TaylorMade ATV Wedges Review - Forum Testing

Dang buddy that bunker makes the local goat track bunkers look like Augusta National :bulgy-eyes:

haha, yeah they add sand into the bunkers sometimes cause the high wind knocks is all out and they sometimes forget to clean the rocks, one course looks like beach sand-it's white with lots of pebbles.

Yeah the bunkers at the courses I play here look like this most of the time AHHH

Rocky_Sand_Texture_by_animephoenix.jpg

It's very interesting I must admit!
Ahhh dude I would not hit out of a bunker like that, I will gladly take my penalty stroke and save my club lol.

I wouldnt hit out of that bunker either. No way. I take rocks out of the bunkers I get in if I see them. But if its all boulders and crap like that Id refuse.

Just had a fantastic range session in general (maybe my best ever), and the ATV held pace. I was hitting full 50° and 56° all over the pin, and hitting the 80 yard 56°'s on the button (same shot as in my previous "How To" video). I love hitting these things, it is so entertaining to me...I can't even put it into words. High, low, anything; and it rarely flies differently than I planned on. The superb turf interaction of these wedges allows me to do things I haven't been able to in the past with confidence and consistency.

Between these, my putter, and my irons...I have my bag set for a while to come, and I absolutely love all of the clubs. Next year will be driver, 3 wood, and hybrid/driving iron.

Wedge love to the fullest with these.

Also, to note, I won't be adding the 62° as soon as planned. I ordered a cart bag today, so, I probably won't be ordering a 62° ATV for a while until my wallet has a chance to recharge. The 56° is just gonna have to hold it's own as my all-in greenside wedge...I think I can handle the job at hand.

Ahhh dude I would not hit out of a bunker like that, I will gladly take my penalty stroke and save my club lol.

Ditto.

What a day on the course. My entire game was rocking, including the ATV, enough so to win in a big scramble that we generally don't even make the championship flight. Before the round I spent some time on the range comparing my CG14 to the ATV and confirmed that the CG14 56* was a little longer and every bit as straight with full shots, however the ATV just has the advantage out of the rough and I am really confident with it from those intermediate ranges like 30 to 60 yards. I'm still a bit surprised at no chip-ins during a round yet. Last year I had a ton with the CG's and I'm burning a bunch of edges, but just not dropping them.

I hope to get back out today for a little testing, practice and video's. Should be able to post some results later today if done early enough.

Looks like ive got two of these on the way. Thanks everyone for your great recommendations.

Good to hear it Thainer, I know you'll love them.

I have the maiden voyage with the ATV at 2pm today, really excited for this one. I plan on getting out there early to do some practicing before my 9 holes. I will have a update once I am done.

Thain - congrats on the pick up, man.

Due - I'm with you in the fact that this wedge is about 5 yards shorter on full swings than what I am accustomed to.

10YD - good luck out there today, hoss. Be confident and aggressive with it, it will take it from there.

Just tap it in, just tap it in. Give it a little tap tap tappy. Tap tap tap-a-roo via Tapatalk.

I have the maiden voyage with the ATV at 2pm today, really excited for this one. I plan on getting out there early to do some practicing before my 9 holes. I will have a update once I am done.

Have fun man, the ATV is the best wedge I've owned and I have played the Vokeys, and clevelands.

The reason it's so great is because I don't have to use different wedges for just one shot. It can do all the shots I've tried easily. I hope you see that as well today!

Looks like ive got two of these on the way. Thanks everyone for your great recommendations.

That's great Thainer, what did you end up getting? So what finally pushed you over the edge?

I had a good day yesterday with the ATV. Not much else in my game showed up, but hey, from 100 yards and in, I was pretty dang good. A buddy of mine scrambled against two other guys and if it weren't for my ATV green side, we may have had a pretty bad day. Toe up chipping has become my go to shot from the fringe and a few yards off the green and I am getting pretty good executing it. I about chipped two in from just off the green, giving us gimme puts (one to save our par and halve the hole, one for bird to win the hole) and had another two or three that I left near the hole for one putts. I was hitting first each time, and my buddy made the comment, "Man, I am just free to fire at the hole each time". I also hit a really sweet flopper shot, over a mound from about 20 yards, that landed right next to the hole for an easy 1 putt par. The course I was playing was in FANTASTIC shape, almost too good. The fairways were plush and soft, and I had some difficulties initially digging under the ball. I chunked my first couple approaches, just because I wasn't use to this kind of turf. I got better as the day went on, but it was a little disappointing to me to start out that way, especially after having a stellar practice session the other night.

