TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

Sorry for all these questions but i really don't want to screw anything up in this club.

Twist until you hear a very distinct click. The white wrenches (R9 and R11) are the only ones that work for the R11 series. They will torque it to 40 in lbs while the yellow (R7) only go to 30.

Ok I am having this issue also am i just not tightening on the wrench enough? It seems like I am getting it nice and tight.

It will click. I was scared to when I tried it. You don't have to make it click, but it will. The click is just saying "alright that's tight enough" If you don't get it all the to the click then it will still be ok. It won't fly off unless it's super loose and wobbling around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super I finally got it to click thanks for all the help.

I love these fairways. I did not think they could improve drastically over the R9 (sensational), but they did. I get a medium/higher ball flight with my ASP open and 1* higher. The only thing that really matters after hitting is seeing how straight the ball goes. It goes straight

That's my next setting to try. I yearn to hit this thing again!

Tap before talk.

It will click. I was scared to when I tried it. You don't have to make it click, but it will. The click is just saying "alright that's tight enough" If you don't get it all the to the click then it will still be ok. It won't fly off unless it's super loose and wobbling around.

You are misinterpreting the click. The click signals you have reached the correct torque.

You are misinterpreting the click. The click signals you have reached the correct torque.

Yes I know that. But that still doesn't mean you have to tighten it all the way to the click. If you leave it short it will still be ok. I don't think I tightened the ASP to click everytime and it was ok. I'm not recommending you don't tighten it to the clicking sound just saying that it's ok if you don't quite get it there.

I had a practice session today at golftec, and I took about 15 or 20 swings with the new R11 driver. Really, color aside, it reminds me a lot of the original R9 in look and feel. The sound is very R9ish too, maybe a touch more muted. (More "thwack" then "ping). I like the sound a lot, but I liked the R9 sound too. The Diamana ahina shaft is very stout, but it didn't feel boardy to me. I think its going to be a winner. I hope to get it out on the range tomorrow to really see how it performs, and will certainly bring the wrench with me to play with the settings.

I had a practice session today at golftec, and I took about 15 or 20 swings with the new R11 driver. Really, color aside, it reminds me a lot of the original R9 in look and feel. The sound is very R9ish too, maybe a touch more muted. (More "thwack" then "ping). I like the sound a lot, but I liked the R9 sound too. The Diamana ahina shaft is very stout, but it didn't feel boardy to me. I think its going to be a winner. I hope to get it out on the range tomorrow to really see how it performs, and will certainly bring the wrench with me to play with the settings.

G4L I am glad to hear that you got to hit the ahina shaft today. Stout is a good way to describe it. I got to hit the driver again and I am just liking it more and more. I haven't been able to get any good numbers on my drive distances, but I am definitely getting my driver grooving. Sometimes I feel that because this shaft is so stout that I need to swing at it harder, but that just isn't true. I can't wait to get out on the course and really get to see what I am working with. I loved it when I took it out in San Diego, but I am just itching to get out and give it a whirl. I am also interested in seeing what settings you decide on cause from what I gather you and I seem to have similar needs from our equipment. Hope it treats you well and when I am able to get out I will post a more detailed review.

Yes I know that. But that still doesn't mean you have to tighten it all the way to the click. If you leave it short it will still be ok. I don't think I tightened the ASP to click everytime and it was ok. I'm not recommending you don't tighten it to the clicking sound just saying that it's ok if you don't quite get it there.

Why not tighten to the recommend torque?
I view it as you are not tightening properly until you reach the recommended torque spec.

Why not tighten to the recommend torque?
I view it as you are not tightening properly until you reach the recommended torque spec.

Not disagreeing with you about not tightening it to the click because you should, but more-so letting him know it won't fly off if it's not quite all the way to the click. Know what I mean?

A couple of times I thought I was going to break it if I kept tightening it so I left it alone and it was ok.

Not disagreeing with you about not tightening it to the click because you should, but more-so letting him know it won't fly off if it's not quite all the way to the click. Know what I mean?

A couple of times I thought I was going to break it if I kept tightening it so I left it alone and it was ok.

It wont break, thats why the wrench clicks to not let you go enough to break it. I tighten everything until i hear the click and then click it one more time to be sure. After some use stuff does lossen up a little bit so if you dont tighten it to the click at first you very well could have something go flying off towards the end of your round.

One thing I love about this round of testing is that TM sent so many different types of clubs out to the testers. Great idea, imo. I've never pondered a 7 wood before, but I'd be lying if I were to say I wasn't right now. Also, loving the 4 wood reviews. There just seems to be something for everybody here. You all are doing a great job. Kudos to TM for understanding the importance of the testing process. Definitely invaluable to golfers everywhere.

I'm not going to be able to get on the course or range this weekend to play around with the settings on my R11 5 Wood but I do plan on getting out there on Monday so I will have more to report back then. I am really looking forward to trying out some different settings and see how they work out for me.

I'm trying to remember but I think I recall from the directions that came with my Supertri that you need to hear the click for it to be "Safe". I'm sure your fine though without hearing the click.

Bridges I know exactly what you are saying. It does seem like a lot of torque. I did the same thing the first time I tightened something. I am sure if someone saw me that would have wondered why I was making such a weird face. I was so nervous that I was going to break it.

