TaylorMade R1 Driver Review - Forum Testing Thread

I got to a golf store yesterday for the first time this year and was checking out all the new drivers. I've gotta say that just by putting clubs down on the carpet and addressing them, the R1 addressed the ball the best. The face looked beautifully square compared to all the other ones I looked at, but I just HATE the graphics. If I were to acquire one, it would be receiving a new paint job the moment in came home.

I just wondered if anyone had tried the Matrix RUL (60 or 50) in the R1 and how it worked out?

I got to a golf store yesterday for the first time this year and was checking out all the new drivers. I've gotta say that just by putting clubs down on the carpet and addressing them, the R1 addressed the ball the best. The face looked beautifully square compared to all the other ones I looked at, but I just HATE the graphics. If I were to acquire one, it would be receiving a new paint job the moment in came home.

Honestly, the crown graphics disappear after about one range session. You barely notice them.

After using the R1 over the last few months, I actually like the racing stripe graphics a lot -- much more than I thought I would.

Now, the sound of the R1 is another issue altogether. Hard to get used to.

Honestly, the crown graphics disappear after about one range session. You barely notice them.

After using the R1 over the last few months, I actually like the racing stripe graphics a lot -- much more than I thought I would.

Definitely agree with ATL, I really was not keen on even testing the R1 at first due to the graphics. I am so pleased I did try it as it is just an awesome driver and the graphics I do not really notice at address and dare I say it I have even come to really like them!!

Yeah, but just like with the RocketBladez irons, I notice that the sound is basically normal if I just hit the ball in the middle of the face.

First round out with mine today (R shaft, LH). Played it 10.5 and 1 click closed. Well struck drives were the longest of my life, 240-250, and they really wanted to go straight. Very pleased!

A guy at the range was hitting a R1 and I asked if I could hit some balls with it. He was really frustrated because he was hitting it way way way high and way way way right each and every time, so was happy to see someone else try it. Golf GALAXY HAD JUST FIT HIM and I said leave it at 10.5, move heavy weight to toe and set it to square.
I hit around 15 balls, hit them well with a baby fade. Distance, Trajectory and accuracy were very good. I was surprised that I did not have to do any tinkering with the settings since the consensus on this driver seems to be that you have to try lots of settings before giving up on the R1. Guess I was just lucky. Since I am well satisfied with my two drivers not interested in switching to the R1 but the R1 performed great for me.

A guy at the range was hitting a R1 and I asked if I could hit some balls with it. He was really frustrated because he was hitting it way way way high and way way way right each and every time, so was happy to see someone else try it. Golf GALAXY HAD JUST FIT HIM and I said leave it at 10.5, move heavy weight to toe and set it to square.
I hit around 15 balls, hit them well with a baby fade. Distance, Trajectory and accuracy were very good. I was surprised that I did not have to do any tinkering with the settings since the consensus on this driver seems to be that you have to try lots of settings before giving up on the R1. Guess I was just lucky. Since I am well satisfied with my two drivers not interested in switching to the R1 but the R1 performed great for me.

So he just sucked then?

So he just sucked then?

Can't say that about a fellow golfer, but the consistant horrible pattern of his drives is what first drew my attention to him. I felt bad for him because it was obvious to me he just got the R1 and I started talking to him. He said when they fit him the numbers were good. I tried to console him by saying many feel you really have to tinker with the multiple settings before finding something that works. He made changes to the settings and weights but nothing helped. When he left he decided that he would be returning the R1 TO GOLF GALAXY.

Can't say that about a fellow golfer, but the consistant horrible pattern of his drives is what first drew my attention to him. I felt bad for him because it was obvious to me he just got the R1 and I started talking to him. He said when they fit him the numbers were good. I tried to console him by saying many feel you really have to tinker with the multiple settings before finding something that works. He made changes to the settings and weights but nothing helped. When he left he decided that he would be returning the R1 TO GOLF GALAXY.

Fitting and tinkering at the shop against the computerized GC2 foresight devices is not accurate for trajectory and ball flight. When I got fitted for my Callaway Razr fit xtreme, I showed a natural draw and the fitter wanted to reduce it just a tad bit. So he put the heavier weight on the toe. I got out to the golf course the next day to try it, and every single shot, ended up going right. Got home swapped, the weights, and went to the range the next day and the natural draw came back. I wouldn't trust those computer models too much. Perhaps the station I was at had some weird setup or calibration issues.

this driver always seems to surprise me . I haven't been hitting it in the sweet spot in the last few rounds mainly toe hits but the thing still gets out there and puts me right next to my playing partners who hit their drivers solid. it def doesn't feel good when I miss hit it or sound good but the result is worth it id say.

