TaylorMade Metal Woods - Morgan Cup Staff

Some really nice unboxing pics and videos guys!

biggsy - I believe you'll love those shafts. I hope you get out tomorrow and can report back.

esox - You crack me up. So much that I hate talking sh*t to you at all. You look great and I wish you the best of luck with the new sticks. Your pictures were phenomenal by the way.

DD - Great pictures brother. I know you've had some driver woes here lately, so perhaps this gear showed up at the right time. The VDR's are badass bro!

Nice selections DD. Looking forward to hearing how they work for you.

Drooooooooooooooool!

TaylorMade Metal Woods:

I have posted the pictures, but now I would like to tell you how my club selection came about. I had a great fitting several weeks ago with Golf Tour Trailer in northern VA. My fitter, Chris, was completely stoked when I told him about The Morgan Cup.

I took a few swings with my current driver and he gathered some info from the launch monitor. He kind of had an idea as to what might work well with my swing and we tried a few shafts. I started with the 50g Blur, since my current shaft is lightweight. This really didn't work well for my swing so we tried the 65g. My launch was decent, but my spin was still a little high. He then brought out the RIP Beta 60. This shaft definitely feels a little more "stout" compared to my Miyazaki, but I loved the ball flight it was giving me. I was seeing a mid trajectory that just seemed to go. My launch angles were between 11-13* and spin numbers were around 2800-2900. Winner!

I have been testing the R11 T3 for THP for a few months now and while I love the head, I really dislike the stock Blur shaft. I tried out the Motore F3 that day at my fitting and was extremely pleased. This shaft is night and day compared to the Blur, IMO. My ball flight was much straighter and didn't balloon like it sometimes does with the Blur. I didn't even want to hit any other shafts after hitting the F3, I knew that was the one.

I knew I wanted to go with a 3w, but wasn't sure after that. I was pondering going with a 5w or a 3h and 4h. I talked to my fitter about it for a little while and he suggested I just go with an 18* 3 rescue and then jump to a 4i. He kind of assumed the 65g RIP in the stock Rescue would be a little too light, so he just grabbed the 85g. I took a few swings and immediately loved what I saw and felt. I have been gaming a competitor's hybrid for the past few months and didn't think I would ever find anything better. I haven't had a chance to take it to the course yet, but I was definitely impressed with the swings I took during my fitting. The ball flight was mid-high with a very small draw.

I plan to hit the range tomorrow after work and break in the new clubs. I have a scramble Saturday morning and hope to grab some swing vids. Have a great night guys/gals and thanks again THP and TaylorMade!

Great pics Biggsy and DD. Esox that video is great! I really enjoyed reading your write up on the what and the why behind your clubs you went with, I think they're going to work great for you at TMC and into the future.

I'm looking forward to seeing what our TMaG players north of the border have coming as well, I'm sure it will be just as spectacular as the rest of what we've seen!

Great pics Biggsy and DD. Esox that video is great! I really enjoyed reading your write up on the what and the why behind your clubs you went with, I think they're going to work great for you at TMC and into the future.

I'm looking forward to seeing what our TMaG players north of the border have coming as well, I'm sure it will be just as spectacular as the rest of what we've seen!

Oh, it will be. I just really hope they come tomorrow.

Great stuff DD, some more R11 love and I love to see all the VDR's that are going on clubs. I'm very jealous of you guys right now but I'm sure they will be here soon.

Thanks CB, I have been swinging the clubs out in the yard and love the way the VDR's feel.

Some really nice unboxing pics and videos guys!
DD - Great pictures brother. I know you've had some driver woes here lately, so perhaps this gear showed up at the right time. The VDR's are badass bro!

Thanks dude! Yea my driver has been kicking my arse lately. I am going to get it irons out though. I think the heavier shaft should definitely help.

Nice selections DD. Looking forward to hearing how they work for you.

Thanks Biggsy. You had some nice choices as well. Love the way the white/black NDMC's look on them.

I'm amazed at all of the love Golf Pride gets. I wanted to like the VDRs, they just look bad ass, but they just didn't give me the grip I expect. Just can't beat Golf Pride grips. Really appreciate Taylormade exceeding every request we had.

