TaylorMade RocketBladez - Review Thread

I took another chance to hit at Dicks today and compared the Tour vs regular. I hit both of them well, the tours, with KBS Tour stiff, were a 5 yard draw every time. The regular, with stock stiff, were right of center line (regular shaft being weak I think caused this as it was EVERY hit). Turns out I only saw a 2 yard difference between the two, advantage regular. But I will say I noticed something. The rep kept mentioning total distances. I thought, wow, these are REALLY long! But, then I realized, it was giving me a FIFTEEN yard rollout. Well, I don't believe that a 7 iron, coming down at a 53 degree angle, will have a 15 yard rollout! Anyway, be careful with the monitors. In real life, I want these babies to stick the landing. On this thread, I'm seeing a lot of distances with "rollout" listed. Anyway. Gonna have to try them outside somewhere... I liked them!

I have only seen maybe 5 yards with mine they come in to the greens high and just seem to stop a few feet from the divot mark

I want to thank everyone on this thread for your opinions. I've been shopping for irons for awhile and the info here has been very helpful. It finally came down to the JPX 825 and Rocketbladez. After hitting a lot of balls in the simulator I ordered the Rocketbladez, they just felt more forgiving for me. It took me awhile to convince myself the I wasn't spending a lot of money on a gimmick, and again the feedback here was very helpful.

The clubs came a couple of days ago, and I got out to the range at lunch today. They felt even better on the range than in the simulator. I saw small distance gains over my Callaway x20s in short irons, and significant difference, probably 1 and a half clubs in the 5-7. Extremely forgiving, and high. I was a little surprised the I still have my normal draw flight, based on what I've read here I expected straight. Very happy with the trajectory and ball flight. You guys are right, the ball just takes off and keeps rising with a very soft landing all the way throught the 5 iron. I just can't say it enough, these clubs feel really good. I can't hit my Cleveland and Vokey wedges worth a darn, so I went 5-sw with the KBS 90 (non-tour) shaft. The wedges felt and hit good too, can't wait to hit them on the course Saturday; it's supposed to be 65 and sunny here in Atlanta.

Thanks again for helping me get over thinking the lofts and club lengths were a gimmick. The gaps appear to be very manageable. I really don't care which club I hit 150 yards, I just want to be confident my 150 yard club goes that far consistently. These certainly fit that criteria. Looking forward to dropping a few strokes.

You are welcome. Thank you for the note, I really appreciate seeing feedback from others about how the information helps them. And of course congratulations on the purchase, glad you are happy with the decision. Be sure to stick around and tell us about your experiences with the clubs.

Congrats on your purchase! Let us know how you make out on the course this weekend. Also, if you were looking to do something with you old cleveland or vokey wedges, take a look at the THP marketplace and post them for sale. Best of luck with the new sticks!

Hit these today with some others. These and the Callaway X Hots are on the short list.

I played my first round today with the new rocketbladez (Rocketfuel Stiff Steel) down here in La Quinta CA. I am a 10ish handicap but haven't been able to pick up a club in 5 weeks, tough living in Canada most of the winter but the family has a place now down here in California. Very grateful to be able to come down south.

My front 9 I struck the ball decent but had some blow up holes, just unlucky and got some bad breaks on a few holes too. Hit the pin and lipped out from 110 with the Rbladez approach wedge, loving that club and was sort of worried about it when I ordered the clubs in.

The back 9 was a different story and I got them heated up, finished the back 1 over par with a water hazard on 18. Lipped out a putt to have 3 birds in a row. Loving the distance, I'm coming from the complete opposite end of the spectrum (mizuno mp32 blades with DG s300's).

It's pretty addicting seeing the crazy ball flight and carry on these irons. I'm playing again tomorrow and now that I have some time back on the course I'm stoked to be able to put a full 18 in and crack 80.

yjutuje7.jpg

Wow, that's impressive. Nice job!

Very cool Brody!

I played my first round today with the new rocketbladez (Rocketfuel Stiff Steel) down here in La Quinta CA. I am a 10ish handicap but haven't been able to pick up a club in 5 weeks, tough living in Canada most of the winter but the family has a place now down here in California. Very grateful to be able to come down south.

