TaylorMade RocketBladez - Review Thread

26.5 degree loft on a SIX iron?! That's 3.5 degrees stronger than my J40 DPCs... Wow. Plus a little more than a half inch longer. Again, wow. To keep saying "they're longer" TM just jacks with the lofts. So, why not match the lofts across makers, no matter if 6 iron vs 3 iron, cuz to prove longer, you have to go apples to apples... This is why I've lost all interest in TM. I would LOVE to see some super slo-mo video showing ow the minimal weight of the ball can compress the cavity, if you go to the TM site they show the cross section. The ball in the pic isn't even aligned to the "slot". I gotta see it to believe it.

Heres a link to the cross sectional image: http://taylormadegolf.com/rocketbladez/rocketbladez,en_US,pg.html

26.5 degree loft on a SIX iron?! That's 3.5 degrees stronger than my J40 DPCs... Wow. Plus a little more than a half inch longer. Again, wow. To keep saying "they're longer" TM just jacks with the lofts. So, why not match the lofts across makers, no matter if 6 iron vs 3 iron, cuz to prove longer, you have to go apples to apples... This is why I've lost all interest in TM. I would LOVE to see some super slo-mo video showing ow the minimal weight of the ball can compress the cavity, if you go to the TM site they show the cross section. The ball in the pic isn't even aligned to the "slot". I gotta see it to believe it.

Here's a link to the specs: http://taylormadegolf.com/TaylorMade/RocketBladez-Irons/DW-JN933,en_US,pd.html

Have you listened to the THP Radio show with the company where we discussed lofts? Pretty interesting stuff.

I remember hearing on the THP show that these are pretty easy to bend the lie. Has anyone done this yet?

The lofts are stronger, but that's not really a secret or anything. To be fair to TM, they aren't the only company out there putting out irons like this either. Bottom line from a sales/marketing perspective is that many people just don't seem to care.

I remember hearing on the THP show that these are pretty easy to bend the lie. Has anyone done this yet?

Mine came bent to spec, Gray. I still think I might want them a little flatter though. I'm going to take some swings on the lie board to see how they are working for me. They are quite a bit more upright to start with than my last set.

Mine came bent to spec, Gray. I still think I might want them a little flatter though. I'm going to take some swings on the lie board to see how they are working for me. They are quite a bit more upright to start with than my last set.

Cool . I think once I get fit this time, my lie will need to be at least in the +1 up zone.

That'll be easy enough. I tried to find info on the range they can be adjusted, but came up empty. It's out there somewhere.

Great job with the weekend reviews fellas. I'm very interested to follow the progress of this testing. Keep up the great work

First off, the high towering shots sounds nice! I like high balls.

I think I"m with you that the slot irons have a different sound or something than the other irons. Actually, the only ones I can even remember noticing are the slot irons now that I look back.

As for the wedge, I thought it was ok, but I'm not sure I'm seeing a benefit for replacing my 588. Maybe I'd appreciate what appears to be a little cavity action if I took more full wedge shots, but that's not my style at all. At best, I could see it as a specialty wedge from the rough, but I'm not sure if that's really necessary at this point. I didn't put it in the bag today after yesterday's practice session and I'm glad I didn't.

Yeah, it'll be interesting out on the course to see how the flight works out for me, I'm eager.

I expected a different sound coming in, at least a little bit, IMO you can't just cut a slot in a club and it NOT effect sound, just look at putters and what cutting a sound-slot/beaching does to the pitch of the sound. Not bad yet, just different.

Nice review Jman . It is some what disappointing to hear the feel or sound is not similar to forged like TM claims . Of course I will reserve judgement till I hit them.
gb

I can't really speak on that because honestly the whole forged feel/sound being different than cast is absolute bunk to me. Plus, like I said above, I don't think you can cuts a slot into a club and have it NOT effect sound in some manner. It'll truly be a try it and decide for yourself thing though methinks. Thanks for the kind words!

As JB said, you should listen to the interview THP did with TM about these. The number on the club is NOT based on the loft, its based on the LAUNCH. So, if the slot tech can make a 26.5 club LAUNCH at the same angle as a 30* then they number it according to that, the LAUNCH, not the LOFT. I get what you're saying but you have to look at all sides of it, not JUST loft IMO. Also they are the same length as the 2.0's were so this isn't a new occurrence when you think about it.

