TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 Hybrid Review Thread

So I got out to the driving range tonight, primarily to hit my new R9 irons. I also wanted to put the Burner 2.0 up against the 18* R11 rescue I picked up last weekend used. I hit half a bucket with each hybrid, and I have to say right now, the Burner 2.0 is in my bag hands down. The balls just felt like they exploded off the face of the club with each swing. I am going to hit the R11 rescue a little more, but I am really liking the Burner 2.0 right now.

So I got out to the driving range tonight, primarily to hit my new R9 irons. I also wanted to put the Burner 2.0 up against the 18* R11 rescue I picked up last weekend used. I hit half a bucket with each hybrid, and I have to say right now, the Burner 2.0 is in my bag hands down. The balls just felt like they exploded off the face of the club with each swing. I am going to hit the R11 rescue a little more, but I am really liking the Burner 2.0 right now.

What loft is the Burner?

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

Sorry I wasn't clear on that, they are both 18 degrees.

Interesting. The R11 I've got right now doesn't have a hot face per say but when you catch it center face it flat out goes. Wonder if one is 'hotter' than the other?

Interesting. The R11 I've got right now doesn't have a hot face per say but when you catch it center face it flat out goes. Wonder if one is 'hotter' than the other?

I was getting good distance with the R11, but the Burner 2.0 was going farther. It just felt smoother. I could really feel a weight difference between the two and that might be why I am feeling a different off the face feeling.

After watching Day game this all weekend it left me yearning to hit it.

I think Day was gaming a Rescue 11 I think.

Good to hear it's working out for you, Bogey. Any noticeable difference in ball flight with the two clubs (since they have different shafts)?

I think maybe the forgiveness on the SF 2.0 is a bit better than the Rescue. Speaking from a high cappers standpoint, it's rare that we hit the club dead center and on off center hits if it just takes off (which has been happening with the 2.0) we just talk as if it has a "hot face". Although in comparison to the Mashie it does feel like the ball just springs off the face more, IMO. Totally feel based so it's subjective.

Took it out Saturday on the range and nothing new to report. Misses are still dead hooks but still going long. So I decided to reach out and speak to my TMPL fitter and she said the shaft was not suited for my swing... I know surprise there. If it was her she would have fit me for the Rescue 11 with the RIP 85. I told her that was not an option so I posed a hypothetical on her... how about switching my PX 6.0 to the SF? She said that that shaft is better for my swing but she's worried about the weight b/c nobody has ever tried that combo before so there's no data on how the change would effect the overall club dynamics. Guess I'll be a guinea pig on this situation as well.

So yesterday I decided to head over to Golf Galaxy to switch them out and decided to hop on the Mizuno shaft optimizer and once again for graphite shafts it spit out the PX 6.0 for me (FYI the shaft optimizer numbers were 83 9 1 7 1). Well so far all signs point to go. I should get the club back later this week and hopefully I'll be out early next week to give it a ride.

Got to take it out 2x in the last week with the PX in it and what a world of difference. Ball flight is definitely lower and the hooks are gone. Now my misses are pushes (which tells me something about my swing that I've been fighting). Weighting seems ok by me than it is noticeably heavier and stouter. Two shots come to mind that would never be possible with the previous setup. The first was off the tee and I just pulverized a drive 215 dead straight (and actually got me into the first cut since I outdrove the dogleg which was unexpected) and the second I was 210 to the green second shot on a par 5, wind cutting left to right at roughly 10 mph, water all along left side. I took the SF for a rip and placed the ball back a little from my normal placement for an intended stinger. Dead straight, no more than 10 feet off the deck bounced 20 yards prior to the green (green is kidney shaped with a bunker dead center on the approach so left is ok and right is ok and pin was behind bunker in the middle of the green) on the left side since I was on that side anyway, rolled through green into the fringe for a chance at eagle 3 (about 17 feet from the hole). Missed putt but lagged great, tap in for birdie.

Funny thing on that last one is that as soon as I hit the ball I yelled, "It's there!". Knew I put a good move on it and gave me a chance for my first eagle. More stories to come...

Got to take it out 2x in the last week with the PX in it and what a world of difference. Ball flight is definitely lower and the hooks are gone. Now my misses are pushes (which tells me something about my swing that I've been fighting). Weighting seems ok by me than it is noticeably heavier and stouter. Two shots come to mind that would never be possible with the previous setup. The first was off the tee and I just pulverized a drive 215 dead straight (and actually got me into the first cut since I outdrove the dogleg which was unexpected) and the second I was 210 to the green second shot on a par 5, wind cutting left to right at roughly 10 mph, water all along left side. I took the SF for a rip and placed the ball back a little from my normal placement for an intended stinger. Dead straight, no more than 10 feet off the deck bounced 20 yards prior to the green (green is kidney shaped with a bunker dead center on the approach so left is ok and right is ok and pin was behind bunker in the middle of the green) on the left side since I was on that side anyway, rolled through green into the fringe for a chance at eagle 3 (about 17 feet from the hole). Missed putt but lagged great, tap in for birdie.

