I use Ombrelle By L'Oréal, 60 SPF with broad spectrum protection for UVA and UVB rays! I don't find it oily/greasy at all and it has no fragrance so you will not smell like coconut :) recommended by my Canadian dermatologist. I'm always on Thainer's case about wearing sun screen! Its so important

I am going to start using it but I use a spray that doesn't require you to rub it in. I can't stand that feeling on my hands and don't want it anywhere near my grips. I do like that coconut smell though.

I am young but always have protected my skin as it is very easy for me to burn. Too many people I know like to "tan" without using sunscreen but they are damaging their skin and a couple have skin cancer. It's no something to mess with as it will kill you. Neutrogena/Aveno make some very good non oily sunscreen which is great for your face/ears/neck. I always wear a hat and try to wear pants as much as possible (almost every time). You must apply it before you go in the sun and re-apply depending on how much you sweat. Use the copertone spray to re-apply. Don't go longer than 3 hour with casual sun. Direct sun every hour. Your skin will not only say tan longer but it will look way better in the end. You will turn into a loose leather bag if you dont protect yourself. Also if you really sweat then look into surfers sunscreen. This stuff will protect you much longer. Brands like Watermans Applied Science are top notch.

Most of the time I don't wear any, but that's because most of my rounds are over by 10:00 in the morning or don't start till late in the evening. When I'm playing (or doing anything else outside) towards the middle of the day, I usually try to find some sort of sports sunscreen to wear.

I should also add that over the past few years I've tended to let my hair grow out in the summer. Guess you could say it looks similar to Boom Boom's. Lol! Regardless, I do feel that it helps protect my neck and ears from the sun.

This is a topic that is near and dear to me as a melanoma survivor. There used to be a product called PreSun that was hands down the best sunscreen I ever used. I used the alcohol based version that dried in almost instantly, didn't stink, and provided literally 'all day' protection. It's no longer on the market as near as I can tell, and it was expensive at $9.00 for 4 oz when it was available. I am out in the sun almost all day everyday because of my work so I went searching for bulk sunscreen, and found Rocky Mountain Sunscreen. I have been buying a gallon of 30spf every year since. It's labeled as non-oily, but like most non-alcohol-based sunscreens that is a complete farce! I do use Nuetrogena and Walgreen spray on the course, but I put on the Rocky Mountain stuff every day when I get to work.

For the record, ALL sunscreens are supposed to be applied a minimum of 30 minutes before exposure. All are also supposed to be reapplied throughout the day, especially if you are sweating or swimming. There is no such thing as waterproof sunscreen. I have to agree about wanting unscented sunscreens, I hate smelling like a freakin' coconut. But if that's the only thing I have available, I put it on, deal with the stink, deal with the oily mess and get on with my day. I hate putting it on every day, it drives me crazy that I have to. But not nearly as crazy as when I was told I had a deadly form of skin cancer!

I'm not a fan of oily sunscreens, which is most of them, but as a way to deal with them especially as it pertains to golf... I apply it when I'm getting dressed, and then wash my hands to get the greasy mess off my hands. At the turn I typically use a spray-on, and I coat myself liberally when I feel I need it.

I also wear long pants whenever I can get away with it just so I don't have to put on that much more sunscreen. Long sleeve shirts, in the summer heat, are out of the question even for me!

If you play golf (or spend any amount of time outside) you should have sunscreen on. I don't care where you live, yes EVEN you canucks, you need to put it on. Cancer SUCKS!

This is brilliant advice that everyone should follow!
I missed some spots with sunscreen on May long when I was golfing and I suffered the burned/peely circumstances.
When I was in Montreal for the race, it was supposedly 45C on track and we were sitting on aluminum bleachers that acted like mirrors so I liberally coated myself in sunscreen as I was getting dressed, and then re-applied every 40-60 minutes throughout the day. The only burn I got was about 2"x2" on my left hand, so the stuff really works!

I'm sorry to hear about this. I'd tell you what kind I wore but I don't....until now. Thanks for making us all step back and think for a second. Get well.

My daughter is a lifeguard at an outdoor pool. Her boss turned us on to Coppertone UltraGUARD Lotion SPF 100+. Non-Greasy and sweat proof which I really love. Nothing worse than sweating lotion into your eyes. It also has UVA/UVB Protection

Neutrogena SPF 85+ wet skin spray. Goes on even if you're sweating.

Just a heads up but the FDA is actually reworking a lot of the labels out there in the near future (saw a news report on this). You will not see SPF labeling for more than 35 I believe as the FDA is also redefining their definition of protection. Their redefining the use of the words "multi spectrum" and eliminate the word "water proof" which makes sense.

I was using Neutrogena Ultra Sport 70SPF, but after reading the articles like Spank mentioned above, I have switched to the Neutrogena Spectrum 100+SPF. After using the Neutrogena sprays I can't stand anything else. They are soooo fine of a mist and work very well for me.

I used to the Coppertone that everyone mentioned but noticed all of my golf shirts being stained. Found out that there is a little tinted self tanner like ingredient in the Coppertone Sport that was causing this.

I was using Neutrogena Ultra Sport 70SPF, but after reading the articles like Spank mentioned above, I have switched to the Neutrogena Spectrum 100+SPF. After using the Neutrogena sprays I can't stand anything else. They are soooo fine of a mist and work very well for me.

I used to the Coppertone that everyone mentioned but noticed all of my golf shirts being stained. Found out that there is a little tinted self tanner like ingredient in the Coppertone Sport that was causing this

I'll have to watch for this. Thanks!

I'm sorry to hear this VTH. I finally made my first visit to the Dermatologist and was relieved when I left for sure. But I've been exposed to all sorts of sun having marched Drum and Bugle Corps for 4 years of my life. I used to just tan, then I burned once and tanned the rest of the summer, now I have to use sunblock every time I'm overexposed.

I love NO-Ad sunblock myself and it was a staple for me, but for non-greasy lighter feel I use any of the Neutrogena sun block line. I prefer the spray myself nowadays and it leaves for less greasy hands!

Great thread here, sun screen is simply a must use. Take it from someone who lost a person near and dear to something preventable. I'm using a spray on now that has insect repelant as well, but always replace with fresh in the spring. It can lose its coverage or strength over time.

Tap,Tap,Tap

Thanks everyone for the great products mentioned. I was out playing yesterday evening and my dermatologist called with two other spots that I now have to get cut out with one being on my bottom lip. That is one area I definitely have neglected to cover which is one of the most exposed areas on my face.

The one good thing is my kids after seeing me all stitched up do not complain anymore when I make them lather up before heading to the pool, beach or just outside to play.

I just grew up in the time where my mom said you "can't tan without burning once". lol I just think I have a predisposition for skin cancer now and my dermatologist wants to see me every 3 months for checks which is totally fine with me. I just hate going thru this but it is a must and a little pain for a very curable disease is worth it.

Thanks for the suggestions again.

Back