TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

Just got my R11 !!!!!!! Is there a such thing as "too cold" to go hit balls? It's raining but we do have an unheated, covered driving range.

From Golfsmith: "The "TP" version has a lower center of gravity and is for the more experienced player."

Can anyone validate that about the lower COG? Or do they just mean heavier weights? Any info on this JB?

Just got my R11 !!!!!!! Is there a such thing as "too cold" to go hit balls? It's raining but we do have an unheated, covered driving range.

You gotta give more info than that :D
What were your numbers like, what was the setting on, how was the feel, forgiveness, etc.. Cant leave us hanging like that lol

You gotta give more info than that :D
What were your numbers like, what was the setting on, how was the feel, forgiveness, etc.. Cant leave us hanging like that lol

Bridges, I literally just got the driver via Fedex probably in the past hour! I haven't been to the range yet! Haha. So right now all I can tell you is it looks so sweet and the little strap on the headcover really does make it easier to pull it off! :joy:

Numbers for me with the R11 3 wood vs old Superfast!
Carry: same 205ish
Spin: 175rpm less on average with R11
Dispersion: 6 yds better with R11
Verdict: I'll take one thanx!

Bridges, I literally just got the driver via Fedex probably in the past hour! I haven't been to the range yet! Haha. So right now all I can tell you is it looks so sweet and the little strap on the headcover really does make it easier to pull it off! :joy:

No pictures, didn't happen!

Congrats dude, I hope it helps you show those balls who's boss!

Haha, I thought you hit in the store already.

Im hoping mine comes in today to.

Can anyone find what are custom shafts for the r11? I go to TM website click on r11 then custom options and nothing comes up. Looks like stock its Fuji Blur 60 or 65.

johndeere10,

I was able to find them here:

www.snaintongolf.co.uk

Being that it's a UK site, the options as well as prcing may be slightly different for the US.

No pictures, didn't happen!

Congrats dude, I hope it helps you show those balls who's boss!

Haha, I may snap some photos if I get up to the range but you guys have seen plenty of pictures!

Haha, I thought you hit in the store already.

Im hoping mine comes in today to.

Haha. I have never hit this driver. But, like you, mine was free! Praise the Lord. Now, should I tough out the 33* weather and the rain and go hit this bad boy?

Haha, I may snap some photos if I get up to the range but you guys have seen plenty of pictures!

Haha. I have never hit this driver. But, like you, mine was free! Praise the Lord. Now, should I tough out the 33* weather and the rain and go hit this bad boy?

Did you win yours to?

Yes you should!!

Haha. I have never hit this driver. But, like you, mine was free! Praise the Lord. Now, should I tough out the 33* weather and the rain and go hit this bad boy?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely! If nothing else, hit it a few times for those of us looking at snow out the window.

Alright I broke down this morning and went to Golfsmith to test out the R11.

As you can tell by my bag I am a big TM ho...

I hit the R11 s-flex, R11 TP x-flex and the D3 s-flex

Avgs
D3 project X - BS/162 CS/112 Spin/3500 L/15.3* C/278 T/291 D/4ft right of center

R11 - BS/164 CS/113 Spin/3000 L/11.4* C/273 T/288 D/14ft left of cent

R11TP - BS/161 CS/112 Spin/3700 L/13.5* C/271 T/283 D/9ft right of center

R11 -1* N - BS/162 CS/112 Spin/2900 L/15* C/279 T/293 D/3ft left of center

First thing I noticed, I am out of golf shape :) lost a lot of ball speed being lazy over the cold winter here in Wisconsin.

The R11 did feel a bit numb, I was using the stock shaft and plan on bringing in my Whiteboard to try it out before I decide to buy. I was a little surprised at this but had heard same from a number of people. When I was hitting the sweet spot it did feel great though, a lot less numb and the ball flew with a slight draw which is exactly what I wanted. The white crown is completely irrelevant indoors and I really didn't notice it at all. Much lighter club than what I am used to but heavier than the D3.

I compared this to the D3 which is the other club I was looking into. The D3 felt just as numb when I was hitting it but much light than the R11, I didn't like that. I am going to lean towards the R11 for now but I am not completely ruling out the D3 as it did perform well.

Also hit the Burner, that was ruled out after 3 swings, just not the right club for me, and I really didn't like the look of it.

Overall the R11 performed great, brought down my spin (major factor for me) and looked great at address. Drivers are getting too big for me and TM has done a great job with the R9 and R11 series by making heads that do not look like the novelty Big Bertha drivers we saw in golf shops 10 years ago. I am going to give it a little while but you will most likely see a change in my signature soon...

Soooo angry, but it's all my fault. Hit the fairway wood at a demo day the other day and didn't ask about release date. Went to Roger Dunn to pick up the fairway this morning and they aren't out yet... AAAHHH!!!

I tried the R11 and Burner superfast 2.0 today at my local golf store. I like the R11 better than the SF2.0 for a few reasons, first I didn't feel like I got enough feedback from the SF2.0 namely the missed shots felt very much the same as the dead on ones. Then, I found the shaft length was just too long for me and from the launch monitor numbers I was getting, I was not gaining any club head speed. With a few tweaks (2 degrees close, 10 loft) the R11 was fitted to accommodate my swing and I was getting pretty good numbers with the stock Blur shaft in stiff. I didn't find the shaft to be a problem but I'm not a high swing speed player. When weighted, the R11 turned out 5g heavier than the R9 ST and the shafts cpm was 241 for the blur and 247. The color was not distracting for either driver, the feel and sound at impact were better with the SF2.0 but again the feedback was better with the R11. This is very early in the season and my swing is out of shape so even if I liked the R11, I'd have to try it again to see if it performs better than my supertri. There are a lot of interesting drivers coming out this year that I look forward to try so wait and see.

