TaylorMade Penta TP5 TP3 & RBZ

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
ITR is back with an all new episode this week as we talk with TaylorMade Golf about the 2012 line of golf balls.

This Episode Features:
TaylorMade Penta TP5, TP3 & RBZ Golf Balls
Which one is right for you
Explain the words soft & spin as it relates to the golf ball.
And much much more.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?p=15739

A 3 piece Penta ball huh? Isn't that something? Listening now and kind of interested in the RBZ Balls to be honest.

Can't wait to listen after my lesson this afternoon. Very interested in hearing about the new Penta lines.

Great program JB, the explaination of the Penta TP 3 name was very interesting as I too thought that was a pretty strange name for a 3 piece ball. The RBZ & TP 3 are on my "to try" list this year as I am a player who could use more spin coupled with distance. I did not know that "soft" golf balls were lower spinning than the "tour" balls, it makes perfect sense, but it had not dawned on me before. Thank you to Dean for sharing so much great information with us.

Interesting to hear about a 3 layer Penta. Very interesting. Nice to hear that TM is kind of attacking the ProV1 market as well. At $10-15 cheaper per dozen, they should be able to convert quite a few. I can't help but wonder if TM had that 4-6 month sale on last year's Penta just to get folks to try their golf balls? Very informative radio show. TM is a massive player in the golf ball arena, no doubt about it. Also interesting to hear about the softer core, and it being less spinny. Hearing that just disproved about a million posts i've read on our forum, LOL

• Admin
It was something I really wanted a golf ball expert to discuss for a long time. People relate soft to spinny because they relate soft to feel and how the ball itself feels in hand. Dean explained it very well.

For starters, thanks to Dean with TaylorMade golf for being on the show!

I gotta admit, I really like what I heard from Dean in his description of the RBZ ball. Sounds like a "better" ball in a lower price range which all of us appreciate I believe. Maximum distance with more spin is great sounding as they typically don't go hand in hand.

Very interesting discussion in comparing the TP3 & TP5 and explaining why they were designed a specific way and what the benefits are. Really is amazing to hear all of the technology/thought that goes into golf ball designs. Layers vs hardness or softness determining spin......very interesting. Summary tells me that the TP5 is about the same as the Penta TP and TP3 provides more spin than the TP5. That quick summary was good to hear as I am a fan of the Penta TP from last year but the TP5 will drop the spin on the driver & 3 wood shots.

Very, very informative show. Excellent job with the questions JB and thanks again to Dean!

I'm so excited to listen to this on my way to school. Just from reading the comments above I've learned a lot. I've no doubt that I'll learn a ton and that this will be a fantastic show.

I'm really excited to hear this one, but will have to wait till after work this afternoon to listen.

For starters, thanks to Dean with TaylorMade golf for being on the show!

I gotta admit, I really like what I heard from Dean in his description of the RBZ ball. Sounds like a "better" ball in a lower price range which all of us appreciate I believe. Maximum distance with more spin is great sounding as they typically don't go hand in hand.

Very interesting discussion in comparing the TP3 & TP5 and explaining why they were designed a specific way and what the benefits are. Really is amazing to hear all of the technology/thought that goes into golf ball designs. Layers vs hardness or softness determining spin......very interesting. Summary tells me that the TP5 is about the same as the Penta TP and TP3 provides more spin than the TP5. That quick summary was good to hear as I am a fan of the Penta TP from last year but the TP5 will drop the spin on the driver & 3 wood shots.

Very, very informative show. Excellent job with the questions JB and thanks again to Dean!

Cookie,
That is another thing I wanted Dean to address and he did a great job of explaining it. The idea that just because it is a "tour" ball does not mean it will spin more overall. It will usually spin more around the green on chips that need to check, etc, but most amateurs dont play that shot. Full shots saw the harder covered ball produce more spin for them. Very interesting stuff.