I have been testing the R11 T3 for THP for a few months now and while I love the head, I really dislike the I knew I wanted to go with a 3w, but wasn't sure after that. I was pondering going with a 5w or a 3h and 4h. I talked to my fitter about it for a little while and he suggested I just go with an 18* 3 rescue and then jump to a 4i. He kind of assumed the 65g RIP in the stock Rescue would be a little too light, so he just grabbed the 85g. I took a few swings and immediately loved what I saw and felt. I have been gaming a competitor's hybrid for the past few months and didn't think I would ever find anything better. I haven't had a chance to take it to the course yet, but I was definitely impressed with the swings I took during my fitting. The ball flight was mid-high with a very small draw.
That 85g RIP shaft in the hybrids is a little gem. Really impressed by that shaft. Looking forward to your thoughts on it.

CG, great video and write up man! The Guarantee...I f'n love it man!

AD, great detailed photos and write up. The white/black NDMC's look pretty good with the R11.

Ary, nice pics. I must say that I love the white VDR's!

Esox, great video and write up. I lol'd when you threw the old clubs across the room. Great pics too, they look really good. I got a kick out of your dog's new nickname!

Biggsy, great pics and write up. I like your club selection with the T3 and then 2 and 4 hybrids. Interested to see how the Rescue 2 treats you.

Biggsy, great pics and write up. I like your club selection with the T3 and then 2 and 4 hybrids. Interested to see how the Rescue 2 treats you.
Thanks. The club was an absolute beast for me at the outing. I can't wait to dial it in!

After I got the kids to bed, I took the new sticks out to the range. I have to say that I was really impressed across all four clubs.

R11 Driver - 10.5 Degree adjusted to 9.5 - Fujikura Blur 65 gram stiff - I've been gaming a 9 degree R11 all year with first the Diamana Kai'li R Flex, then later my Miyazaki Kusala Blue S Flex, with less than stellar results either way. To be honest, I was a bit worried to go to just a different R11/shaft combo for the Morgan Cup. However, in the fitting I was much worse with the SF 2.0 than with the R11 and the fitter told me to look for a stiff shaft with a higher torque number, which is why I selected the Blur 65. With the first range session under my belt, I can now understand the recommendation. That shaft fits my swing much better, and while the distance was similar or a bit less than my other combos, the accuracy was much better. I really look forward to working with it more in the coming days and weeks.

R11 Fairway Wood - 15.5 degree adjusted to 16.0 - Fujikura Blur 70 gram stiff - Over the past year, I've been gaming an R9 (15 degree) 3 wood and I haven't been thrilled with either the directional or distance results. The R11/Blur 70 combo was terrific for me during the fitting, and out on the range, I couldn't put it down. I could hit this off the turf or off a tee with great success. I have no concerns about this being my tee shot club on days where the driver is off. I ended up lowering it back to 15.5 degrees and gained a few more yards with it as well. My favorite of the four clubs (but not by much).

Rescue 11 Hybrids - 3H (18 deg) and 4H (21 deg) - Aldila RIP 65 gram stiff - I had fallen for the THP love of the Mashies earlier this year, and they corrected my fade too well. They were closed enough that I had a two way miss going. Fast forward to tonight. I really enjoyed seeing what the Rescue 11s could do. I was either hitting them straight or with a 5 yard fade. Exactly what I want to see. Very good distance and seemed real easy to hit.

All in all, for a first range session with the top end of the bag, I came away extremely pleased. I ripped through a medium bucket with mainly those four clubs, and wanted more.

I knew that Esox and DirtyDawg were smart guys going with the VDR grips! Thanks to everyone for the kudos on the grips, the white VDR grips go really well with the white clubheads.

Here are a few details on my setup for the Morgan Cup with the clubs that I got today.

Driver: R11 TP 10.5 degree driver with the Diamana Kai'li 60 stiff shaft. I had the best numbers with this shaft at my fitting at the Taylormade Performance Labs. The driver is also at 45.25" which is listed as 0.5 inches under standard. I've been playing around with choking down on my current driver (R9 Supertri 10.5 with Fubuki 73 stiff) to try to get a little more accuracy, so I'm hoping that going a little shorter in the driver but also lighter with the shaft will give me more accuracy without any significant loss in distance. Of course, if I'm hitting it more often in the middle of the clubface, I should get more distance! The loft and ASP are set at neutral, 10 gram weight in the heel, 1 gram weight in the toe.