Funny thing on that last one is that as soon as I hit the ball I yelled, "It's there!". Knew I put a good move on it and gave me a chance for my first eagle. More stories to come...

Great stuff spanks! Love to hear the club is working out for you with the new shaft. I have only hit this hybrid once but I did like what I saw.

Spanks et all: How has it been getting the ball out of the rough? Seems like the sole would set up well for the sweeper swinger in the fairway but I'm curious how it handles the longer grass.

Spanks et all: How has it been getting the ball out of the rough? Seems like the sole would set up well for the sweeper swinger in the fairway but I'm curious how it handles the longer grass.

1st cut and a bit longer is fine. Haven't found myself in a situation where I'm in that deep a trouble to try to use that club yet thankfully. We got some courses here with St Augustine (which is like swinging through what it feels like blades of thicker copy paper) and I just haven't used it in that lie. I do see where you come from and I have commented on that as well on previous posts. Another thing is that I have taken some divots out with it and I consider myself more of a sweeper for my woods. IMO, I do lean more of treating this more like a FW rather than and iron (which I treat the Mashie more so as).

If I do get into some of the thicker stuff I will post on here my experiences.

Ok here are some wear pics. These were taken pre outing before a wash down. My apologies in advance for blurry pics and I'm hoping that you can see most of the wear (or lack thereof in some points of view). Just as a reference, I'd estimate 10 rounds and 10 range sessions worth of wear.

100_0056.jpg

100_0057.jpg

100_0058.jpg

The TM website shows this is draw biased, and the R11 is neutral. Anyone know if there are plans for a neutral bias superfast rescue in the near future?? Surprised they don't have a TP version. I love the look of this club...looks sharp, as in blade sharp, so it would give confidence from the rough. Haven't hit her yet, but very concerned about the draw bias.

The TM website shows this is draw biased, and the R11 is neutral. Anyone know if there are plans for a neutral bias superfast rescue in the near future?? Surprised they don't have a TP version. I love the look of this club...looks sharp, as in blade sharp, so it would give confidence from the rough. Haven't hit her yet, but very concerned about the draw bias.

I don't know as a definite but chances are no. Just look at the popularity of this thread in comparison to the rescue and you'll see that this club holds second candle to the Rescue line. Honestly, the draw bias doesn't bother me as much as the stock shaft. Once I changed shafts out I've been able to work the ball left to right more. Granted when I do have a hooker I could definitely feel the club head cup the ball.

How's the black paint holding up on the face mate (I can't tell if that's ball paint on the face of wear)? I've been out twice with mine and have managed to chip right through the black paint on both already. Not a big deal to me as I don't find the black face that helpful but others might care.

How's the black paint holding up on the face mate (I can't tell if that's ball paint on the face of wear)? I've been out twice with mine and have managed to chip right through the black paint on both already. Not a big deal to me as I don't find the black face that helpful but others might care.

Black face is wearing down some. I'll try to get better pics up but the wear is definitely there. Like you I don't really mind and mine isn't worn to the point where it's chipping but I can see some folks not liking that attribute, especially a range rat like me who goes through buckets like water on a hot day.

I don't know as a definite but chances are no. Just look at the popularity of this thread in comparison to the rescue and you'll see that this club holds second candle to the Rescue line. Honestly, the draw bias doesn't bother me as much as the stock shaft. Once I changed shafts out I've been able to work the ball left to right more. Granted when I do have a hooker I could definitely feel the club head cup the ball.

Sorry, I must have missed this, but which shaft did you go for?

Project X 6.0

Nice! I'm not a fan of the stock shaft either. It's either too long or too whippy or something. It leaves something to be desired. Accuracy just wasn't there for me with it. Man is it long though.

Nice! I'm not a fan of the stock shaft either. It's either too long or too whippy or something. It leaves something to be desired. Accuracy just wasn't there for me with it. Man is it long though.

You should've seen some of the shots I was hitting at the outing with this combo. Lethal.

I agree with your assessment to a degree. For some it'll be good enough but for folks that know what type of shafts work for them most of the time stock doesn't work. Personally, with this club, if one was a much smoother swinger I could see the stock shaft working.

Here's a wear pic that should be a little clearer...

87815ce2.jpg

looks like you're making some good contact there Spank!

looks like you're making some good contact there Spank!

A little on the toe but I'll take 'em. :D

Good thing this club is pretty forgiving.

Sorry I haven't posted lately on this club. I am still fighting the mishits. I am hitting the R11 3 utility alot better which is dissappointing to me. I like the feel of the 2.0 a hundred times better, if only I can figure out my issue. I may go the Spank818 route and switch out for a heavier shaft. Ill post some pics of my face wear tonite hopefully. I do want to say that any dogleg rights better watch out, I'm lethal with my slice :rockon:

Your the total opposite of me Bogey. When I was trying them out with the stock, I couldn't do anything but hook the beejeebus out of them, I was just turning on them too quickly. A heavier shaft has moved that hook back to a nice draw.

All in all, I have to say I'm quite pleased with them, more so then the Adams. The Adams is better at getting a ball out of the deep rough, but for everything else I've had better luck with the SF's. They suit my sweeping swing quite nicely.

Back