Story for Slow Players

NikeGolf

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
For all of us who are used to having a round of golf last over 4 hours, here's a neat little story about a Minnesota assistant pro who showed just how quickly a person CAN get through a round of golf.

(granted, he had some help)

http://www.startribune.com/local/95417999.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUo8cyaiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU

Even though the guy didn't keep score, he had an eagle and a few birdies.

Like the guy said, "just get to the ball, and hit it". He stressed that you don't need to anguish over every shot to get a good score.

Some sound advice for some guys out there who want to pretend they're on Tour. :act-up:

Sounds like the perfect golf partner for JB. :clapp:

Can't say that I'm a fan of speed golf for normal play, but at least that course has the right idea.... to actively and vigorously promote pace of play awareness.

That is neat, but a fast round doesnt help everyone, some players play better slower.

I play the game to enjoy every moment and every shot. I take my time! I don't take three or four pre-swings, but I will look the hole over and go back for a different club if I think it's needed. With that said, I let anyone through if they are catching me. Someone don't like my pace they can go around.

I play the game to enjoy every moment and every shot. I take my time! I don't take three or four pre-swings, but I will look the hole over and go back for a different club if I think it's needed. With that said, I let anyone through if they are catching me. Someone don't like my pace they can go around.

That attitude wouldn't fly on my home course because it's just too busy. Having a slow group, even if they are willing to let others play through still slows down the whole course. Contrary to popular myth, it takes time to play through, and when there is just another group behind them, and another one after that, well you get the picture. In my opinion, slow play is simply unacceptable unless you are just about the only one on the course.

Keep up with the course's pace of play policy or pick up and move ahead. There is simply no excuse for slow play.

BTW, I too take my time and enjoy every shot, but if it's at all possible, I'm doing all of my preparation while others are hitting... when it's my turn I take about 15 seconds max to play my shot.

That attitude wouldn't fly on my home course because it's just too busy. Having a slow group, even if they are willing to let others play through still slows down the whole course. Contrary to popular myth, it takes time to play through, and when there is just another group behind them, and another one after that, well you get the picture. In my opinion, slow play is simply unacceptable unless you are just about the only one on the course.

Keep up with the course's pace of play policy or pick up and move ahead. There is simply no excuse for slow play.

BTW, I too take my time and enjoy every shot, but if it's at all possible, I'm doing all of my preparation while others are hitting... when it's my turn I take about 15 seconds max to play my shot.

I will agree w/ every word of this.

It's funny, slower players somehow feel that they are entitled to play slowly, regardless of the impact it makes on the rest of the field. Fast play isn't fun either, especially when the group behind you is crawling up your back and hitting into you. It boils down to too quick and too slow players just be selfish and not giving a hoot about other players on the course.. End of rant.

It's funny, slower players somehow feel that they are entitled to play slowly, regardless of the impact it makes on the rest of the field. Fast play isn't fun either, especially when the group behind you is crawling up your back and hitting into you. It boils down to too quick and too slow players just be selfish and not giving a hoot about other players on the course.. End of rant.

I really don't think anyone is being selfish and quite frankly a lot of the time it's the fast player getting his panties in a wad for nothing. I played a course the other day as a single and was paired with a couple guy's. We were well within our 4 1/2 hour time, in fact we played it in less than four, but caught up with a group of four guy's who were doing ok. One of the guy's I was with was pi#@$ng and moaning the last 3 holes about waiting? Those guy's ahead of us played at pace while we were behind them and the starter confirmed it after the guy with me complained, lol.

It's like driving down the highway and not being able to stand following someone who's going about the same speed, haha. I play within the pace, yet I'm no track star.

i just want a 30mph golf cart and a bunch of ppl spotting my golfball

I don't understand why more courses don't handle the course like 4P's does. One of the major reason people give up the game is slow play. If you want to keep your course full and profitable, keep the pace of play up and keep the turf maintained. Its pretty simple. A marshall on each side with a time sheet to move along the groups who are behind will go a long way towards making play there a good experience. No marshalls and poor pace will send golfers scurrying for another course. I know it does me. The only time I have ever complained about a course was when it took us 6-1/2 hours to play and the groups in front joined up to form a sevensome. I called the clubhouse from the course and begged for a marshall to come out and fix it. They ignored me. I called the head pro the next morning and told him I would never be back and why.

I'm with those who cant stand slow play. I frustrates me and makes me lose concentration. I've found that the usual causes for slow play are that people do not know how to ride in carts and take too much time on the greens. When riding take your partner to his ball, drop him off, go to your ball, hit, then pick him up. As far as greens go, this is where people spend the most time, rightfully so but it's not like you're trying to win a major here. Get a line and hit the thing.

That being said you don't have to play slow to play good. Some of my best rounds have come while playing right around the 3 hour mark.

On Tuesday this week all the Pro's at my course did a 100 holes for charity event. I think they averaged right around 3 hours or a little under and there was some serious scoring being done. One tied the course record with a 64 and this isn't a chump course either, it's one of the toughest in the state.

I see both sides in a way.

I hate to feel rushed, but I try to play quickly. I don't think that enjoying your round and playing quickly have to contradict each other. There is a big difference between taking your time and wasting everybody else's. I play by myself all the time and I will take a moment to size up a shot and go through my pre-shot routine. But, I also walk quickly to my next shot and mark my card while I'm moving (or waiting for somebody else). I can walk 18 holes in 2-1/2 hours if I'm not being held up.

Nothing irritates me more than cart golf that isn't played correctly. Some people literally will not walk 20 feet to their ball. Also, when you are done putting out, GET OFF THE GREEN.

A smooth, even brisk pace of play is fine, but speed golf, to me, ignores the whole point of "relaxation".

