Taylormade R9 SuperTri Driver Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Edit: Here is teh review of TM SuperTri
http://thehackersparadise.com/home/?p=9041

Over the last 18 months I have tested and used just about every new driver that has come out on the market. With no exceptions, I always went back to my original R9 driver. From the minute I tried it out, it was in my bag (Dec 2008) and I have never even thought of switching.

After this year's DSO (Driver Shoot Out), 2 drivers stuck out to me and those were the Ping G15 and the Diablo Edge. Both of which finished 1 & 2 by the testers and during my testing were both outstanding drivers. I tested both and liked them very much. Good solid clubs that provide excellent distance, feel, and forgiveness.

After doing some shaft testings, I found a shaft for my game that works perfectly in just about every driver I tried it in and that was the Miyazaki Blue. I like the black a lot as well, but the blue just gives me a little more height which I like. Still mid-launch, but a little higher than the black.

At the THP FL Golf Outing, I got a chance to hit the Diablo Edge with the very shaft I love thanks to OEM Kevin and fell in love. It feels great, forgiving, and quite long. Thanks to Kevin for making a trade with me and putting this driver in my hands. However I still felt as though I was leaving a few yards out on the course with the Diablo Edge. I compared it to the G15 and the Callaway was about 5 yards longer for me, so that was good. Then I compared it with my old R9 and once again the Callaway was about 5 yards longer. All was good and then I started tested another driver for review.

I grabbed the Taylormade SuperTri (I had previously hit it a few times) and put my Miyazaki Blue shaft in it and went to the range. The monitor does not lie. I am getting 5-7 yards on average more than the Callaway and I am not sacrificing any feel or forgiveness in my opinion. Took them both out on the course this afternoon and on #17 which is a straight par 4, just hit 10 balls with each driver (Diablo Edge & SuperTri). Both are incredibly forgiving and the dispersion was darn close, but the distance was noticably longer on almost every drive.

So for now, the Taylormade SuperTri is in the bag and the Callaway Diablo Edge that is shafted up with the amazing Miyazaki Blue shaft is on the bench. To me there are few drivers out there that look as good as this one and now that I am reviewing it and seeing the performance first hand, I cannot stay away.

The original R9 was in my bag for a long time (close to 18 months), and when I finally changed I thought it would be for another 18 months. The Diablo Edge just did not make the cut for me compared to the SuperTri. It is a great driver, but the numbers for my swing show that the SuperTri belongs in the bag. Both are great drivers, but the Taylormade won out for me.

854666989_VdF5v-M.jpg

854666876_pyo2j-M.jpg

The Winner Looking Pretty
Spoiler
854667285_yiCqo-XL.jpg

Last edited:
JB, your story is pretty similar to mine. I also tried several new drivers about a month or so ago. The SuperTri was the best for my swing speed, trajectory and spin rate. I love the club and have utmost confidence in it when I am on the tee. The trajectory was a tad higher than I was used to, but the monitor (and the results on the course) doesn't lie; I get more distance with the bit higher trajectory.

Glad you are enjoying the new club as well.

I hit the Super Tri and I too loved it at the outing. Cant blame you for the switch. Been thinking about adding this driver to my stable too. Nothing wrong with options, right? After all, whats my effin name tc???

I hit the Super Tri and I too loved it at the outing. Cant blame you for the switch. Been thinking about adding this driver to my stable too. Nothing wrong with options, right? After all, whats my effin name tc???

OEM in da house!!! i predict that you'll have this club before the end of May.

Try next week. :D

This makes me want to try the SuperTri as well. The original R9 has been in my bag as well and this helps me see what the next step up would be. Thanks, JB.

Re: Taylormade R9 SuperTri - My Switch

OEM Kevin said:
OEM mofo.....OEM lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL!! But I loved the one at the outing that had that freakin expensive shaft in it. Dude that the new avatar rocks.

umm, did you just say expensive? coming from the guy that's bought as many putters as there are days in the weekend.

it's a new month, time for a new avatar, and of course, it has to be star wars themed.

love the supertri, i'm glad it's working out for you JB, and i'm also glad that the launch monitor still works.

im just jealous you had this tough decision to make:D

umm, did you just say expensive? coming from the guy that's bought as many putters as there are days in the weekend.

it's a new month, time for a new avatar, and of course, it has to be star wars themed.

love the supertri, i'm glad it's working out for you JB, and i'm also glad that the launch monitor still works.

Im still nervous that the info may be wrong after it met Setho for an encounter....hehe

Try next week. :D

This makes me want to try the SuperTri as well. The original R9 has been in my bag as well and this helps me see what the next step up would be. Thanks, JB.

The SuperTri was a sweet club. cant go wrong!