Not trying to be a TM defender b/c all I care about is if it works or not, but I do think the whole picture needs to be seen.

Also, I'm going to FORCE an after work round to happen today, I want to see these ON COURSE. I'm curious to see what'll happen.

Good luck out there, Jman. The holiday is going to make this week a tough one for golfing for me.

Good luck out there, Jman. The holiday is going to make this week a tough one for golfing for me.

Thanks buddy. I'm lucky in that with school letting out I'll get 2-3 rounds Wednesday and then one with JJ on Friday or Saturday and maybe TexasHacker on Sunday. Good stuff.

Excellent. Go throw some high balls up there!

Excellent. Go throw some high balls up there!

I plan on it! Especially since its actually pretty calm out there today.

Thanks buddy. I'm lucky in that with school letting out I'll get 2-3 rounds Wednesday and then one with JJ on Friday or Saturday and maybe TexasHacker on Sunday. Good stuff.

I sure hope so. Honestly you have so many awesome goodies that I unfortunately cant hit, but at least will get to look at if it works out

I sure hope so. Honestly you have so many awesome goodies that I unfortunately cant hit, but at least will get to look at if it works out

Any chance you could get out Saturday?

JMan, I hit Jake's a few times and really liked them. Can't wait to hit yours as well.

One thing I noticed that P4B already mentioned but I will reiterate, he was hitting bump and runs awesome with these. They come off the face so nice and was leaving a nice putt every time.

JMan, I hit Jake's a few times and really liked them. Can't wait to hit yours as well.

One thing I noticed that P4B already mentioned but I will reiterate, he was hitting bump and runs awesome with these. They come off the face so nice and was leaving a nice putt every time.

Nah man it would be Sunday on my way back to KC. Tulsa is only like 30 minutes out of my way

TapaTalk from the iPhone

I hope so too!

I'm adding this to my mental notes today, I remember reading Jake talking about it, but I'd blanked on it. This could be fun.

Interesting about the bump and runs, since that is the one part of my short game that I can never get going.

This is the identical post that people threw at the Burner 2.0s on their testing page. We know it, TM knows it and many of the other mfgs are following suit. Matching lofts across companies would be pretty cool. On the course when my playing partners and I do the whole "what are you thinking about hitting" line, my club is generally a club shorter and my buddies and I all know its because of my juiced lofts. I will say the confidence of having a "shorter" club in hand is real (i.e. 7i vs 6i).

It is unfortunate that TM does compare apples to oranges to show superiority to other companies offerings. For example on the RocketBladez site, they compare their 26.5° 6i to Callaway's (two year old) 30° X-22 6i, and its 11+ yards longer. Shocking! Its up to the consumers to understand what is going on. It doesn't mean the clubs are any less playable or awesome, just marketed in a way that speaks to a lot of surface level consumers.

This is the identical post that people threw at the Burner 2.0s on their testing page. We know it, TM knows it and many of the other mfgs are following suit. Matching lofts across companies would be pretty cool. On the course when my playing partners and I do the whole "what are you thinking about hitting" line, my club is generally a club shorter and my buddies and I all know its because of my juiced lofts. I will say the confidence of having a "shorter" club in hand is real (i.e. 7i vs 6i).

It is unfortunate that TM does compare apples to oranges to show superiority to other companies offerings. For example on the RocketBladez site, they compare their 26.5° 6i to Callaway's (two year old) 30° X-22 6i, and its 11+ yards longer. Shocking! Its up to the consumers to understand what is going on. It doesn't mean the clubs are any less playable or awesome, just marketed in a way that speaks to a lot of surface level consumers.

You should listen to the THP radio show some seriously good info in there and they actually talk about this, the numbers on the clubs are selected by the LAUNCH not the LOFT. If a 26.5 loft with can launch the same as a 30, then why not call it a 6i?

Loft isn't everything IMO.

You should listen to the THP radio show some seriously good info in there and they actually talk about this, the numbers on the clubs are selected by the LAUNCH not the LOFT. If a 26.5 loft with can launch the same as a 30, then why not call it a 6i?

Loft isn't everything IMO.

I appreciate that. I haven't listened to that interview.

On course now.

Jman hit 4i lots. 4i hit ball lots. Ball go far....lots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back