TaylorMade Project 5 Golf Ball Review Thread

I'm going to be traveling for the next week and won't get a chance to play again until next Saturday. I look forward to seeing comments from the testers that will be playing this weekend. Have fun out there with the Project 5!

All I can test this weekend is whether or not they float. :rain:

All I can test this weekend is whether or not they float. :rain:

Please have positive results on that test!

I'm liking the results so far. I'm curious if a couple of you would be kind enough to give these a run in the awkward 60-70yd range with two different shot types: your higher launched shot like if you were dealing with a front pin placement, and then your lower shot to something like a back pin placement. I'm trying to get an idea of how the stopping power is in both higher shots vs ones you would be inclined to hit low in order to get a release ball toward the hole or even one that comes in hot, bounces and checks up.

Hope one of you won't mind giving that a try for me please!

Please have positive results on that test!

I'm liking the results so far. I'm curious if a couple of you would be kind enough to give these a run in the awkward 60-70yd range with two different shot types: your higher launched shot like if you were dealing with a front pin placement, and then your lower shot to something like a back pin placement. I'm trying to get an idea of how the stopping power is in both higher shots vs ones you would be inclined to hit low in order to get a release ball toward the hole or even one that comes in hot, bounces and checks up.

Hope one of you won't mind giving that a try for me please!
I'll have this covered for you after my round tomorrow, MW. Im always left with a few in between 70 yard shots during my round, it seems, so trying a few shots out when I get a chance shouldnt be a problem.

Awesome War, thanks!

JB, any idea on how the price point on a doz. of these will be?

7-iron
Project 5
ProV1
Z-Star XV
Hex Black
B330
Carry Max
Carry Min
Carry Avg
Side Spin Max
Side Spin Min
Side Spin Avg
Back Spin Max
Back Spin Min
Back Spin Avg
Height Max
Height Min
Height Avg
Head Speed avg

Here are the 7-iron numbers between the five golf balls. The Project 5 compared pretty well to the other golf balls in that I had the highest carry average with this ball. The club head speed was also fastest when I was hitting the Project 5, which I'm not sure if it was subconsciously like that or not. Obviously the ball would not have an affect on clubhead speed. I also had the highest average of side spin and the lowest average of backspin. I am anxious to get this out on the course and compare it to my findings on the monitor.

I was a bit surprised by the backspin numbers as many other testers felt that the ball checked up well and had quite a bit of bite on the ball. I truly tried to put a consistent swing on all shots, although I will get the mis-hits. I removed the worst 2-3 shots per ball (depending on how bad the hits were), so these shots reflect the best shots out of the sample.

Height and carry were measured in yards, spin numbers were measured in RPMs. I hit the golf balls in the following order: ProV1, B330, Project 5, Hex Black, and Srixon Z-Star XV. I didn't really feel fatigued during the 7-iron swings, but it's very possible that it was a factor toward the last few swings.

I'll let the numbers speak for themselves, but let me know if you have any questions. I swear I usually hit my 7-iron at least 200, but it was pretty windy in the simulator :alien:.

Driver numbers will be coming up shortly.

Here are the driver numbers from my simulator session. Full disclosure: my driver has been a mess for the past few months. I've been fighting a draw for the first time ever, but I was equally crappy with all my shots.

Similar to the irons, the Project 5 was up near the top in carry distance. The side spin average was also was in the highest 2 in and the Project 5 had the least amount of backspin. This is good to see to me, at least, that the numbers seem to all fall in line when comparing the specs between the 7-iron and the driver. I'd obviously like to get the side spin down, but I am interested to see this in action on the course. Average clubhead speed was very similar across all of the shots, so the comparisons between distance numbers should hold some validity.

The process with the driver was the same as the 7-iron test in that I hit 7-8 shots with each ball and removed the worst 2. I hit the golf balls in the following order: ProV1, B330, Project 5, Hex Black, Z-Star XV. Thanks for reading, and let me know if you have any questions. Hopefully I can get the ball out during an actual round this week. I am planning on getting out to the pitching green tomorrow morning, so I will update my findings if I get out for some more practice.

Driver
Project 5
ProV1
Z-Star XV
Hex Black
B330
Carry Max
Carry Min
Carry Avg
Side Spin Max
Side Spin Min
Side Spin Avg
Back Spin Max
Back Spin Min
Back Spin Avg
Height Max
Height Min
Height Avg
Head Speed Avg

Interesting numbers. Seems to be right in line with all of the other high end balls. I am a little surprised at the 7 iron back spin numbers. However, all of my testing for spin has been on short game shots. Looks like Wednesday I'll be able to get out for a full round (finally) and do some on course tests.