Cookie,
That is another thing I wanted Dean to address and he did a great job of explaining it. The idea that just because it is a "tour" ball does not mean it will spin more overall. It will usually spin more around the green on chips that need to check, etc, but most amateurs dont play that shot. Full shots saw the harder covered ball produce more spin for them. Very interesting stuff.

You are absolutely right. Pro's are carrying that lob shot closer to the hole or spinning it a ton out of the bunkers, etc and most of us are just carrying that chip or pitch as short as possible and letting it run out. Makes complete sense and it was very good to hear the differentiation between spin on the 100-150 yard shots vs spin around the green.

No bullsh$t, I feel so mush smarter after listening to ITR. I learned so much that is going to make look at golf balls differently.
The Penta 3 is going to get a serious look see! I really like the Penta 5 and will continue to game but the 3 really interest me.
Great show JB and you had a special guest, JWow in the middle of the show...lol

Interesting to hear about a 3 layer Penta. Very interesting. Nice to hear that TM is kind of attacking the ProV1 market as well. At $10-15 cheaper per dozen, they should be able to convert quite a few. I can't help but wonder if TM had that 4-6 month sale on last year's Penta just to get folks to try their golf balls? Very informative radio show. TM is a massive player in the golf ball arena, no doubt about it. Also interesting to hear about the softer core, and it being less spinny. Hearing that just disproved about a million posts i've read on our forum, LOL

Dean didn't mince words on that PROV1 point at all. In fact he said it twice. Gave them props for market share then planted his right foot in the sand and said we are going to offer a better choice to prov1. Paraphrasing of course but that's how I heard it.

Dean didn't mince words on that PROV1 point at all. In fact he said it twice. Gave them props for market share then planted his right foot in the sand and said we are going to offer a better choice to prov1. Paraphrasing of course but that's how I heard it.

Very interesting, huh? ProV1 goes to $50/dozen and TM releases their competitive offering at $15 less/dozen. That's huge!

Very interesting, huh? ProV1 goes to $50/dozen and TM releases their competitive offering at $15 less/dozen. That's huge!

TM knows where to get the most bang when going after Titleist. It's kinda of amazing knowing how well the current Penta performs to think there is a cheaper option that performs as well as the market leader.

It was something I really wanted a golf ball expert to discuss for a long time. People relate soft to spinny because they relate soft to feel and how the ball itself feels in hand. Dean explained it very well.

28% decrease in core compression - right? Does Dean recommend a swing speed? Do you know the overall compression of TP 5 and TP 3?
The overall compression of the "old" Penta was 103 (Majestix) - to much for my swingspeed...

Listening to the show now

Talk about synchronicity! I was just thinking this morning about the new TM ball line-up and what the differences were!

28% decrease in core compression - right? Does Dean recommend a swing speed? Do you know the overall compression of TP 5 and TP 3?
The overall compression of the "old" Penta was 103 (Majestix) - to much for my swingspeed...

If you listen to the show, he discusses both balls and what players were finding off the tee. He discusses fitting and ball flight quite a bit.

Great show! A ton of useful information for us there, and very interesting to hear how the Penta name came about. I like most people, assumed it was named Penta as it was a 5 piece ball. Really liked the info on the RBZ ball, seems as if TM spent a lot of time working on this one, and for a lower price point sounds as if it will be a great performer. Really liked the discussion of testing out a ball, starting out at greenside then working your way back to driver, definitely will keep that in mind next time I am trying out a ball. Thanks for the great show!

Can't wait till lunch break so I can listen

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

I am really looking forward to listening to this show after work today. Thanks THP for contuining to bring us such great guests and information.

Well, he's been doing this for a very long time it seems. I can't help but think that the RBZ ball is an evolutionary version of the Burner Tour. That in itself is enough to warrant a demo out of me.

listening to it now....

Just finished listening to the radio show. Lots of great information there, great interview JB. Really looking forward to trying the RBZ ball!!

Back