Swing the club from bottom to the top

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
Does the over the top swing plague your game? Do you set up right and pull it left? Better yet do you set up left and hit further left?

If this is you then there is hope. We watch the top players in the world swing with effortless power week in and week out. There is great deal that goes into that but one of the common swing elements is their lower body.

Once they set the club at the top their body starts the down swing. This little bump of the left hip drop the club into the 'slot'. From this position they are able to SWING the club down and through the ball.

When they start straying off the fairways or greens they are always a bit out if sync. Slightly over the top or hanging back to save the shot. But to a man, when they are on their game that lower body is firing first.

Thanks Freddie. Question: how much separation do you feel when doing this correctly? I don't have any trouble using my lower body but I seem to struggle with over the top when my hips and shoulders move at nearly the same time, without any separation (I've seen this on video of my swing).

This is something that I struggle with fiercely. I've not been able to ingrain that little bump into my head.

So it is a bump from the top then a rotation of the hips? I don't understand how bumping the hips will drop the club in the slot?

I am not disagreeing with you at all Freddie, I just cannot see it.

I <3 Tadashi

This is definitely my miss when I try and kill the ball. My shoulders start the downswing and it's over after that.

I always like to picture a wall behind me and if I cast or come over the top I'll hit the wall with the club. If I bump my hips to the left (right handed) the club can fall into the slot and the wall is never in play. Great tip Freddie!

I figured this out at the end of this season and can't wait to get out early next year. I was starting with my arms and can now tell that I was losing so much power. Since starting with my legs, I've been seeing a lot more distance and even more accuracy.

This is something that I struggle with fiercely. I've not been able to ingrain that little bump into my head.

It is a weird feeling. I have a few thoughts or triggers that I use.

I like to imagine a spring coiling at the top. As I finish my backswing, my arms and club pause slightly, and my legs and hips start to turn into the downswing. Kind of like adding a little extra twist to a coiled spring.

I love this thread already.

This is just one of the reasons that I'm thrilled to have had my knee repaired. It was very hard for me to use my bottom half to start the golf swing. Stability/balance was not happening. Great thread Freddie!

This is something I always need to focus on, tough to ingrain, but always good to hit the range and practice.

Freddie, any good recommendations on drills?

Thanks Freddie. Question: how much separation do you feel when doing this correctly? I don't have any trouble using my lower body but I seem to struggle with over the top when my hips and shoulders move at nearly the same time, without any separation (I've seen this on video of my swing).
as you get more comfortable with the move it flows together. But a go trigger is once the club is set at the top and you are in full coil, is the right knee moving toward the ball. Or pull the left hip back off the line.
Because of the coil, any move of the lower body will start to pull the upper body. By delaying the down swing for a fraction of a second or keeping your back to the target the hips clear. Once they clear a fraction the swing starts down , provided you haven't cast the club it's in the slot.

So it is a bump from the top then a rotation of the hips? I don't understand how bumping the hips will drop the club in the slot?

I am not disagreeing with you at all Freddie, I just cannot see it.
so fold your arms across your chest and turn the shoulder 90*. Keep the flex in the lower body (knees). Once you've made that coil pull your right hip off the line ( since you golf from the wrong side of the ball) tell me what happens to your shoulders.

This is the move that pulls you through the hitting area. The upper body still swing and you still have to stay on top of the ball with your chest but that bump eliminates trying to drop in the slot.

I <3 Tadashi

Love you back

Same with me, Ive seen on video where I "think" im doing it only to find out im not even close. Then you see video of the pros and its way more evident

as you get more comfortable with the move it flows together. But a go trigger is once the club is set at the top and you are in full coil, is the right knee moving toward the ball. Or pull the left hip back off the line.
Because of the coil, any move of the lower body will start to pull the upper body. By delaying the down swing for a fraction of a second or keeping your back to the target the hips clear. Once they clear a fraction the swing starts down , provided you haven't cast the club it's in the slot.

I love that thought right there!!!!

Thanks Freddie. That is a great visual. I really appreciate all you do on this site for everyone.

...But a go trigger is once the club is set at the top and you are in full coil, is the right knee moving toward the ball...

OK, this is something I can "picture" during the swing. Gonna try this in my next practice session.

Swing the bottom from the top of your swing

Swing the bottom from the top of your swing

Care to share Blu? This whole thing confuses me, well actually most of golf confuses me haha

Of course. Please note, I know I'm far from perfect with my swing and there are some other issues in these pictures.

At the top my left leg is "close" to my right

yte8u2eg.jpg

I then try to create space between my knees. Almost feels like I'm swinging my left knee down the target line. That move opens my hips forcing my hands down while keeping my back to the target

5aqetape.jpg

That width lets my turn into and against my left. I try to feel like I'm leaving my head behind. That way I don't come in too steep.

u8y6ejem.jpg

Originally Posted by Tadashi70 ...But a go trigger is once the club is set at the top and you are in full coil, is the right knee moving toward the ball...

OK, this is something I can "picture" during the swing. Gonna try this in my next practice session.

You should try moving the right knee when it doesn't want to move or fire towards the target :beat-up:.

Because of the coil, any move of the lower body will start to pull the upper body. By delaying the down swing for a fraction of a second or keeping your back to the target the hips clear.

So hopefully this doesn't sound stupid, but with the left hip being the trigger to "pull the hip back off the line" is this more of a lateral pull or a rotation pull? I've started "flaring" out my left foot at address to help my hips clear better and want to incorporate the left hip pull also.

Again thanks for the vast swing knowledge Freddie.

Tapping away on my iPhone

This is something I always need to focus on, tough to ingrain, but always good to hit the range and practice.

Freddie, any good recommendations on drills?

A great drill that you can do at home is to set the club at the top and work on the left hip pulling back. Dont swing the club just get to the top and pull that left hip off the line. Or get to the top and fire the right knee at the ball. Both of these are the easiest way to get off that right side. You can also place a ball under you right heel instep, swing to the op and try the two previous drills.

Of course. Please note, I know I'm far from perfect with my swing and there are some other issues in these pictures.

At the top my left leg is "close" to my right

yte8u2eg.jpg

I then try to create space between my knees. Almost feels like I'm swinging my left knee down the target line. That move opens my hips forcing my hands down while keeping my back to the target

5aqetape.jpg

That width lets my turn into and against my left. I try to feel like I'm leaving my head behind. That way I don't come in too steep.

u8y6ejem.jpg
Blue we have disucssed this, your right hip is way off the line on the back swing. Try to keep that belt buckle pointed at the ball as much as possible. With your coil and a belt buckle at the ball you will hammer the ball. The bottom frame shows you coming under the bottom of the ball instead of being ontop of the ball and driving through. You are close and I feel if you work on the belt buckle and the take away we have discussed, you will be longer than you can imagine and accurate.

Good thread. I get the same feeling as Blu, where I'm trying to move my left knee away from my right and down the target line to start everything. Worked on that with my instructor last year. Thanks for the memory jog Freddie, I'll be working on this in my next range session.

So hopefully this doesn't sound stupid, but with the left hip being the trigger to "pull the hip back off the line" is this more of a lateral pull or a rotation pull? I've started "flaring" out my left foot at address to help my hips clear better and want to incorporate the left hip pull also.

Again thanks for the vast swing knowledge Freddie.

Tapping away on my iPhone
Questions are never stupid, cant learn nothing if you don't ask. The move is rotational off the line. if you bump forward you will be out in front at impact and have to save it with your hands or go with a block cut. This is what Tiger does oh so well. He gets stuck and now instead of going with the bloack cut he flips at it while hanging back and hits those aweful left pulls.

Back