Alright I broke down this morning and went to Golfsmith to test out the R11.

As you can tell by my bag I am a big TM ho...

I hit the R11 s-flex, R11 TP x-flex and the D3 s-flex

Avgs
D3 project X - BS/162 CS/112 Spin/3500 L/15.3* C/278 T/291 D/4ft right of center

R11 - BS/164 CS/113 Spin/3000 L/11.4* C/273 T/288 D/14ft left of cent

R11TP - BS/161 CS/112 Spin/3700 L/13.5* C/271 T/283 D/9ft right of center

R11 -1* N - BS/162 CS/112 Spin/2900 L/15* C/279 T/293 D/3ft left of center

First thing I noticed, I am out of golf shape :) lost a lot of ball speed being lazy over the cold winter here in Wisconsin.

The R11 did feel a bit numb, I was using the stock shaft and plan on bringing in my Whiteboard to try it out before I decide to buy. I was a little surprised at this but had heard same from a number of people. When I was hitting the sweet spot it did feel great though, a lot less numb and the ball flew with a slight draw which is exactly what I wanted. The white crown is completely irrelevant indoors and I really didn't notice it at all. Much lighter club than what I am used to but heavier than the D3.

I compared this to the D3 which is the other club I was looking into. The D3 felt just as numb when I was hitting it but much light than the R11, I didn't like that. I am going to lean towards the R11 for now but I am not completely ruling out the D3 as it did perform well.

Also hit the Burner, that was ruled out after 3 swings, just not the right club for me, and I really didn't like the look of it.

Overall the R11 performed great, brought down my spin (major factor for me) and looked great at address. Drivers are getting too big for me and TM has done a great job with the R9 and R11 series by making heads that do not look like the novelty Big Bertha drivers we saw in golf shops 10 years ago. I am going to give it a little while but you will most likely see a change in my signature soon...

Great info! How do the R11 numbers compare to your Supertri?

Okay, quick simple question, and hopefully just a quick simple answer. I have read that the R11 is a little harder to hit than the 460cc R9 and R9 Supertri. But is it that big of a difference??? My misses are hardly ever off the toe. Moreso off the top of the clubface, but still center, and this clubface looks fairly deep, sooo???

Asking because none of the shops will put out a demo R11!!!

Great info! How do the R11 numbers compare to your Supertri?

As I left for work this morning I grabbed my usual coffee and forgot my ST... part of the reason I didn't make a purchase today.

I did however hit it on a launch monitor at the end of last season seeing BS and CS about the same but spin in between 4,500 and 5,500 which was killing my distance! The ST was an extremely accurate driver for me hitting 10+ fairways a round but the spin was sooo high I lost a lot of distance and if it was windy out, forget it...

I will be taking in the ST to compare soon before I decide between the 3

Okay, quick simple question, and hopefully just a quick simple answer. I have read that the R11 is a little harder to hit than the 460cc R9 and R9 Supertri. But is it that big of a difference??? My misses are hardly ever off the toe. Moreso off the top of the clubface, but still center, and this clubface looks fairly deep, sooo???

Asking because none of the shops will put out a demo R11!!!

I only hit it with tape on it but I did see a good bit of forgiveness in the driver, miss-hits were surprising close to target and even bad hits were only 10 -15 yards off. The 460cc head is suppose to be more forgiving but personally I didn't see much of a difference from my normal shot dispersion.

Last edited:
As I left for work this morning I grabbed my usual coffee and forgot my ST... part of the reason I didn't make a purchase today.

I did however hit it on a launch monitor at the end of last season seeing BS and CS about the same but spin in between 4,500 and 5,500 which was killing my distance! The ST was an extremely accurate driver for me hitting 10+ fairways a round but the spin was sooo high I lost a lot of distance and if it was windy out, forget it...

I will be taking in the ST to compare soon before I decide between the 3

I only hit it with tape on it but I did see a good bit of forgiveness in the driver, miss-hits were surprising close to target and even bad hits were only 10 -15 yards off. The 460cc head is suppose to be more forgiving but personally I didn't see much of a difference from my normal shot disruption.

What is CS? I noticed you put it in your last post a lot to. Did you mean SS- Swing Speed? Was just curious.

What is CS? I noticed you put it in your last post a lot to. Did you mean SS- Swing Speed? Was just curious.

Club head speed/swing speed

man, I am really on the fence about this club after hearing some reviews and feelings. At first I was very excited, now I dont know how to feel. I feel like i did the night I decided to lose my virginity....dirty and confused!

Bahaha, hopefully she didn't feel the same!

On the R11, its a great looking club, but I can tell the SuperTri is better suited for me.

From Golfsmith: "The "TP" version has a lower center of gravity and is for the more experienced player."

Can anyone validate that about the lower COG? Or do they just mean heavier weights? Any info on this JB?

False. Like the R9's, the only difference is shafts.

Tried the R11 driver out today. Standard set up, stock stiff Blur shaft.

My verdict....very disappointed in the shaft. Same problem I feel with my stock shaft in the r7 425. It just doesn't feel like it kicks and launches the ball for me at all. Feels kinda 'dead' through impact. I wanted to love it, but it just didn't perform for me.

For the record, I was putting it up against Titleist D3 (Aldila RIP stiff), and Nike Machspeed Black (Fubuki 50g Stiff).

Back