company at any other level.

Dead on here JB! And what blows me away the most is all of the "Apple Fanboys" that try and justify his higher then everyone persona! You can't go on any Mac forums and question why steve jobs said what he said without getting accused of liking android more.

I know dude and I respect that. My comment was more about the national/global view vs. here on THP.

so how about those effin gas prices???

Ok.

Lets relate it to THP then.

If Tour Edge puts out a piece of garbage driver a few might say some things.
If TaylorMade puts out that same piece of garbage, there is outrage

Make Sense?

Yup...

Apparently, here is why it is not a huge deal with google.

Let all those questioning their open-source smartphone overlord be silent. Responding to the recent ruckus caused by an O’Reilly article and subsequent report by The Wall Street Journal, Google has let it be known that it is not tracking your location… unless you give it permission. In a statement to blog TechCrunch, Google writes:

All location sharing on Android is opt-in by the user. We provide users with notice and control over the collection, sharing and use of location in order to provide a better mobile experience on Android devices. Any location data that is sent back to Google location servers is anonymized and is not tied or traceable to a specific user.

The Wall Street Journal called in to question the notion that data sent to Google was, in fact, anonymous. Google addressed this claim, stating that when users opt-in to the service data is often linked with a phone’s unique identifier . The unique identifier is not, however, then partnered with a phone number, serial number, name, or email address — making it difficult for Google to associate the location information with a specific user. Apple has yet to issue a statement about the utility of its gathered location data.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/04/22/google-our-smartphone-location-tracking-is-opt-in/

This is Apples response to all of the criticism..........

Why is my iPhone logging my location? The iPhone is not logging your location. Rather, it’s maintaining a database of Wi-Fi hotspots and cell towers around your current location, some of which may be located more than one hundred miles away from your iPhone, to help your iPhone rapidly and accurately calculate its location when requested. Calculating a phone’s location using just GPS satellite data can take up to several minutes. iPhone can reduce this time to just a few seconds by using Wi-Fi hotspot and cell tower data to quickly find GPS satellites, and even triangulate its location using just Wi-Fi hotspot and cell tower data when GPS is not available (such as indoors or in basements). These calculations are performed live on the iPhone using a crowd-sourced database of Wi-Fi hotspot and cell tower data that is generated by tens of millions of iPhones sending the geo-tagged locations of nearby Wi-Fi hotspots and cell towers in an anonymous and encrypted form to Apple.

Apple states that all data that is transmitted to Apple is anonymous and encrypted and can not be tied to the identity of the user. The company also notes findings that the database continues to grow despite location services being off is a bug that will soon be addressed.

Apple is planning on releasing a free iOS update in the next few weeks that performs the following:

- reduces the size of the crowd-sourced Wi-Fi hotspot and cell tower database cached on the iPhone,
- ceases backing up this cache, and
- deletes this cache entirely when Location Services is turned off.

Apple released some answers on this topic.

Its a pretty long QA, but here are some highlights:
- your location data is secured but not encrypted when on your device
- your location data is cached then saved to iTunes everytime you sync for iphone/ipad
- once the data is backed up to itunes, the user preferences decide if it is encrypted or not
- an update is coming to reduce / eliminate the storing of this data

I dont entirely agree with you on this because the reason that Macs are more secure are due to two things. One is the fact that OSX is actually a linux based operating system which is very secure operating system that doesnt have any backdoors...(this is from my friend who is like a computer engineer or something like that....but lets just say that his career is HEAVILY involved with operating systems because I know that for sure). On the contrary, windows has many backdoors from what he has told me but at the same time windows does allow alot more "customization"

Second, windows is the operating system mainly used in business situations and businesses keep financial data on them making them a target for hackers.

My friend actually found a way around this that I do not know how to entirely explain. What he did is build a server that works on linux. THe internet has to go through the linux before it gets to his computer that is windows based. This way he does not need any antivirus software and can still do all the customization that he wants and play all the videogams that windows has and mac does not....

After reading more about this data being collected on your location I have come to the conclusion that it is the same as what happened with google and people are making a big stink out of nothing.

I dont entirely agree with you on this because the reason that Macs are more secure are due to two things. One is the fact that OSX is actually a linux based operating system which is very secure operating system that doesnt have any backdoors...(this is from my friend who is like a computer engineer or something like that....but lets just say that his career is HEAVILY involved with operating systems because I know that for sure). On the contrary, windows has many backdoors from what he has told me but at the same time windows does allow alot more "customization"

You may want to speak with your friend, because the whole thing starts with OSX is a Linux based OS.

You may want to speak with your friend, because the whole thing starts with OSX is a Linux based OS.

Not sure what you are trying to say here as I already stated that.

Not sure what you are trying to say here as I already stated that.

Assuming your friend is the expert he says he is, I was frankly shocked to see him call Mac OS a Linux based OS.

I have been told on numerous occasions from numerous sources that osx is linux based including. And the expert that my friend is is degree based not self proclaimed....

this popped up quite rapidly on google....

https://ccrma.stanford.edu/guides/planetccrma/OS_X.html

Did you read the link you posted? It does not say that it is Linux based but that it is based on many platforms that are opensourced including Linux.

The Mac OSX is not based on the Linux platform. Sorry. It does have aspects made up from that and they share some UNIX kernels definitely, but the OS is not based on Linux. Your friend needs to check his facts, as this is pretty common knowledge.

Did you read the link you posted? It does not say that it is Linux based but that it is based on many platforms that are opensourced including Linux.

The Mac OSX is not based on the Linux platform. Sorry. It does have aspects made up from that and they share some UNIX kernels definitely, but the OS is not based on Linux. Your friend needs to check his facts, as this is pretty common knowledge.

yes, but it is still based on certain aspects of linux...i didnt say it was an overlay of linux I said it was BASED that does not mean that it takes 100% of it that does not mean it takes 75% or 25%

You even contradict yourself in your post by saying it is based on open source programs including linux and then turn around and say that it isnt based on it at all...

Back