Going to be reading through this thread over the next couple of days and weeks and will be posting some of my thoughts as well. Still in shock that I will have one of these clubs! Wow shout out to bmik33 my awesome playing partner from the AC Invitational.

My current gamer is a Callaway Diablo 10.5 with a stiff shaft which is I believe is almost 2 years old. I am interested to compare the results between the 2.

Looking forward to reading through this and getting some great background knowledge.

Going to be reading through this thread over the next couple of days and weeks and will be posting some of my thoughts as well. Still in shock that I will have one of these clubs! Wow shout out to bmik33 my awesome playing partner from the AC Invitational.

My current gamer is a Callaway Diablo 10.5 with a stiff shaft which is I believe is almost 2 years old. I am interested to compare the results between the 2.

Looking forward to reading through this and getting some great background knowledge.
Congrats on the W, that is awesome.

As you read the thread keep an eye out for comments about low spin = playing more loft. I'm still newer to the club but I have definitely found that stuff to be accurate. This is my first adjustable driver and I like it. It has been interesting. There are certain things about the club that I might say I don't hate but don't especially wow me either. But I do seem to find the fairway a lot more than with prior drivers - and I've gamed several - and that is a great thing. Solid driver.

Congrats, Crest on the Win and winning the R1. I just bought one on Monday. I echo tequila's comments about adjusting the loft above your current 10.5*. Coming from a 10.5* driver, we found that the 12* setting gave me the launch and ball flight I needed and liked.

One question for everyone here. I had my first round with the R1 yesterday, didn't hit any range balls, and my first shot put a tee or ball mark on the face that I couldn't swipe off with a wet cloth. Does anyone have any tips for removing or covering up marks like this from the black face of the R1?
Forgive me if this as been covered elsewhere in this thread.

I got the adaptor sleeve installed on my B Asha last night and I'm hoping to get to the range today after work.

One question for everyone here. I had my first round with the R1 yesterday, didn't hit any range balls, and my first shot put a tee or ball mark on the face that I couldn't swipe off with a wet cloth. Does anyone have any tips for removing or covering up marks like this from the black face of the R1?

Mine has the same thing. I hit a few crappy range balls that left some marks on the face. Now it has character.

Congrats, Crest on the Win and winning the R1. I just bought one on Monday. I echo tequila's comments about adjusting the loft above your current 10.5*. Coming from a 10.5* driver, we found that the 12* setting gave me the launch and ball flight I needed and liked.

Thanks man. I can speak about the dark face of the TM clubs, I tested the RBZ Stage 2 3 wood and realized that with the darker face the marks are going to show up regardless. I stopped worrying about it.

Kinda want to go hit the R1 at Dick's after work..... hmmmm

Crest do it bro! As far as the marks on the face, I've gamed mine several times. Some of the marks took a bit of elbow freeze, but seem to disappear. I put some car wax on it so the. Surface has a little extra coating to help with the scuffs

As much as I wanted to like this driver I am far more consistent with my R11S.

That being said, I will be selling my stiff flex R1. Please let me know if interested... I will be taking pictures and posting a thread.

I got the adaptor sleeve installed on my B Asha last night and I'm hoping to get to the range today after work.

Well, the range session was an epic fail, as the adaptor sleeve broke after about 15-20 balls. I sent an email to the seller, we'll see what comes of that. In the meantime, back to the stock shaft :)

Last edited:
I hit the R1 yesterday at golf smith and I just didn't care for the feel or looks of the head shape at address. The results didn't wow me either but my swing was admittedly off.

The head graphics didn't bug me at all and I didn't expect that they would.

I'll swing it again, hopefully with a better next time.

I hit the R1 yesterday at golf smith and I just didn't care for the feel or looks of the head shape at address. The results didn't wow me either but my swing was admittedly off.

The head graphics didn't bug me at all and I didn't expect that they would.

I'll swing it again, hopefully with a better next time.
This is a club that needs to be hit outside. Results tend to trump the aesthetics and that stuff isn't as evident on a machine.

This is a club that needs to be hit outside. Results tend to trump the aesthetics and that stuff isn't as evident on a machine.

Not sure I'll get that chance. more than anything the feel of the club is what I didn't care for. I didn't like the r11 or r11s either.

Not sure I'll get that chance. more than anything the feel of the club is what I didn't care for. I didn't like the r11 or r11s either.

I didn't like the R11 or R11s, either. But, I really like the R1.

You definitely need to hit it outside and play with the settings. I'm not sure any tester liked the R1 at its stock settings.

I have to hit this with the b.asha in it to get the sensation! Just like a peppermint patty

Back