The ATV continues to blow the doors off for me, in regards to green side chips and flops. Still have work to do on my pitching though.

Nice Jeff! Some great feedback there, I really am enjoying all the feedback on these for sure. I took one of the pro's where I play ATV's out last week just to mess around with and it was definitely a favorable feeling I had with it. I'm just so set in my wedges I can't budge. I definitely see myself grabbing a 58* down the road though on the cheap just to mess with thanks to this thread.

Great work everyone!

Nice Jeff! Some great feedback there, I really am enjoying all the feedback on these for sure. I took one of the pro's where I play ATV's out last week just to mess around with and it was definitely a favorable feeling I had with it. I'm just so set in my wedges I can't budge. I definitely see myself grabbing a 58* down the road though on the cheap just to mess with thanks to this thread.

Great work everyone!

My buddy was playing a TaylorMade xFT 56* with a KBS Hi-Rev, and Titleist ProV1. He is left handed, or I would have gave his wedge a try, because I have never hit one and don't know much about it. The thing is, my shots, with the ATV, with KBS Wedge shaft, and Penta TP5, had as much drop and stop on short pitches, that he was getting out of his set up. On most 100 yard in approaches, he was sucking them back by a ton over me, actually sucking one completely off the green. He spins the ball a ton, but I just wouldn't want that amount of spin. I think this current ATV setup is perfect for me. I would rather drop, hop, jitter bug and stop, then drop, hop, and suck back 10 feet. And he was just shredding balls. It was insane. There would be chunks of ProV1 in his grooves and he was constantly having to switch to a new ball. I just don't want that. Golf is expensive enough, without your equipment destroying other equipment.

I wouldnt hit out of that bunker either. No way. I take rocks out of the bunkers I get in if I see them. But if its all boulders and crap like that Id refuse.

Well since the purpose of this wedge is to test in various conditions, I do the dangerous work in the rocky sand so others don't have to haha.

Sorry guys but my knee is blown out and no more testing for me for at least a month :banghead:. If I can help anyone with questions about the ATV wedge to this point please send me a PM.

Sorry guys but my knee is blown out and no more testing for me for at least a month :banghead:. If I can help anyone with questions about the ATV wedge to this point please send me a PM.

Dude, very sorry to hear this. You have been awesome throughout this testing and we can't wait to have you back, hacking at the goat track.

I had a good day yesterday with the ATV. Not much else in my game showed up, but hey, from 100 yards and in, I was pretty dang good. A buddy of mine scrambled against two other guys and if it weren't for my ATV green side, we may have had a pretty bad day. Toe up chipping has become my go to shot from the fringe and a few yards off the green and I am getting pretty good executing it. I about chipped two in from just off the green, giving us gimme puts (one to save our par and halve the hole, one for bird to win the hole) and had another two or three that I left near the hole for one putts. I was hitting first each time, and my buddy made the comment, "Man, I am just free to fire at the hole each time". I also hit a really sweet flopper shot, over a mound from about 20 yards, that landed right next to the hole for an easy 1 putt par. The course I was playing was in FANTASTIC shape, almost too good. The fairways were plush and soft, and I had some difficulties initially digging under the ball. I chunked my first couple approaches, just because I wasn't use to this kind of turf. I got better as the day went on, but it was a little disappointing to me to start out that way, especially after having a stellar practice session the other night.

The ATV continues to blow the doors off for me, in regards to green side chips and flops. Still have work to do on my pitching though.

I know this shot was talked about by Hart, but where at? I could never find the post!

I'm going out and walking 9 at 4, so I'll have some stuff to talk about. Put the 60* back in my bag, so less ATV from beside the green, but I'll be playing it quite often still, I'm sure.

Dude, very sorry to hear this. You have been awesome throughout this testing and we can't wait to have you back, hacking at the goat track.

