TaylorMade R1 Driver Review - Forum Testing Thread

How is the Taylor Made R1 driver???

How is the Taylor Made R1 driver???

I am thinking of buying one, but the white head and design doesn't set up to my eye. If the results of the club outweigh the looks, I am going to try it.

Thanks fore! your feedback

-F

Nothing out weighted the looks for me.

I am thinking of buying one, but the white head and design doesn't set up to my eye. If the results of the club outweigh the looks, I am going to try it.

-F

First off, welcome to THP. Glad to have you.

THP sent out a bunch of R1 drivers to regular golfers and in this thread, you will find all of their reviews. Should be very helpful.

I merged your thread with this one to make it easier for you to access and get the info you are looking for.

Again, welcome to THP.

usa4u5eb.jpg

My R1 is now paired with the B Asha 4s... Headed to the range to try it out..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Did you mean for the graphics to be oriented that way?

I am curious to hear what you think about the shaft / R1 combo.

-F
This is my fourth driver in just under two years, so i have a lot to compare it to.

If you hit the ball straight and are looking for a bomber, IMHO this isn't it.

If you have directional issues and are primarily concerned about finding more fairways this is a great option because its unparalleled adjustability lets you dial it in for you.

I really did not like the graphics - still don't, actually - but hitting fairways has a way of making you not care.

Did you mean for the graphics to be oriented that way?

I am curious to hear what you think about the shaft / R1 combo.

Honestly not sure what orientation they will end up in. Been playing around with the loft setting. That was on 12 and I was definitely launching it to high on that loft at the range. Got best results at the 10 degree setting. So far i really like the shaft it felt great. Lot better dispersion than i was seeing with the stock phenom.. Tomorrow morning is 18 so see how it goes on the course.

Loving the B Asha R1 combo. Just had my best driving day ever. I really feel like I can go after the ball with this shaft. Only missed one fairway today and it was just a little left. Was consistently putting it out there 250 to 260 which is great for me..

More of the same for me today. I had several that bled a little right but were either in the FW or were in the first cut and still very playable.

My last three rounds have involved bad putting and bad iron play but my index has actually gone down .7 points. Upon reflection I think a lot of it is that I have been playing from the fairways a lot more than before and not hitting any tee shots OB or into the trees.

have searched a few different posts on the stock shaft rip 55...anyway my question is does anyone ever use that golfworks shaft oem 4 digit code, when searching for shaft specs?

reason i ask is that i am interested in the r1 and fall usually between regular and stiff.

they list the regular flex shaft as a 3B2S (77-92 mph driver, both distance and control, med height and slice correction)
the stiff they have as a 4B2M 93-107 mph driver, both distance and control, med height, and no correction.

here is a link to the page http://www.golfworks.com/article.asp_Q_ai_E_496
and the oem shaft listing for taylor made http://www.golfworks.com/article.asp_Q_ai_E_376

well my misses are usually left and more hooks and pulls then anything so based on that i think i am out for the regular flex rip 55 on the R1...plus some others on here have said the shaft feels a little light in flex.

anyone care to chime in?

current driver is an R9 supertri tp with a aldila rip alpha 65 with regular flex...also cant just go get fitted as i am a few hours away from any reputable fitters.

My driver SS is low 90's, often right between these two flexes also. I do not think the shaft is on the lighter end of the flex spectrum at all, at least between R and S. The stock stiff shaft (which I have) isn't a board, but it isn't particularly active at the tip. If the R flex is similar and you equate active tip to the lower flex then you may be fine with the R. I don't hate the stock shaft but it is probably just a little stiff at the tip for my liking, sometimes creating the impression that it isn't especially responsive, etc. Also, remember that the club is SUPER adjustable and this will help (but not fix) your miss. One of the benefits of that adjustability is we are not 100% stuck with the old dynamic of needing stiffer flex shaft to help with hooks and vice versa.

hort22: I was recently on a launch monitor and found my driver SS to be in the 92-94 range. I tested the R1 in the stiff flex and found it to fit me pretty darn well.

Loving the B Asha R1 combo. Just had my best driving day ever. I really feel like I can go after the ball with this shaft. Only missed one fairway today and it was just a little left. Was consistently putting it out there 250 to 260 which is great for me..

Impressive results, safe to say that you prefer the B Asha over the stock Phenom shaft quite a bit then.

I just purchased a B Asha shaft that I am going to tip for the R1 to try out as well, looking forward to it.

My driver SS is low 90's, often right between these two flexes also. I do not think the shaft is on the lighter end of the flex spectrum at all, at least between R and S. The stock stiff shaft (which I have) isn't a board, but it isn't particularly active at the tip. If the R flex is similar and you equate active tip to the lower flex then you may be fine with the R. I don't hate the stock shaft but it is probably just a little stiff at the tip for my liking, sometimes creating the impression that it isn't especially responsive, etc. Also, remember that the club is SUPER adjustable and this will help (but not fix) your miss. One of the benefits of that adjustability is we are not 100% stuck with the old dynamic of needing stiffer flex shaft to help with hooks and vice versa.

the rip alpha that i currently play in regular probably isnt going to have as active tip as even the stiff rip phenom? does that sound about right? all i know is i hit low line drives for the most part, so maybe a little more active tip wouldnt hurt.

the rip alpha that i currently play in regular probably isnt going to have as active tip as even the stiff rip phenom? does that sound about right? all i know is i hit low line drives for the most part, so maybe a little more active tip wouldnt hurt.

I can't really speak to Alpha vs. Phenom.

