Storm Bearing down on the south

Storm Bearing down on the south

Hop on a plane and come to sunny AZ!
My wife and I discuss moving to Scottsdale every year about this time... I prefer gators to scorpions, but dry heat to humidity!

The estimate for Rockland County NY is around 10" on Thursday...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stay safe everyone.

MM sorry to hear about your loss.
Everyone please check in when you can so we know you're safe.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

:act-up:Be careful guys....this has been such a bad bad bad winter. We lost a beautiful horse as well,,that cold was too much for her. Wife was devastated..

So sorry to read that!

We are going to get slammed yet again up here. Saw on the news before this coming storm we are already at 50+ inches of snow so far this winter. But, we are better equipped to handle it. I really hope all of you guys and girls take it seriously and stay safe. It's nothing to mess with. If you absolutely don't have to go out, don't.

I feel for you guys, this winter has been brutal

KellyBo and I are safe and warm watching the Channel 2 news from Atlanta. Thanks for all the well wishes from you guys!

KellyBo and I are safe and warm watching the Channel 2 news from Atlanta. Thanks for all the well wishes from you guys!

Good to hear OG. Are you NW or NE of ATL?

Watching the updates this morning on the news, thoughts and prayers for everyone up that way.

Glad to see ATL hunkering down this time with preparations.

The icing is ridiculous here, bridges are closed, and it just plain ole sucks lol. I'm still struggling with the thought that I live in a place that doesn't have salt trucks or plows, what a bunch of morons.

The icing is ridiculous here, bridges are closed, and it just plain ole sucks lol. I'm still struggling that I live in a place that doesn't have salt trucks or plows, what a bunch of morons.

Same here. Took me an hour to get home yesterday and saw 3 wrecks before I got halfway home. I'm heading in to work soon but I know of one bridge along the way that has been shut down because of an accident.

Be careful, guys.

The ice has started to form here, we are expected to get between 3/4" and 1" of ice, some power lines will most certainly go down. We are total electric and we have no fireplace. I went out to the utility shed yesterday and brought in my Mr Heater ToughBuddy and my cart heater and a small Coleman heater I have. Just hope I have enough propane to last if the electricity goes out.

Ice sucks. We had a storm in 2007 that wiped out power to a huge chunk of the state, some people for 10+ days. Good luck folks!

The ice has started to form here, we are expected to get between 3/4" and 1" of ice, some power lines will most certainly go down. We are total electric and we have no fireplace. I went out to the utility shed yesterday and brought in my Mr Heater ToughBuddy and my cart heater and a small Coleman heater I have. Just hope I have enough propane to last if the electricity goes out.

Just please be careful about venting Randy. A lot of people get CO poisoning.

Be safe and careful everyone!

Round 2 is starting here. This is supposed to be the ice. I got some firewood just in case, but all I have is a fireplace which doesn't put out a lot of heat.

It'll be better than nothing if the power goes out though.

We are now on the tail end of it here. My driveway is solid ice, so it doesn't look like I'll be going anywhere any time soon. I'm supposed to be at work at noon but that may not happen.

Ice sucks. We had a storm in 2007 that wiped out power to a huge chunk of the state, some people for 10+ days. Good luck folks!

10+ days without power in the winter would be a nightmare.

They said on the news that 93,000 are without power so far. Good luck down south, people!

Thinking about everyone in the path of this, this is one nasty storm indeed. Stay safe all.

The icing is ridiculous here, bridges are closed, and it just plain ole sucks lol. I'm still struggling with the thought that I live in a place that doesn't have salt trucks or plows, what a bunch of morons.

Here in my beautiful mountain paradise we are going to top out at about 10 inches of snow. That is more that we've seen in more than a decade. The roads are impassable at 3 or 4 inches, especially if freezing rain/ice is mixed in. Our POA has some emergency vehicles with 4WD and chains, but no snow removal equipment to speak of, and even the 4WDs are virtually useless on these roads when it gets this bad. We are comfortable so long as the propane holds out; we could get by without electricity for awhile. We have no choice but to just wait it out. It is a little disconcerting to realize that, in an emergency, no one can get to us. I was pondering this morning whether it is time for us to move down to lower elevations where we'd at least have a chance to get help if needed. Come to think of it, moving further South isn't a bad idea either.

Yes. That's a stop sign. There was a road there a couple hours ago. And yes, that's the picket fence that I need to finish.....:p

aja5e9az.jpg

Our power has flickered a bunch in the last half hour or so, I hope it stays on.

10+ days without power in the winter would be a nightmare.

Nightmare is not quite the word for it.

We had it in '91. During the night, it sounded like someone was shooting off firecrackers. In actuality, it was tree limbs breaking off. In some cases, trees snapped at their bases (and I'm talking big trees here) from the weight of the ice.

My power was off for 4 days. I was one of the lucky ones. Some people were out for almost 3 weeks. Thousands of trees were taken down.

The county took most of the downed trees and ran them through a chipper. The results were piled up to a height of about 10 feet over a 5-6 acre lot. It was free mulch for Monroe County (population 1.2 million) for 15 months.

Good luck to all of you in the south. You are going to need it.

Back