Very solid testing the Jank, Seems this ball is as good as the top end brands which is good to see.

Nice data compilation, jank. The driver side spin numbers seem to correlate with my findings with the Project 5.

Very good hard data Jank. The side spin seems kind of high with the 7i. Were you hitting some hard draws? It looks like the P5 is a very good ball by all of the numbers compared to the others. I figured the max height would have been higher, but I really like seeing that it's right there with the other industry leaders. It also looks like they've got it to be a little less spinny off the tee. Excellent findings, I can't wait to hit this ball when it's released.

Most of my shots were draws. I've been fighting a draw for a bit for the first time ever for a few weeks now. Still haven't adjusted since I can't rely on it. The draws were pretty consistent except for with the iron shots on the hex blacks. I was striping those pretty straight, but it was just a good few swings. I'd really like to get these out on the course and I have an outside shot at getting out on the course this Monday although I would expect more of the same on course. I was surprised with the low amount of backspin compared to the other balls that I hit.

Most of my shots were draws. I've been fighting a draw for a bit for the first time ever for a few weeks now. Still haven't adjusted since I can't rely on it. The draws were pretty consistent except for with the iron shots on the hex blacks. I was striping those pretty straight, but it was just a good few swings. I'd really like to get these out on the course and I have an outside shot at getting out on the course this Monday although I would expect more of the same on course. I was surprised with the low amount of backspin compared to the other balls that I hit.

Nice, yeah I definitely like what I'm seeing with the spin numbers. I'm interested to see how they treat you on the course. Looking forward to future updates.

Taylormade Project 5’s vs Bridgeston Tour B330-RX, Short Game, 12/1/12

The rain broke for a few hours today so I had my first real session with the Project 5’s. Conditions were not ideal, soggy would be an understatement. If you watched any of the World Challenge today it was similar, but I think we got a lot more water. The greens were really soft and pitch marks came easy. Around the green there was a lot of casual water so I pick my spots carefully. I had lots of towels with me and dried the balls and club between shots. The testing was with my 56 and 60 degree vokey’s. The clubs are a few years old and I’d say the grooves are in average condition. I started with some chip shots from various lies and didn’t see a noticeable difference between the 2 balls. I could get a little spin from the fairway lies from both balls but in the rough I didn’t see any checking. I hit shots from 4 different locations and the distance ranged from 5-15 yard shots. The results of this test was the balls performed similiarly. Either one would be fine for my game.

I decided it was time to move back a little to see if I could get either of the balls to dance. I found a dry spot from a tight lie that allowed me to hit the ball about 30 yards to the opposite side of the green. The landing area was slightly down hill. I used my 60 degree wedge and took 30 shots from here, 15 with the B330-RX and 15 with the Project 5’s. I started to see how these balls reacted and could visually see a difference. Here’s a video of 2 purely struck shots back to back that landed in about the same position.

<a href="http://youtu.be/mksAcHz-9S8" target="_blank">[video=youtube_share;mksAcHz-9S8]http://youtu.be/mksAcHz-9S8[/video]

As you can see the Project 5 had more bite and even pulled back a little bit. I didn’t get the 330-RX to suck back once, but with the Project 5 it did it 3 times out of the 15 shots. The project 5 can really be spun if you want it to. Conclusion for today's testing, the Project 5 spins more than the Bridgestone R330-RX. If the rain stays away tomorrow, I plan on getting out on the course to try more shots.

Good stuff guys. I like what you guys are doing. Seems like we have several different approaches but seeing similar patterns of performance.

Great info so far guys...keep up the good work!

I have a question as far as the ball flight goes off the driver.
Does it jump off the club and climb steeply or does it come off a little lower and then climb to the apex?

Thanks!

Had this one out on the course today for some testing. Will have a full writeup once I get to my computer, but I have some mixed feelings on the ball from some of the results I saw today.

Does it jump off the club and climb steeply or does it come off a little lower and then climb to the apex?

Thanks!

The Project 5 climbs pretty steeply off of the driver for me. But, that is my typical driver ball flight. I will add that I think the Project 5 climbs a little higher than other comparable balls. I do not see a decrease in distance, though.

Had this one out on the course today for some testing. Will have a full writeup once I get to my computer, but I have some mixed feelings on the ball from some of the results I saw today.

Looking forward to it Hawk. Haven't played a TaylorMade ball since they discontinued the LDP Reds

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks!

The Project 5 climbs pretty steeply off of the driver for me. But, that is my typical driver ball flight. I will add that I think the Project 5 climbs a little higher than other comparable balls. I do not see a decrease in distance, though.