I have no problem with a 4 to 4 1/2 hour round of golf. Part of the reason why I play at all is the idea of being out on the course and taking in all of the sights, sounds and smells out there and I enjoy taking my time over a shot. I see no point in rushing to the ball and then rushing to hit it and then rushing to it again.

I honestly don't understand people who seem to have to play a round of golf in some sort of record time. If you have to or would rather be somewhere else, then just stay home.

-JP

I don't mind four hours (and maybe even 4-1/2 if we are talking a long course), but much more is really getting out of hand imo. When you figure in travel time, warming up, etc you are talking 5-6 hours. It's hard to justify that when you have a family and other obligations.

I don't mind four hours (and maybe even 4-1/2 if we are talking a long course), but much more is really getting out of hand imo. When you figure in travel time, warming up, etc you are talking 5-6 hours. It's hard to justify that when you have a family and other obligations.

Well if someone has a ton of other obligations, then maybe they simply shouldn't play that day.

A typical day of golf for me is to get to the course at least an hour before my tee time. Once there, I go to the range and warm up, then I'll do some putting and chipping and then I'll go play my round. Afterward, I generally go to the range again to either work on fixing something or to reinforce something I'm doing well, or sometimes I'll go practice some putting for a while and then I go home.

All told, a typical golf day for me is about 7 hours or more. If I'm feeling particularly ambitious and I play a second round, then no one sees me until sunset or later. If I can't allocate that kind of time, then I simply don't play that day because I'd rather not play at all than to rush through it as if it were on some "to do" list.

-JP

Well if someone has a ton of other obligations, then maybe they simply shouldn't play that day.

-JP

My life is filled with obligations and so are many other people's. To say that someone shouldn't play because of that is misguided at best and selfish at worst. I appreciate that you have the time available to be at the course as much as you do, but your situation is not typical in any way. Courses have a pace-of-play policy for a reason. Very few people have the time or desire to spend half of their day at a golf course. Again, I'm not saying that I expect to fly through a course. But, there is no reason that a round of golf should take longer than 4-ish hours.

My life is filled with obligations and so are many other people's. To say that someone shouldn't play because of that is misguided at best and selfish at worst. I appreciate that you have the time available to be at the course as much as you do, but your situation is not typical in any way. Courses have a pace-of-play policy for a reason. Very few people have the time or desire to spend half of their day at a golf course. Again, I'm not saying that I expect to fly through a course. But, there is no reason that a round of golf should take longer than 4-ish hours.

+ a million. SOme people have jobs, wives, 2nd jobs, etc... They should be allowed to play too.

I don't see how 4 hours for a round of golf is rushing anything. My course standard is 4 hours and 15 minutes.

4.5 hours is 15 minutes per hole. What could possibly make anyone need more time than that?

Pretty lame really...a team of caddies and ball finders? did not keep score? That's not playing golf that's just attempting to set a world record...

I was going to ask what everyone thought slow was. I dont take a whole lot of time while playing, but I like to take in the scenery. I like to pick my club after I estimate distance, size up my shot and take a practice swing. When I play as a single I dont mind waiting unless the person or group ahead of me wont let me pass if its reasonable (no groups logjammed ahead). I do get pissed when a group behind me starts to rush me. Mind you, I play 18 in 2.5/3 hrs. There are times I cant let people pass me when the course is backed up. They just dont get it. I think there is a difference between playing fast and playing impatiently. I have posted before about slow play annoying me. It's very situational at that point.

Im a fan of ready golf if the course is packed. If they take 4-4.5 hours I cant complain. When noone is out there, I love to take my time. Im still getting better so the less pressure the better. I try to remember that for those infront of me. Not everyone started out as sub 10 handicaps.
I don't see how 4 hours for a round of golf is rushing anything. My course standard is 4 hours and 15 minutes.

4.5 hours is 15 minutes per hole. What could possibly make anyone need more time than that?

I was going to ask what everyone thought slow was. I dont take a whole lot of time while playing, but I like to take in the scenery. I like to pick my club after I estimate distance, size up my shot and take a practice swing. When I play as a single I dont mind waiting unless the person or group ahead of me wont let me pass if its reasonable (no groups logjammed ahead). I do get pissed when a group behind me starts to rush me. Mind you, I play 18 in 2.5/3 hrs. There are times I cant let people pass me when the course is backed up. They just dont get it. I think there is a difference between playing fast and playing impatiently. I have posted before about slow play annoying me. It's very situational at that point.
You are playing slow if 1) you aren't keeping up with the group ahead AND you are playing behind whatever the course has dictated their pace of play is. You can't be expected to stay right behind JB's group that is playing in 2-1/2 hours but you shouldn't be the cause of the bog-down on the course either. If you are playing 15 minutes or less per hole, you should be OK. People who want to blaze through and get upset if they can't play fast should book their tee times early in the morning.

You are playing slow if 1) you aren't keeping up with the group ahead AND you are playing behind whatever the course has dictated their pace of play is. You can't be expected to stay right behind JB's group that is playing in 2-1/2 hours but you shouldn't be the cause of the bog-down on the course either.

How then do you explain being an hour behind the pace at Ironhorse???

Spoiler
:rofl:

How then do you explain being an hour behind the pace at Ironhorse???

Spoiler
:rofl:

LOL, that was messed up! We finished in four hours and were an hour behind pace on the GPS! I think we lost a half an hour on one hole alone!

LOL, that was messed up! We finished in four hours and were an hour behind pace on the GPS! I think we lost a half an hour on one hole alone!

It was pretty funny, that GPS telling Smalls that he was behind the pace was bugging the hell out of him!

Back