My front 9 I struck the ball decent but had some blow up holes, just unlucky and got some bad breaks on a few holes too. Hit the pin and lipped out from 110 with the Rbladez approach wedge, loving that club and was sort of worried about it when I ordered the clubs in.

The back 9 was a different story and I got them heated up, finished the back 1 over par with a water hazard on 18. Lipped out a putt to have 3 birds in a row. Loving the distance, I'm coming from the complete opposite end of the spectrum (mizuno mp32 blades with DG s300's).

It's pretty addicting seeing the crazy ball flight and carry on these irons. I'm playing again tomorrow and now that I have some time back on the course I'm stoked to be able to put a full 18 in and crack 80.

yjutuje7.jpg

Nice job. Silver Rock is a fun challenging course.

Oh mannnnn, not again! Need to get some super glue..

20130222_191213_zps8d0438e6.jpg

I would call TM.

Oh mannnnn, not again! Need to get some super glue..

20130222_191213_zps8d0438e6.jpg

That's interesting... I haven't had that happen yet, even with the brutally cold conditions I've had these in. Probably just a small mfg defect with producing thousands of sets. Like Tequila said, I'd call TM, they'll take good care of you!

My stickers came off my 4i today.....not happy as these aren't exactly budget clubs.
Wow. Annoying. The others looking ok?

Hmmm not what you expect to see at all. Would definatley get on the phone to TM and get them to sort the issue for you ASAP.

Not noticed any problems with my irons at all - played in actual snow today and they still performed reasonably well.

I started a lesson series tonight which involved hitting about a 100 7 irons. With a few tweaks I was back to hitting the club beautifully - trajectory was great with full distances just short of 170. Mishits were as we've seen before, not quite as high and about a club length less but directionally great.

Had a chance to warm up with the Stage 2 7-iron today in the LM at Dick's when I went for driver fitting. Felt very, very nice and easy to hit. I like the look of them better than my RBZ irons, and the Stage 2 might actually have a slightly softer feel. Seems like they refined what they started last year a little bit, although I'm still awfully happy with my RBZ set.

So far yes, and I have to say that the face coating looks to be very durable so I guess it's just cosmetic.
Still worth a shout to TM, you are right, these are premium irons. Interesting that two Brits have slight niggles with the cosmetics. I'm the same as MAV, no problems with mine, so far! (Apart from user error!)

I hit the Tour version yesterday and they were outrageous. They were the sweetest irons I've ever hit and 175 yards with a 7 iron is pretty good. Can't wait to hit them again at my fitting on Thursday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I hit the Tour version yesterday and they were outrageous. They were the sweetest irons I've ever hit and 175 yards with a 7 iron is pretty good. Can't wait to hit them again at my fitting on Thursday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Hmmmmm...175 with a 7 iron. Pretty good.

The only way I am getting 175 with a 7 iron is firing it off the top of a mountain to a green in the valley!

sounds like you may have identified your new irons!

My stickers came off my 4i today.....not happy as these aren't exactly budget clubs.

Mine happened with the 4i too! I'm putting it down to using them after them being in the car all day in the freezing cold weather before going to the driving range.

Played 18 yesterday, the Rbladez performed solid again. The star of the show was the 4i- I found myself in trouble often off the tee, and used the 4i to hit perfect low stingers out and around trees multiple times. I have quite the battle going on with my hybrid and the 4i at the moment, I'm thinking of adding a wedge at the bottom of the bag so I'll have to make a decision.

P.S. No trouble with the badges here, maybe its a cold-weather issue?

Played 18 yesterday, the Rbladez performed solid again. The star of the show was the 4i- I found myself in trouble often off the tee, and used the 4i to hit perfect low stingers out and around trees multiple times. I have quite the battle going on with my hybrid and the 4i at the moment, I'm thinking of adding a wedge at the bottom of the bag so I'll have to make a decision.

P.S. No trouble with the badges here, maybe its a cold-weather issue?
Impressive, rafdo. Have to admit to being a little jealous of those of you that can hit the 4i, wish I could do it myself...the 4i vs hybrid is a nice problem to have :)

Back