Im still nervous that the info may be wrong after it met Setho for an encounter....hehe

yeah, you may have to go somewhere that offers undamaged goods to truly test your results, ha! seriously, an extra 5-7 yards is fantastic, i'd be switching to.

I tried out the Super Tri and really liked the club, but have spent so much on equipment this year I've decided to back off a little. However, I do need to get my R9 back in play and seriously thinking about a new shaft for it.

Without a place to test out these Miyazaki shafts, how could I go about making an educated guess on which one to order?

Great arguement for the switch JB! It's hard to dispute the numbers and results when you see them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a very timely thread JB

The shaft of my Adams XTD driver broke off just above the head at the range today... I had originally planned to replace it next year when the diablo edge came down in price (She must have known this and pulled "You can't fire me because I quit"). Since I am going to be thrown into the driver market sooner than expected, I was shopping around golfsmith used section and came across a SuperTri. Maybe I'll pull the trigger on it based on these reviews. Only problem is that it wont have a weight set or adjusting tools...

The drivers dont normally come with a weight set, atleast mine never have. But the wrench does come with it, but you can order one online from many places for very little.

I tried out the Super Tri and really liked the club, but have spent so much on equipment this year I've decided to back off a little. However, I do need to get my R9 back in play and seriously thinking about a new shaft for it.

Without a place to test out these Miyazaki shafts, how could I go about making an educated guess on which one to order?

duey, i would think that JB could help you get in touch with Tim so you could discuss which shaft would suit you best.

duey, i would think that JB could help you get in touch with Tim so you could discuss which shaft would suit you best.

I didn't think something like that would be possible, but if so that would be great. I love the old R9, it just needs a more mid flight at this point.

hey jb, i tested this driver too and loved it - it will probably be in my bag when i make a purchase in the next few weeks.

i just listened to your podcast on the miyazaki shafts- and im curious - would i see a vast improvement over the stock shaft with my handicap? im high and aspiring to break 90 this year.

money isnt an object - and im working on lessons every other week for improvement - until i obtain my goal.

Also - i saw you said you swapped out shafts - im mechanically inclined - is this an easy job? rquire any special equipment?

thanks for answering m field of questions the past few weeks - your insight is greatly appreciated!

That's a great club JB. I liked the SuperTri too, almost as much as the Clevelands that I hit. I used it on Day one and was hitting a lot of fairways. I think I even liked it best with the Miyazaki Blue shaft in to too. At least I think that's the shaft.

Anyway, excellent choice.

I didn't think something like that would be possible, but if so that would be great. I love the old R9, it just needs a more mid flight at this point.

yeah, i talked to OEM kevin and biggsy a lot about their conversations with Tim and they said it was amazing how easily he could fit them just based off a conversation. i also know that you have a slew of pictures of your latest launch monitor session so i'm sure you could just forward all of that information to him and he could sort you out. i'd just ask to see if this is possible or not, i have no idea but i'm sure it would be.

edit: JB knows his stuff about shafts as well, so i'm sure he could help you too.

Congrats on the new big stick, JB.

IMO, the SuperTri and SuperDeep are the sexiest clubs on the market in terms of looks. I'm sure they perform just as well.

yeah, i talked to OEM kevin and biggsy a lot about their conversations with Tim and they said it was amazing how easily he could fit them just based off a conversation. i also know that you have a slew of pictures of your latest launch monitor session so i'm sure you could just forward all of that information to him and he could sort you out. i'd just ask to see if this is possible or not, i have no idea but i'm sure it would be.

edit: JB knows his stuff about shafts as well, so i'm sure he could help you too.

Sounds like the way to go. I am trying to make a trip to Omaha in the next week, but things keep getting in the way. If I don't make it there I might just go that route. Thanks TC.

Sounds like the way to go. I am trying to make a trip to Omaha in the next week, but things keep getting in the way. If I don't make it there I might just go that route. Thanks TC.

any time man. good luck, i hope something works out for you.

Its possible, but keep in mind that cost will be a factor when it comes to Miyazaki. If it is something you want to be fit and order, I am sure Tim will be gracious enough to get someone to help you over the phone. Otherwise, email me your numbers and I can see what I can do.

hey jb, i tested this driver too and loved it - it will probably be in my bag when i make a purchase in the next few weeks.

i just listened to your podcast on the miyazaki shafts- and im curious - would i see a vast improvement over the stock shaft with my handicap? im high and aspiring to break 90 this year.

money isnt an object - and im working on lessons every other week for improvement - until i obtain my goal.

Also - i saw you said you swapped out shafts - im mechanically inclined - is this an easy job? rquire any special equipment?

thanks for answering m field of questions the past few weeks - your insight is greatly appreciated!

I think a proper fitting shaft can make anybody a better player. Getting fit to the ideal shaft for my game increased by fairway accuracy by close to 50%.

Back