I'm trying to remember but I think I recall from the directions that came with my Supertri that you need to hear the click for it to be "Safe". I'm sure your fine though without hearing the click.

I would of course tighten until you hear the click. If you don't hear it you should return it to avoid problems down the road. You really need to give it a hard turn at the end.

ive used torque wrenches in the past (automotive kind) to tighten lug nuts on my car. And there you have to tighten to the click, where the click is the amount of lbs-in you want. *my VW was like 89nm (metric i know lol)

After your wrench hit that - it wouldnt tighten anymore.

I have no idea how a tiny wrench like TM's does that - Bc it doesnt look like there are any moving parts. Im in the same boat with ya all - everytime i adjust my super -tri; I think, god, this is going to strip the screws and/or break one! it feels like its waaay too much torque.

I just cant help but wonder if its set "too high" just to prevent the over-tightening. I put a good turn on it and it feels solid - but then i bear down and try for the click.. saying a silent prayer each time lol

**also when Im cleaning my head after a round - i pull out the wrench and check if any are loose. Since checking this often, ive never had to re-tighten ... But once i heard a rattle last year - and one of the weights was a bit loose. I thought something had broken off in the head. But it was just a loose weight.

So much great info in this thread! I'm loving the results here. It's really hard not to start pondering one of these, driver and fairway. Great job by all!

Thanks for the tip. I tighten the hell out of it and didn't hear a click so I thought I was doing something wrong. The ASP does what its built for I just didn't know if the click would hinder performance. So far it hasn't and I've gained almost 30+ yards on my old driver. Mainly because my spin rate is down a ton. Insane club, insane engineering, and insane performance. Cheers Tmag!

G4L I am glad to hear that you got to hit the ahina shaft today. Stout is a good way to describe it. I got to hit the driver again and I am just liking it more and more. I haven't been able to get any good numbers on my drive distances, but I am definitely getting my driver grooving. Sometimes I feel that because this shaft is so stout that I need to swing at it harder, but that just isn't true. I can't wait to get out on the course and really get to see what I am working with. I loved it when I took it out in San Diego, but I am just itching to get out and give it a whirl. I am also interested in seeing what settings you decide on cause from what I gather you and I seem to have similar needs from our equipment. Hope it treats you well and when I am able to get out I will post a more detailed review.

Yeah, I'll definitely post my on range results with the different settings. When I go at my driver hard, I tend to have a harder time closing the face in time causing a fade, so to start I'll be leaving the 10 gram weight in the heel. If I'm still fading it, I may play with the ASP plate and or the FCT. So much to play with, its going to be fun. Tomorrow after my "honey do" list I'll be hitting a bucket or 2 at the range for sure.

Today I tried the R11 with the Blur TP X flex and this may have completely changed my tune (pun intended) on this driver. I started with the 9 degree head and took the loft down to 8 degrees. I recently learned that with the R11 when you lower the loft it actually opens the face. I absolutely love this aspect of the FCT. I left the ASP and MWT neutral. So it was time to hit some balls and this thing was beast mode! Out of give or take 10 balls I never had anything less the 285 yards and was usually in the 290 - 300 range. I really got a hold of one and busted it 310. I have NEVER hit one that far on our monitor. I was also very happy with my dispersion too. My miss tends to be left and this is where I love the fact that when lowering the loft it opens the face. Only a couple times did I go left and when I did it wasn't near as severe with my SuperTri. Typically I was down the middle or a few yards right of center. My experience today has got me seriously considering the R11. I would really like to try the RIP Alpha X in it if I can track down some where to hit. Unfortunately we only got a few of the TP shafts at work. Todays experience has got me psyched!

Today I tried the R11 with the Blur TP X flex and this may have completely changed my tune (pun intended) on this driver. I started with the 9 degree head and took the loft down to 8 degrees. I recently learned that with the R11 when you lower the loft it actually opens the face. I absolutely love this aspect of the FCT. I left the ASP and MWT neutral. So it was time to hit some balls and this thing was beast mode! Out of give or take 10 balls I never had anything less the 285 yards and was usually in the 290 - 300 range. I really got a hold of one and busted it 310. I have NEVER hit one that far on our monitor. I was also very happy with my dispersion too. My miss tends to be left and this is where I love the fact that when lowering the loft it opens the face. Only a couple times did I go left and when I did it wasn't near as severe with my SuperTri. Typically I was down the middle or a few yards right of center. My experience today has got me seriously considering the R11. I would really like to try the RIP Alpha X in it if I can track down some where to hit. Unfortunately we only got a few of the TP shafts at work. Todays experience has got me psyched!

Nice, just FYI every adjustable driver you lower the loft on opens the face, even glued versions when you have them bent open it takes loft off, and vice versa on closing it adds loft, just thought you might want to know. Im really wanting to try the Fubuki in mine, also the Miyazaki Dromos

Nice, just FYI every adjustable driver you lower the loft on opens the face, even glued versions when you have them bent open it takes loft off, and vice versa on closing it adds loft, just thought you might want to know. Im really wanting to try the Fubuki in mine, also the Miyazaki Dromos

That's interesting. I would have thought the opposite. So it would work the same on my SuperTri?

That's interesting. I would have thought the opposite. So it would work the same on my SuperTri?

Yep! Great numbers man, your a beast.

Back