Fairway wood: R11 TP 3 wood with Diamana Kai'li 70 stiff, set at 1 degree higher loft and the ASP open. Thus, the loft on the clubface is 16.5 degrees, and with the ASP set to open the clubface doesn't look too closed at address. I chose this setting after hitting it at the TMPL to give me a little more height with shots off the deck, but also to let me have the 3 wood distance off of the tee. I thought about going with the 4 wood here, but stuck with the recommendation I got to go with the 3 wood. Also, nice attention to detail by the club builders at Taylormade, they set the VDR grip after the club head was set in the 1 degree higher position, so that it wouldn't look off center with the settings not on standard.

Hybrids: I went with the 4 hybrid at 21 degrees and the 5 hybrid at 23.5 degrees, both with Matrix Ozik Altus shafts in stiff flex. I realize that it's a little weird from a numerical standpoint to go from a 3 wood to a 4 hybrid, but with the lofts the way they are, I hit the 4 hybrid just as far (or a little further) than a regular 3 iron, and the same applied to the 5 hybrid in comparison to the 4 iron. The 5 hybrid should be a nice club for the 190-200 yard shots, which is where right now I'm normally using a 4 iron and not doing all that well with it. My hybrids are meant to be iron replacements and a 3 hybrid at 18 degrees didn't give me enough height on shots off the deck, so that's why I chose these hybrids.

I am going out of town tomorrow for a wedding and won't be able to hit these clubs until Monday, but I will continue to update this thread with details on the performance of these clubs.

Great first range session AD!

Thanks for the write up about your club choices Ary. Those VDR's do look great with the R11!

Loving all the info about people's choices (and the reasons behind them). It seems like everyone has really put lots of thought and effort into selecting the correct equipment. Can't wait to see how it all performs in a few short weeks.

Man I wish my clubs were here, Canadian customs is my nemesis.

After I got the kids to bed, I took the new sticks out to the range. I have to say that I was really impressed across all four clubs.

R11 Driver - 10.5 Degree adjusted to 9.5 - Fujikura Blur 65 gram stiff - I've been gaming a 9 degree R11 all year with first the Diamana Kai'li R Flex, then later my Miyazaki Kusala Blue S Flex, with less than stellar results either way. To be honest, I was a bit worried to go to just a different R11/shaft combo for the Morgan Cup. However, in the fitting I was much worse with the SF 2.0 than with the R11 and the fitter told me to look for a stiff shaft with a higher torque number, which is why I selected the Blur 65. With the first range session under my belt, I can now understand the recommendation. That shaft fits my swing much better, and while the distance was similar or a bit less than my other combos, the accuracy was much better. I really look forward to working with it more in the coming days and weeks.

R11 Fairway Wood - 15.5 degree adjusted to 16.0 - Fujikura Blur 70 gram stiff - Over the past year, I've been gaming an R9 (15 degree) 3 wood and I haven't been thrilled with either the directional or distance results. The R11/Blur 70 combo was terrific for me during the fitting, and out on the range, I couldn't put it down. I could hit this off the turf or off a tee with great success. I have no concerns about this being my tee shot club on days where the driver is off. I ended up lowering it back to 15.5 degrees and gained a few more yards with it as well. My favorite of the four clubs (but not by much).

Rescue 11 Hybrids - 3H (18 deg) and 4H (21 deg) - Aldila RIP 65 gram stiff - I had fallen for the THP love of the Mashies earlier this year, and they corrected my fade too well. They were closed enough that I had a two way miss going. Fast forward to tonight. I really enjoyed seeing what the Rescue 11s could do. I was either hitting them straight or with a 5 yard fade. Exactly what I want to see. Very good distance and seemed real easy to hit.

All in all, for a first range session with the top end of the bag, I came away extremely pleased. I ripped through a medium bucket with mainly those four clubs, and wanted more.
You'll really appreciate the increased accuracy in August.

I think the 3 wood might be the best club in that entire R11 line. It's a beast. Sounds like it was flying well for you.

Sounds like a good range session for you. I am sitting here, just dreaming of taking mine out tomorrow and frankly I can't sleep.

I knew that Esox and DirtyDawg were smart guys going with the VDR grips! Thanks to everyone for the kudos on the grips, the white VDR grips go really well with the white clubheads.

Here are a few details on my setup for the Morgan Cup with the clubs that I got today.