Jeff -- I can still chip and do the really short wedge punch shots so maybe I can help someone in that part of the game.

I know this shot was talked about by Hart, but where at? I could never find the post!

I'm going out and walking 9 at 4, so I'll have some stuff to talk about. Put the 60* back in my bag, so less ATV from beside the green, but I'll be playing it quite often still, I'm sure.

Try going back to page 38 and forward. That's where it is first mentioned I believe, because I start asking questions about it on page 39 or 40. Or, search the thread for "toe down chip".

I tried to illustrate how I do it the other day.

I basically hold the club like a putter, shutting off the club face and raising the heel of the club off the ground. When I shut the club face, I have found that the dots are aligned to about 11 oclock. I usually aim just right of the target, because I have found the ball generally checks to the left, before rolling out a touch. Then I just basically make a putting stroke, with length of backstroke, dependent on the amount of real estate I need to cover. This shot with the ATV 56* has been a blessing and it has become my go to shot around the green.

Jeff -- I can still chip and do the really short wedge punch shots so maybe I can help someone in that part of the game.

Well, I am sure all of us, as well as THP would agree, your phsical health comes before your testing obligations. You take care of you and we will always be here needing some guidance on how to hit balls from rock hard lies! LOL. I just don't want you to further injure yourself and be out any longer than you need to be. Hope you are able to get out there sooner than later, dude!

Well, I am sure all of us, as well as THP would agree, your phsical health comes before your testing obligations. You take care of you and we will always be here needing some guidance on how to hit balls from rock hard lies! LOL. I just don't want you to further injure yourself and be out any longer than you need to be. Hope you are able to get out there sooner than later, dude!

We got to tee it up at the next THP outing good buddy!

We got to tee it up at the next THP outing good buddy!

That's the plan, my man!

I was almost able to have some Ole Gray success yesterday on the course. Almost chipped two in. Sure, it wasn't for eagle, like yours was the other day, but regardless, chipping in is awesome, no matter what score you are writing down afterwards. Having this short game confidence and confidence in the ATV is awesome and something totally new for me.

Try going back to page 38 and forward. That's where it is first mentioned I believe, because I start asking questions about it on page 39 or 40. Or, search the thread for "toe down chip".

I tried to illustrate how I do it the other day.

I basically hold the club like a putter, shutting off the club face and raising the heel of the club off the ground. When I shut the club face, I have found that the dots are aligned to about 11 oclock. I usually aim just right of the target, because I have found the ball generally checks to the left, before rolling out a touch. Then I just basically make a putting stroke, with length of backstroke, dependent on the amount of real estate I need to cover. This shot with the ATV 56* has been a blessing and it has become my go to shot around the green.
You chip toe down with the 56* from how far from the hole? On the fringe or from braised lies?

You chip toe down with the 56* from how far from the hole? On the fringe or from braised lies?

I generally like it best and have had the best results from the fringe and from rough guarding the green, regardless of whether the ball is sitting up in the rough or sitting down. When it's sitting up, I just play for it to stop quicker, and if it's sitting down, I try to account for more roll out. I used it yesterday to take the first break out of a double breaking line if I were to putt from the fringe. That was one of the chips I almost holed and had I putted, I don't think I would have even out it close.

I won't use it if I am more than 5 to 10 feet off the green, but on those shots where I just come up short and I have to get the ball to the hole and have some green to cover, I have been using it a lot with great success.

Gregory Hines. Tapping.

I generally like it best and have had the best results from the fringe and from rough guarding the green, regardless of whether the ball is sitting up in the rough or sitting down. When it's sitting up, I just play for it to stop quicker, and if it's sitting down, I try to account for more roll out. I used it yesterday to take the first break out of a double breaking line if I were to putt from the fringe. That was one of the chips I almost holed and had I putted, I don't think I would have even out it close.

I won't use it if I am more than 5 to 10 feet off the green, but on those shots where I just come up short and I have to get the ball to the hole and have some green to cover, I have been using it a lot with great success.

Gregory Hines. Tapping.
Thanks Jeff, I'll have to try this next time out. I've never used a 56* for this type of chip always a 7iron.

Back