Thanks ATL !

I was able to put my Project 5 balls into play today , I love the ball and will update my review this afternoon. Got a few things to do with the kid today but will update around 6-7 pm... Thank You THP and Taylor Made .

I finally got to put the ball in play today and decided on the way to the course I would put the ball on the tee on the first hole and play the whole round instead of doing certain shots from different places without worrying about losing them. The round went very well for me shooting an 84 from the back tees at Sun City. From the first tee shot I knew this ball was gonna be good by piping one with a slight draw right down the middle . The ball felt like nothing when hitting the sweet spot of my driver .. I was able to keep the ball in play all day until the 10th hole when i pulled a drive slightly off the fairway into a big ol' collection of leaves and could not find it. That would be the only ball i lost today as the ball just kept finding fairways and greens all day. On the 4th hole I did hit into some trees from the tee box and from the trees the ball bounced on the cart path but did very little damage to the ball with just a very small scratch , no big deal .The durability of the ball was fantastic for me . After losing one on the 10th hole I pulled my second ball out and finished the back 9 with out noticing any marks , nicks or scratches on the ball at all . From shots with the Driver, Irons and wedges the ball was solid for me throughout my whole round .

Driver : The ball was solid all day performing just like any other premium ball i have played before . Miss hits still had good carry and when hitting the sweet spot I couldn't really feel the ball . My normal shot from the tee is a fairly straight shot to a slight draw . The ball rolled out well when hitting draws without too much side spin for me and the carry was great . I liked how it preformed from the tee box.

Irons : This is where I fell in love with the Project 5 golf ball , If hit in the center of the club face the feeling was sweet and on miss hits it still felt great and still produced a fair amount of spin when landing on the green. # 9 at Sun City was a short par 3 from 123 yds. I hit a solid 9 iron to 6 feet and the ball just rolled 6 inches after landing producing a birdie on the hole :) . I didn't really hit to many long iron shots over a 5 iron but with all my irons the ball was checking up very nicely . A very good ball with Iron shots when struck anywhere near the center of the club with a nice ball flight for me .

Wedges : Another area of my game where the ball just preformed well and like glue sticking when hitting the sweet spot with lots of good action on the greens when you would want it. From chips to full wedges the ball was listening when i ask it to bite or go . I didn't hit into any bunkers today so i can't comment on the balls performance from the bunkers. I hit a chip shot from 10 yds off the green with an 8 iron today landing 3 feet on the green and the ball snuggled right up to the hole to 6 inches giving me my second birdie of the day .

Putting : It was not the ball but the puttee. Is all i can say ...lol.

Today was a good day at the course for me compared to my last few rounds where any score was possible . I haven't played in a few weeks due to travel and the holiday but my ball striking for me was fantastic today, putting is where i had alot issues today with the greens rolling about 10-11 very fast and if you was off line by an inch you were going a good 4-5 feet past the hole and the pin placements were right up there with Bears Best very tricky. With my first round in the books with the Project 5 golf ball there really isn't anything I can say bad about the ball as it was fantastic for me today and the durability was superb my second ball still looks brand new after 9 full holes with it .

Thank You to THP for choosing me to be a tester and to Taylor Made for providing the balls . I still have 4 quaility golf balls left and lots of golf to play with them so I can do better reviews and hit some different shots I didn't get to hit today as I was with my normal sunday group of scratch golfers winning a little cash in our pts. based scramble , I scored 23 pts. (+5) in our scoring system with the project 5 ball winning $50 against scratch golfers . There is still alot of testing I can do based off today's results and I can't wait to hit the Project 5's again next weekend .

Last edited:
Since I only have one ball left to test I have been reserving it for pitching and chipping mainly. On Friday I hit a 9I with it into a green after hitting my actual ball I was playing and it seemed to hit once and stopped about 3 feet from the hole. Other than that shot I have just been chipping with it and notice that it has very similar spin to any of the high end tour balls.

Today I took the Project 5, Srixon Z Star and a TM TP5 and did some short chipping with them. All I can really say is that it was hard to tell a difference between the 3 balls as they all seemed to check and roll the same. I will try and get some more data with longer irons this week if I can get out and play a few rounds before Myrtle Beach this weekend. Thanks again to THP and TM!!!!

I like the looks of the Project 5 as far as the dimple coverage and reduced seam goes. Much more uniform coverage it seems and the dimples are definitely different looking. Look forward to hearing just a little bit more before I decide if there is a sure trend in the way these perform for people.

Back