Many on the forum have found best results with the club set to a higher loft. I'm not really sure how that will play out for you with the shaft choice and existing tendency to hit lower shots. I put a B Asha regular flex, tipped maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch (which is supposed to stiffen it up, but still much more active than the stock shaft) in the R1. It may be too early to draw any concrete conclusions but so far I think I see more difference with dispersion than trajectory. But again, that is still in the TBD category.

Any chance you can demo the club?

Anyone have their normal ball flight (draw or fade) change since they've tested the R1. Either or purpose or just over time. Every time I've tried this club out I've loved it, just can't pull the trigger at that price.

Impressive results, safe to say that you prefer the B Asha over the stock Phenom shaft quite a bit then.

I just purchased a B Asha shaft that I am going to tip for the R1 to try out as well, looking forward to it.

I've really enjoyed the R1/B Asha combo. It's a little firmer than the RIP Phenom 55 (which, IMO, is a very good stock shaft), and I feel like I'm a little more consistent with it. I also feel like I can swing a little harder with it and not spray the ball around, which I will do with "whippier" shafts.

Of course, if I'm not swinging well, I hit the R1 poorly. But, as long as I just have a semblance of a swing, I tend to hit the R1 very well. In fact, I've really been struggling with irons and wedges as of late, but the R1 has still been a pretty good performer.

Anyone have their normal ball flight (draw or fade) change since they've tested the R1. Either or purpose or just over time. Every time I've tried this club out I've loved it, just can't pull the trigger at that price.

I tend to hit more of a draw with the R1, whereas I hit more of a fade with my prior drivers (Classic, 910). (Of course, my amateur swing will produce some fades as well...)

The dispersion is pretty tight, though. I'm not hitting a lot of sweeping hooks with it. When I'm swinging okay, there's just not a lot of side movement either way.

Tm sales rep came by yesterday and showed us the new black r1 they going to release later this summer. Pretty snappy. No changes just the whit paint with subdued graphics.

Definitely... I actually quit gaming the R1 for awhile and went back to my anser because I just couldn't get along with the stock shaft. It's a whole different animal with the B Asha and its definitely staying in the bag now...

Tm sales rep came by yesterday and showed us the new black r1 they going to release later this summer. Pretty snappy. No changes just the whit paint with subdued graphics.

Black R1 that would be hot... Was thinking of sending mine to continental golf to get murdered out.

I've really enjoyed the R1/B Asha combo. It's a little firmer than the RIP Phenom 55 (which, IMO, is a very good stock shaft), and I feel like I'm a little more consistent with it. I also feel like I can swing a little harder with it and not spray the ball around, which I will do with "whippier" shafts.

Of course, if I'm not swinging well, I hit the R1 poorly. But, as long as I just have a semblance of a swing, I tend to hit the R1 very well. In fact, I've really been struggling with irons and wedges as of late, but the R1 has still been a pretty good performer.

I wanted to swing this combo down in Orlando, quite honestly the stock 55g RIP seems to be work quite well for me. But I'm always looking to see what else works well.

Black R1 that would be hot... Was thinking of sending mine to continental golf to get murdered out.

Thought I saw a picture that had the black head with a red r and white 1 on the heel side of the crown graphics. Hmm, limited edition?

have searched a few different posts on the stock shaft rip 55...anyway my question is does anyone ever use that golfworks shaft oem 4 digit code, when searching for shaft specs?

reason i ask is that i am interested in the r1 and fall usually between regular and stiff.

they list the regular flex shaft as a 3B2S (77-92 mph driver, both distance and control, med height and slice correction)
the stiff they have as a 4B2M 93-107 mph driver, both distance and control, med height, and no correction.

here is a link to the page http://www.golfworks.com/article.asp_Q_ai_E_496
and the oem shaft listing for taylor made http://www.golfworks.com/article.asp_Q_ai_E_376

well my misses are usually left and more hooks and pulls then anything so based on that i think i am out for the regular flex rip 55 on the R1...plus some others on here have said the shaft feels a little light in flex.

anyone care to chime in?

current driver is an R9 supertri tp with a aldila rip alpha 65 with regular flex...also cant just go get fitted as i am a few hours away from any reputable fitters.

My SS is in the 85-90 MPH range, and I find the R flex in the stock Phenom slightly stouter than some of the other R flex stock driver shafts on the market now (X Hot, AMP Cell, the Stiff flex in my previous CG Black); but I like it this way, I have a little bit more control. Like you, I tend to miss left. I imagine the Phenom R flex is less stout then your RIP Alpha R flex. To me, a good comparison shaft is the Diamana 'illima in my old Titleist 910 D2 driver. The phenom may be higher launching than the 'illima, but I have the loft dialed up to 12* in the R1 due to the lower spinning head vs. the 10.5* that I usually played on the 910 D2.

I can't say I had my normal ball flight change since I tended to hit mostly straight to slight draws with my previous driver, but I'm more consistently hitting draws with the R1, and unless I hit it low on the toe, the draws are staying in the fairway. Full disclosure, I do have the R1 dialed up to 12* and the "compass" (face angle) set at 1 open which has the face set at around 2* closed, which will promote a draw. If it helps, TM has knocked $50 off the price this week. :devil:
I was like you, when I first hit the R1, I really liked how consistently well and straight I hit it after a few adjustment swings. I said, dammit, I would like the $400 driver best. I resisted about a month before I finally bought it, but I don't regret it so far. Hit 11 out of 13 fairways on a windy day today.

Back