Driver: R11 TP 10.5 degree driver with the Diamana Kai'li 60 stiff shaft. I had the best numbers with this shaft at my fitting at the Taylormade Performance Labs. The driver is also at 45.25" which is listed as 0.5 inches under standard. I've been playing around with choking down on my current driver (R9 Supertri 10.5 with Fubuki 73 stiff) to try to get a little more accuracy, so I'm hoping that going a little shorter in the driver but also lighter with the shaft will give me more accuracy without any significant loss in distance. Of course, if I'm hitting it more often in the middle of the clubface, I should get more distance! The loft and ASP are set at neutral, 10 gram weight in the heel, 1 gram weight in the toe.

Fairway wood: R11 TP 3 wood with Diamana Kai'li 70 stiff, set at 1 degree higher loft and the ASP open. Thus, the loft on the clubface is 16.5 degrees, and with the ASP set to open the clubface doesn't look too closed at address. I chose this setting after hitting it at the TMPL to give me a little more height with shots off the deck, but also to let me have the 3 wood distance off of the tee. I thought about going with the 4 wood here, but stuck with the recommendation I got to go with the 3 wood. Also, nice attention to detail by the club builders at Taylormade, they set the VDR grip after the club head was set in the 1 degree higher position, so that it wouldn't look off center with the settings not on standard.

Hybrids: I went with the 4 hybrid at 21 degrees and the 5 hybrid at 23.5 degrees, both with Matrix Ozik Altus shafts in stiff flex. I realize that it's a little weird from a numerical standpoint to go from a 3 wood to a 4 hybrid, but with the lofts the way they are, I hit the 4 hybrid just as far (or a little further) than a regular 3 iron, and the same applied to the 5 hybrid in comparison to the 4 iron. The 5 hybrid should be a nice club for the 190-200 yard shots, which is where right now I'm normally using a 4 iron and not doing all that well with it. My hybrids are meant to be iron replacements and a 3 hybrid at 18 degrees didn't give me enough height on shots off the deck, so that's why I chose these hybrids.

I am going out of town tomorrow for a wedding and won't be able to hit these clubs until Monday, but I will continue to update this thread with details on the performance of these clubs.
Good initial write-up Ary. I like reading about the though process behind your selections. A lot of work went into. Nice catch by TM with adding the grips after the adjustment. They really understand this fitting and customization process well.

Have good trip!

I have a digital photography expert in my house. She's 14. She does that with a program called Picknik. Does a ton of stuff with it on Facebook. But I posted them beautifully, I think.

Glad the range session went well for you AD. Always some trepidation with new clubs. I'm playing a course I've not seen before tomorrow and Saturday. I hope to have a good hour on the range before playing. I expect a few hiccups.

DD, the red grips rock. Almost went that way myself. I love the feel of the VDRs. Biggsy, you probably swing too damn hard for a soft grip. Your grips should have spikes that go into your hands. Gotta be hard to wait until Monday Ary.

Kevin

I have a digital photography expert in my house. She's 14. She does that with a program called Picknik. Does a ton of stuff with it on Facebook. But I posted them beautifully, I think.

Glad the range session went well for you AD. Always some trepidation with new clubs. I'm playing a course I've not seen before tomorrow and Saturday. I hope to have a good hour on the range before playing. I expect a few hiccups.

DD, the red grips rock. Almost went that way myself. I love the feel of the VDRs. Biggsy, you probably swing too damn hard for a soft grip. Your grips should have spikes that go into your hands. Gotta be hard to wait until Monday Ary.

Kevin

Lol! I actually requested black vdr's but they were out. They went ahead with the red and I am glad they did. I think they make a good combo.

Kevin
Like I said, I wanted to like them. I hope they make them with cords. I'm a little aggressive... :wink:

Tell your daughter she does a fine job, they are the best photos of the bunch.

Here's a tip CG13....when you do a video about your Taylormade clubs, don't rock a Nike Polo, adidas won't be too happy with that.

Also, it's nice to hear that you're already preparing to use your hybrid out of the rough! I plan on using mine from the fairway, but I guess that's how you roll.

i thought about it - trust me - i have 2 black and 1 white adidas shirt - but ive used them in every other video. So i went with my alma mater and hometown school. I know they are in trouble atm but they will perservere.

i thought about it - trust me - i have 2 black and 1 white adidas shirt - but ive used them in every other video. So i went with my alma mater and hometown school. I know they are in trouble atm but they will perservere.
Watch adwill's video in the The Morgan Cup thread, he explains the shirt for you...quite clever too.

7-1.jpg

someone else forgot to remove stickers!

My life is filled with the smooth sounds of saxophones. All the time. lol.

That dog never responded to his own name, so Ghost works.

Kevin

LOL i love it!

Back